TMA: Agent Moon Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This isn't a social club," she said bitterly, not looking to Dylan. "You don't just decide to leave, then come back."

"I know that," he responded. His features were firm, confident, almost cocky. "I know you don't need me. But . . . youneedme."

Naveen stopped pacing and faced Dylan. "Are you that sure of yourself?"

Dylan met her eyes. "I'm sure that I will succeed where other agents might not. History has already told us that."

The Director smirked, if only faintly. She cocked her head back, regarding Dylan with as much haughtiness as he himself evidenced. "Knowing the future – or the past – is not the same as being efficient at correcting it."

Dylan leveled his gaze. "True," he agreed. "But we should both know that I have an advantage. According to the TMA archives, I've already succeeded. Do you really want to chance fate by doling out my missions to someone else?"

Naveen narrowed her eyes. "If it means precluding the actions of a loaded gun, then yes," she said. She mocked his confident look. "You forget that, since we not only know that you succeeded, but alsohow, we can give other agents more exacting information."

Dylan was unwavering. "But they still won't be me," he said. "I killed Foster Reece, but we will meet again. If you change that, then who knows what else will change? It could ruin everything."

"Well, look who's become an expert on time travel," she remarked snidely.

Dylan sighed, tired of the pompous game. "I'm back," he said. "Yes, or no?"

The Director studied him for a log moment, then sunk into her chair at the head of the table. "Walk away again, and you walk away for good," she said bluntly. Her eyes were shadowy. "I don't run a 'come as you will' agency."

Dylan nodded. "Guess I'll get myself moved back in," he said.

Naveen nodded slightly. "I guess you will."

***

The simple decorations were back on the small table by the bed. A lithograph featuring the ruins of Macchu Picchu and a simple picture of flowers painted in objectivist style lent a sense of 'hominess.' Dylan sat upon the bed and lit a cigarette. He touched Betty's cross as it hung around his neck. It seemed warm and comforting. The only gift of his lover . . . his mother.

"Feels weird, I bet."

Dylan looked up, letting smoke trail from his lips as he regarded Corinna in the doorway. "Believe it or not, it makes sense," he said. "For the last few decades, I've wondered why I was so different, why I wasn't aging. Maybe this, at least, explains part of it."

Corinna remained where she was, although her body language indicated she really wanted to be closer to Dylan. "I heard the Director wants you to take some tests with Ziske. Something about . . . hyperkinetics."

Dylan nodded. "Something strange happened when I fought Foster Reece," he said. "At first, he was faster and stronger, and then . . . I don't know. All of a sudden, it was as if we were matched. And I can feel it now. I am quicker, and stronger."

"I'm sure that'll come in handy," Corinna said with a clipped, nervous laugh.

Dylan lowered his cigarette, taking a moment to study Corinna's face. He could see the worry there, the apprehension, the hope. "I'm not mad at you," he said.

"Not anymore, you mean."

He sighed, looked for the ashtray. "I think it's fair to say we've both been through the emotional ringer."

"Yeah," Corinna agreed, her voice soft and faint. She took a deep breath. "Do you . . . do you think . . . I mean, could we—"

"I don't know, Cori," Dylan said, studying her eyes. "I have a lot of things to think about, all right?"

The reluctant acceptance was telling upon Corinna's face. Still, she nodded. "I understand," she said, and started to push away from the doorway. She looked back with a small smile. "I'm glad you came back."

He returned the smile. "I am, too."

-finis-

***

There is more to the story of TMA Agent Dylan Moon; however, I do not want to give any false hopes in suggesting that 'more' will be coming soon. I do have a feeling, though, that the files of the TMA will not be kept sealed for good . . . .

Thank you for reading, and if you are so inclined, please leave a vote for the story and even a comment, if you wish.