Trusting Love Ch. 06

Story Info
Tara learns about the immortal world.
7.6k words
4.69
5.9k
15

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/22/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jtoughkat
jtoughkat
145 Followers

The restaurant was exclusive, the lighting intimate. Trev had told her it was owned by one of his people. He had yet to tell her who and what exactly his people were but she had decided to leave those questions for another time. Most of the patrons were immortals, with a scattering of high ranking humans. He had said all the humans in the place knew about the immortal world. Tara was amazed as she recognised famous people that Trev identified as immortals. She hadn't thought they would be in the public eye.

She and Trev sat on a private balcony in full view of the rest of the patrons but removed enough to be virtually on their own.

"How do they hide who they are?" she whispered knowing that immortals had a keener sense of hearing and could possibly hear them even from afar.

"You don't have to whisper," he smiled "The tables are spelled so no one can hear our conversations. And the immortals in the public eye spell themselves to age and not be too conspicuous."

"Just how many immortals are there in the world?" she asked

"About half a billion"

Tara couldn't help but gape at that. How could there be so many of them and yet the world knew nothing of them? She had never suspected it, though her sister was convinced supernatural people and events were common enough. She couldn't wait to tell her how right she had been. "How can people not know? With that many of you it's hard to believe people don't find out"

"You have to understand, most of the existing immortals were born in ancient times, no matter how we adapt to the times we don't really change"

"And we are back to the archaic forms of discipline" She shuddered

Trev took her hand into his and she looked up to meet his eyes "My people and I do not believe in torturing others. Yes there are reported incidences where humans have been tortured for trying to expose our existence but for the main part most are simply discredited"

"How?"

"Living as long as we do, we tend to accumulate vast amounts of wealth and as you have seen we are in public office and own major businesses. Humans who try to expose us find that the man they're trying to sell the story to is one of us, their member of parliament, the police commissioner, mayor, you name it. Normally they are advised to drop it and if they don't the story gets trashed and they find it difficult to maintain their jobs. If they are in business then they lose their connections, most end up bankrupt"

Tara gasped. "That's cruel!"

He gave her a penetrating look that she had seen many times, one that told her he was serious about what he was about to tell her and would be gauging her reaction. She had wondered at that trait of his, although now that she knew he was some kind of nonhuman it sort of made sense.

"What do you think would happen if humans find out that they live among people capable of feats they confine to science fiction?" his intense eyes held hers "They would panic, give in to their jealousy and greed, they would petition their governments to eradicate us. The governments would want to weaponise us, experiment on what makes us tick. Our children are born far apart and they are the ones that would be targeted. We know this because we went through it before. Each act of group cleansing, like the Salem massacres and many others, humans going out of their way to kill immortals"

She couldn't deny what he was saying, it made too much sense. Yet still to destroy someone's life so callously? She couldn't get over that.

"Tara. We have a right to live just as much as humans do. We are not mutants or results of heinous magic or experiments. Our heritage traces back to Adam and Eve just as that of humans does. The difference is it, for us, was lesser generations ago and we retain the knowledge"

Tara found that surprising, she had not even thought about the origins of the immortals but now that she thought about it she realised she had assumed it was some sort of a disease. A contagious one, like how it took a bite from a werewolf or vampire to become one, how ghouls infected with even the slightest scratch. To hear that they were as normal as humans was a bit of a shock "So you don't infect people?"

Trev winced at that, she couldn't blame him, it was an awfull question but she had to know. A part of her couldn't let go of the idea that Ray or someone else in her life had infected her with immortal blood or maybe experimented on her. Trev had said he had no idea what she was. As an immortal he should know about all the others in existence and if he didn't know what she was becoming she was in more trouble than she wanted to believe.

"No, we don't turn humans into what we are. Most immortals don't know how to do that and the handful that do would not do it lightly. Turned humans are a danger to our existence. As children we are taught to hide what we are, to blend with humanity and not leave evidence of who we are. A turned human would come with parents, siblings, friends who would notice the change immortal blood bestores"

"Like what?"

"All signs of aging would be reversed, their looks refined and at times they would gain some height. Those are not things you can hide from those who love you and few humans are willing to leave their loved ones. Then there is also the fact that some humans having gained the power that comes with whatever race they become would want to show their enemies and competitors how much more powerful they have become. The military would want to get their hands on the way of the change for military purposes."

"You mean they know of your existence?" from what he had said about the government wanting to weaponise them she would not have thought they would know.

"We have an understanding with your government."

"Why?" she questioned having a few conspiracy theorists as friends led her to believe the government would not let such a goldmine be without good reason.

"Because when beings from other worlds, more advanced and or magical, threaten this world we deal with them." He said it with a straight face, casual, as if it was the most natural of statements and not the height of insanity.

Tara laughed at that. That was all she needed to cap this weird ride she was now on, aliens. "Are you for real?" she whispered. "Little green men exist."

Shaking his head he gave her an amused half smile then leaned in. "No," he whispered. "They are mostly humanoids with different abilities and slight physiological differences." He leaned in even closer and lowered his voice further. "Some of them even live amongst us."

"Get out!" she whispered back almost bouncing in her chair with excitement. "Does that mean area 51 exists?"

He was enjoying her excitement though he looked as composed as ever. He had that look of an indulgent adult enjoying a beloved child's discovery of the world's wonders. Yeah it was a bit condescending but she was too excited to care.

"Well, like I said we deal with those who prove threats to our world, sometimes that includes incarceration."

"Ooh some of my friends are going to love this." she enthused.

"Tara." The serious note in his voice brought her up short. "You cannot tell anyone about the existence of our world. Our survival and most likely the continuance of the human race depend on our existence being relegated to myths."

"Two of my friends and my sister already believe in the paranormal and extra-terrestrial beings so I won't be telling them anything new."

He sighed clearly not happy with that but before he could say anything their server returned. They had requested a few minutes to decide on what to eat when the rather deferential server had materialised. She had forgotten all about the menu in her interest in their fellow dinners.

"Madam, sir, have you decided yet?"

Tara had never had a waiter bow to her before and she found it rather fascinating that he did that now. She might have concluded that he was showing such respect for Trev's sake - he seemed to garner more attention than even the celebrities there - but he appeared to afford her the same regard. She was new to this world and couldn't reason out why he would afford her such treatment.

"Yes," Trev replied though he hadn't so much as glanced at the menu. "The lady will have the filet mignon with gorgonzola cream sauce and I will have the stuffed chicken valentine with pasta and alfredo sauce."

Tara had to fight not to raise her eyebrow as he ordered sides, starters and some accompanying salads and wine. She had a healthy appetite but this was all more than she could eat. "Am I supposed to eat all that?" she asked. "The calories alone will have me ballooning by the end of the week."

"You're immortal now. Your body will need more calories and you will burn them fast."

She grinned at that suddenly loving the whole immortal thing. "You mean I can eat anything without worrying about getting fat or anything?"

"Yes, most women find that rather significant for some reason." He smiled.

"Make my desert a double chocolate with extra cream please."

"As you wish my lady." The waiter said and then left to see to their order.

She turned back to Trev then gave him a saucy smile "So if my teeth start rotting will you still kiss me?"

"No rotten teeth once you reach your immortality. Unless you had them already."

She wrinkled her nose at him. "I can see why humans would hate you for being immortal. I take it no diseases for you."

"No. Our bodies purge any impurities when we freeze into immortality and anything we get afterwards."

It was fascinating, the idea that she would live what most would term an enchanted life. No diseases, no aging and a wealthy man wanting to spend his life with her. She had yet to figure out what was between them but she doubted he wanted a fling. Still it was best to ask. "So what exactly is this?"

"This is a dinner date." He replied.

Tara wrinkled her nose at him. "You know what I mean."

He leaned over; taking her hand in his he caressed the back with his thumb, a soothing move that had fear spiking through her for a moment. Surely he didn't intend to have a fling with her? He turned her hand over, absently playing with her fingers. "Every immortal has one person fated to be with them, a chosen, bride or soulmate, whatever you want to call them. You are my soulmate."

Tara had never believed in burying her head in the sand so even though the idea of a forever marriage terrified her she pushed it all aside. "How long have you known that I was your soulmate?"

"From the moment I first saw you."

That hurt. He had believed they were meant to be together for the whole year he had known her and yet he had done nothing. Sure he had flirted with her, hinted that he wanted her but he should have come out and said they were meant to be. He could have saved her from the beating Ray had just given her but he hadn't.

"But you didn't want me." Her voice was thick with unshed tears, the lump in her throat making it hard to speak. Damn him, he was turning her into a mess. She had no reason to be upset; it was just that it seemed another reason to doubt that he really wanted her. First he hadn't made love to her and now she finds out he had ignored her when he thought she was his soulmate. From the little she knew finding a soulmate was akin to being hit by lightning and a person was driven to be with the other to the exclusion of everything else. How could he have resisted her if she was his?

He shook his head, his hand tightening on hers. "I wanted you from that moment on."

"And yet you managed to resist me for a year?" Pain shot through her heart at that thought. Just when she thought she was getting a handle on the present the carpet got pulled out from beneath her.

Tara tilted her face down, letting her hair fall in to hide her face when their waiter came back. But not before she saw the murderous look Trev gave the man. The waiter froze and from beneath her lashes she saw Trev waving him on to get it over with.

The man hurried through his service before he nearly ran off from the table. Neither one of them reached for their food. Tara felt as if they were the centre of the restaurant with all eyes on her. It was irrational but as someone who hated arguing in public she felt exposed. Why had she started it anyway? They had been having a good time until she had ruined it.

"Sweetheart," his voice was like honey, mesmerizing she found she had no choice but to look up at him. "There has never been a moment from the day we met that I did not want you." That didn't make her feel better; he had still managed to resist her for a year. She had to be the only soulmate in existence who had been resisted for so long. Nature had made her irresistible to him but he had managed to do it. "You had to come to me.' He explained, as if that statement was enough. "You cannot imagine how desperate I was to have you."

"Your pride demanded I come to you." She accused.

He still held her hand. Even though she had been trying to pull it back he held on to it until she realised how futile her attempt was. "I wish it were that simple; that it was all about my pride but it's not."

"Then what is it?" her breath caught in a sob but she suppressed it. "Why when I ... when I pretty much begged you to have your way with me you couldn't be bothered to make love to me?" she felt so vulnerable, knew this wasn't the place for this conversation but she couldn't seem to help herself.

His other hand cupped her cheek; she needed his touch as much as he wanted to avoid it. The sincere anguish in his eyes brought her up short, made her want to believe him but she hurt too much. This was supposed to have been a time to forget, just let loose and enjoy a night out. Maybe for him to convince her that he hadn't really meant it when he said he would not let her leave his house.

"I can't risk telling you, couldn't risk telling you."

"Why?"

"Because I can't risk losing you."

She couldn't accept that, didn't want to accept it but she would put it aside for the moment. "That doesn't explain why you didn't want to make love to me."

"There are many ways to make love Tara, and that's what we did last night. We made love."

Tears filled her eyes and she knew she wouldn't be able to hold them back. She felt too much, lost, alone, needy, elated and a whole plethora of others she couldn't identify. "Can they see me?" she asked and had to clarify when she saw the confused look in his eyes. 'The other dinners, does this spell around the table prevent them from seeing that I'm about to cry?"

"No, but I can. And you're hurting me with your tears."

They fell then. She hated all the tears she had been shedding lately but again she couldn't help herself. They never should have come here; they should have stayed at home, talked. She could have shouted at him until she got the answers he was doing his best not to give her."

"Just tell me why you didn't want to fuck me!" She never swore he knew that, had to know that. She saw how her doing so was like a punch to his gut. But she was at the end of her rope, why couldn't he just tell her what she wanted to know without all this run around?

"Tara, ..."

"Just tell me damn it!" she was almost weeping.

He closed his eyes. "You have a chastity spell on you. One that makes copulation impossible."

Her laughter was bitter and she winced when she heard it. "I am not a virgin, there is no chastity spell or anything on me! Don't... please don't lie to me!"

"The spell was set specifically for me, or more likely set against your soulmate."

Tara wanted to laugh, it was ridiculous, the whole thing was ridiculous. Immortals, soulmates, spells and aliens all of it. To think she had started to think it couldn't be so bad but this was too much. He had to be lying; who would cast a spell on him to make sure he never slept with him.

"Tara, have I ever lied to you?" he asked as if he had read her mind.

She shook her head, while he had certainly kept the truth from her he had never lied to her. "Why, why would someone go to such lengths?" It didn't make sense.

He went back to playing with her fingers, his thumb caressing her palm in slow circles that soothed the anger and panic that had risen in her. He continued for a few moments almost as if he was aware of her feelings and was waiting for her to be calmer. Choosing to trust him she fought her own panicked feelings, the sense of betrayal that she felt.

"I, no my people have many enemies that would rather see us dead. Enemies that would do anything they can to see us all dead. As my mate you are the only woman in existence who can have my children, something they want to prevent at all cost."

Eyes widening she stared at him stunned. "They would want to see me dead?" she supposed.

Running his hand through his hair he sighed. "This is not what I wanted for tonight. I wanted to give you a romantic night," he laughed but there was no humour in it. "Yes, they would love to see you dead. My fear for you was one of the reasons I wanted to keep you at my house, protect you. Before they saw you as a human friend i had, now I am sure they know you are mine."

"And then what? You were going to keep me imprisoned for the rest of my life?" she shook her head at the thought. "You can't cage me to keep me safe Trev. I need to experience life, and if I'm going to live forever I need to be able to move freely."

He nodded and she breathed out her relief. "You will have to be well guarded at all times." There was no give to his tone, an order he expected her to live by without question.

"Trev..." she started to protest.

"I will not lose you again." He stated with absolute conviction but there was no hiding the anguish in his voice. He had not said much about the time she had been dead but the desperation lacing his voice told a lot. She wanted to comfort him, to assure him he wouldn't lose her but she had no idea if it would be true. He had seen her lifeless body, mourned her and realised what had to be the worst fear in his life. Her heart melted and she knew she would not protest even though the idea of having people following her around did not sit well with her.

She decided it would be best to change the subject, at least back to what they had been discussing before. "I'm sorry for giving you mixed signals. One minute I'm telling you I want you, the next I want to wait and then now..." she bit her lip confused at her own behaviour. At no time had she ever been this wishy washy.

"That is the mating instinct affecting you. When you meet your soulmate all you want is to rip their clothes and make love to them to the exclusion of all else. Even against your common sense."

Feeling vulnerable she voiced the obvious observation. "You didn't feel the same, I didn't." Maybe they were not meant to be after all.

"Eat." Trev commanded even as he turned to his food. Tara didn't feel like eating but she forced herself to take a bite of her food. It was well prepared, seemed to melt on her mouth and suddenly she found she was hungry. He smiled at her. "You and I are a special case."

Knowing it was unladylike and not caring Tara snorted. "That usually means we are aberrations, freaks, abnormal. I gotta tell you being an immortal is enough freak for the moment."

"We will talk everything out when we get home, I promise. Now is just for you and me."

It was a relief when their conversation turned to mundane things. Giving her time to mull over what he had already said while enjoying the moment, as much as she could. She realized that she had spent the whole day feeling sorry for herself. It felt longer but it had only been a day since she had woken up in Trev's arms after which she had been all over the place. Not to mention seriously second guessing everything and herself. Trev had shown that he wanted her and yet at every opportunity she had found reason to doubt that. She was displaying insecurities that had never been a part of her make up.

jtoughkat
jtoughkat
145 Followers