To Save a Life

Story Info
How far would he go to save himself?
10.3k words
3.89
20.4k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Swilly
Swilly
598 Followers

Author's note: This story was an entry into FAWC (Friendly Anonymous Writing Challenge), a collaborative competition among Lit authors. FAWC is not an official contest sponsored by Literotica, and there are no prizes given to the winner. This FAWC was based around the theme of music, with four songs given to choose from. The song that inspired this story was Oh, Is There Not One Maiden Breast from Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Pirates of Penzance."

It was removed due to poor communication on my part. I've altered the ending and have now submitted it as a standalone story.

*****

Tomasso was wide eyed, his heart pounding in his chest as he sped down the Strada Adriatica in his tiny Fiat. The much bigger and faster Peugeot was right on his tail, and nothing he did put any distance between the two vehicles. Up ahead, a sharp curve in the road appeared. Tomasso pressed down on the accelerator, increasing his speed, desperately trying to pull away from his pursuers. He entered the curve with squealing tires as the car struggled to hold the road. The Peugeot surged forward, pulling to his left and nudging the rear of his car enough to cause him to lose control. The Fiat glided sideways, then went into a roll, flipping over the short retaining wall and onto the jagged rocks at the edge of the Adriatic Sea. The Peugeot pulled up and stopped and two men got out, stepping over the short wall and approaching the Fiat. Tomasso was covered in blood and struggling to get the door open when the men approached him. One of them raised his arm and pointed a gun at Tomasso. Before he could say a word, the man fired three quick shots, ending the life of Tomasso Marriotto on his twenty-first birthday.

"Addio per sempre, Marriotto," the man muttered before he and his partner scrambled back to their car and sped away.

* * * *

Sergio sat in his dorm room, reading the letter from his mother again and again, tears welling up in his eyes. Tomasso was dead, undoubtedly murdered by someone in the Capurso family. He cried not only for his cousin, but also for himself. Sergio had longed to go back home to Bari after finishing college, but he now realized that would mean almost certain death.

Forget the Hatfields and McCoys. The feud between the Marriottos and Capursos went back for centuries. It is difficult to believe such things would continue in modern times, but vengeance runs deep in Italy. In truth, no one alive today even remembers how this all started, but they keep the feud going nonetheless.

Sergio was one of the few males left in the Marriotto family that still called Bari home. The rest were either dead, or had been run off by the Capurso family. For reasons unknown to anyone, the Capursos had never extended the feud beyond Italian soil, so many of the Marriottos had opted to emigrate to the United States and Australia in the early twentieth century. A small number of them had remained, refusing to give in to the hated Capursos. One by one, they died.

Once a male of the feuding families reached his twenty-first birthday, he became a target. It was the reason that Sergio was sent off to college in the states by his mother. She had hoped he might be able to legally emigrate there after completing college. Now beginning his senior year, Sergio was only months away from being forced to return home, which would make him the newest target on the Capurso hit list. Unfortunately, family feuds don't qualify a person for political asylum. Sergio would have to apply for United States citizenship, then return home and wait. He knew there was no way he'd survive long enough to return to the states. He would have to find another way to remain in the country, and find it fast.

* * * *

Sergio sat at a table in the nearly empty bar, his best friend Jim sitting across from him. Each of them had only morning classes on Tuesdays, freeing them to spend the afternoon as they wished. Sergio wished to spend that afternoon getting hammered at his favorite watering hole. Jim sat across from him, having a difficult time believing the story he was being told.

"Jesus, Serge," Jim laughed. "I've got to hand it to you. You are one creative son of a bitch."

"I wish I was making it up, Jim, but I'm not. I'm a...what do they call them? Dead man walking?"

"I'm sorry. Who the fuck put you up to this? Mike? Bob? Lee? Oh...it must have been Ellie. She loves fucking with people."

Sergio let out a huge sigh and pulled a newspaper clipping out of his shirt pocket, handing it to Jim. Having taken four years of Italian in high school, Jim was able to comprehend enough of the article to realize that Sergio was telling the truth. The picture of Tomasso accompanying the article sealed the deal. He was undoubtedly a blood relative of Sergio.

"Holy shit," Jim exclaimed. "You really weren't kidding."

"No. I'm not. If I go back home, the next article will be about me."

"What the fuck, Serge. Who the hell still does this shit?"

Sergio shrugged and frowned.

"Seriously," said Jim. "You fucking Italians and your vendetta bullshit. Why is it okay if you stay here then?"

"No one really remembers why this started, but I think there was some kind of dispute over land. The Capursos just want us out of the country. After that, they don't care what happens to us."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I can try to stay here and hide, but I'll never be able to work in a real job."

"Oh, come on. This country is full of illegal immigrants. How do they do it?"

"I don't know. Live in large communities with their own kind and keep to themselves for the most part, I guess. But let's be honest. They work in pretty menial jobs. I have no community to hide in, and how the hell would I support myself? What kind of life would that be?"

"More of a life than your cousin had, Serge."

Sergio fumed at his friend. "I need to find another way. Maybe...maybe I can get someone to marry me. Then I'd have a chance to stay here and get my citizenship."

Jim looked at his friend with skepticism. Sergio fit the classic description of tall, dark, and handsome. With an athletic build, dark curly hair and light brown eyes, he made women swoon. Add in the Italian accent, and he'd wet more seats than a school full of toddlers.

"Do I need to remind you that you've developed quite a reputation as a playboy, Serge? Do you really think you're going to get a woman to believe you fell in love with her overnight? And that you absolutely must get married immediately?"

Sergio frowned and look at his friend. "Well, I can be honest with them. Maybe I can offer to pay them something. I don't know."

"Come on. The world has changed, Serge, but not that much. Maybe little girls today dream of being doctors or lawyers, but I'm betting they also still dream about that fairy tale wedding too. Do you really think you're going to get someone to give that dream up to help some college Lothario with an unbelievable story?"

"Well, I have to try, Jim. I have no choice," he said, looking up to see their friends Julie and Rich walking over to their table.

"What's going on?" asked Rich as he took a seat.

"We're just trying to work out a problem for Serge," replied Jim.

"What's wrong?" asked Julie. "Is there something we can do to help?"

"Yeah. You can marry him, Jules," quipped Jim.

Julie laughed in response. "Oh, sure. Why not?" she giggled.

"You may be the only one in our graduating class that Serge hasn't slept with, Jules. It's like you'd be pure on your wedding night," Rich added with a guffaw.

"You're all a riot," Sergio snapped. He got up from the table in a huff. "I'll see you later. I have shit to do," he said and walked out of the bar.

"What the fuck was that about?" asked Rich.

"I really wasn't joking. Serge does have a problem. If he doesn't get married pretty quickly, he'll have to leave the country at the end of the spring semester."

"So? Why is that a problem?" asked Julie.

"There's some stupid fucking Italian blood feud back from where he grew up. If he goes there as an adult, they'll kill him."

Rich burst out laughing. "Oh, yeah. Like Michael Fucking Corleone, huh? Maybe he can hire Luca Brasi as his bodyguard, you think?"

"I'm not kidding, Rich. They just killed his cousin on his twenty-first birthday. He showed me the newspaper article. This shit is true."

"Really?" asked Julie with an incredulous look on her face. "This isn't bullshit?"

"I'm serious. Serge really is fucked if he goes back home."

"Wow. What's he going to do?"

"That's what I'm saying. His big idea is to get someone to marry him."

"Maybe me marrying him isn't the worst idea," Julie slowly said.

"Oh, come on," exclaimed Rich. The Feds would see right through that. No offense, but a big dyke marrying an Italian playboy? Who the hell is going to believe that? No. He needs to find a normal woman to marry him."

"I'm not..."

"Yeah, yeah. You're not a lesbian, Jules. We've heard it all before," Rich interrupted.

"Cut the crap, Rich," snapped Jim.

Julie sat back, stunned and hurt. She knew she wasn't like most women. She was always interested in sports, and as a child, played cars and guns and cops with all of the boys she grew up with. It was why she played on the intramural softball team, right alongside Sergio, Jim, and Rich. Everyone took it for granted that she was a lesbian, but they were wrong. She loved men, which is why she spent so much time bonding with them. Unfortunately, they appeared to look right through her when it came to sex, love and romance.

Julie's appearance was nondescript at best. You could walk into a room devoid of people except for her and barely even notice her presence. She wasn't ugly. She just blended in. That ability to fade into the background served her well at times in her life, but it left her lonely and wanting. She was nearly twenty two years old, and she was still a virgin. In truth, she had never even come close to losing her virginity.

As she sat there, she made up her mind to help Sergio. Maybe he wouldn't marry her, but she could damned well try to help him hook another girl. In truth, she had been crushing on him for the better part of a year, watching him tally conquest after conquest. Although she often dreamed of it, he had never taken even the slightest interest in her beyond their friendship. Even with all of that, she couldn't bear the thought of him being sent home to be murdered. She would do whatever she could to prevent that from happening.

* * * *

Julie shared an off campus house with three other women, all of whom had enjoyed a fling with Sergio. The women got along well enough that Julie was feeling some misgivings for what she planned to do, but it couldn't be helped. Besides, she thought to herself, all she was doing was playing a little matchmaker. She couldn't make one of the girls agree to marry Sergio. They'd have to do that themselves. She decided that she'd would work on Lindsay first, since she had dated Sergio the longest of anyone.

Julie was sitting in the kitchen sipping coffee when Lindsay walked in, bleary eyed and still in her night shirt.

"You're up early, Jules. What's that about?" Lindsay asked.

"I have some errands to run before classes today. I figured I might as well get an early start."

"Better you than me. I have such a hangover today. I need some coffee and food."

"Pot's full," Julie replied.

"Oh, God. You're the best, Jules," Lindsay answered, grabbing a cup from the cabinet and pouring herself some coffee. Taking a container of milk from the fridge, she splashed some into her cup and took a big swallow. Returning the milk to the fridge, she frowned when she realized there was virtually nothing else in there.

"Damn it. There's nothing to eat. I need some comfort food pronto," Lindsay whined.

"You want to go to the diner?" Julie asked.

"Don't you have stuff to do?"

"I didn't say I really wanted to do it. This is a perfect excuse for procrastination," joked Julie.

"You don't have to ask me twice. I'm in. Just let me throw some clothes on and brush my teeth, and I'm good to go."

"Okay. I'm pretty hungry myself. I'll wait in the car," said Jules as she poured more coffee into a sip and go cup and headed for the door.

A few minutes later, Lindsay walked out the door and hopped into the passenger seat. Julie started the car and pulled out of the driveway, taking the back way to their favorite breakfast spot, Shorty's Diner. Scoring a spot right near the door, the women scrambled out and walked inside, the aroma of bacon thick in the air. A waitress seated them promptly, and they eagerly looked at the menu, stomachs rumbling.

"I can never decide," moaned Julie. "I always want everything."

"They should have that. A breakfast sampler! Why choose at all?" giggled Lindsay.

"I can't attract men now," complained Julie. "The last thing I need to do is eat like that and gain weight. I might as well become a nun."

"That's not true, Jules. You just need to meet the right guy."

"Thanks for that, Lindsay. But we both know it's true."

The waitress arrived at the table, pad and pen in hand.

"Can I take your order?"

Lindsay started things off. "I'd like a broccoli and cheddar omelet, buttered toast, and home fries. Can I have a chocolate shake too, and some ice water?"

"Sure, Hon. And you?" the waitress asked Julie.

"I'll have the banana French toast with a side of bacon, and an iced tea, please."

The waitress smiled and went to put their order in. Julie looked at her friend and took a deep breath. Here goes, she thought to herself.

"Speaking of guys...have you seen Sergio lately?" Julie asked.

"Not really. I passed him on campus the other day, but I don't think he saw me."

"No? Hmmm."

"What?"

"I think he really misses you. He's been asking about you an awful lot lately."

"Asking about me?"

"Yeah. I thought maybe you two had connected again or something."

"No. Nothing like that. Well, what has he been asking?"

"You know. How you were, what you've been up to. Are you seeing anyone."

"He asked if I was seeing anyone?"

"Yup. I told him no."

"You know, he was the one that broke it off with me. I didn't want to end things."

"Well, I think maybe he's having second thoughts about that now."

"Interesting."

"You should call him."

"No way, Jules. If he wants to talk to me, he's gonna have to make the first move. He made the last move, right? I'm not going to be a stalker."

"True. If he asks about you again, I'll do some more digging. If he seems interested, I'll tell him to call you, okay? But you can't tell him about this conversation, Lindsay. He'll never trust me again!"

"I promise. Not a word about it," Lindsay said with a smile.

The waitress returned with their plates full of food, and the women continued chatting while they ate. When they were finished, they returned home and got ready for classes. It would be a busy day for Julie, with a softball game scheduled for the evening. As she dressed, she thought about how she would approach Sergio later on. Once again, she felt pangs of guilt, but she pushed them away. Perhaps it was the pangs of jealousy that allowed her to do that quite so easily.

* * * *

Julie dug in at the plate, her left-handed batting stance copied from Bernie Williams, who had been one of her favorite players growing up. She waited on the high arc of the underhand pitch, then reacted, slapping the ball over the third basemen's head. She sprinted down to first base, then easily jogged into second as the left fielder chased down the ball and tossed it to the cutoff man.

Sergio stepped in next, looking to at least tie the game. The outfield played him deep, so a single would easily score Julie from second. He smiled to himself, knowing there was no way he'd settle for a single. He watched two pitches pass by, one a ball and the other a strike, waiting for the pitch he wanted to hit. The pitcher was trying to keep the ball away, not giving up something Sergio could launch into orbit. On the third pitch, she made a mistake. Sergio's eyes lit up as he watched the big fat meatball float exactly where he'd wanted it. He reacted, and with a powerful swing launched the ball high into the air. The left fielder just turned and watched the ball sail by, clearing the home run fence by a good fifty feet. Julie waited at the plate to congratulate Sergio on the game winning drive.

After the hand shaking and fist bumping and congratulations were complete, Julie sat next to Sergio on the bench, taking off her cleats and slipping into her sneakers. He was sitting back, sipping on a bottle of Poland Spring, lost in thought.

"You going to Nappers, Serge?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I could use a few beers."

"Yeah. I heard. I'm sorry about your cousin...and your predicament. I...I wish there was something I could do to help."

"Me too, Jules," said Sergio with a sigh. "But you can't. I'm going to have to figure this one out on my own."

"Are you sure, Sergio? You're one of the best friends I have. I'd do pretty much anything for you. You know that, don't you?"

"You're a good friend, Jules. I'll figure something out," he said to her.

Julie nodded, but her heart felt crushed. Why should she be surprised, she thought. This is how it always was for her. It was quite clear that she wasn't someone Sergio would consider, even in his predicament. Even so, she had decided she would help him, and that is what she'd do. She choked back a sob, pausing before she responded.

"Lindsay was asking about you today, by the way."

Sergio turned to her. "She was? What did she say?"

"Girls code. I can't reveal that kind of stuff, Serge," she said with a fake grin. "But you might want to call her."

"She was awfully angry when I broke it off with her. I would think she'd never speak with me again."

Julie got up and grabbed her equipment bag. "Just call her, Serge," she said with a sigh. She walked to her car and drove off, tears running down her cheeks, feeling horrible about herself. Was she really that invisible that a man whose life was at stake wouldn't even see her? Good old Jules. Everybody loved her, but nobody LOVED her. She decided to skip the bar, instead driving home with the intention of hiding in her bed.

She pulled into the driveway and walked inside to find Lindsay sitting with Jill and Kim, her other two housemates. She waved at them, then walked into her bedroom. Lindsay got up and followed her in.

"Are you okay, Jules? You look like you've been crying."

"I'm fine. I just had a bad day."

"You want to come out and sit with us? We have mojitos," Lindsay said, wiggling an eyebrow.

"Nah. You girls have fun. I think I just need some sleep."

"You sure?"

Julie let out a huge sigh. "Yeah, thanks Lin. I'll be okay. I'm just tired."

Lindsay gave her friend a hug, then left the room, closing the door behind her. Julie changed into a nightshirt and curled up in bed, snuggling a body pillow that was her nightly companion. Often, she would lie here and masturbate, thinking of Sergio and what she'd imagine it would be like to make love to him. On this night, though, the thought just made her feel like crying. Instead she buried her face into the pillow and fell asleep.

* * * *

Lindsay was sipping coffee and catching up on Facebook when her phone rang. She looked at the number and grinned. Sergio. She'd have to thank Jules later, she thought, completely oblivious to what might have upset her the previous night. She touched the screen, connecting the call.

"Hello?" she answered, pretending she didn't know who it was.

"Hi Lindsay," Sergio replied.

"Well hello, stranger," she cooed into the phone.

"You remember the sound of my voice, do you?"

"Well, it was a bit of a challenge, what with the dozens of Italian playboys calling me all the time, Sergio. To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?"

Swilly
Swilly
598 Followers