Tom and Mandy

Story Info
Two lovers who don't realise they are Brother & Sister.
10k words
4.46
48.9k
77

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 08/07/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BelindaTV
BelindaTV
100 Followers

Tom Murray is a twenty-seven year old single man who works at Harkins a local foundry.

Tom, an only child was raised by his grandparents after his mother died giving birth to him, his father died suddenly when he was four, and his only other living relative is his father's brother Jack, a bachelor mechanic.

Tom is happy go lucky man; he has dated a few girls over the years.

One of his relationships was with a girl called Mary Collins; there was talk of marriage. But like everything else it fizzled out.

He has often wondered if there is a girl out there for him, he'd hate to end up like his uncle Jack, who's still a bachelor at fifty-seven and a drunk.

*****

"Well I am off to work gran, I have left your pills beside you there, and Uncle Jack said he would call in later to check on you."

"Good boy Tom, I would be lost without you. Don't forget to book your granddad's anniversary mass will you?"

"No, I won't forget gran. How many years is it now since he passed?"

"Twenty years this year. It only feels like yesterday and I still miss him so much."

"Look, I better go or I will be late."

"Wait a minute; are you too old to give your granny a hug?"

"Not at all, I love you gran and I will see you this evening."

"Goodbye Tom, and mind yourself."

Well Tom, could today be the day you finally do it; will you finally pluck up the courage to ask Mandy Grady out, I say to myself.

Mandy has been with the company three years and in all that time you never asked her out.

Everyone loves Mandy; she's so bubbly and gets a long with the men like a house on fire.

Sure you'd think she was just one of the lads, she's mad about motorsport, and loves to socialise with the rest of the crew. But she has never dated anyone at the job, I wonder why? Maybe, as the old saying goes; a dog never shits on their own doorstep.

"Morning Tim, it's looking like another nice day." I say, as I join my colleague in the foundry yard.

Tim Bradley is one of my closest friends, we both went to the same school, we grew up together, we get drunk together and he's like a brother to me.

"Yes it is, the only pity about it is that we are locked up in this sweatbox for most of it."

We jokingly call the foundry The Sweatbox, because in the summer it's as hot as the fires of hell.

"I thought you might have joined me for a pint last night." He continues.

"I was going to... But, gran said she was feeling unwell."

"Look Tom, you have to get away from them two...they will ruin your life."

"I know, but I...Well Jack is bloody useless to her, and she's getting feebler."

"Ya, he's like a baby, always on his back with a bottle stuck in his mouth." He laughs.

We watch as Mandy zips through the gate in her Golf GTI, the tyres chirping as she rounds the corner at speed into the yard.

"Wait for it." Tim says, laughing.

It's the same ritual ever morning, in through the gate and down the yard at speed, she pulls the handbrake and the whips the car around letting it roll back ways into a parking spot.

"One of these days she'll get it wrong lad, and it will all end in tears." Tim laughs.

"Well...She seems able to control the car better than some of that lot inside." I say laughing.

"I know what you are thinking Tom, but it's a waste of time, Mandy has never dated anyone here."

"I wonder why that is?" I reply, in a puzzled voice.

"Morning lads, did you watch the Rally last night?" Mandy asks, as she draws near to us.

"Good morning Mandy. No, gran was feeling a bit under the weather and I missed it." I reply.

I can see Tim has that look on his face, will he or won't he ask her out, but not here, perhaps her office. I say to myself.

"You didn't miss much lads. Bloody Stephens...I swear he couldn't drive a nail in a bog. He crashed out after stage ten." She laughs.

"I hope your grandmother is ok Tom?" she continues.

"Yes she is Mandy, just a slight chest cold. She's as tough as an old boot, my gran is."

"Good to hear. Call by my office won't you; I have the work schedule for the week to give you."

"Ok Mandy, it's nearly time to clock in anyway." I say, as she turns to walk into the foundry floor.

"I wonder why she has never dated anyone here Tim."

"Who knows, it's not like the lads haven't asked her. I tried myself a few times, and the answer is always a polite no.

To tell you the truth, I am beginning to think there is something funny about that girl."

"What do you mean funny...Do you think...well, is she is gay, is that what you are saying?"

Now I'm starting to wonder why she is not interested in men. Maybe she is gay, I think to myself.

"Well...You tell me Tom, she never mentions a boyfriend or anything like that."

"She might be a private person, and keep her love life to herself."

"I...well, I think it's a bit odd...that's all, I'm just saying, it's a bit queer she never dated any lad here."

"What exactly are you getting at Tim, are you trying to tell me something; is that it...is it?"

"Look...it's probably nothing...nothing at all. We'll say no more about it." He says, looking a bit uncertain.

What exactly is up with Tim, he seems to think, well what does he think?

Does he think I don't stand a chance with Mandy...is that it? and where did all this about her being gay come from...Is he jealous? Is that what all this is about, is he afraid she'll say yes. Has he a hidden agenda, or what. I wonder to myself.

"Look, Tim, I have...Well, I think there's something special about the girl, but...I'm not sure what."

"Well, when you find out what that is, let me know. Come on, time to clock in." He says, and we head in to punch our timecards.

Tim and I punch our cards and head onto the foundry floor, I am a press operator and in the last few years I have been given the job of quality control manager.

This is a small family business and I still work the press. It's very therapeutic; well, that's I think anyway, even with all the noise.

And besides, all that clanging and banging of steel has a musical rhythm all of its own.

I head up to Mandy's office and knocking on the door I enter. It's a small office and the walls are adorned with plans and drawings of projects we are currently working on.

"Oh, there you are Tom. I have the schedule here for you." she says, handing me a work schedule.

Just then the phone rings and she answers it. Come on Tom, ask her now; ask her after she hangs up, what have got to lose, I think to myself.

"Sorry about that Tom. Ok here you go, the Anderson project needs looking at; just make sure the tolerances are within the guidelines."

"Ok, I will. Listen Mandy, there is something I want to ask you." I say, as the bloody phone goes again.

"Just a minute, I have to answer this." She says, as she takes the phone in her hand.

"Sorry about that, it's a bit mad in here today, what did you want to ask me?"

"Oh, nothing... nothing really important, I better give the lads the schedule of work, talk to you later." I reply, and I turn to leave.

You fucking eejit Tom, I say under my breath. Why didn't you ask her, all she can say is no!

"Oh Tom, do you have a second to spare?" She says, and I wonder what she wants.

"Sure, what's up?"

"I have been invited to a wedding this coming weekend and the invitation says bring a friend, and I don't want to look like a wallflower going by myself. Are you busy?"

Well now, somebody up there must like me, this has to be my lucky day.

So what if I'm going as a friend; it's still a date with the lovely Mandy you lucky man. I think to myself.

"No...no, I'm not doing anything. Where is it on?"

"The wedding is taking place at a registry office in Blinkingfileld, that's about a hundred miles from here. It's only a small family affair and there is a small reception locally afterwards."

"Sounds nice Mandy, are they relations of yours?"

"No...no, I went to school with the bride Ann Watkins, and we have remained the best of friends over the years."

"Small problem, I don't drive; but I can always get a bus and meet you there."

"You are so silly at times Tom, that's what I like about you. I'll drive us of course." She giggles.

And there's that smile I love so much, her fringe is just about hiding her blue eyes. But they are sparkling; I don't need to see them to know that.

"Ok, I better head back to the floor; you can fill me in on the travel arrangements later."

Wait till I tell Tim; he'll burst a gut with jealously, and all I had to do was keep my mouth shut. Finding myself back on the foundry floor I call the lads to attention so I can outline the day's work.

Tim as always, is by my side. He's as sharp as a tack, and it's always good to have an extra pair of eyes to look at the drawings. Over the years he has saved my ass more than a few times.

"Have you got a minute Tim?" I ask, I'm dying to tell him the news.

"Yes, what's up?"

"Guess who has a date this weekend with Mandy." I say, slightly gloating.

"Jesus...I don't believe it; you are having me on Tom aren't you?" He says, in an excited voice.

"No...I finally did it, I asked her out, and she said yes!" I say excitedly.

"You...? You asked her out. Well I never thought you had it in you."

"Oh, ya...I just came right out and asked; really...I can't see what all the fuss is about." I chuckle.

"You fecking liar Tom, she asked you, didn't she?" He laughs.

"Yes...Yes she did Tim, she asked me to go to a wedding with her in Blinkingfileld this weekend."

"Well you lucky bollox. I'm rotten jealous of course, but I'm happy for you. Wait till the lads find out."

"Don't say a word; I'd prefer if we keep this to ourselves."

"Ok, fair enough. Come on the work won't do its self." He says, turning to walk off.

Standing back at my press I glance up at Mandy's office and there she is; coffee in hand, watching the foundry floor as always does. She spots me, and gives me a smile and a wave.

I start the press up and in the midst of the maelstrom of steel clanging loudly I have time to think about our upcoming date. Well it's not really a date. But you have to start someplace, I say to myself.

The buzzer loudly announces the end of the day, and I as head out the foundry gate Mandy pulls alongside and lowers the car window.

"Do you want a lift Tom?"

"No, I'm good thanks. I have to pop into the church on the way home to book my granddad's anniversary mass."

"Well if you are sure, I don't mind stopping at the church for you on the way."

"I'm fine Mandy, thanks for asking. It's a nice evening anyways for a walk."

"Ok, see you in the morning." And she drives off.

I could have taken the lift, but I want to walk home and gather my thoughts. I have no intention in telling my grandmother or Jack anything about Mandy.

She is very nosey, and both she and Jack talked me out of marriage before. They said Mary wasn't a good match, and at the time all their persuasive arguments won the day. No, I won't say a word.

I book the mass for granddad and I head home to the house stopping off at Hanley's grocery to pick up some shopping. When I get home gran is up, and I'm relived she is looking a bit better.

"Ah, there you are now Tom. How was work today?" Gran asks.

"Fine gran. Same ole, same ole."

"How's Tim?" she asks, gran is very fond of him as well.

"He's grand, sure what would be wrong with him?"

"Oh...I was just remembering today about when ye were little boys, you were always stuck in each other's company night and day. Two gas tickets ye were."

"Ya, Tim is like a brother to me. He's always looked out for me."

"He's a nice lad Tim, never forgets my birthday Tom."

"Well gran, do you fancy some tea? I got some fresh ham and I'll make a few sandwiches for us both."

"That will be nice Tom; you always take care of me. You are a good boy."

Gran, I think to myself, I am twenty-seven and a grown man, but sure, she still sees me as that little boy with my knees all scraped from climbing.

I make the tea for us both and leave her tablets out for her heart; making sure she takes them.

After she goes to bed I take a look in my wardrobe to see what I might wear to this wedding, I don't want to dress casual.

I have a black suit that's nice, but I might look like an undertaker. I think I'll text Tim and see what he thinks.

I leave my bedroom window open for him; after about ten minutes I hear the neighbour's dog announce his arrival in my back yard, he climbs up and pops his head in the window just like when we were kids.

"What's the story Tom?" He asks, as he climbs in.

"I'm trying to decide what to wear to the wedding."

"How about a suit, with a white shirt and tie; I have a new pair of brogues if you are stuck."

"No...No, I thought of that, a suit is a bit too formal. She said it's a registry wedding."

"I see, well why not go and buy a new rig-out?"

"Ya, I suppose... I wouldn't want to let Mandy down, and I could do with a haircut as well."

"You lucky dog, I hope you get lucky." He says, with a big grin on his face.

"We are just going as friend's...That's all; well, she said she was stuck."

"Who are you kidding lad...I have seen they way Mandy always watches you from her office." He chuckles.

"She's just making sure we are not dossing, after all she is a manager Tim."

"If you say so, thousands would believe you...But I don't." He laughs.

"Well anyway, do you want to go shopping with me later in the week?"

"Ya, why not. I could do with a laugh; you take forever to decide on clothes.

I swear, you're as bad as any woman I have ever met."

"I am Just being particular Tim, that's all, I'm...Well I want to make a good impression on Mandy."

"I know, I am only yanking your chain a bit. We can chat about this at break tomorrow, ok?"

"Sounds like a plan, well, I'll let you go, thanks Tim." I say, as he leaves again out the window.

That Tim, he's always pulling my leg, he really is a joker.

He was to be my Best man at my wedding to Mary. He had his speech all worked out; all twelve pages. But knowing him, most of it was just blank pages.

He never did let me read it; he said I'd only get depressed. I never knew if he was having me on or not.

The week just flew by. Mandy outlined our travel plans over lunch on Thursday. It would take about two hours or so in the car to get to Blinkingfileld on Saturday morning; the reception will take place in a little hotel nearby.

She offered to collect me at home, but I declined saying I had an errand to do in town early in the morning. She agreed to pick me up near the train station.

On Friday's we finish at 3pm,and so Tim and I head to town to try and find something suitable to wear.

I try on a few suits of different styles, but they all just seem too formal.

Tim hops up, he has probably had enough.

"Jesus Tom! will you make up your bloody mind! Watching you pick clothes is like watching a dog chewing nettles...It's funny to watch for a bit, but sooner or later you'll have to put your hand in his mouth and pull them out...here, let me take a look."

"Ok, try this jacket and these pants on, they go well together." He says, handing me the clothes.

I go into the changing room and try on a navy pants, the jacket is just a shade lighter and goes really well with the pants. If I get a light blue shirt with some stripes and a nice tie, I think I am sorted. I say to myself as I check my reflection in a mirror.

"Well what do you think Tim?" I ask, stepping out of the changing room.

"You look good, but just a shirt, no tie." He suggests.

"What do you mean no tie?"

"Well...you'll have a very informal, formal look to you...What do you think?"

"Ya, I am not fond of wearing a tie anyway, this will do so." I agree.

Good old Tim, I can always rely on him to speak his mind, he's never far wrong.

After parting company I make my way home to gran. Uncle Jack is there when I get in.

"Well Tom, how are you?" He asks.

"I'm grand Uncle Jack, where's gran?"

"She's having a nap, she's just a bit tired. You were shopping I see." He says, pointing to my bags.

"Ya, I bought a few things, I'm off on Saturday with a few of the lads for a day out." I say.

I'm lying of course, but it's none of his business anyway, I think to myself.

"Well...Don't do anything I wouldn't do, have a good time anyway. I'm off home now."

"Ok, I'll see you later. Thanks for checking on gran."

"No bother, I'll stay with her on Saturday and make sure she takes her pills." He says, as I see him to the door.

I must admit I am very nervous about this date, Mandy is a lovely girl and I do hope I don't make a fool of myself. I have no intention of drinking just in case; there is nothing worse than being half-pissed and looking like a total ass in front of a crowd of people.

I try to sleep, but the excitement I feel inside makes it nearly impossible.

I wait nervously by the train station on Saturday morning. I begin to rehearse some conversations I might have with Mandy. But before I get carried away, I tell myself to shut up. Go with the flow man, I say to myself.

I don't notice Mandy's car pulling in behind me with all the mental arguing I'm doing with myself.

"Excuse me sir, but do you know Tom Murray by any chance?" I hear her giggle.

Turning around I see Mandy, with her head out the window, and a big grin on her face.

I can hear Highway star blaring out of her stereo and I hope it's not a bad omen.

"No...No I can't say I have ever heard of him. He sounds dodgy miss, best be careful." I quip back.

"Jesus Tom, you scrub up well...I like the rigout." She says, as her face gestures her approval.

"Thanks Mandy." And I do a little twirl showing off my new clothes."

"Hop in; we got a long drive ahead."

So we set off in her car, and you can tell this lady is into motorsport, her car is a very sporty Golf GTI, and boy does she like to drive it fast.

"Christ Mandy, are we in a rush to get there?" I say, as my hands grip my seat firmly.

"Don't worry Tom, I get a bit impatient sitting behind these old grannies in Micra's. I don't usually have passengers with me."

"I can see why." I laugh, nervously.

"How's granny doing?"

"She's fine, my uncle Jack is looking after her today."

"Good. So I see you are eight years at the company, I had a peek at the personal files; hope you don't mind?"

"No...no, I...Why would I mind. I started my apprenticeship as a fitter after I finished school. I applied for a job along with Tim, and here we still are."

"Ya, I noticed you and Tim went to the same school and live near each other."

"How about you, I know nothing about you Mandy?" I discreetly probe.

"Well, I live about ten miles from the plant on the south side, and after school I did a one year management course. And well here I am too." She laughs, and her whole face lights up brightly.

"Can I ask you something personal?"

"Fire ahead."

"How come you asked me, I would have thought a pretty girl like you would have a boyfriend?"

"No, I have no boyfriend at the moment, and...Well you seem like a nice guy."

No boyfriend, now that's hard to believe, she is very pretty.

Today for instance, her long hair is done up with wonderful colourful hairclips that have tiny coloured flowers on them.

Having it up like that exposes her long slender neck. And she is wearing a wonderful party dress, Mandy is a stunner alright.

"I didn't mean to pry, I...Look, I hope you don't think I'm nosey?" I say.

"God no, I have a confession myself. I did ask one of the lads about you."

"Stalking me, where you?" I laugh.

"Well, did you think I didn't notice the signs Tom?"

"What signs...What do you mean, exactly?"

"The last morning in my office for example, you were going to ask me out, weren't you?"

BelindaTV
BelindaTV
100 Followers