Thylacine Alpha Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So much had been lost because of the move. The ties to the land of their original home were severed together with the innate connection each member of the pack had with each other. They were a relatively new lycanthrope type. Europeans have only inhabited Australia for a couple of centuries and thus exposed to the marsupial apex predators recently, compared to the wolves and great cats of the other continents. Only a small percentage of people carry the lycan gene and even less could come into contact and be changed. They were a small group, made smaller by splitting to different parts of the country. The different Alphas could not agree, but the largest numbers settled in the west where they did not have to fight for land with the canine Were-Dingoes. This thought led Dave to wonder if the dogs of the east were behind these troubles. Dave had unknowingly come to the same conclusion as Brian.

+++++

They had reached a quiet stretch of road winding through dense bush land. Brian could only catch glimpses of the guards' vehicle behind them as they rounded the curves. After one bend a large SUV was catching up from behind after obviously passing the other car. Brian kept to the left side of the road giving the larger vehicle ample space to pass, but instead it matched their pace while next to them. Suspicion was the obvious reaction to this manoeuvre, and Brian slowed slightly. The other vehicle matched them, suddenly swerved and sideswiped their car. Just being able to keep control of the car using his higher than normal strength, Brian stayed on the road and attempted to evade another hit. He was almost successful only getting hit on the front fender with the rear of the SUV. They spun in a few circles as Brian tried regaining control. He managed to drive out of the spin but the SUV had stopped side on in front of them causing Brian to brake hard to a stop.

By this time the following car had caught up to them and screeched to a stop with tyres smoking. Before they had come to a total stop the passenger Were Devil had his door open and gun in hand. He was hit with bullets emanating from the men in the dark SUV. Brian went into reverse, gunning the engine as fast as he could while bullets smashed into the front of the car. He swung around to face the opposite direction and accelerated away, trying to see through a cracked and shattered windscreen.

Dave called out, "What about your men, we need to help them."

Brian yelled back, "I need to get you to safety Dave. They know what to do. This is their job. In the glove box. Grab the gun."

Dave did as told and they drove for a couple of kilometres and pulled into a rest stop off the side of the road as Brian could feel problems with the car. They stopped behind a screen of trees and scrub so they were mostly hidden from the road. He then set about clearing the glass so he could see the road. A quick check proved that neither of them had been hit, but the vehicle had sustained damage to the front tyres and the engine was leaking coolant. Brian pulled his phone out and rang his home base, while Dave did the same. They were too far from the Devils' home for any help to arrive from the Devils, but Dave was assured his pack would mobilise immediately being much closer.

Shutting the connection Brian spoke up, "The car is stuffed. Not much we can do but wait, and hope my guys are okay. They will ring when the problem is sorted. We should stay here, but I think we can find a better spot to hold up till help arrives."

He never stopped searching the direction of the road and around them. Brian answered a call on his phone and smiled as he listened, but this soon dropped as another large SUV passed their position. He told his men of the possible new threat and led Dave to a shelter at the rear of the park area. This was built of local stone wall to waist height, with roof over the top supported on stone columns. They were almost there when gun shots could be heard.

Settling in their shelter Brian spoke up, "I assume your people will be here soon?"

"About ten minutes I think, let me ring them."

Dave gave his pack home a call to avail them of the new situation and was assured help would be as fast as possible.

Brian then commented, "This wall won't last long, but better than nothing. Whoever they are in the second car will know we had not gone far as they did not see us on the road. So if the worst happens they will soon be backtracking to search.

"Shit!" The last comment from Brian as the gun shots stopped and the lack of a message on his phone told him the story.

Dave looked at his expression and commented, "Not a good sign then?"

He had barely finished his question when the large SUV could be heard slowly driving towards their position. It was going slow and pausing regularly, obviously searching for them. It became obvious they had spotted the car in the parking bay when it slowly entered the area from the other end. Brian and Dave stayed hidden as best they could whilst still keeping tabs on the SUV.

Dave pulled his phone to make another call as the SUV stopped near their vehicle and doors opened. They could hear movement on the gravel surface and Brian risked a quick peak. He held up three fingers to Dave and indicated by mime that they were armed with automatic weapons. Dave raised his eyebrows in surprise and nodded in response. The gravel sounds stopped for a moment and they heard a whispered conversation, although not the content. Neither man needed to know what was said, to know what the topic was.

He sent a hurried message by phone to his pack as he heard the men make their way slowly towards them. Not much noise was made but even a small amount was enough for the pair to hear clearly. They knew they could survive a certain amount of bullet wounds that would likely kill normal men, but they were not immune to the debilitating effects of injuries. A bullet to the heart was still a bullet to the heart and would slow down even the best of men, giving the advantage to the lesser injured person. In the middle of a battle like this changing to your Were was not an option as the process of change would put you at a disadvantage. Plus animals are even less use in a gun fight.

Their only advantage was that they had some cover and they were not as yet injured. The three other men could be heard splitting apart and slowly approaching the shelter. So far Brian had taken the lead as he had more hands on experience with his time in the police force and his life of a Were-Devil. He gestured for them to spread apart as much as possible behind the low wall. When in their positions Brian raised himself to fire a couple of shots at their enemy. He quickly dropped back as return fire was rapid.

They were not aware of the reaction to his firing, but he had hoped to slow down the men and make them find shelter themselves. This would at best give them more time for help to arrive. Dave could see his friend's spot being targeted by a lot of gun fire. If this kept up for long the wall would break apart from the continual impact. He raised himself and fired his own weapon in the direction he thought the men were located. It had the immediate effect of stopping the hail of bullets aimed at Brian, but only temporary. Soon the automatic fire resumed, but this time with two targets. Dave considered this to be some help as it might help the wall stay in one piece for longer.

Both men were getting cut from flying stone chips, but remained hidden trying to keep tabs on the origins of the gun fire. There was not much they could do with the situation being one sided. Dave had just noticed the reduction in bullets coming their way when he saw movement on the other side of Brian. A head popped up over the wall followed by the upper part of a man complete with his weapon. It was times like this when the superior reflexes, speed and judgement of being a Were came in handy. Dave was able to re-position himself, aim his handgun and fire two shots before the assailant could bring his own gun to aim and fire, although one burst occurred. Fortunately this was not aimed at them as the man had been hit in the chest and head and was either dead or out of action, depending on who or what he was. Worst case is they did not have to be worried about him for a while.

Gun fire continued, pausing only when the weapons need re-arming. Brian was trying to determine the timing to get a shot at them, as he worked out when the gun aimed at him took a pause. He had a rough idea where they were from his previous hurried shots. He was about to raise himself when he heard vehicles entering the parking area. He hoped they were not innocent drivers wanting a rest. Both men breathed a sigh of relief when they stopped being the targets and new shooting was happening away from them. As one they knelt up behind the wall to add their support to the new arrivals.

The two remaining assailants tried to defend themselves against the newcomers, but with two vehicles filled with armed vengeful Weres, they had no chance. They did not surrender and tried to escape but were cut down as they ran. Brian and David were relieved to be safe and slumped against their crumbling protection. Six of the new arrivals secured the area, making certain the assailants could make no more trouble. Two from the vehicles hurried to the shelter to check on the men. David looked up at the new arrivals seeing a man and a woman, both tall at almost two metres and athletically slim. As is the style of Were-Tigers they were attractive with the normal brown eyes and light brown hair.

+++++

These two were Betas of the Tiger pack, Nicola and Trent, meaning they answered only to the Alpha. Nicola was the pack doctor and Trent the enforcer. In the normal course of life, adult Weres did not require medical treatment, undergoing a change would fix most problems. It was only in extreme cases for adults that a doctor, or veterinarian, was needed. Children and teen Were are different, needing medical treatment for most normal injuries and ailments. They did have a natural immunity to the majority of human illnesses, but occasionally something did cause problems. Nicola and Trent were life partners, and when not carrying out their primary duties managed the pack home, ensuring it was maintained, stocked and staffed.

The relationship between David, as the younger son of the Alpha, and the pack Betas was close to being equals. Close enough that they had been friends for a long time. A Beta only obeyed the orders of the Alpha. Of course as the Alpha was dead, and succession of Alpha normally went the first born, similar to the British monarchy system. So technically David's brother, Reginald, was now the Alpha elect. Somehow though this pair of Beta showed more respect to David as though he were the Alpha and not Reginald.

Neither David nor Brian required medical treatment but Nicola checked them thoroughly to be sure. The cuts and abrasions they had received were too superficial to even need to undergo a change. They would heal and disappear on their own.

David had been given the all clear and Brian was suffering his check when David asked, "How are the Devils? They took the full brunt of our attack."

Trent responded, "John took too many hits to his head. He was unable to change before death overtook him. James didn't fare much better, but he was still alive when we arrived. We could not delay any longer to help him, but now that you are safe we can see to him. We had to leave him, sorry Brian we knew they were your pack but our concern was for David."

Brian acknowledged what Trent was saying and agreed with him, even though the loss and injury to his pack mates was hard on him.

David asked another question, "Do you know who our attackers were? Did they survive so we can question them?"

Trent looked back to David as he answered, "They are just humans, which is worrisome on its own. If humans have found out about us then we could be in trouble, well, more trouble than normal. I will follow up trying to trace them. Perhaps you could help with this Brian?"

Brian nodded and said, "If we can get decent facial photos, finger prints and check for any tats et cetera then I will run them when I get back to headquarters."

Trent thanked him and went to organise this after saying, "David why don't you go with Brian and Nicola to check on James and head onto the pack house. We can clean up this mess and borrow their vehicle to follow you."

They nodded agreement and said their farewells to the group, leaving them to the grizzly task of checking the bodies and disposing of them in the scrub. When the three arrived at the scene of the first fight, they found James unconscious hiding away from the road. He had changed to his Devil and although most injuries were now better, he would need help with sustenance and rest to regain the energy he lost in his change and repairs. They managed to get John into the boot of the vehicle to return him for a proper burial. The attackers bodies were bundled into the bushes out of view and would be disposed of later by Trent and his crew.

Nicola didn't want to waste any more time here than necessary, concerned for Davids welfare. They helped James into the back seat where Nicola could use her veterinary skills to treat him, and they left to hurry to their original destination of the Tiger pack home.

+++++

It did not take them very long and the place was a very sombre town as the pack was in mourning for the loss of the Alpha and his life partner. Reginald was not due back until later that day with their remains. Brian would be transporting his injured pack mate tomorrow together with the three deceased Were-Devils to their pack base. The two Devils guarding the Tiger Alpha had died as well. He would be joined tomorrow by some pack mates to become the new Tiger Alpha guard. The others to join him will help him accompany and honour their fallen comrades for the journey home.

David talked quietly to his nearby pack mates, giving and receiving solace in just being in their company. He went to the home of his parents where he quietly sat, this being the first time he had realised the total loss. He had a place of his own here, shared with his brother, but today he wanted to feel close to his mother and father. It meant a lot as they were not just the pack leaders, but his family. The first time he had to suffer the loss of anyone quite this close.

He slipped into a restful sleep, thinking he should have contacted his brother about his successful escape of the attack on the road. His half conscious mind then thought, "Why bother, he'll be here soon enough, and not as though anything could be done now. It was all over."

He slept until the sounds from outside of the vehicles arriving and doors opening and closing noisily. David stretched after standing and, with a deep breath, went outside to greet his brother, and his sad cargo. Reginald had his back to where David approached giving orders to the others, as he was wont to always do. David chuckled to himself that his brother was always giving orders, getting everyone to do his bidding.

He couldn't remember the last time they had ever just had a conversation. It was always about things to be done, that had to be done or what Reggie dreamed up for others to do. Dave could also have a hard time remembering when he had seen Reginald actually do anything for himself. He was always too self important and acting pompous. His lack of physical exertion showed in his large body, instead of being lean and fit like the rest of the pack.

He called a greeting to his brother as he approached, "Hi Reggie. Good to see you back."

Reginald stopped giving orders to respond to the new voice as he was turning around, "How dare you call me that. My name has never been Reggie, it is Reginald. I should now be only called Alpha. Start again you..."

David thought the he saw a startled look on his brother's face as he stopped mid-sentence, but it was too quickly changed to be sure. Reginald smiled as he greeted his brother back, "It is good to see you little brother. I am pleased to see you survived."

Shaking his hand Reginald guided his brother to a spot away from the others where he sternly whispered, "Hear this little brother. With father's demise I am now Alpha. You will treat me with due respect, and always refer to me as Alpha. I will not put up with your lack of respect like father did. Do you understand me, little brother?"

David stood there staring at his sole surviving family. He always knew Reggie was a pompous ass, but this dictatorial command so soon after their parents loss had him bewildered. Opening and closing his mouth as various responses flitted through his mind, he started to feel like a gold fish. Excluding just about all possible answers he settled for the one least likely to rile up his older sibling. After all no point getting him too worked up this early in his rule.

He consoled himself to the fact that Reggie was only Alpha-elect until the pack pledged allegiance and confirmed his position as Alpha. Alternatively a challenger might come forward and manage to win the contest for leadership. His stick-up-his-arse brother will have to sweat it for a bit longer until the next full moon cycle. This meant he would have to wait for about five weeks as the full moon was due in six days. Until then he could not do much except piss everyone off. Dave could only hope someone would decide to oust him, after all it wouldn't take too much effort to fight the lump of lard.

Dave himself couldn't care less for the leader's role, happy to just be himself without too many worries. A cloud passed over his thoughts as he recalled the events of today. Surely everyone knew he was not going to push to be the Alpha. Let his pompous brother have all the fun and ulcers. This all went through his mind in moments as he finally came up with a suitable reply.

"Oh, I understand completely your highness," and before the gold fish mouth could make legible sound on his Alpha's face he turned and left him standing there. Neither noticed Brian and Nicola in the shadows of the clinic that was near to where the brothers had talked. They glanced meaningfully at each other, knowing that this was not going to be an easy time to come.

David went to the clinic following the entourage taking the dead inside. Here they would be cleaned and prepared for the burial. The pair from the shadows followed him inside where David found a chair near the resting place.

When the others had left the room David motioned to Nicola to come near. He whispered into her ear so softly that Brian could barely hear from just a metre away.

"Nic, I need you to check thoroughly for how they died. If you can do this without alerting anyone I would appreciate it. You'll be doing any cleaning that is needed anyway," seeing her surprised look he continued, "They died last night, and today I have had two attempts on my life. I know they died in a car crash, but could you see if anything else contributed."

She looked at Dave for a moment as she considered his request, then nodded her agreement, "I'll do what I can," and looking to Brian, "Could you take some samples with you to Perth and get them tested?"

Brian nodded, "Of course, anything I can do to help. I assume Dave, that you want this done without anyone else knowing?"

"Thanks to the two of you. Yea, if we can keep this to just us. I am concerned as all hell that more trouble is coming. Shit, I should be dead twice already today."

Nicola added, "Just know this Dave, I am doing this as your friend. I will not say anything to anyone else, but know that I can't go against my Alpha. If he asks I will have to tell him, but for you I will not volunteer anything unless compelled."