Tunnel of Love Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Out of the corner of his eye, Mike caught Collette blushing—and smiling. Her posture suddenly improved. Yet, he noticed, she was a little antsy; maybe nervous?

Since Collette's revelation and apology some time ago, Mike had forgotten any interest she seemed to have in him. Reeling from Jennifer's blow to his self-esteem and having learned that Collette had been a little unbalanced when she'd flirted with him, Mike had assumed that the new-and-improving Collette would be on to greener pastures before long.

But maybe it's not like that—not like that at all? Her hand is almost on my neck, now! I'm holding her pretty tight, and she's not moving away...even though her son is over there, ready to be picked up.

"So," he said, "how's your weekend shaping up? Got any hot dates?"

Collette shifted again and drew a sharp breath, then huffed in sarcasm.

"Yeah, right...divorcée with child...make that recovering-alcoholic divorcée with child. Real 'hot date' material! I used to...well, anyway, I'm not...actively...if you know what I mean."

Mike was curious as to how far he could take this line of conversation.

"Why not? You're beautiful, your son is a good kid..."

Collette blushed and smiled again.

"...you're not living with your parents..."

She giggled.

"...your shoes are tied..."

She burst out laughing.

"...for guys like me, at my age...you'd be quite a catch! I mean, sorry, that's not much of a compliment..."

"Mike," she blurted out, "anything from you is a huge..."

After her voice trailed off, an awkward silence fell upon them. Mike was pleased that he'd managed to make a pretty girl laugh, blush, and practically embrace him. Yet, he also felt guilty.

What am I doing? I know she's lonely and vulnerable, maybe a little keen on me, and I'm acting like...like some player.

Mike started to disentangle from Collette. As soon as he started, she did so as well, but he noticed that she seemed a little flushed.

In the yard, the games were breaking up. "Mikey," shouted one of the remaining moms, "come on! Let's get you to your mother!" The reference to Mikey's mother brought a pained look to Mike's face.

"Nice to, um...nice to see you," said Collette, straightening her clothes. "I've got to go get Bobby now."

"Yeah, time for me to get going also. Nice to see you too, Collette. I'll, um, be here Friday..."

Why did I say that?

"Well then, maybe I'll see you," Collette said shyly, "and Bobby would sure like that play date...anyway, take care, Mike."

As he watched Collette walk away, Mike felt himself waiting for something, but he didn't know what it was—until it happened. Collette looked back at him. Seeing that Mike was watching her, she waved, looking pleased but embarrassed. Before Mike could wave back, she turned away and picked up her pace.

* * *

A little later that same day, Jennifer sat on a bench in a park not far from school, watching Mikey cavort on a huge play structure. She'd promised herself she'd be strong for the encounter to come, but already something unexpected had her fighting back tears. Mikey was talking to himself, seemingly reacting to an imaginary play mate.

His father. They played for an hour here once. Some game only a boy and a boy at heart could make up. Nothing I could ever even imagine, much less do.

Jennifer was desperate—and so was her plan. She hoped she still had some magic, some power to exploit. But as she'd looked at herself in the mirror this morning, she'd not seen the glow she'd once been able to project. The man she was waiting to meet—would he even recognize her?

"Hello, Jennifer," said a familiar voice.

Swallowing hard, Jennifer tore her gaze away from Mikey, turned her head, and looked up at the man she never thought she would see again in her life.

"Hello, Peter...th-thank you for coming."

"May I sit down?"

"Of c-course. Please."

There was an awkward silence as Jennifer looked back at Mikey.

"Jennifer," Peter said in wounded tone, "after our last time together, I must say I was very ambivalent about meeting you here. When I received your message, I hoped that perhaps you'd finally forgiven me for my...lapse in judgment. However, I also had to wonder if you just wanted to try to...hurt me some more."

Jennifer took a deep breath.

"Peter, we've both done things that we regret. The past is what it is; I'm dealing with my future, now. If you were ever really my friend...if you ever really wanted to be something more...I'm hoping you can find it in your heart to help me."

"Help?" Peter asked, obviously intrigued.

"I know you sent the video to Mike," Jennifer continued, looking Peter in the eyes. He shifted, uncomfortably, and began to say something—only to stutter. Then, he seemed to mutter something under his breath—a rebuke to himself? Jennifer was encouraged.

Maybe this will work! Maybe he still has a weak spot for me!

"Peter," she continued, "I upset you. I said...and did...a terribly mean thing. What you did in retaliation was wrong, but...I provoked you. I'm sorry."

Peter stared at her with an inscrutable face.

"I need the video, Peter. All of it."

Peter cracked a smile. There was something genuine yet creepy about it. Jennifer looked away, checking on Mikey.

"Jennifer, my dear old friend," Peter said, all hesitation suddenly gone. "If you're offering me an apology, I accept. I have already apologized to you, but allow me to do so again. Unfortunately, however, I'm not sure what you mean by this video?"

Jennifer's heart sank. Had she been wrong? Had James really sent the video?

No. That still makes no sense. It was Peter...he's just tormenting me.

"Peter, I know it was you. James had no reason."

Though it pained her to look at him, Jennifer watched Peter's reaction. He was good, she gave him that—but she saw a glimmer of recognition in his face. She'd hit home.

"Jennifer, let's just say, hypothetically, that I possessed some....film...involving James and you. A complete set of film, more than what you apparently already have. Why would you want it?"

Good question. I'm not sure I do. But it's my only hope.

"I'm sorry, Peter, you'll just have to accept my request for what it is."

After a pause, Peter responded. "Well, Jen," he said, slipping into his nickname for her—a nickname she had tolerated from very few people in her life. "Of course I won't pry into why you want it, but I am curious as to why you think I would give you this video, if I had it."

Jennifer's stomach began to knot. She sensed a change in Peter. The hope she'd felt at the beginning of the conversation was starting to fade.

"Peter, you were my friend for fifteen years. You said you...you said you even loved me. I'm asking you a favor, a simple favor that costs you nothing. Please..."

Peter put his arm around her shoulders. Her instinct was to recoil, to shout; but this was a public place, and she did not want to cause a stir. If Peter needed to play a little game before relenting...she would just have to put up with it.

"Jen, I was indeed your friend, and I wanted to be more. I apologized profusely for what my love drove me to do. But then you wounded me, and I haven't seen you since. Perhaps turning over a film...if I had it...would cost me nothing, but from my perspective that's not the issue. The issue is: what would I have to gain?"

Jennifer felt a shock. She shifted, looked in Mikey's direction, and tried to recover. This was not going well. Not well at all.

"Peter, this is a chance for you to...show your kindness. Maybe in time, I could forgive you and we could be friends again. Mike doesn't know, you see...I never told him—"

Jennifer stopped herself, but it was too late. Peter shuffled as delight emerged on his face. She'd given too much away.

"Jen, Jen, my dear," he said. "I think you owed me forgiveness that night on the stairs, when I confessed everything to you. Certainly, you owed it when I did your bidding and gave James my best performance. I'm here now, at your invitation, despite the lack of appreciation you showed me. If you aren't prepared to forgive me right here, right now, I don't see why I should ever expect anything from you."

When formulating her plan, Jennifer had known—deep down—that it might come to this. That Peter might be too far gone to respond to her as he'd once done. That she might have to reckon with the other Peter, the one Mike had perceived and despised all those years.

"Peter, I...I do forgive you. You have to understand, however, that without that video, I don't plan on making...or keeping...any friends. I can't live with the last...image...on that DVD being the last word on what...happened with James. You were behind it all; if you really want to be my friend again, you need to give me the rest of the video."

"Jennifer," Peter said, now somewhat sternly, addressing her by her formal name. "I don't need to do anything. And I'm beginning to think your apology is...disingenuous."

Jennifer cringed as he leaned into her and whispered.

"I would like us to be friends again; frankly, more than friends...but not if you're just going to flash your tits at me and tell me to fuck off again!"

Peter was holding her tight around the shoulders now. Jennifer's heart raced. She continued to stare at Mikey, trying to hide her fear.

"Wh-wha-what do you want, Peter," she said.

"Not much, Jen," he answered, his voice buttery again. "Not much. I would like you to have dinner with me..."

Jennifer perked up, then felt her heart sink again.

"...at my home. Just you and me; a nice candlelit dinner. Some fine wine. Talk of old times—good times. I believe it would be a very pleasant evening, Jen, if you would make it so."

Jennifer felt her world grow darker, colder. Peter's hand drifted from her shoulder to her neck and then her cheek. He leaned in close again.

"Pleasant for both of us, Jen, in ways we've never enjoyed before. Do you understand?"

My god. I thought I'd escaped the trap, but no. James was just the hound, let loose to corner me; Peter was the hunter. This is the real trap...and he's asking me to walk into it, knowingly, eyes open.

"Do you understand, Jen," Peter repeated—with a hint of a threat.

"Peter, I...I need some time to think about this. Right now, I...I need to take Mikey home. Th-thank you for meeting me."

Peter looked disappointed, but only slightly so.

"Very well, Jen," he said, rising from the bench. "Thank you for seeing me again. I'm quite sure you must have been...highly motivated. I do expect that I'll hear from you."

As Jennifer also rose, Peter kissed her on the cheek and whispered.

"Don't wait long to call me, Jen. I really need to clean up my home office, you know. Throw out the unneeded things that tend to accumulate. If there's something you want me to save...well, please let me know very soon."

* * *

The next day, Peter answered his phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Peter...it's Jennifer."

"Jen," she added hastily.

Peter beamed. "Why, Jen, so nice to hear from you. I hope you given some thought to my dinner invitation?"

There was a pause on the line. He imagined Jennifer squirming. The thought of it turned him on.

"Yes, Peter, I have...and I'd like to accept."

Blood started pumping away from Peter's brain towards a different part of his anatomy, but he kept his composure.

"I am delighted to hear that, Jen. How about tomorrow night?"

Another pause.

"Tomorrow...Friday. Yes, tomorrow night would be fine, assuming I can make arrangements for Mikey."

"Of course, Jen. You know I adore Mikey, but this dinner is just for the two of us. And we would not want to be...rushed...by you having to go home. Too early, that is. You do understand, Jen?"

Another exquisite pause.

"Yes, Peter...I understand."

"Terrific, Jen. I'm looking forward to having you over to my home again. It's been too long. And just the two of us...you can imagine how I am looking forward to that."

The longest pause yet; then:

"Thank you, Peter...I'll see you on tomorrow night."

"Oh, and Jen..."

He let her twist in the wind for a moment.

"...I would like to see you in a suitably attractive and short dress. Agreed?"

He imagined her wincing.

"Fine."

"Good. And lastly...I seem to recall that during our last meeting you displayed to me certain features of your anatomy that are customarily embraced by underwear. I believe you meant it as an insult. It would be a nice gesture of your...contrition...if you would similarly not restrain those assets tomorrow night—but refrain from predicting what I might or might not touch!"

Peter hung up the phone.

Hah! That just came to me! Not bad. And now, you're coming to me, Jen. You, coming... coming...mmmm.

* * *

Later that day, Collette received a call.

"Hi, Collette...it's Mike...Mike Chancey."

Collette's heart skipped a beat. "Mike...hi! How are you?"

Stupid question. Stupid, stupid!

"Um...getting along, I guess. Picking myself up off the floor, actually...which is why I'm calling. About that play date..."

Play date? Oh, Bobby. Right. Not you, stupid girl.

"...I don't suppose tomorrow...if it's not enough notice, just—"

"Yes, tomorrow!" Collette blurted, before cringing.

Could you possibly sound any more desperate?

"Great. I'll pick up Mikey right after school, but I'll bring him over a little later?"

Act cool. Act cool.

"Sure, that would be...good."

Arrgh, too cool. Cold, even. Damn it!

"All right. Um...look, I hate to impose, but can I ask you for a favor? I could use your help with something."

Anything. Anything. Ohmigod. Talk! Talk before he thinks—

"Um," Mike continued, "I know it's really short notice, but you did say...well, how about that sleepover, too?"

Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Stop holding your breath. Say something!

"Unless," Mike went on, "you have plans..."

"No! No," Collette finally spoke, "no plans at all!"

"Great, that's great because...well, Jennifer just asked me to take care of Mikey, overnight, and I said yes...but the thing is...well, I really don't want to bring him...you know, where I'm staying."

So you thought of me? Ohmig—um, come on, Collette, you're not a teenager. You can handle this. It's not a big deal.

"It's not a big de—I mean, it's not a problem at all, Mike. On one condition."

Oh shit. Did I just say that?

"Um...let me guess," Mike responded, "you need me to pick him up early on Saturday morning?"

You're saved, there's your out...but no, no! Don't you chicken out...after all the losers you've thrown yourself at!

"No, no, I was going to say...on the condition that you have dinner with us."

Oh sweet Jesus, I said it. I said it. I am going to die.

There was a pause, long enough for Collette to curse herself a hundred times.

"Dinner...okay. Okay!"

OHMIGOD I AM GOING TO DIE.

"On one condition of my own," Mike added. "You let me bring the food."

Huh? What did he say? Pay attention!

"Deal?"

What did he say? Whatever, figure it out later. Say something, quick!

"Yes...deal...wow! Bobby is going to be so excited!"

"I'm sure Mikey will be too. We'll see you tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow! Can't wait!"

Ughh...either you can't speak at all, or you blow it.

"Whew. Thanks, Collette...thanks so much. Bye now."

After Mike hung up, Collette held her phone for a full minute, before finally putting it down.

I have to clean this house. What am I going to wear? Calm down...ohmigod!

* * *

On Friday afternoon, Jennifer was in her classroom tidying up, when she heard her Mike's footfall—so recognizable to her—in the hallway. Quickly, she glanced in a mirror and adjusted her hair. Then, with her back to the door, she began filing some booklets away on a shelf near her desk.

Mike reached the doorway and stood there for a moment, watching Jennifer. His eyes lingered on her lower body, so well-outlined by her blue jeans. As she stepped to her desk and bent over it on her elbows, Mike's eyes were drawn to her ass. He shifted and adjusted his pants.

Jennifer shuffled some papers on her desk while furtively glancing under her arm to confirm that Mike was watching her. She held her suggestive pose a few moments longer, then rose off of one elbow, twisted her body, and looked at Mike. She smiled as she noticed Mike's eyes falling on the profile of her breast, just as she'd hoped.

Jennifer's eyes, in turn, fell into Mike's trap. They took in his shoulders, his chest, and his surreptitiously flexed bicep, all accentuated by the stance he'd adopted in the doorway. Her eyes started to trail lower, when Mike spoke and she caught herself.

"Hi," Mike said, turning his head towards the windows. There was no anger in his voice, just sadness. "I...um...came to get Mikey."

"Yeah," Jennifer replied, following his gaze. "He's out in the yard."

"I know. I just...wanted to let you know I was here," Mike said as he strolled towards the windows. "So you'd know that I picked him up."

Mike looked at the art projects on the counter under the windows. They were houses...homes...the Kindergarten students' homes. Mike traced one with his finger, longingly, while Jennifer approached the other end of the counter.

"Thanks for taking Mikey."

"Sure...I'll always be his father, Jennifer. No matter what."

"I know you will, Mike. And you'll always be my husband."

Staring out the window, Mike struggled to speak. "Jennifer, I...I talked...I talked to a lawyer..."

Jennifer gasped. She fought hard to suppress tears.

"Mike," she said after several false starts, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you everything. I didn't lie, though; I haven't lied to you once, not since you first...found out."

Mike turned as if to leave.

"Mike...please! I know there's nothing I can say right now that would change your mind about anything. I'm not going to try, I just...please. Five minutes...please."

Mike stopped, closed his eyes, and nodded.

"I know that by not telling you everything, I breached your trust. Again. I know I have to prove to you that I didn't lie. I know you won't believe me, without...something more than just my word. I'm working on it, Mike. I just need a little time...just tonight, I think...please give me that. No commitment about anything else, just a little...time. Please."

Mike opened his eyes and looked at her. Quickly, they both looked at their feet, then back to the windows. It was a long time before Mike answered.

"I'll try, Jennifer. I don't know what you could do to...'prove' anything. Seeing is believing, and after what I saw..."

Jennifer sobbed as Mike started to leave.

"I know, Mike. Please just—"

"HOW COULD YOU DO IT, JENNIFER?" Mike blurted out, as he paused near the door. "I NEVER...I never...wanted anything more than you. When we were dating, it was so exciting, but so terrifying...I thought any minute, it would end. Even when I proposed...I thought...I thought you might say no."

"Baby—"

"You should have said no, Jennifer. If you weren't sure what you wanted...you should have said no. When we were at the altar, when you were asked those questions, why did you say, 'I do?'"

Jennifer gasped, but Mike continued.

"Were you looking around, even then, for someone better—"

"No, Mike, no! I loved you—and our vows, they're what reminded me...what saved me that night with...him. Since then, I've never doubted my love for you—"

"Since then? Since then? Look...you've said all this before. I guess I just don't know what your 'love for me' means, Jennifer. How you looked, what you did in that video with him...that didn't look like love for me. But if that's what you want now...if he's who you want now...or someone like him...I won't stand in your way."