Trick and Treat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What's wrong, Pauli?"

Pauli looked up and saw the two women. "It was such a nice date until he whispered in my ear 'ah, mi puta'. I should have kneed him, but I just left."

"What does it mean?" Ash asked Gabby.

"It's not a thing for a first date. It means 'oh, my whore'. I agree! You should have slapped him silly! Pauli, who was it?" Pauli told her and Gabby turned red. "His mother will hear of this -- he is my cousin." Gabby went back in Ash's room and made a phone call. She came back out, still speaking in Spanish and handed the phone to Pauli. The woman on the other end was very upset. Jesús's mother could not stop apologizing. Pauli tried to calm her, telling her that, other than saying what he did, he was a complete gentleman. Gabby also told her that she would have words with Jesús. This was Pauli's last attempt at dating. She had to start prepping for the LSAT.

This kind of studying was not unusual for her. She worked every day at improving her skills. Pauli's practice test scores rose for most of rest of the semester. They were in the 178-180 out of 180 range every time. She spent a lot of time on logical reasoning. It was her hardest section.

She took the test in December. It was a grueling test, lasting six and a half hours. When she came out, she stopped to use the bathroom and get a drink. Pauli collapsed when she got home and slept for a few hours.

Ash went through a similar prep for her GRE exam. She was very well acquainted with the material. She spent a large amount of time getting ready, and by the time she took the test she was very confident. When the scores came back, the two whooped it up -- both got a perfect score. They felt even more sure that they could get into one of their chosen schools. They would apply to Penn, Cornell, and Stanford law and UC Davis Vet. The latter were the best that were close enough to think about commuting but just barely. The other two were on the same campus. Thus easy for both. Penn was better for Pauli and Cornell for Ash. Penn was closer to Ash's parents' home. Of course, they applied to all three and waited.

The replies came back -- they got into all the schools. Cornell was struck off the list, since its law school was not as well thought of. Stanford was number two rated for law and UC Davis was number one. Penn had both programs at number seven. The decision was made for Penn as the California schools would require two hours a day to commute. Real estate in California was priced very high. They sent in the proper acceptance forms.

They both graduated summa cum laude, with Paulette valedictorian and Ash salutatorian. Pauli's speech centered around having goals and overcoming impediments. Mary and the Martins came together. They took both girls out to dinner as a group. Mary could not help but bubble over Pauli and Ash. She had learned to love them both. Pauli asked Scott how hard it would be to have Mary adopt her. He told her it was doable. That summer the adoption took place. Pauli was thrilled to have a new mom who had loved Connie.

The roommates found another apartment in Philadelphia near campus and moved their things in. They had both spent the entire summer studying to try to get ahead. Pauli was her usual self, eating up her classes like a tigress. She was very well liked and tried to help her fellow students as much as she could. She was at the top of her class in her first year.

Ash was able to arrange loans from the bank of Pauli at zero interest. She had made up her mind to pay it any way she could. Vets don't make the salaries lawyers do. She also was at the top of her class, also helping her fellow students as much she could. She was buoyed by her biochem degree.

In her second year, Pauli excelled. She qualified for the the Keedy moot cup final in her third level. She was also awarded the Barenkopf scholarship for highest GPA in her first two years. Mary was kept busy coming to awards ceremonies. She loved it. She had always wanted a child. Ash made it to as many ceremonies as possible. In her third year, Pauli chaired the graduate and professional student association. She was a member of the equal justice foundation. She graduated JD summa cum laude. Mary, Ash, Karen, and Scott cheered like girls at a Beatles concert. Just before graduation, she passed the state bar exam without a problem but did not get the results until later. After she was sworn in she started looking in earnest. Her record brought her interviews with almost everyone she applied to. Paulette was a hot property in Philadelphia law circles. She had recommendations from most all of her profs and the dean.

She accepted a job with a prestigious 'Big Law' firm, knowing she would be working her butt off. The dress code for women in law was very conservative, so she went out and purchased the requisite dress. At first she was asked to do menial jobs. It was done to test her resolve so she did not complain. One of the partners had sat on the jury when she won moot court. The partner asked Pauli to write a brief for an upcoming case. As usual, she was quick and exacting. Louise Palmer, the partner, was very impressed and kept Pauli very busy. One day she showed one of the briefs to a senior partner, who was quite impressed.

Pauli's career was in full speed. Word got around the firm about her skills. She did not want to be seen as a one-trick pony so she searched up a pro bono case. She was given permission to represent a woman in a discrimination case. One of the senior associates was to sit second chair to offer advice or, if needed, take over. Pauli needed no help and won an easy directed verdict. The judge complimented Pauli's team. Pauli was so well prepared there was no hope for the defense. The DA considered criminal charges. The judge also called the managing partner of Pauli's firm to compliment the job his new lawyer did.

When Pauli and her partner got back to the office there was a memo asking her to come to Bertrand Silverstone's office. This was unusual. She was new and didn't know of any first year associate who had been summoned before. Pauli presented herself to Mrs. Taylor, the big Kahuna's secretary. "Mr. Silverstone asked me to come up."

"Yes, he did. Can you sit for a minute? He's on the phone." Pauli sat in one of the opulent chairs in her most demure pose. It was regular for highly placed secretaries to give their opinions of new associates, especially women. Pauli looked around her. The room was very masculine in décor, dark wood and leather with paintings on the wall. The intercom buzzed and Mrs. Taylor said, "Yes, sir, right away." She turned to Pauli. "You may enter now, Miss." Pauli walked to the ornate wood door and knocked.

"Mr. Silverstone you wished to seem me?"

"Ah, yes! Paulette, isn't it? Please sit? I just got off the phone with your opposing council. He was very complimentary! I understand you were extraordinarily well prepared. A directed verdict is not usual in your first case. Your judge also called to compliment your court demeanor. He's a crotchety old goat who is very hard on women. I talked with your second chair -- he was also impressed. You keep this up and you'll be an all-star here."

She watched him closely until she was sure he was done. "I like to be prepared so I do my best. I do the same with briefs, even if they are not mine, sir."

"I looked your school record over. Your work there reflects that ethic. You are getting a reputation as a top associate already, so you will start having more requests for your time. It will mean extra hours for you. Do you have family?"

"No, sir. Just my adoptive mother. My father and I are estranged since I was five years old. My mother died of cancer when I was a freshman in undergrad. I found out she had a long running love affair with one of the women she worked with. After I got to know her I asked her to adopt me, since she had raised me by proxy through my mother. I'm telling you this in case it will retard my progress here."

"You know I can not ask you for that kind of information, but I'm glad you told me. This firm and I personally do not hold your family against you nor your sexuality. Miss Aston, keep yourself as focused as you have been and you will go far here. Thank you for your time. I will let you get back to work now. Will you ask Mrs. Taylor to come in as you leave?"

"Yes, sir. I appreciate the kind words." Pauli walked out and gave the message to Mrs. Taylor. Then she went back to work. Over the next few months, she became noted for her quick and accurate work. Partners gave her work to compose motions and briefs in ever increasing numbers. All the paperwork was letter perfect and in the format used by that partner. All they had to do was sign it and submit. By her sixth month, she was asked to sit in the second chair in some high level cases. This eventually led to the day one of the partners was called away on an emergency. The judge was not in a good mood after being asked for a recess.

"Ms. Aston, are you an attorney in this state?" He glared down at Paulette.

She stood and answered calmly. "Yes, your honor."

"Then please continue your questioning." She slipped on her glasses and started at the spot Sylvia McFadden had left off. Their client was almost hysterical. This was not the representation he had paid for. Mr. Silverstone entered the court to check on Paulette as Sylvia had requested. The judge noticed his presence. "Mr. Silverstone, would you care to join us?"

"I will sit second for Ms. Aston, your honor." The judge waved him up. He sat and calmed down the client, telling him that Paulette knew his case well. He then prayed she was up to it. Opposing counsel was very strong. Paulette lead the witness through a clear line of questioning, leading him into a place he did not want to be. In the end, the lawyers at the other table had their heads bowed. They knew their case had just been shot down by a junior counselor. When the witness realized where he had been led, he tried to evoke the fifth retroactively.

The judge glared at the request. "Sir, your evidence is in the record and will stay there." Paulette stated she was done with the witness and gave him over to his own side. She walked back and took her chair, sitting without an expression on her face. Mr. Silverstone was sporting a Cheshire cat grin. After court he told her that her calm style of questioning had hypnotized the witness. She told Mr. Silverstone she had caught the witness fixating on her bust so she stayed still. He laughed and patted her back. Then he called Ms. McFadden to check on her daughter, who had been in a severe auto accident.

The next day in court Sylvia asked her about what she had told the big boss. When Paulette told her she shook her head no. "Never admit to anyone that you took advantage of your sex like that. I don't think Bert will say anything, but you don't want that reputation. Judges hate it, Pauli, and they can make your life hell."

"Sylvia, I thought about it last night and I think he was fixated on the crucifix I was wearing. I won't wear it anymore -- I don't want or need distracted witnesses."

"I'll agree with that and the judge did not notice. Chalk this down to learning. What do you recommend about the case?"

"One of the partners who brought the case admitted the suit is spurious and punitive so we might ask for a summary judgment. I prepared the motion yesterday. How is your daughter getting on?"

"She is still in ICU. Let me reads what you've written." Sylvia nodded at the document several times. "Let's give it a go. The motion is very well thought out and written." After the judge was seated, Sylvia stood and offered the motion. She gave a copy to opposing council and the judge. The judge scanned the document and sat back, thinking. At the same time, the legal team at the next table were debating what to do.

"Ms. McFadden, your motion is accepted by the court." He looked at the other table. "Are you contesting, Mr. Hamilton?"

A forlorn attorney stood. "No, Your Honor." Just like that, the case was over.

Ms. McFadden and Ms. Aston, may I see you in chambers." The judge gaveled the court closed and stood. After the room was dismissed by the bailiff, the two women went to the chamber and knocked on the door. They were asked to enter. The judge started with "Sylvia, I was not made aware of the nature of your emergency until late. How is your girl doing?"

"Your Honor, thank you for asking. She is still critical and in the trauma ICU. I should have informed the court of the problem instead of reacting like a mother. So I, too, am sorry, Your Honor."

"As it turned out, there was a very capable second chair. I don't think your case suffered. Ms. Aston, that examination yesterday was not what I would expect of a junior associate. In the future, please wear that cross inside your shirt. I believe the witness was fixated on it. The rest of your attire was quite acceptable."

Paulette nodded and thanked the judge. He had a reputation for eating young lawyers alive. After they were dismissed, they left, and Sylvia headed to her daughter's bedside. Pauli went back to work. She had more work to do. On her desk was a note from one of the senior partners asking her to come and see him. As usual, he wanted her to prepare a brief and a motion. It was back to the salt mine. She liked to stay busy -- she had expected this.

Pauli worked as hard as she could without making mistakes, which were always a waste of time. She and another associate proofed each other's writing, not finding much wrong but being careful.

The rest of the year went by quickly. She looked forward to Ashlyn's graduation. Ash had studied both large and small animal medicine. She decided to wait on specialties. Pauli was able to take part of the day to attend Ash's graduation. She cheered along with Scott and Karen. Mary could not make the ceremony. Ash and her parents had a big dinner party with some of Ash's friends and classmates.

As Ash was coming in, she found Pauli asleep on her desk, again. Ash worried that she would burn out. Ash woke her up and helped her to bed. Pauli was totally out in a few seconds. Pauli was grabbed by Sylvia McFadden on her way in and taken up to her office. "Paulette, we all appreciate your dedication, but you have to take care of yourself. You need a haircut and try a little makeup. Don't trowel it on -- just add a little. Do you get regular sleep? You've developed bags under your eyes. Not sleeping will make you ill. I've made a hair appointment for us both for tomorrow and you're going. No arguments. Bert commented that you don't need to work that hard. We expect a lot but not your life. Now stop by the restroom and try to do something with the bags. Try putting on a little concealer." Paulette did as she was bid. Then she delivered the work she had done last night to the correct partners.

Pauli did not know how to slow down. She understood the need to get more sleep. That night she went out quickly. Pauli slept very deeply. In the morning she had to make herself get up and get ready. She was a little put off by Sylvia unilaterally deciding she needed her hair styled. At work there was an email reminding her of her appointment. Well, she was going to make the best of it. As it turned out, the hair dresser was very good at showing Pauli how to maintain the bob. Sylvia insisted she get a French manicure, which she had always thought was a waste of money. This was the first day Pauli had worn a pantsuit to work. She looked so professional. When they were leaving, Sylvia looked her over, smiling.

"Paulette, that is a true power look. It is how women have to look to get ahead."

"I can see now that I missed on my own. Do you have your work wear tailored?"

"I do. And you should also remember that you want to look good, not rich. That can turn off judges and jurors. I'll send the name of my dressmaker. She is reasonable and knows the ropes."

"Thank you, Ms. McFadden. I need a little direction I guess." At work, Pauli got many compliments on her new coif and nails, even from male colleges and superiors. She had a lot of work to make up so she ate lunch while typing and reading. At one of the LGBT meetings she attended, she was approached by a black lesbian business owner. It seemed she was discriminated against because of her sexual preference by the state. Pauli made an appointment to meet with the woman on Monday, handing her a card with all the details.

On Monday, Pauli took the meeting with a partner present. Ms. Alma Jones presented her case. The partner, Jack Alsop, sat and listened as Paulette asked her questions. He did interject one time, asking if her construction firm was prepared to do a job this size.

She answered calmly, while laying out the contracts her firm had fulfilled. "A reasonable question, sir. We have fulfilled much larger contracts all over the country. Here are six. I also received, I believe by accident, an email from the state official stating 'There is no way I'm going to hire a black dyke to do this job.' That was written by the head of construction at PennDOT."

She put all the documents on the table and slid them to Pauli, who read at them one by one. They were then passed to Jack, who read the intros but was most interested in the email. When they were done, he looked at Paulette and said, "So what would you do?"

"If we take the case, I would file the case and request all records, both electronic and paper, sir."

"Ms. Jones, this is likely to be expensive. If we win, we will try to make the state pay reparations and punitive damages. And they may be ordered to pick up your court costs as well. Please consider that before going forward." Pauli was seething inside. She had not been given a chance to finish. She knew she had to bottle up her feelings. Jack saw the disappointment in her eyes. He knew just how the woman felt. He had been there. "Ms. Aston, do you have a copy of our standard contract?"

Happy that she had been allowed back in, she immediately said, "Yes, Mr. Alsop. Ms. Jones, please look this over and have your personal attorney look it over. Understand we have not as of now accepted the case, but I will get back to you today with the decision. I need copies of these documents. I will go make them now. Please excuse me."

Pauli grabbed up the pile. Alma handed her more supporting pages. Pauli went into an adjoining copy room and waited her turn. Her paralegal, Angela, came in and volunteered to do the job. She liked Paulette, who asked very little of her. Pauli rejoined the meeting, explaining that her paralegal was finishing up the copying. Jack looked at her and asked, "Ms. Aston, can you work up an internal brief today?"

"I believe so, Mr. Alsop. There will be a lot of case law to look up so it might take a few hours." Angela came in with two stacks of paper, handing one to Pauli and one to the woman she did not know. "Thank you, Angela. That was a great help." Angela smiled and nodded and then left.

"Mr. Alsop. Ms. Jones. I'm done for the moment until I can read these. Are there any questions?" Both answered no and stood, shaking hands. Pauli did the same. Her former pique had gone. After Alma left, Jack asked Paulette to sit. He explained that you always have to explain the costs and fees up front. There had to be no question that the client knew and understood. Then he asked what the damages were. Pauli thumbed through the bids that the state had received for the work.

"It looks like Ms. Jones's bid was right at $200 million, at least 50 below the winning bidder. I don't know yet what the expected profit was. It is in here somewhere. Ah, here it is in the bid. Her expected profit was $20 million."

"It's a good case. I'll enjoy watching your work. By the way, where did you run into her?"