Three Sisters of Delta Gamma Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They left the barn and ran quickly to the forest. Within a few minutes, they found five more next to trees, in the crotch of limbs and under small pieces of brush. Amy laughed or giggled with every find. Steve was exhausted and he convinced Amy to start the walk back to the house. The other cousins were running all over the place, yelling every time they found one. It was pure chaos but so much fun.

When Leonardo called time, every one made their way back to the house to determine the winner. Unlike most Easter egg hunts, the winner was not the one with the most eggs. It was the one with the most money in the eggs. All the baskets were placed on the picnic table with the name of the child attached. The adults quickly opened all the eggs and counted the money. Amy finished second with $41.25 in money and gift certificates. She was thrilled, especially when Leonardo presented her a very large second-prize red ribbon to be hung on her bedroom wall. The money didn't mean much to Amy but that ribbon was wonderful.

After relaxing and letting the kids play for another hour, the Beltons and Layla left for home in New Hope. It had been a great day.

****

Julia spent Easter weekend with Cliff at his parent's house in Bethany Beach. They went for long walks on the beach and enjoyed the sunny, but cool days. Very few of the boardwalk shops and restaurants were open as the tourist season was still a month away.

Cliff's parents were very nice and his sister Janet was delightful. She was still in high school but would graduate in June. Julia and Janet spent many hours shopping at the outlet malls and hanging out.

Late one afternoon, Cliff and Julia were walking and a field of spring wildflowers near the shoreline caught her eye. She took many photos of it from different angles as the sunset approached. The colors were vibrant and the crashing waves gave a surreal feel to the whole setting. This would be her next painting, she thought.

After Julia had taken at least 30 photos, Cliff asked, "What's special about this scene?"

"To me, there's a conflict."

"A conflict?"

"Yes. Most all of my wildlife paintings try to capture a moment of conflict or just before a conflict. The coiled rattlesnake is warning the observer not to come closer. The grizzly is attacking; the coyotes have gathered and are warily looking for an opportunity to attack. The wolf is studying the observer as a possible meal; the prairie dogs are in various stages of alert and expect an attack at any moment."

"I understand all of that, but why do flowers present a conflict?"

"It's the contrast between the flowers and the crashing ocean waves. The flowers are peaceful and quiet. Their showy colors are heart-warming and just make you want to sit down among them and smell their fragrance and study their blooms. The crashing waves are dramatic, almost angry and threatening. The observer will feel fear as they see them and that presents a strong contrast to the peaceful wildflowers. The conflict is within the observer."

"Oh, I think I understand. It's not that the painting is showing a conflict, like a fight; it's creating within the observer the feeling of a conflict."

"Exactly. It's all about the emotional connection with the observer. Some people make the connection and the painting becomes an emotion-inducing object for them. Others don't make the connection and walk on to the next painting."

"You're saying that the painting must create a personal experience for someone to admire and buy it."

"Think about it. You walk up to a painting and it's nice, the colors are good and may go with your decorating scheme. But unless it stirs your soul, capturing your emotions, you're not going to pay the money to acquire it. Fan posters, for example, stir the feeling of pride, of your team versus the world. In your mind, the image of the grizzly, for example, represents the character and fearlessness of your team."

Cliff nodded.

Julia took a few more photos before resuming their walk.

"Jules told me when you went to the ladies room that you were going to become a very wealthy young lady."

"With his help, I might. Does that concern you?"

"Of course not."

She took his hand and said, "I don't believe you."

After several moments, he replied, "There's that Wyoming directness again."

"I can't help it. Ever since Jules came to the show, I've noticed subtle changes in you. I think there's a part of you that's not happy about all of this."

They walked on for several moments before Cliff replied. "Seriously, Julia, I am very happy for you. That takes a lot of pressure off you running the ranch."

"Sweetheart, this is not a me or you situation. We're partners in everything. I need you more than ever. I just have the feeling that you're having second thoughts."

"I don't know why you feel that way."

"Cliff, you and I both came from a traditional background. Our dads made the money in our families and took on the role of breadwinner and provider like their dads before them. We are both very comfortable in that family structure. Now, it looks a little different with my art bringing in a lot of money. That concerns me and I'm sensing it concerns you. The money will create a much more comfortable future for us but if it's a wedge between us, I'll stop painting right now. You mean much more to me than painting."

"I could never ask you to do that. It's your passion. Julia, I really don't know why I feel like I do. Maybe it's jealousy, maybe it's the feeling that you really don't need me or that I will end up being dependent on you. I just don't know."

"Sweetheart, all of this was unexpected and is new to both of us. The thing that has not changed is the fact that I love you more than anything else. The only way I can continue painting is if you support me and run the ranch and your accounting business. I am very dependent on you. Cliff, you're the head of the family. There can only be one head of the family. I do love to paint and it is a passion of mine. But you're more important to me."

"Do you want to have children?" he asked.

"Absolutely. At least three."

"But they will take your time away from painting."

She stopped and stared at him before replying. "Where the hell did that come from?"

"I'm just saying that you're going to have more priorities than time."

She continued to stare at him. "Now I understand. You're really worried about my priorities. You're concerned that my painting will replace other important activities."

They walked on in the fading sunlight. Cliff reached for her hand and said, "I think that's part of my concern."

"And the other part is that you want to be the provider and take care of me?"

"I think most men feel they have that responsibility. Maybe that goes back to our caveman days of being the hunters."

"Sweetheart, I want to be taken care of. I love the idea of being a kept woman by my loving husband." She stopped and pulled him close for a kiss.

Julia grinned and said, "I promise to be very sensitive to our priorities. But, we must talk about our concerns when they come up. Waiting a few months and letting it grow into a bigger concern is not good. I need you. I really need you. I don't want anything to come between us. Can we promise to be more open and honest when something is bothering us?"

"I promise."

"Cliff, I've never had an income. This is all new to me. I do think we need to plan what to do with that money as it comes in. If it's as much as Jules indicates, we need to do careful tax planning and have an investment strategy. I'm depending on you for that."

"How about we put some of it into a trust of some kind for our kids?" Cliff asked.

"That's a wonderful idea. Our spending money would then come from your work and the ranch but the money from the art goes into savings and a trust for our kids."

"Let me look into it and talk to some people smarter than me. There are lots of tax-saving opportunities and the ranch may present even more. I just need to dive into it."

They walked back to the house, arriving well after sunset. Julia was very relieved to now understand at least some of Cliff's concerns. She knew that going forward, she must be very sensitive to his feelings. Layla was exactly right... Cliff needed to feel important in their marriage and that was her responsibility.

****

Eric tried several times before reaching Melissa at the rehab center on Monday morning. She agreed to meet him for lunch but was very surprised by his invitation.

They met as planned at a restaurant near her facility. They hugged and kissed each other's cheeks before being seated.

After pleasantries, they placed their orders before Melissa said, "There's obviously something on your mind and I'm sensing it's not pleasant. What's the problem?"

"Amy has been a problem for the last week. She had two separate incidents at school that were severe enough for the teachers to call my mother. She was being very combative and hit a boy. Mom found her crying in bed one afternoon but Amy wouldn't tell her or anyone what was bothering her. When I was with her on Saturday, she and I went for a walk along the river. We sat on the bank and she crawled into my lap and begged me not to send her away."

"Send her away?"

"Yes. She said that when she was with you last weekend, you told her that I might have her live with you after Layla and I had a baby. She didn't want to leave me."

"Oh no. That's not what I said. We were talking about her coming over more often and I asked her if she would like to do that? She said yes and then I said that maybe after you and Layla had a baby that you would let her see me more often. I never implied that she would permanently move in with me." Eric could tell from her reaction and her eyes that she was not telling the truth.

"She's only four years old, Melissa. She understood something totally different. She internalized it and was worried all week that I was going to give her away to you and she wouldn't see me again. That's what caused her anxiety and all the problems in school. You've got to be very sure she understands when you tell her something. I told her that I'd never give her away and that she will live with me until it's time for her to be on her own. If you want more time with her, let's talk about that with Amy and all come to an agreement."

"Of course. I'd like more time with her. Could we consider going to one weekend a month?"

"Let me talk to Amy and Layla and I'll let you know. Amy is the most believing person in the world. She believes adults when they tell her something. The thought that an adult would fib to her has never crossed her mind. Layla and she pray together every night and Amy always has a list of people and things she wants to pray for. You are almost always on that list."

"Thanks for telling me. I promise to never talk to her again about staying with me or frequency of visits. I'm sorry that this happened."

"Let's just make sure it doesn't happen again."

When Eric returned home, he told Layla and Amy what Melissa had said. Amy was very quiet and probably realized for the first time that adults will tell a fib. There was no doubt in her mind that her first mommy had said she was going to live with her after a new baby was born. When Eric asked Layla and Amy about increasing the number of visits, Amy was very quick to say no. Layla looked at Eric and they both agreed with her. In her prayers that night, nothing was mentioned about her first mommy but she did want to pray for Miss Annie.

****

Springtime was beautiful in Delaware. Masses of tulips, daffodils and pansies seemed to be on every street corner and in every yard. The flowering trees were spectacular. The sisters began walking to classes rather than driving or catching the campus bus.

As graduation approached, the girls had a feeling of melancholy. Their four fantastic years were coming to a close and the future would separate them by hundreds and hundreds of miles. All remained busy with sorority commitments, classes, planning for Layla's wedding, and visits from Amy, video production, painting and dating. The guys were over at the house several times a week and often stayed overnight.

Eric moved out of the townhouse to make room for Gabby. The girls and guys all pitched in to move his furniture and belongings. The furniture went into temporary storage and his clothing to the house in Newark. When Gabby was ready to move, the girls and guys helped with that and then celebrated with a delicious dinner prepared by Michelle, complete with homemade cookies. Amy was thrilled.

Eric and Layla were able to find a townhouse in Ardmore that was about half way between Radnor, where Layla's parents lived, and the University of Pennsylvania. It would be available August 1. Anna had already volunteered to keep Amy whenever Layla needed a babysitter.

As an early wedding gift to Layla and Eric, Paulo and his wife Tina paid their townhouse rent for two years. Both were shocked at the generosity of her brother and many tears were shed when Tina informed Layla.

The love between Susanna and Charles bloomed. They were often together and frequently cooked meals and watched Netflix movies at the house. Susanna learned that one doesn't need to spend money in order to have a great date. They occasionally went to local restaurants and bars but were sometimes interrupted by autograph seekers. Susanna always turned them down and Charles helped by standing up and looming over them until they walked away.

Susanna's dad called her one evening and said that he had sold the house to the father of another girl who was coming to Delaware from Raleigh so they didn't have to move out anytime soon. That was a big relief to the sisters.

Julia took her painting of the seaside flowers to Jules one morning. Upon arriving, she saw a scurry of activity in the office area. Jamie, the office manager, met Julia as she entered carrying the painting. They exchanged quick hugs.

"What's going on?" Julia asked.

"A very large shipment of paintings and prints just arrived from Italy and your grizzly is on the shipping list. We're trying to get everything organized and inspected to make sure nothing was damaged. Will you have time today to sign and number the prints?"

"Actually, I do. I just need to call Cliff and cancel our lunch plans."

"Is this your latest creation?" Jamie asked as she gazed at the painting leaning against the desk.

"Yes. I departed from wildlife to do this scene. I'm interested in what Jules says about it."

"Honey, he's going to love it. This is beautiful. I really like the colors and those waves are perfect. I don't know how you do it, Julia."

"I love nature and animals and that comes out in my work."

"Jules talks about you to everyone. I wish you could hear how he brags about your work. I've been with him for 22 years and he's never been so excited about an artist."

"Thank you. That's great to hear."

The office door opened and Jules emerged with an elderly gentleman. They walked together to Julia and Jamie.

"Julia, I'm glad you're here. I want you to meet Robert Grey. Robert, this is Julia Richards, the young lady I've mentioned to you."

Julia's heart was pounding with excitement.

"Julia, it's a pleasure to meet you. Jules has shown me photos of your work and we were just headed out to the showroom to let me see them in person."

"Mr. Grey, I'm honored and very happy to meet you. I've admired your wildlife paintings for many years. The textbook in one of my classes has a chapter devoted to your work. You've influenced me as much as any living artist."

"That's always nice to hear. There'll be a generation of artists who'll say the same about you."

They walked together into the gallery. There were six rooms and hundreds of paintings, etchings, statues and pottery throughout. When they approached the large timber wolf painting, Robert stopped half way across the room and gazed at it for a few moments. He walked closer and stood there for many seconds to study. He then walked closer and put on his reading glasses to see the small detailed brush strokes.

Julia didn't know what to think or say so she remained silent. Jules touched her arm and flashed her a wide smile. After what seemed to be minutes, but was probably 20 seconds, Robert turned and smiled and stepped toward her. "Julia, I'm astonished. Jules told me that you were a very young but accomplished artist. He didn't tell me you have redefined wildlife art. I'm stunned. You've captured the spirit and character of this wolf. I have never seen that done to this degree. Its eyes tell the story of its life and makes me feel the fear that a person should feel when in the presence of this magnificent predator."

"Thank you sir." Julia felt hot and knew she must be blushing.

They walked to the next room for Robert to see the coyotes and prairie dogs. He had similar comments about each of them. Julia was speechless as his praise flowed.

Jules said, "Robert, the other one I want you to see just arrived this morning from Italy."

"Oh, you had prints made?"

"Yes. It's an amazing painting."

They walked together to the office and the conference room where all the paintings were being uncrated. Jamie was there overseeing the process.

Jules asked, "Has Julia's painting been uncrated?"

"Yes. It's leaning against the far wall." Jules walked there and found it facing the wall like all the others. He carefully pulled it out and turned it to face Robert and Julia.

"Oh my!" Robert exclaimed. He walked to it and stopped as before. After several seconds, he turned to Julia and extended his arms to hug her. They embraced as everyone cheered. All the office help just realized that they were present when the two best wildlife artists in the world embraced.

"Julia, can I adopt you?" Robert asked. Everyone in the room erupted with laughter.

"I'm afraid I've been taken," she said with a sly grin.

"Young lady, I uh, I'm uh. Well I don't know what to say. I won't try to invent a new superlative. Jules, I trust you have put her with the very best representation."

"Yes, she's with Jack Casita."

"Excellent."

"Julia, take Jack's advice. He will have your best interest in mind. There are many unscrupulous characters in the art world but he's not one of them."

"Thank you sir."

Jules asked Jamie, "Have the prints of the grizzly been opened?"

"They're in the other conference room waiting for Julia to sign."

"Let's go take a look," Robert said. They walked into the adjacent room and saw the 250 prints stacked neatly in front of a workspace.

Jules advised, "This is her first print."

The three carefully studied the artwork. Julia was very excited to see the perfect quality of the reproduction and her heart raced as she turned over a few of the copies.

"Julia, we need to give you some special gloves to wear when you handle these. We have a 4B pencil for you to use for the numbers and your signature."

Robert asked, "May I buy one?"

"Sir, I will give you one."

"Absolutely not! Don't ever give away your work. This is only going to increase in value over the years so don't feel bad about charging for it. Also, as Jules will tell you, never sell number one of a limited edition. You must keep that for your children. It's like money in the bank and you don't have to pay taxes on it."

"That's a great idea. I have a lot to learn."

"We all had to learn. I'm going to give you my phone number. If you ever have a question or just want to talk about something, give me a call. I called many other artists when I was young and we all need to lean on each other. You're with a great gallery and a great lawyer so you're already getting solid advice. But sometimes a second opinion will help your thought process and generate a new idea."