UCAC Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's not like I didn't already know..." The drill sergeant chuckled, "You seem to always be one step ahead. You think you'll be a step ahead on your last training exercise?"

"I don't know. I don't really view it as being a step ahead. I view it as doing what I need to do. After you've lost so much, you learn how not to lose it and this is what I call NOT losing it." I responded.

"Well I would suggest to you all that you take this as seriously as Mr. Elanid. He comes from a place where things aren't as cut out as they are over here. He has had to pave the way for himself and for others and has lost far greater than any of you all can imagine. He knows how perilous this world is and doesn't take it for granted, as if tomorrow is guaranteed. I could lecture you all on how you should take this serious, that you could all die. I'll just leave it at we'll see on this final exercise. We'll see who can truly be a leader and who can't." The drill sergeant said, disappearing up the stairs.

The loading bay fell silent. Eyes of frustration and rage constantly scaled me up and down. It was beyond a doubt one of the most intense moments of my life. Sitting amongst people who have worked hard to get to this point, only to have their credibility yanked from right underneath them. However, I didn't rob them of it. It made me realize I wasn't the only headstrong and arrogant person here. Everyone had a desire to be the top of the class but they didn't do what was required, the simplest task of it all...to sit and observe. They lacked an eagerness to learn, to gain information. That alone could make or break them.

Chase got to his feet, heading towards my direction. His fists were curled, face bloodshot red, scowling. I didn't know what this idiot was going to do. As he came closer, I could see Malcolm easing up out his seat, ready to pummel the idiot if he dare made the wrong move.

"How do you do it?" The boy asked.

"Do what?" I said back.

"How do you end up on top of everything! Ever mission we've had so far, you're the one who finishes first! HOW!" Chase demanded.

"I'm always sitting and watching, wired to spot anything out of the ordinary. I just," I said, shrugging, "I don't know, I just pay attention to everything around me...the slightest details." Chase seemed to calm down, but he obviously was still frustrated.

"So you just... watch things?" He asked.

"Yeah, I guess. I um... I try not to think anything will go one way, either. It keeps me on my toes. Not to mention, I am a big fan of research, so before hand, I try to learn as much about what I'll be dealing with as possible. I say the biggest mistake one could make is to limit themselves on what they could possibly learn. Never think anything will blow over smoothly or that you've learned all of what you possibly can." I smiled, not wanting to come across as condescending as I did before.

"That's not the important question." Someone else said, coming over to both me and Malcolm, "How long have you two been together and how the fuck did you both manage to make it into retraining camp...like... really."

Malcolm and I looked at each other, blushing.

"We're not really together," I said shamefully, "It's a long story about how we know each other but the gist of the story is that we both left a place that had us down for the count. This is pure heaven compared to where we came from."

"Wow... So you two are not together?" The dude asked, confused.

"I mean, we live each day like it's our last...like tomorrow won't come. After this, we'll be splitting ways and will never see each other again," Malcolm smiled, "You just don't meet the person of your dreams and not pounce on the opportunity to spend all the time with them you can."

"That's so sad! You two can't be together so you spend all the time ya'll can together." The dude, said.

"This is so strange..." Malcolm said, looking at all the guys, "Back home, we could have never had a conversation like this with our comrades. They were too homophobic and too backwoods..."

"Oh no, it's instilled in us at basics to embrace our brethren no matter what race, gender, sexuality, religion...etcetera. We never know who we may need so..." He said back.

"Wait, gender? Are there girl Wingsuit pilots here?" I asked, astounded.

"Yeah, some total badasses too! But they're kind of stuck up... They don't deal with us men." Someone on the far side of the cargo bay chimed in.

"I remember when I tried to ask this girl named Pamela out..." Dallas said laughing, "She shot me down so hard."

"Welp, I have a girl. Candace, the Swallow-Tail." Chase said. I smiled at him.

"I wish you and Candace the best of luck." I said.

"Same with you two!" Chance said back, returning to his seat, "Oh and sorry for kicking you in the head a few weeks ago... I didn't mean it."

"Eh, sorry about punching you out right after. I mean, I meant it but... I kinda didn't mean it but I did... nah mean?" I asked. Chase laughed, our conversation drawing to an end.

Dallas looked at both Malcolm and I. I could tell he had a lot on his mind.

"My parents sent my brother away because my grandparents wanted him killed for being gay. His lover wasn't so lucky and was beheaded for his 'sins'... Everyone in that town is fucking brainwashed... Count yourself lucky Denver...your parents got you out of the hell while they could..." Dallas said.

"What?" Malcolm asked.

"Ok," I began, "Check this out. Dallas's mom, is my mom's sister! That makes us... first cousins."

"Wait, what?" Malcolm asked, laughing.

"My mother was from the Brunswick Confederacy, one of the many daughters of the founding family. His mother is another daughter of the same family..." I smiled.

"Wait, so on your maternal side, you have an entire nation you belong to?" Malcolm asked.

"Yeah..."

"So what about on your dad's side?"

"I don't know. He never talked about his past much, always about the future... my future." I said.

"Damn..." Malcolm said, sounding a bit disappointed. He probably wanted to know more about him.

"Since my father was the second son born, he can't get the seat when my granddad dies. My eldest uncle will and he's a very corrupt man..." Dallas sighed.

"God, I bet you're glad you left." I said.

"I am so glad I left! My parents were angry as hell though... well they fronted like they were. They eventually told me to get the fuck out of the city and make something better with my life." Dallas continued.

"DENVER!" The drill sergeant shouted from the top of the stairwell. Unsure what this was about, I got to me feet, heading up the stairs. He lead me into the conference room. General Aquil was on the live feeds, pleased to see me. Standing behind him was Captain Wallace, his face harboring no feelings.

"How're things?" General Aquil asked.

"What happened to Merlin?" I asked.

"Since you wanted to go so badly, I changed your wingsuit into something more...updated..." Captain Wallace said, still holding on to the feelings of resenting my decision to come across the pond. I was upset, not able to come to words.

"Well it's winding down. You have one more tactical training exercise to do before you graduate. We're both flying over to see you graduate... Afterwards, we'll have important business to handle." General Aquil said.

"How are Marcell and Milan?" I asked.

"They are coping. Things have changed a lot in the past three months. We'll catch up when I arrive in the coming weeks." Genera Aquil responded. It was such a vague answer, further fueling my upset.

"...Alright..." I sighed, truly disappointed. The video feed ended. The drill instructor looked at me.

"A lot of strings have been pulled for you. They have things running like a shanty operation over here and it's all because of you. In my briefings, all I hear is, Denver, Denver, Denver, Denver," The drill instructor said, "And I see why! You're one rare Cyberaeros pilot. No one even comes close..."

"Thank you." I said, before leaving.

"Don't thank me." He responded.