Trust but Verify Ch. 01

Story Info
Trust is valuable. Love is can be blinding.
7.8k words
4.31
58.2k
53

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/24/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

******************************

Hello readers.

I do appreciate constructive comments, and I hope you enjoy. This is a two chapter story. Thank you for all those who made comments on my first story. I hope your constructive input is reflected in this story. Happy reading.

*****************************

After he returned from his trip, he could tell something was off. Things around their house felt different. He would say cold, but it was more of just ... spoiled. The sick sweet scent of something that was just starting to go bad.

John had been out of town on business before, and too often. Troubleshooting always went better when he was on site, despite the promises of the newest teleconferencing software. On the other hand, being on the other side of the country doesn't really help when explaining something over the phone to your wife.

"Babe, I'm sorry... Yes, I know I told you I would be able to come, but I am the only one they have... Actually, I really am. Jeff is at the hospital every 3 hours to see his twins, Will is out on the west coast with another customer, and all the sudden I am the only competent one left... I hate it too babe... All right, love you too. Give the kids a kiss for me. I'll see if I can get back earlier. The problem sometimes isn't as big as the customer makes it out to be. ..."

Only that time the problem seemed to be bigger. When he arrived at the facility earlier that week he had hoped to turn a three-day job into a two 15-hour-day job. The issue there was 40 hours of work. His face was bathed by the cold light of the phone for over a minute before he finally dialed. He hated being the bearer of bad news, especially to his wife.

Jennifer was optimistic when she answered.

"Hey Honey, how did it go today?"

"Not as well as I'd hoped."

"But you did get it finished up?"

"There was quite a bit more than I thought. You shoot down one problem just to find another. It seems like every damn seal in the place is either leaking or just about to."

He waited several seconds for her reply

"Dammit, you said you would be home for this."

"I thought I would. I know you aren't happy about this, but I'm not exactly thrilled either. I had hoped to be home now. "

"You too huh?"

He waited as the phone sat silent. He wasn't sure what to say.

"Are you still there?"

"Yeah, babe. Apparently, they went a little cheap on some stuff and are paying the price. This is our chance to nail them down as a customer. I have to make sure they know our stuff actually works, and our advice is actually right, unlike the jackasses here in town they were looking at. I'd really love to be home. I just don't feel like we can leave one our biggest customers hanging."

"You sure don't seem to care about leaving others hanging sometimes."

"Come on. You know I wish I could come back right now. I can take you out Saturday night when I get back."

There was another long pause before she replied. "I really wanted to show you off to my co-workers."

The silence turned into the quiet hum of a mediocre phone connection before she spoke again.

"I guess we are where we are."

"Yup"

The phone fell silent again. After a few seconds, she spoke. "Well, I've got to go. I love you."

"I love you too. Look, I'll. . ." A click cut him off. He clenched the phone, and slowly put it down. He took a couple of deep breaths.

For hell's sakes, he thought after getting ready for bed. They only reason he was out here working like a dog was so they could get a little ahead and finally be able to relax.

Their youngest had just gone back to school the year before, and Jennifer had gone to work as a paralegal. When she told him about the job she was giddy. It was only part time, but Jen finally felt like she could interact with adults again. Even though it didn't fit her economics degree perfectly, at least she felt like she was kind of using the four years she had spent at college. He was happy for her, but it always felt a bit strange to him. His mother had stayed at home and had seemed content, and it felt like a change to have her working. Times were changing, though, and he knew he would have to roll with them

John shook his head. He was still a little angry that she wasn't trying to be understanding when the whole reason he was out here was for her. Still, he knew who wasn't going to make their date. Part of him wanted to make sure she broke the silence, her understanding partially absolving him of his guilt. He was too much of an engineer to avoid seeing his own contribution to the conflict. He quickly sent a text, "I love you, babe."

A minute later a text chimed in. "Love you too. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

He smiled wearily, laid down, and went to sleep.

That Friday, things seemed to be going all his way. As he disassembled one of the seal housings, he noticed the bolts backed right out. The competitor had never torqued them down. For the first time in the week, he finally caught a break. He finished before two and was packed up by four.

"Damn, I'm glad they sent you. We would have been chasing that second leak for weeks," the owner said as he slapped him on the shoulder. "Let me know if you ever need a job".

John just smiled and shrugged, "Just keeping our best customers up, running, and happy."

It felt good to have some praise from Hank. He was one of their biggest accounts. As John packed up his equipment that evening, he smiled. A relaxing dinner, some time at the bar, and before he knew it he would be headed home. He had been able to move up his flight to early the next morning, but nothing was available for that night.

He called his wife after dinner.

"Getting ready to go?"

"Yes, I am just about there. Babysitter arrived early and so I thought I could show up on time for a change."

"Wow. Must be eager for the free booze."

The eye roll was audible over the phone. "I'll be good tonight. Just enough to relax a bit. I don't want to see if I can get myself fired."

John couldn't resist asking. "Still mad at me?"

"Just frustrated. Sometimes it seems more like you are more interested in being other people's knight in shining armor since you already have this damsel."

"Come on babe, that's bullshit, and you know it."

She flared up. "You know what's bullshit? Having your husband asking you what you think about him breaking a commitment to go somewhere with you, you replying honestly, and him calling it bullshit. That's bullshit. If you want me to lie, just let me know."

"Hey, I'm doing this for us."

"Well you can stop the half you are doing for me. I don't want it. I want to wake up with someone in my bed who isn't 5 years old every once and a while."

"You really want me to stop?"

"Haven't we already talked about this enough times to be clear?"

The pause drew out for 7 or 8 seconds before he finally spoke.

"I guess we will talk about it more tomorrow. Shoot me a text when you get back in so I don't have to worry."

"Ok, hon...G'night."

He was thinking of saying I love you, but he was sick of saying it first. She had started the argument, and he was the one out here earning money for the family.

"Goodnight." The phone clicked.

As he took a shower her refusal to say "I love you" chapped him. He had to always be the one to say it, even the night before. But what the hell was her deal? Was she the sixth grader?

It was an hour later before he cracked again and sent her a text. He felt like a wimp before he sent it, but he sent it anyway

"I love you. Thank you for marrying me."

He didn't hear back from her.

***

On the flight back, John typed and retyped an email. He had a good relationship with his boss, but he knew he couldn't spend the next 10 years at his beck and call ready to put fires out. At some point, he had to make his life a priority. He hoped the boss would take it well when he returned from his vacation. He hit send as the plane was descending.

On the way to his car, John checked his phone. Jen was usually one that rapidly responded to texts, but still, there was nothing. He sent another text."

"Hey babe, how are you doing? I landed and am on my way home."

It was 20 minutes before he received a reply.

"So sorry. My phone has been off. Love you and see you soon."

So there hadn't been a power outage on this side of the continent, he thought. It was a lot of one-way communication. He hated talking to a wall. Oh well. As long as the little humans were alive when he got home, he'd get over it.

John knew the party had been a little wild when he pulled in. Usually, his wife had some OCD about her and the kids getting the yard ready to mow on Saturdays, but Ethan and Julie's bikes were still in the front yard, and it was already noon.

"Hey Babe, I'm home."

"I'm working with Ethan in the kitchen."

His wife gave him a brief kiss as he came in.

"That's it?" he muttered testily under his breath. "I have been gone for 4 days. That is quite a drought for us."

They enjoyed sex nearly every night when he was home, and he was used to a slightly scandalous attack when he arrived home.

He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a tight hug. She returned his hug, but her response to his next kiss barely hit "meh" level on the heat scale.

Although a little frustrated, he took his lumps. He had already screwed up the weekend. He just didn't know how badly yet.

After he carried his bags up to their room and unpacked, he looked in the mirror. When had he gotten so damn old? Oh, that's right. Over the last 10 years busting his ass for Jameson Engineering. His back ached from sitting on another plane.

He rubbed some water in his face and thought about the email he sent to his boss earlier. He had read too many damn stories about good guys getting filthy rich. The fact was he wasn't even moving in that direction. Upper middle class with a return to normal work hours would be nice at this point.

He glanced back and saw his wife in the room. The bags under her eyes were dark, and wrinkles showed more than he remembered seeing before. She must have had a hell of a night.

"How was your trip?"

"Honestly, it was just damn long. They are getting old."

"It was long for us as well." He saw her swallow her next words. "One day longer than long."

"Thanks for not saying it. I wish I could have been here as well. After I got back, I laid into them pretty heavily to let me stay around more. With how much money I am making them, I don't know how they can say no. You look like your night was a little longer than you thought it would be."

Her mouth twitched rapidly through clenched teeth into a slight smile. "I sleep better with you in the house."

She just smiled wistfully, but the corners of her lips tilted, turning down.

"I love you," she said bravely as she turned and walked away.

He looked back at the mirror. If I'm supposedly doing so well, why do I look and feel like shit?

That night as he slid up next to her in bed, she fended him off.

"I know it has been a while, but I am totally beat. Can we another night?"

He pulled away quietly, rolling over to his back. She only left him hanging one night in fifty, and never after a long trip. He was usually the one trying to fight her off until they got the kids to bed. It made him wish he hadn't been looking forward to it. Several caustic phrases were discarded before he finally spoke.

"It was disappointing to me not to come home as well."

She looked back at him with wet eyes, surrounded by dark circles. "I promise that isn't it. I'm just beat."

He turned his back to her and shut off the light. It took a while to go to sleep. He took turns being mad at her, his job, and his self. The wrongness in his life pushed at him; poking, prodding, and riling his mind. His anger danced around, unable to focus anywhere. Finally, he decided on being mad at the wretches who drove too slow in the left-hand lane. It worked, and he dozed off.

***

He awoke on Sunday to the smell of bacon. Many ills of the world can be righted by the beauty and bounty of bacon. John said a silent prayer on behalf of vegetarians everywhere, both praying that God would help them see the error of their ways, and hoping they didn't. John didn't need anyone else competing for the world's bacon supply. Breakfast was delicious, and the company felt warm compared to the night before.

The dirt in the garden smelled clean and fresh. It was refreshing to just get out and work. Seeing the kids running around made him realize he didn't want to waste such a nice spring day on all work. He walked back to the house, looking for Jennifer. He heard her on the phone.

"Of course I haven't told him. He'll blow up."

"I know I have to tell him sometime. Jesus."

"Of course I shouldn't have. Don't you think I know it was a mistake!" Jen snapped.

"I know you're on my side. Sorry I snapped at you. Look, I have to go. Love you, sis."

What did she mean by telling him some time, he thought. He wanted to know now.

Television plot lines had influenced him enough that he knew straight asking wasn't the answer. He had to find out some other way. He definitely wouldn't find out from Jen's sister, Tammy.

Jennifer and her sister were thick as thieves. They looked practically like twins, and during their childhood, they had leaned on each other more than children should have to. Some alliances never expire. Some people will help you hide, other people will help you hide the body. Her sister would help her hide the bodies, whether there were 2 or 10.

Monday morning things seemed like they were almost back to normal. Jen sent him off with a hug a kiss in the morning, but she still seemed on edge. In the interest of staying employed and not losing his mind, he kept as busy as possible. He put off any actually creative work until the next day, but there were always some simple quotes to send out, some correspondence to keep up, and some billing to file.

It bothered him that his wife was keeping a secret. He knew that it was likely nothing, but, then again, she was afraid he would blow up. The car didn't appear to have any scratches or dents, the house didn't smell like smoke, and the kids weren't dead. It was probably nothing. All the same, his mind kept returning to the same spot. He had read enough stories of infidelity he knew the signs. Dishonesty about anything where that had been honesty before, changes in physical affection, up and down, emotional turbulence. His brain knew where the itch was and would scratch until he found something. Might as well start the excavation now.

At lunch, he checked Google for any local stores that might carry spy equipment that seemed to be available in the movies. Turns out the movies aren't the surest foundation to build investigational expertise. The town didn't support the James bond market as well as he thought it should. Things would be harder and take longer than he thought. The cell phone tap would be as easy as downloading an app, but the standard recording devices everyone in the books seemed to have at their fingertips didn't seem to be ... at his fingertips. There was no local store that carried anything worth having. It would be Wednesday before he could get it shipped to him.

The cost was actually painful if he wanted a full suite of surveillance junk. How the hell do you explain to your wife $800 worth of charges on the credit card, when it could as easily turn out she didn't want him to blow up about trouble their son was having at school. He thought about how it would go.

"Yeah babe, just thought you were nailing your boss and wanted to check, so I dipped into the kid's college fund. How 'bout some lovin' tonight?" He would be lovin' his hand for a few weeks and hearing the story for years if he didn't watch out.

He decided on a couple of voice activated recorders and a locator for her phone. He could pass it off as an electronic toy for sound processing for his guitar in the worst case if his wife looked at the credit card. Amps could easily cost that. One final click and it was on its way.

When he got home, the house felt a little warmer. He could smell the steaks in the old cast iron pan, along with the mellow smell of potatoes in the oven. Jennifer gave him a hot reception after he strode through the front door, pushing him against the wall in the entrance. Her lips softly locked around his, her mouth lightly pulling in his bottom lip, and her tongue gently darting in to caress the inside of his lips. His hands explored along her back, first feeling her skin, then holding her hard enough to feel her bones. The softness and moistness seemed to last for a long time, warming him slowly, surely, and completely.

She finally pulled back and whispered, "Sorry for how I have treated you the last couple of days. I've just been feeling lousy, and I guess I took it out on you a bit."

He smiled, sliding his hands into her back pockets, and pulled her hips in. "If this is an apology, I accept. I have heard, though, sometimes one apology isn't enough."

Her teeth flashed through her pink lips, as her hand tangled up into his hair. She moaned lightly as she ventured in for another kiss, her hips twisting against and strengthening his growing hardness.

"Then I'd better apologize to you the rest of your life. But if you want some warm dinner, we'd best get to it."

The steak was delicious, and so was the wine, but she put him off again as he spooned her at night. He couldn't remember the last time she had a headache two nights in a row. Something wasn't right. He tried to hear some disturbance in his wife's breathing, anything to let him know what in the hell was going on.

The next night, things proceeded in a strange vein again. She complained she wasn't feeling well at dinner, and the kids were sent to bed early.

"John, I am still not feeling great. Could you take care of the dishes tonight?"

"I'd love to". He didn't want her to know he suspected anything, so on the acting went.

As he sat down at the computer before going to bed, she called down. "Babe, do you mind bringing me up some ibuprofen?"

"Sure babe."

When he walked in the room he was surprised by what he saw. She didn't look sick at all. Perhaps a little twisted, but not ill in the least. Just damn hot.

He could see her breasts peeking through the thin fabric of the white teddy. He wanted to still be angry at her for keeping the secret from him, but his brain was losing focus. He didn't have enough blood to do both of the things he wanted to do in that moment. The more primitive instinct won out.

He crossed the room and pressed his lips to hers, her fingers fumbling at his buttons on his shirt. His hands closed beneath her ass, lifting and feeling her smooth cheeks as he lifted her onto the dresser. The 8 day fast had made him hungrier than ever. One hand caressed and teased her breast as he fumbled at his pants with the other, before losing patience, and finally recognizing he wasn't a movie star. Two hands eagerly struggled to unbuckle his belt. He could soon feel her body press through the thin fabric of the teddy and the nothingness of the thong beneath it.

He lifted her again and tossed her to the bed. His hands slid up her legs slowly, building the anticipation, and then ripped off her thong in one fast motion as she lost patience and pulled off her teddy.

Her milky white skin glimmered under the candlelight, shadows moving along on the edges of her chest. He lay beside her, feeling her hard nipples press up against him as he pulled her in and explored her mouth. Her legs fell apart as his hand slid between her legs, feeling her swollen lips. He reached into her, pulling out her wetness as he teased her clit and excited her moans.

He dropped his head down into her breast, pulling her dark nipple into his mouth as her hand laced through his hair, pulling his head into her. His lips caressed, sucked, tickled, and gently nibbled on her breast as he held her tighter.