Trust Ch. 25

Story Info
My Best Friend.
3.2k words
4.65
7.2k
4
2

Part 25 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/10/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Everyone, I do apologize for taking such a very long time to update the story. I didn't have a computer for a while and I've been just swamped with work. I have edited (to the best of my tiredness) the next two chapters, not including this one, and will post them daily.

I know these chapters are shorter but I wrote them this way because I want both the scene and character interactions to be developed and through. I am working on the next few chapters and hope to finish and have those edited as soon as possible for posting.

*****

The taxi stopped in front of the white wooden gate of a yellow and blue cottage that was almost in the middle of the town. A profusion of flowers, Barbados Lily, Anthuriums, Bougainville, Cattleya Orchids, Hibiscus, Crab Claw and Yellow Bells filled the garden from the fence to the wrap around veranda. The windows were opened and when the woman inside saw the car stop at the gate, she came out of the cottage as fast as she could. Salina got out of the car, dropped her bags as she ran into June's outstretched arms and began to cry.

June held her tightly as she soothe her. "Lina, my Lina, you're here. I've missed you." June pulled away and held her at arm's length. "Stop crying my beautiful child. I'm so happy to see you. I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too. You're safe."

"Yes, I told you I would be. We're safe. No worry no more," June said rocking her side to side.

Salina smiled. "Yes, we're safe."

"Come, I cooked yu soup, jus how yu like it."

Salina laughed and dried her eyes, "How'd you know that's what I wanted?"

"I raised you. Come."

After Salina had her bowl of soup and changed, she went to the beach for a swim. It was in the evening and she was sitting on the veranda looking out at the flowers, thinking about the possibility of having a relationship with Storm. June went and sat by her.

"Something's on your mind. What is it?" Salina looked at her and smiled but didn't answer. After a few minutes of silence, June asked, "How was de party?"

"What party?" Salina asked not remembering.

"De one where yu think someone would recognize yu."

"Oh that one," Salina said finally remembering. "It was in honour of the lawyer and his business partner who helped me. It was very nice and I enjoyed myself."

"Did you meet a nice guy?"

"I went with a nice guy," Salina said softly before taking a deep breath and continuing. "I went with Henry's godson, who is also his partner's son and now the owner of that law firm." She paused for a moment. She turned to look at June, "Actually, he and I started dating but now that he knows who I am, I don't think it can continue."

"Why not? Yu can't trust 'im? He try to hurt you?"

"No, he didn't. He says he cares but why would he want to get involved with someone like me? He has a spotless reputation and character but I'm...I'm the goddaughter of Ian, murderer and drug dealer. He can't get involved with me. It would ruin his reputation."

"Ian's not family and even if he was, you 'n him two different people. You listen to me. I've watched you take on this like it's a chain 'round yu neck. It not. I'm fine. No one is going to hurt me. And no one gonna to hurt you either. You have to start living. Dis man sound like a nice man. I wan to meet him."

"I'm afraid."

" 'fraid of what? If you don't want him, I'll take him. I'm no spring chicken but I look good for ma age."

Salina laughed heartily and hugged June. "He'll love you too. He's that kind of person. He cares for his family deeply and fondly but I'm afraid of him getting hurt because of me."

"One day of true happiness is worth a lifetime of misery and loneliness." June held her hand. "Fall in love, get married and have children. I want grandchildren now. I'm lonely in this house. I want to hear little feet running around." June smiled remembering, "I remember how you used to run around that house like it was a race track. Your father was no help. He would encourage you." June saw her eyes get sad again. "When yu going back?"

"I'm not sure," Salina replied remorsefully.

"You 'ave to go back. It's your home. Don't let no one make yu 'fraid of yu home. Yur children must know yu home too. Mak me know when we going back."

"Aren't you afraid of anything?"

"No. I have my baby with me. You've my greatest fear and strength."

"Thank you."

"Now tell me about this guy? What's his name and what does he look like? Is he good looking? You know I like my men tall, right? My sweetheart in my days was tall, dark and handsome. Him was such a looka."

Salina laughed. "Yes, he's tall and very handsome. He has the most beautiful blue eyes and perfectly arched eyebrows, of which I'm jealous because I have to get mine threaded. He's kind, funny, caring, and I feel safe with him..."

&&&

Mitch took a deep breath and released it slowly before pushing the door to Brad's restaurant. He was there to see Storm but felt he was going to a job interview or the guillotine. He didn't know the status of Storm's and Salina's relationship but he would find out shortly. The restaurant had only been closed for about twenty minutes and taking a deep breath and squaring his shoulders, he approached Brad who was at the bar.

"Hi," Mitch said, "do you have a moment?"

"Hi. What are you drinking?" Brad asked.

"Nothing thanks."

"Are you going back to the hospital tonight?"

"No," replied Mitch. "I'm off for the rest of the night."

"Okay, domestic or foreign?"

"Fine, domestic," Mitch conceded.

"What can I do for you?" asked Brad, handing him the beer.

"I want to speak with Storm. Can you call me for me please?"

"He's on his way. He should be here shortly." Then Brad addressed the waiter who was heading to the kitchen, "Hey Pete, tell Chef to add another steak, medium with baked potato and extra sour cream and vegetables."

"Do you know what time he will be here?" Mitch asked after looking around a bit.

"We're sitting at that booth," Brad pointed behind Mitch.

Mitch turned to look where Brad had pointed. Looking back at him he stated, I'll wait outside."

"You can't take the beer outside. Go have a seat, I'll be over shortly," Brad invited before turning to the kitchen.

Mitch looked at Brad curiously. His objective was to speak with Storm, so he complied. As he was heading to the booth, Kevin and Mike walked in.

"Hey Mitch, how have you been?" asked Mike.

"Hi," said Kevin and Mitch replied in kind.

"Hi Mike. I'm fine. How are you doing? How's work?" Mitch asked in return.

"Hard but I like it so I'll keep doing it for now," Mike replied.

"Good to hear."

Everyone was greeting each other when Storm came in. As soon as Storm and Mitch saw each other, the tension increased.

"Guys," greeted Storm before addressing Mitch directly, "Mitch."

"Storm," Mitch replied. "Do you have a few minutes?"

"Yes, but not right now."

"Then when? This won't take long," Mitch insisted a bit rile at being dismissed so quickly.

"While we're having dinner," Storm replied.

"I won't disturbe you. I'll wait."

The waiter began bringing the food out to the table.

"Do you have to go back to the lab tonight?" Storm asked.

"No he doesn't," answered Brad. "Take a seat," he invited Mitch again.

"I can't," replied Mitch.

"If I have to throw away your steak, I'm charging you for it plus a fee. Now sit," Brad informed and ordered.

"I didn't order..."

"Medium steak with baked potato, extra sour cream and steamed vegetables. Sal used to place your order with hers," Brad interrupted.

"It could have been for her or Storm..." Mitch tried to counter.

"He likes his steaks medium well and she doesn't like steaks. She prefers seafood and extra garlic bread. If you're finished trying not to be included, sit. We would like to begin eating."

"Yeah man, I'm starved," Kevin stated salivating at the plate in front of him.

"You're always hungry," said Mike to Kevin, but to Mitch, "I try not to agree with him but

I'm hungry also and you already know the steaks are good. Come on man sit. We're good company," Mike invited warmly.

"If you want to speak with me sit and eat," Storm ordered as he picked up his knife and cut into this steak.

Mitch sat cautiously.

"So I have a question," began Brad, "you or Sal, who ate most of the breadsticks?"

"Sal, that's why she wanted extra garlic so she didn't have to share or that's what she said," Mitch answered with a small smile.

"Try your steak," Storm suggested.

"I'm sure it's fine," replied Mitch.

"I'm sure it is also but try it anyway. It's better when it's hot," Storm rebutted.

Mitch took a bite of the steak and as usual, it seems to melt in his mouth. He took another bite and before long began eating his vegetables too.

"What did you want to speak with me about?" Storm asked when he noticed Mitch had relaxed.

Mitch tensed. "I'll like to speak with you in private."

"In regards to...?"

"Sally," Mitch replied.

"Okay then speak," Storm requested.

Mitch looked around at everyone at the table. "We're all friends and we all care about her," said Brad

"Yeah man, only he's," Kevin said referring to Storm, "in love with her."

"Speak," Brad ordered. "If it's about her, it concerns us too."

Mitch realized they were not letting it go and he couldn't back out now. "She's my best friend and I want her back," he said with conviction.

"Why?" asked Storm.

"What?" replied Mitch a bit taken back.

"Why? Why do you want her back?" Storm clarified his question.

"I said it, she's my best friend." His voice lowered, "She's my only friend. I don't know why she stopped talking to me. All I received was a message on my voicemail saying she was sorry but I don't know why or for what." Mitch put his knife and fork down and looked away for a few seconds before looking back at Storm and the others. "I know I probably look pathetic to you all but...but I don't know if it was something I did..."

"It wasn't," Storm interrupted. He paused before continuing, "She's going through some things and needs both the time and space."

"Do you know if she'll continue the internship?" Mitch asked with dread.

"Yes, she will but not to help you," clarified Storm.

"I want to help her. I have all the information she missed."

"How did you get here?" asked Storm suddenly.

"I took the bus," Mitch replied not understanding the sudden change in topic.

"The closest bus stop is about a mile away from here," said Brad.

"Yes, I know. I walked it the rest of the way."

"Finish up. I have an early flight tomorrow morning," said Storm.

"Where are you off to?" asked Brad.

"Texas and then LA; new clients."

"When is Sal coming back?" asked Brad.

"Don't know, possibly next year," replied Storm. He then turned to Mitch, "Text me your schedule for the rest of the month."

"Why?" asked Mitch.

"Just do it," replied Storm.

Mitch and Storm stared at each other intently until Mitch finally released his breath and nodded in affirmation. Storm nodded his acceptance.

"Finish your steak man," encouraged Mike.

"Yeah, don't let a good steak go to waste," seconded Kevin.

"Did you ever resolve the issue with the girl who was stalking you," Storm asked, again abruptly changing the subject.

"You have a stalker?" Brad asked intrigued.

"Do tell," requested Mike.

"Probably some psycho," interjected Kevin. "Get a restraining order man. Do it now. People like that are to be feared," he advised, shuddering.

"How do you know about that? Sal told you?" Mitch asked Storm surprised.

"Yes, she did. So was it resolved?"

"No. She seems to think that since Sal isn't around I'm her's."

"How did Sal help with that?" asked Mike.

"She hates Sal," replied Mitch.

"Why?" asked Brad.

"Any number of reasons. Sal is prettier, nicer, honest, drives a better car, not drowning in debt like her and we have the same schedule, ate lunch together and everyone just genuinely likes Sal. She also had you..."

"We're still together, just working out somethings," Storm clarified. "How does she know Sal doesn't have any debt?" Storm asked curiously.

Mitch swallowed wondering if he had said too much but then decided to just be honest. Everyone there knew he wasn't as well off as them. "I had to buy a manual for lab and Sal paid for it for me. I paid her back," he stated earnestly.

"That doesn't answer my question."

"You were waiting for Sal outside and she was rushing to see you so she gave me her credit card and told me to pay for the manual. I tried telling Sal that I couldn't but she misunderstood thinking that I meant there would be a problem using the card. So she said all her cards had zero balances so there wouldn't be any problems. We didn't know she was in the other isle and she's hated Sal since, even going as far as saying that Sal was with you for your money which was why she didn't have any debt. When Sal heard, she told her that there were two types of women you didn't like, dumb and skanks; she was both."

They all laughed.

"Sal has a mouth on her at times," said Mike.

"Yes, she does," replied Mitch smiling also. "It hurt her pretty badly since Sal has all A's in

this program."

When everyone got ready to leave, Mitch asked Brad for the bill.

"There's no bill," Brad replied.

"What do you mean?" Mitch asked. "I can afford to pay..."

"I didn't ask if you could. This is something we do on a regular basis. We get together and blow off steam by talking and having a nice dinner. Go Storm's waiting on you and by the way, you are Sal's friend, which means you're welcome here. Good night." Brad turned to his office.

Storm was waiting by the door. When Mitch got there, Storm said, "Let's go."

"Go where?" he asked.

"Aren't you going home?"

"Yes, that was the plan."

"Then let's go."

"I can make my way home, thanks."

"How? Walking?"

"No..."

"You and I have more to talk about," informed Storm as he got into his car. After they began driving, Storm began, "She's afraid to talk with you." He paused. "She's afraid she'll hurt you." He paused again. "Why really is she your best friend?"

Mitch looked out the window into the darkness. He didn't want to answer the question but knew that he should. He sighed before turning back to Storm. "The one person who I thought was my best friend used me knowing how much I fought my way out of the system and struggled to put myself through school with all my mounting student loan debt. He got my girlfriend hooked on drugs and pimped her out knowing we were still intimate. Sal is the only person who's helped me instead of using me. She helped me when I didn't have a way home, fed me when I was hungry and paid for my lab manual when I didn't have the money. She's the only person who I told about what I was going through and I wanted her to know..." he paused and looked out the window. He took a breath and released it. "I wanted her to know that I got the test results back and I'm negative." He glanced at Storm who appeared to not have taken his eyes off the road but Mitch knew better. Storm was very perceptive. "She waited for me outside of the building and took me to lunch to cheer me up. I just came out the building and she was there. She's been the only true friend I've ever had and I miss her. She has a heart and a conscience and she's in a relationship with you which makes our relationship that much easier."

"How so?" Storm asked curiously.

"Simple, we can just be friends. She complains when you're being an ass and if I tell her I agree with you, she tells me I'm an ass just like you. Then she reminds me that I'm her friend and that I'm not supposed to side with the enemy."

"I take it I'm the enemy," Storm said with a slight smirk on his lips.

"Yes, when she can't get her way. But then she smiles and says we should get something to eat and I know you've won and she doesn't mind. She knows you care."

"Thank you," said Storm sincerely, "I still wasn't certain if your interest in her was romantic or if you were using her."

Mitch thought for a moment before continuing. "It would be easy but no." At the look on Storm's face, he elaborated. "Sal is beautiful, kind, sweet, caring and smart as hell. As a matter of fact, she knows more than she lets on. She's very aware of what's going on around her and it's more than the info she's constantly reading. How many lab techs you know that read up on the global market? I only know of one. But when I met her, she was already with you and by all indications, no matter how much she tries to be guarded, she's in love with you." He hesitated before continuing, "When you accused her of cheating, it hurt her really badly and it was the first time I saw her struggled with in the internship. When she realized you cared about her safety and was just angry, some of that worry went away."

Both men were silent as Storm pulled into a parking spot at Mitch's apartment complex. Mitch opened the door but stopped and turned to look at Storm. "Do me a favor please?" Storm nodded and waited for him to continue, "If you find that you like someone else, don't cheat on her. Let her go first. If you do, she'll never forgive you or trust anyone else. You will doom her to a life of loneliness and she doesn't deserve that."

"I don't think I have the ability to cheat on her nor would I want to. It wouldn't be easy for me to see her with someone else because I love her." Storm stopped and took a breath and released it slowly, making a decision. "Do me a favour in return will you?" at Mitch's acknowledgment, Storm continued, "if you're going to be a friend to her, be a real one. She's had her run with some really shitty ones."

"I know and I will."