Tim and Amy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I have a surprise for you," Tim said.

Pam raised her eyebrows. "Do I know about it?" she asked.

Tim smiled. "Actually, no – but I already know you'll like it."

When we'd finished our meal, we watched television for a while, then I said, "Well, if something special is happening tomorrow, I think I'll get an early night, so I can enjoy it, whatever it is."

"Me too," said Laura, and we went upstairs.

After breakfast the next morning, Tim said, "OK, time we were off."

"Do we need anything?" asked Laura.

"Not a thing," Tim grinned.

We got in the car and set off out of town. We'd just left the suburban sprawl behind when Tim turned off the main road. After a few minutes, Tim turned again, and we passed through open gates and onto a short gravelled drive. We pulled up in front of a large Georgian house, and Tim stopped the car in what would once have been the carriage circle.

"Doesn't look like anyone's about," he said. "Hop out and let's have a look round."

We got out of the car, and Tim walked towards the front door. He pushed it, and it swung easily open. We walked through into a large hallway, with Oriental rugs covering the oak flooring.

"Tim," said Pam, "shouldn't we wait for someone before just wandering around?"

"Don't worry," he replied, "I guarantee the owner won't have any objections."

Pam followed him, Laura and I tagging on behind, and we looked briefly into a snug living room before moving on to the large panelled dining room, with a view out onto an extensive lawn.

"Nice," I said. "I can imagine peacocks on the grass, and croquet, and everything."

We came back into the hall, and went further back, entering the kitchen.

"Oh, I've always wanted an Aga," said Pam, placing a hand on the chrome rail at the front of the range.

"Me too," said Laura. "I just love the warmth."

"Let's take a look upstairs," Tim said.

We retraced our steps, and he went first, up the wide staircase onto a landing which ran all the way round the upper floor, overlooking the hallway.

"Master bedroom here – think they've had an en suite put in," Tim said. "Guest rooms here, and a bathroom between with connecting doors. Like something out of Agatha Christie."

"Wonder what this door is?" I said.

Tim turned the handle, and we walked through into a short hallway. To one side was a large room with a dining table and chairs, and on the other side we looked through into a compact but well-equipped kitchen. At the end of the hallway a door led into a comfortable lounge. At the other end of the lounge, through an archway, I glimpsed a bathroom, and two more open doors, each of which led into a spacious bedroom.

"Gosh, what a nice self-contained flat," said Laura.

Tim grinned. "Looks like there are some stairs down from the balcony. We can get down to the back without even going through the house."

He opened the doors onto the balcony, and we went down the stairs, finding ourselves at the back of the house. To one side there was a tennis court, and on the other a long, low brick building with a door towards one end of the blank wall facing us.

"Let's take a look what's in here," he said.

He opened the door, and motioned to us to precede him.

"Gosh," I said. "This pool's bigger than yours!"

Laura walked down the side of the pool. "Sauna too, and a hot tub, and showers. Neat!"

Then she looked across the pool, out through the floor-to-ceiling glass. Beyond was another wide lawn, then a short path through overhanging bushes through which another building was partly visible, again with tall windows.

"That almost looks like a studio," she said.

"Go and have a look," Tim suggested.

We followed her out across the lawn and down the path, and as she opened the studio door we could see her artist's eye taking in the aspect of the windows, and the way that the light would fall at different times of the day.

I saw the look on her face – not even desire, but a pure expression of 'if only'.

"So what do you think to the place?" Tim said.

"It's gorgeous," said Pam.

"That flat was such a great idea," I added, "Don't you think, Laura?"

Laura didn't immediately respond, and I could see the picture in her mind, of an easel, and space, and privacy to create. She nodded.

"I'm glad," Tim said. He paused, then added casually, "I'm not sure they'd take it back – I can't quite remember now where I put the receipt."

The look on Pam's face as he dropped his bombshell was a picture – I watched utter shock vying with disbelief and hope-against-hope delight.

"How...?" she managed, then, "When?"

"The company did well last year, and you know I opted in to the profit-share scheme. So I looked around, and when I saw this place, I just knew it had everything we needed. I think it was the flat that finally settled it for me, if I'd needed any convincing – it's just what the girls need, a little more independence, practically a place of their own."

Pam wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly. Laura and I joined in the hug, already bursting with plans and ideas.

"When can we move in?" I asked.

"Straight away," Tim replied. I blinked, and said, "Really?"

"I'll call the movers and they'll get started," Tim said. "I booked the same firm the company use to relocate our senior people – they're very good. They do literally everything – they even have specialists to take care of your art, Laura, and they have specific instructions not to uncover the canvas you're working on."

He took out his mobile and dialled, speaking one word, "Yes."

Pam sat down on a lounger by the pool. "Goodness, Tim," she said when he put the phone away, "you have been busy."

He sat down beside her. "It was worth it," he said.

"Tim?" said Laura. "Can Amy and I go up to the flat? We have to decide who has which bedroom."

"Of course," he grinned. "Take your time!"

We raced off back towards the house and up the stairs back into the flat.

We went through the lounge, and looked at the two bedrooms.

"You can have the one on the corner," Laura said. "There's more light, for when you'll be studying. And you can see the studio from here, so we'll be able to see one another, even when I'm painting."

We moved the desk under the window, then Laura said, "You know what, Amy?"

"Hmm?" I said.

"I really don't want to sleep by myself – so how about you just use this room as a study, and we make a bedroom out of the other one?"

"Sounds great," I said. We pushed the bed back against the far wall to make the most of the floor space, then went into the other room.

"Perfect," said Laura, seeing the king-size bed. "We can make it up when the movers get here."

We went back into the living room. "Think the television should go there," I said, indicating one corner.

Laura nodded. "We'll put a sofa and a couple of armchairs so we can sit and watch," she said.

I heard the sound of an engine in the distance and went out of the front door of the flat onto the landing. "Hey, Laura, there's a removal van arriving."

We dashed down the stairs from the balcony and back to Tim and Pam.

"We saw the van turn in through the gates," I said breathlessly.

Tim grinned. "Let's go and see what's arrived," he said.

We spent the rest of the afternoon directing the movers where to place everything. Tim and I helped Laura get her art materials into the studio.

"Goodness, did we have all that in the house?" Tim teased.

Laura looked at the pile, the beginnings of distraction in her face.

"Plenty of time for that tomorrow," Tim said with a smile, "Don't zone out on us now."

She came back to reality and said, "Guess so. Anyway, the light's starting to go."

She turned to Tim and kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks, Tim, this is so amazing!"

We returned to the house, finding Pam in the kitchen. She had already organised the contents of the freezer and was busy cooking our first meal on the Aga.

"That smells great," I said. "Can I try the sauce?"

Pam handed me a teaspoon and I scooped a little of the liquid from the pan. "Mmm," I said, "delicious."

"So let's eat," said Laura. Pam ladled out bowls of the stew, and we sat at the kitchen table in a pool of light.

"Gosh, what a day!" said Pam as she laid down her spoon. "I'm exhausted – I think I'll turn in."

"I'll come up in a bit," Tim said.

"Why don't you come and watch TV with us for a while in the flat?" I said. "You can be our first visitor."

Tim grinned. "OK," he said. We dashed upstairs and into the flat, while Tim walked with Pam to their room.

A couple of minutes later we heard a gentle knock on the door of the flat. I opened it, surprised, and Tim said "Pam and I will always knock – the flat's your space, and we're coming in by your courtesy."

I grinned, and he stepped in. I closed the door behind him.

Laura came out of the shower wearing only a dressing gown. Tim raised his eyebrows, and I grinned. "Laura and I have already decided, when it's just the two of us, that we're going to be informal."

"Shall we give you the tour?" Laura said.

She waved at the dining room. "We haven't really done anything in there yet."

Tim followed her into the kitchen. "Not much to see here either," I said from behind him. "We grabbed a couple of boxes of cereal and some milk from the movers, and I had a jar of coffee, but if we're going to have bacon sandwiches we'll need to get some supplies in."

Tim grinned at my reference to the breakfast that had become practically a tradition for us on mornings when Pam wasn't around. "Definitely bacon sandwiches," he said.

"Come and see the living room," I urged.

We went in, and Tim looked round the room, the first time he'd seen it after dark. We'd drawn the curtains across the doors to the balcony, and placed candles here and there around the room. We'd arranged the furniture to provide a cosy lounging area for watching television, and shadows from the candles flickered in the corners.

"Gosh, this is lovely," Tim said. He sat down on the couch facing the television and said, "So, what's on?"

"Hey," said Laura, feigning disappointment, "you haven't seen everywhere yet."

"Oh, that's right," he said, grinning.

Tim got up, and we walked across the room and through the far archway. "The bathroom even has a corner tub like the old house," I said.

"That's Amy's room," Laura said, pointing to the right hand door.

Tim glanced in, seeing the bed pushed against the wall and my study desk under the window. He looked into the other room, and gave us a quizzical look, noticing that the king-size bed seemed to be made up for two.

"We're so used to being in the same bedroom that we decided to carry on that way," I explained. "It means I can use my room pretty much just as a study, and leave it how I want."

"Well," said Tim, "it's pretty much time for bed. Why don't you two get ready, and I'll tuck you in." He closed his eyes.

I undressed, and pulled on my long t-shirt, then Laura slipped out of her clothes. We got into bed, and I said, "This is great – loads of room."

Tim pulled the covers over us, and kissed each of us gently on the forehead. He turned out the light, and left us to enjoy our first night of sleep in our new home.

***

We settled in quickly, and when the end of term came, Laura and I pretty much took over running the house, while Tim and Pam continued their usual routine. The summer was perfect, and we alternated between the pool, the tennis court, and sunbathing on the lawn outside the studio. At weekends we all went for long walks and picnics.

The autumn term seemed to come too quickly, though the days were still warm, the shadows lengthening just a little earlier. I settled back into lectures, while Laura tried her hand at sculpting, in clay and then in stone. She continued to paint – always her first love – and the walls of the house filled up with local scenes, as well as canvases based on photos and sketches of our time in India.

Christmas came and went – Tim bought Pam her usual pamper trip for Boxing Day, and took us for lunch at Mario's before we went shopping.

January was grey, but I concentrated on studying, preparing for my year out at Tim's company. Two weeks had been hard work, and I was expecting the placement to be a huge challenge as well as an amazing opportunity.

One day a few weeks after Christmas, when Pam had left for work, Laura and I were sitting at the breakfast table when Tim came to sit with us. His expression was serious.

"Girls, I need to tell you something. It might turn out to be something straightforward, but Pam hasn't been feeling at all well lately. She's going to go to the doctor's, and we'll see what comes of that. But it would be great if you could do what you can to help her, and understand if she seems less patient some of the time."

"Gosh," I said, "I really do hope it's nothing serious."

Laura nodded, not speaking.

Tim got up. "I have to go to work now. Have a good day at college, you too."

As I drove into college with Laura, I offered a silent prayer to whoever might be listening, for my kind and generous aunt.

***

The following week, Tim again joined us after breakfast.

"It's not good news, I'm afraid," he began. "The doctors will do what they can, but they're not holding out much hope."

I reached across to put my hand on his. "I'm so sorry."

Laura placed her hand on top of mine, and said, "If there's anything, anything at all, we can do to help..."

***

Tim closed the cover of the last photo album. I smiled at Pam, and said, "You really looked elegant at those parties, Aunty Pam."

I hesitated, then went on, "I wish we could have seen you wearing some of those dresses." Then, no longer able to bear it, I suddenly got up and stumbled out of the room. Laura quickly followed me.

***

It was a bright, warm morning as we stood in the churchyard. Somehow that felt wrong, it ought to have been cold, grey, raining, to match the occasion. The minister had finished reading the age-old words, so familiar that I had to make a conscious effort to think about what they meant. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope."

I resolved to think more carefully about what it might mean about having hope; in what? Or who?

But now wasn't the time for that. Tim stood a little way away from us, and we respected his need to be alone as he took a handful of earth and let it fall gently into the grave. Then he glanced up at us, his face revealing plainly how much comfort he took in our presence.

Tim walked over to us, and I turned my face towards him, dry-eyed but sombre. Then my expression become one of surprise as I looked past Tim's shoulder. He turned to follow my gaze.

A short way away from the other mourners stood a slim figure in a dark blue uniform, narrow medal ribbons across one lapel. For a moment I stood as if rooted to the spot, then I heard Laura's voice from behind me.

"Captain Sarah!" And at once Laura and I were rushing to her and she was gathering us in her arms.

Tim took a few steps, and stopped, not knowing what to do. Then Laura and I each put out a hand to pull him towards us, and he embraced all three of us.

"Sarah," Tim said. "We really appreciate that you're here. How did you know?"

"I'd kept my ears open for news of you," she said. "I didn't want to intrude, but every so often friends at head office would let me know how you were getting on. When I heard about Pam, I decided the least I could do was be here today. So I took a few days leave. I can stay and help out if you'd like."

"Thank you," he said simply. "Well, this part of it is over. Let's go back to the house."

We walked to the dark car in which we'd arrived, and the driver took us home, then left with a sympathetic nod.

Tim opened the front door, and stepped inside with a sense of reluctance but also of relief. At least it was over now.

Sarah took a deep breath. "I'll make some tea," she said.

Tim nodded. She walked down the passage to the kitchen, leaving Tim with me and Laura.

"I'm so glad Sarah's here," I said.

Laura nodded. "You'll ask her to stay a few days, won't you, Tim?"

"Of course," he said. "Anyway, I guess we should change out of these things, right?"

Laura and I went up the stairs to the flat to change, while Tim went into the kitchen to make sure Sarah was OK.

We came back into the kitchen, finding Tim and Sarah sitting at the table, her hand on his. We sat and drank tea, and Sarah told us about what she'd been doing in India, some of the senior people she'd been ferrying around. She'd spent several more of her layovers at the wildlife sanctuary, and described some of the changes and developments there.

"You should really go again," she said. "There's more to see now; the vulture conservation centre has really been successful, and when it's breeding season the chicks are so cute!"

Tim smiled. "We'd love to, when things have settled down a little."

She nodded, her face serious again.

"Anyway," Tim said, "it's getting late, I think probably we're all tired." He hesitated. "Sarah, you'll be OK in the guest room, won't you?"

"Of course, that's fine," she said. "I'm here – we all are – for you, whatever you need."

Tim went upstairs to the master bedroom. We'd already helped him remove Pam's personal things – nightwear, toiletries – though her clothes were still in wardrobes and drawers. Laura and I helped Sarah settle into the guest room, then we went to bed.

***

The next day we woke up with the sunlight streaming in through the window. It promised to be another fine, warm day. Laura and I had finished college for the year, so there was no pressure to do anything in particular.

"I think we should make breakfast," I said. Laura nodded. We went down to the kitchen and I started frying bacon, while Laura buttered bread.

After a few minutes, Tim and Sarah came down the stairs. Sarah was wearing a long nightdress that looked like it was made of Indian cotton.

"We made bacon sandwiches," said Laura.

Tim grinned. "Even if I didn't feel much like eating, I would make an exception for your bacon sandwiches." He leaned over and kissed Laura on the cheek, then me.

"One for me?" said Sarah. Tim smiled, and turned to her, kissing her softly on her cheek.

We sat down to breakfast, and I felt almost guilty at the sense of wellbeing and normality when we'd finished bacon sandwiches and coffee.

"Is there anything you'd especially like to do today?" I asked Tim.

"What I'd really like," he said, "is for us to sit in the garden, that secluded area outside Laura's studio, and talk. I'd like us to remember everything, all the good things – to look at the paintings Laura did for her exhibitions along the way. Then when we've remembered, I'd like us to talk about what each of us hopes for, dreams of, next."

I nodded. "Laura and I will wash up, and you and Sarah can get dressed," she said.

Tim and Sarah went upstairs to change. After a few minutes, Sarah returned, again in an Indian style of garment, a loose tunic and matching trousers, a flowing scarf draped around her neck in traditional fashion.

"I've become really fond of dressing this way when I'm off duty out there," she explained. "It's cooler, for a start."

Tim came down the stairs. "You look lovely," he said. "I really like Western clothes, but sometimes it's nice to have a change from fashion that goes out of its way to show off everything."

I whispered to Laura, and Tim looked over, his face questioning.

"Just saying, perhaps we'll have to get saris," Laura smiled.

Sarah grinned. "Well, it won't be quite such a surprise now," she said, "but actually I did bring a few things for you. And for Tim."

"Wow," Tim said. "That's something to look forward to later. Now, shall we get out into the sunshine?"

1...910111213...24