Thirty Minutes

Story Info
Just a flash in the pain.
1.2k words
3.84
96.2k
32
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ntropy586
Ntropy586
211 Followers

Okay, so it's been forever and a day since I've posted anything. Life has a way of intruding in my best-laid plans, and it turns out that I'm unwilling to give up the frequent flyer miles which seem to accompany that happening. That said, this is a flash story which was inspired by all those "Loving Wives" tales which include the well-meaning or busybody secretary (or PA) who, despite being instructed not to say anything, decides that it's appropriate to give the errant spouse an update – and, frequently, contact information – so that they can contact the wronged member of the relationship. It takes place at the tail end of any of these stories, and is (at best) a tangential story line.

Don't expect any romance, sex or even a dramatic confrontation. This is just my attempt at capturing what I hope would would happen if I was the victim of such a "well-wisher"....

-Ntropy586

---------------------------------

"Close the door behind you, please," she heard as she entered Terrance Stark's office. The summons to report to the CEO was unexpected, and her curiosity was high. It wasn't every day that a Personal Assistant was called from the factory and told to report to the executive offices. As Carolyn continued into the room, she spared a moment to examine the face of the man that everybody in the company knew, but with whom she had rarely interacted. She quickly took a seat in one of the two guest chairs in front of his desk, at which point he began to speak.

"There are questions which I need answered," he began. "First, have you spoken with Mr. Snow's wife, recently?"

"Yes," Carolyn replied, feeling that, perhaps, things between her former boss and his estranged wife were now improving. It had been gut-wrenching to learn that the two had separated, as she had always thought that her former boss and his wife were a perfect couple. Adding to the shock, it had been announced that her boss, Mr. Snow, had accepted a promotion and was transferring to the company's Phoenix location.

"I see," Mr. Stark commented, before continuing. "When did this occur?"

"Yesterday afternoon."

"And what," he asked, "did you discuss?"

"Mrs. Snow had called to speak to her husband," Carolyn answered, "but I informed her that I was unable to put her through."

"Was that all you discussed?" Mr. Stark added.

"Well," Carolyn continued, "when I informed her that I was instructed not to put her calls through, she begged for any information I might be able to provide."

"And did you?" he asked, his voice even but hinting at curiosity.

Carolyn's thoughts drifted back to the call she had taken, recalling the anguish coming through the receiver on her phone. She recalled that she had told Mrs. Snow that she couldn't talk at that moment, but had assured her that she would call her back, and then had waited until after leaving work to call and give her the information she felt would allow the 'perfect' couple to reconnect.After all,she thought,even true love needs a hand from time to time.

"She was so broken up on the phone," Carolyn explained, "that I called her back after work and talked with her, in the hopes that she and Mister Snow would be able to get back together."

"What, exactly, did you tell her?"

"Well, I told her that Mr. Snow had been promoted, and was going to be in the Phoenix offices as of next week," she answered. Looking up, she noticed that Mr. Stark's face had an almost expectant look upon it.

"Was that all?" he asked.

"Well," Carolyn replied, thinking about the conversation, "she needed to get in touch with Mr. Snow, and so I gave her the address for the company apartment he's using."

"I see. Anything else?"

"Hmmm," she intoned, as she thought about her conversation, "I also gave her the phone number for the apartment." Carolyn wasn't sure, but it seemed as if Mr. Stark's eyebrows had moved downward slightly, as if he was fighting the urge to scowl.

"And that was all, then?" Mr. Stark prompted again.

"I also gave her the phone number for the office in Phoenix," Carolyn replied, as she recalled that part of her earlier conversation. This was met with a definite look of displeasure on her questioner's face, but before she could explore what this might mean, Mr. Stark continued the discussion.

"I understand, from speaking with Mr. Snow, that you were told not to provide any information to Mrs. Snow, aside from informing her that you were instructed not to put her calls through, as he and Mrs. Snow were now separated," Terrance Stark's words were measured and even, but that did little to prevent a chill of apprehension from quickly shooting down her spine. It was obvious to Carolyn that Mr. Stark did not understand the entirety of the situation, so she hurried to explain.

"I've known Mr. and Mrs. Snow from the day that I became his Personal Assistant," Carolyn hurriedly said. "They're perfect together, and I know that this is just a bump in the road for them. Ihadto get them back together!"

Thirty minutes later, as she was left her security escort at the front door with her personal belongings contained in the box in her arms, Carolyn reflected on the end of her meeting with the company President.

"So, to make sure that I have heard you correctly," Mr. Stark began, the scowl now definitely upon his face, "you had been instructed by your direct superior to provide no information whatsoever to his estranged wife beyond the information that you couldn't put her through to her soon-to-be ex-husband. Am I correct?"

"Yes, sir," she hesitantly replied.

"You decided – on your own – that you would ignore those instructions," he continued, as if her reply was neither expected nor required, "and instead provided all the contact information you were able to come up with when you called her back. Correct?" again, the question seemed rhetorical, but she answered anyway, hoping to show him that this was for the greater good.

"Yes, but..."

"Very well," Mr. Stark continued right over her reply. "By your own admission, you are guilty of gross insubordination, and are hereby terminated immediately...and with cause. You will be escorted to your desk, where you will have thirty minutes to gather all your personal belongings before being escorted from the building."

Carolyn sat there, stunned. This wasn't supposed to happen. Mrs. Snow would reconnect with Mr. Snow, and everything would be as it should be! She was so caught up in her thoughts that she almost missed what came next.

"As we are terminating you with cause, do not expect a favorable response if we are contacted regarding your future employment endeavors," Mr. Stark concluded. He half-rose from his chair as he pressed a button on his desk, at which point the door behind her opened and two security guards entered; obviously, as far as Terrance Stark was concerned, this meeting had ended.

"But...but...Ihad to!" she exclaimed. "They belong together!"

"What youhadto do," Mr. Stark retorted, "was do what is expected of you at work. You were expected to obey any legal request made of you, and Mr. Snow's instructions where contact with his wife were concerned were in no way, shape or form in violation of the law. You heard his instructions and did the exact opposite.

"Your thirty minutes starts now."

Ntropy586
Ntropy586
211 Followers