UNCHARTED: Drake's Demise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
auguy86
auguy86
1,173 Followers

"Indeed. Most interesting, Francis. It was built right along the bay, and it seems that the city leads directly to that grand building on the other side of the harbor."

Adjusting his view, Francis found the building John had mentioned. "Ah yes, quite an impressive structure. Wide... with an enormous dome at the center. It seems to be an administrative area of some sort. But for what purpose?"

"Captain! We found something!" a voice called from the stairs.

Absentmindedly dropping his spyglass in his excitement, Francis bounded down the steps to find Fletcher waiting for him at the bottom, a piece of paper in hand.

"What have you found, Mr. Morgan?"

"This, sir. Orders for the guards in this fortress to move immediately to the Customs House in preparation for the arrival of a special shipment."

"Special shipment? That must be El Dorado! Does it say anything else?" John inquired.

"Nothing more. Only for all troops to make preparations to move without delay."

"Very well, then. It seems we have our next destination," Francis said. "The note mentions the Customs House, which I believe John and I were able to spy up at the top of this tower. We will need to travel through a city along the bay to reach it first, so let us gather the crew."

Before departing, Francis pulled all of his men together, totaling about sixty strong, and apprised them of their next move. Fletcher's platoon, minus Fletcher himself, was instructed to return to the lifeboats and bring them around to the other side of the bay, lest they needed them to make a quick escape. The rest of the group then moved out enthusiastically, leaving the fortress behind them as the traversed to the city at the foot of the hills. Along the way, the jungle scenery was quite exotic, yet no dangers appeared to threaten them. Francis speculated that the Spanish had already driven off the most threatening of pests when they first arrived. Soon, they arrived at the entrance to the Spanish colony.

The city, though not massive by any means, appeared to have been quite thriving very recently. Yet, like the fortress before, the crew found it to be empty and abandoned, almost as if the colonists had fled on short notice from a threat of some sort. As before, supplies were plentiful, strewn throughout the streets and shops as if it were a normal business day.

"Sir, far be it for me to question our mission, but are we certain that the Spanish did not abandon this island of their own accord?" Fletcher asked. "After all, it would not surprise me if the soldiers immediately departed with the El Dorado statue upon its arrival to transport it back to Spain."

"I understand your concern, Mr. Morgan, but there are two flaws in your theory," Francis replied. "First, if the Spanish intended to take El Dorado directly back to Spain, they would not have come all the way into the Pacific to do so. It is too expensive and too risky. Even with English ships patrolling the Atlantic, it would be a far safer route for them. Second, even if they were to have brought El Dorado here, only to leave with it once more, that still does not explain this abandoned city. These colonists had made their lives here, and they would not have fled except for something of tremendous personal importance."

"I agree sir. Still, that does leave us with more questions than answers."

"Unfortunately, that it does. Wait, what was that?!"

Their conversation was suddenly interrupted by a bloodcurdling scream from one of his men who had ventured with a partner into one of the buildings to explore. All immediately drew their swords, preparing for a vicious onslaught from the Spanish. Soon, one of the men burst out of the building, unharmed but with a look of sheer terror in his eyes, gasping for air.

"David!" Fletcher exclaimed, recognizing the man. "Easy there, man. What happened?"

"P... P... Peter! He... he has been... devoured!" the man barely managed to say.

"Devoured?! By what?!"

"T-THAT!" the man cried pointing towards the building.

The entire crew stepped back a few paces as a figure emerged from the door of the building. It was human, in that its body contained human-like appendages and a human-like head. That, however, was where the similarities ended. The figure could only be described as a creature of some sort, having ghostly-white skin, walking around of all fours, and possessing a mouth full of pointed, carnivorous teeth. The eyes of the creature were black as tar, containing not even the slightest hint of a soul, and only a simple loincloth at the waist covered its hairless body.

The crew gasped in horror at the sight of this thing, readying their swords as it hissed at them. From behind the creature, they could make out the mangled body of Peter, who lay lifeless on the floor of the building. After a few tense moments, the creature lunged forward, but Fletcher was ready, twirling his sword as he evaded the attack and running the creature through from behind. It growled and cried a horrifying shriek as it finally breathed its last, falling dead to the ground.

"What in God's name IS this... THING?!" John exclaimed.

"I know not," Fletcher said, turning his attention to the nearby building. "But poor Peter never stood a chance."

Seeking to quiet the frightened murmurs of his men, Francis stated confidently, "We knew to expect resistance men. Push forward. We must not be reckless, but neither should we move lazily. Onward." The men agreed and resumed their trek through the city streets.

"Francis," John whispered, "I could not help but notice Peter's body. The damage that had been done to him... it was not unlike that of the Spanish soldiers we found in Brazil. Do you think there could be a connection of some sort?"

"It is too early to say, John, but I certainly cannot dismiss the possibility. It is quite plausible that one of the creatures that slaughtered the Spaniards in Brazil snuck aboard the Esperanza as it made its way here. In any case, we are likely to discover more answers in the Customs House."

The group now neared their destination, approaching the massive administrative building and finding it sealed by a pair of enormous doors. Beginning to look for a way inside, the group was made nervous once more by a familiar hissing sound approaching them.

"Oh God... get that gate open, NOW!" Francis ordered.

As a team of ten men worked frantically on the doors, the rest of the group readied their weapons. They were soon confronted with more of the creatures, a group easily numbering ten to fifteen strong. The things began their attack, leaping from the roofs of the nearby colony buildings and assaulting the crew with their strong, wiry bodies and sharp claws and teeth. Francis and John defended well, being seasoned veterans, and Fletcher's immense natural talent kept him alive throughout, but several others were not as lucky. By the time the doors were pried open, at least a dozen men had fallen to the creatures.

"The doors are open! Go!" Francis ordered, covering his men as they piled into the building. When he was certain that all who could be saved were inside, Francis joined his officers in rushing through the door, helping to slam them shut just as the creatures began to fight their way in.

"There!" Fletcher said, latching the doors shut. "They are secure... I do not believe those things will be able to penetrate."

"Very good," Francis replied.

He gave no immediate orders, allowing his surviving crew to rest and catch their breath. The men were worried, understandably so. Thus, Francis, John, and Fletcher made their rounds, comforting them and offering words of encouragement, brightening their spirits ever so slightly. As his men rested, Francis began to inspect the administrative building they now found themselves in, soon coming across the manifests of all arriving ships.

"Over here, John. I have found something."

"What is it, Francis?"

"Logbooks of all arrivals to this island. Look here, the most recent arrival was only a week previous," he said, skimming the pages. "Ah, it was indeed the Esperanza, captained by our old rival, Alejandro Montoya. Let us see their cargo... 800 gold bars, 1200 silver, emeralds, golden masks and ornaments... as well as a single statue; weight: 20 arrobas. If my calculations prove correct, that would be well over 500 pounds. That must be El Dorado!"

Turning the page, they now found that the last page of the log entry was devoted entirely to El Dorado, now proven to be, in fact, a singular statue. The drawings on the page showed its incredible craftsmanship, being somewhat human-shaped and standing easily over ten feet tall, according to the notes. The "face" of the statue appeared quite demonic, with a snarling expression and a pair of deadly fangs carved into the mouth. All across the surface, the statue was adorned with various jewels and stones, along with carvings and images consistent with treasures previously found in the jungles of Brazil. For all of its beauty, the statue still gave the pair a very unsettling feeling.

"So, this is our goal..." John said quietly.

"Indeed it is. You see now why this mission is so vital. Whichever nation possesses this statue would suddenly gain a tremendous advantage over the other in riches, being able to finance a fleet greater than the world has ever seen. We cannot allow the Spanish to gain such an advantage."

"Agreed."

"Captain!"

"Ah, Fletcher. We have found our next clue. Anything from your rounds?" Francis asked.

"Nothing, sir. As with the fortress and the colony, the entire building seems to have been abandoned."

"Understood. Come, look here."

Fletcher began to inspect the logbook, with Francis translating for him the various cargo items, as well as the notes on El Dorado itself.

"Incredible... could the statue still be here in the Customs House?" Fletcher asked.

"Doubtful," John replied. "This building would be a highly-traversed area with numerous administrators and officials coming and going on a daily basis. Such traffic would not make for the most secure hiding place for such a precious treasure. No, I believe they would have taken El Dorado to a more secluded location."

Pulling out his map of the island, Francis said, "You may be correct, John. The map details a monastery north of here, in the mountains. That would seem to be an ideal hiding spot, and it is the only major section of the island we have yet to explore."

"Good. Now to the problem at hand. How do we reach the monastery safely?" John asked. "Those creatures are still lurking outside, most likely, and it would take us at least an hour or two to make our way to the monastery. They would likely slaughter us before we even got close."

"Only if we travel by land," Fletcher said with a grin. "We have found a back door to this place that leads directly to the water. Our boats should be here by now."

"Ah, nicely done, Fletcher! Indeed, there is a small stream leading from the sea to the monastery," Francis said, inspecting the map. "That shall be our entry point."

"Then what are we waiting for?" John asked excitedly.

*****

For the next hour, the crew rowed carefully around the island, searching for the inlet leading to the monastery. Along the way, they noticed a group of Spanish ships docked in the bay between the fortress and the Customs House, apparently deserted as well. Francis made a note to check them for supplies before they departed the island. Soon, the stream had been located, and the remaining crew of about forty-five began their approach to the monastery.

Their hike up into the mountains was a tense one, as they remained on constant alert for any sign of the creatures from before. None appeared, however, and the crew soon found themselves in a massive courtyard surrounded by three buildings: a church, a library, and a mausoleum. The mausoleum did not appear to have an entrance, and the front doors to the church were firmly barricaded shut, denying them access. Thus, they began their explorations in the library.

"Well now, what do you make of this, Francis?" John asked.

The main floor of the library contained four pillars arranged in a circle, each with a statue of some sort on top, resembling a lion, a goat, a bird, and a human-like angel.

"I am unsure. Let us have a closer look."

Climbing up one of the pillars, Francis began to inspect the statue, quickly making a couple of discoveries.

"They appear to be named! This one is named 'Matthew.' What do the others say?" Francis asked.

Several crewmen climbed up to the other statues, finding them labeled "Mark," "Luke," and "John."

"The books of the gospel? What could this mean?" Fletcher wondered.

"Perhaps it has something to do with... this," Francis replied, showing that the statues were able to rotate on their pedestals. As he adjusted his, he suddenly noticed a large compass engraved on the floor at the center of the four pillars. "We must have to make the statues face specific directions," Francis called to his men. After several minutes of trying different combinations, they finally managed to place the statues in the proper order, causing a bookcase on the ground to move aside and reveal a secret passage.

"Well done men!" Francis noted the solution in his journal before proceeding cautiously through the newly discovered opening. The room they now found themselves in appeared to be merely a section of hidden books, but groups of torches lined the wall as well. Moreover, some were facing straight up, while others had been turned upside-down, prompting Francis to try turning all of them straight up, and when this produced no results, upside-down. This finally revealed a set of stairs appearing to lead underground.

"Now this looks promising," Francis said, making a note in his journal.

The inverted torch leads to the land of the dead.

"Alright, John and Fletcher with me, the rest of you men shall secure the library, and ensure that none of those creatures find their way in," Francis instructed.

The trio proceeded carefully through the catacombs, expecting death to appear around each and every corner. Thankfully, they remained alone to the best of their knowledge, and proceeded through a large cavern, scaling the walls to make it to the other side. This eventually led to a set of stairs, ascending into the ceiling. At the top, they encountered a trap door of some sort, requiring them to push upward with all their might to finally force it open.

"DIABLOS!" a voice screamed as they emerged.

Francis immediately saw a trio of robed figures approaching them, swords in hand. Thinking quickly, he shouted, "No! No Diablos!"

His message was apparently received, as the trio stopped just short of the trap door they had emerged from.

"You... are English?" one of the men asked tentatively.

"We are. Do not worry, we are not those creatures from outside." Seeing that their robes bore crosses, Francis asked, "Are you the keepers of this monastery?"

"Indeed, my son. I am Father Diego Santiago," the oldest man said, his white beard protruding from his brown cloak.

Rising from the floor, Francis shook his hand in friendship. "Sir Francis Drake."

"Drake? Fascinating... either you are the Son of God reborn, or you have lied to the entire world," Father Santiago said with a grin.

"And I can assure you that I am not the Son of God," Drake replied with a chuckle. "Father, what has happened on this island? We found the fortress, the city, and the Customs House, but all were deserted."

"Those demons. That is what has happened. Allow me to explain. Initially, this island was a simple colony that my brothers and I founded, establishing this monastery, followed by the city not long after. We lived a peaceful, secluded existence for several years, and never once encountered those creatures. Then, the Spanish Navy saw this island as a suitable hideout for their ships, and in particular their most valuable treasures. We did not object, so long as they promised to give protection in the event our island was attacked. Thus, they erected the fortress to guard against invading enemies. However, when a ship arrived one week ago, it was carrying a massive cargo of treasures, the most notable of which was an enormous gold statue."

"El Dorado..." Francis mused.

"Yes, that is what they called it! The captain of the ship said that it was the most valuable thing in the world, and that they needed to fully inspect it before transporting it back to Spain, under heavy guard, of course. They hid the statue somewhere underneath this monastery so that they could evaluate it in privacy. That, however, was when those monsters began to appear on the island. At first, it was only one or two. Now, however, their numbers are too great, and as they seemed to multiply, the colonists and soldiers began disappearing in droves, no doubt taken by the creatures as food. As far as we know, we three holy men are all that remain."

Touched by his tragic story, Francis said, "Father, my crew and I have come to find the same treasure that the Spaniards brought here. However, your story is one that pierces my soul, and I would be remiss if I did not offer you aid. Therefore, when we leave this island, we shall take you and your brothers with us, granting you safe passage back to Spain, or wherever it is you need to go."

"That is most generous of you, Sir Francis. However, if you intend to take that statue with you, we cannot accompany you. I do not fully understand everything that has happened here, but I am certain that there must be some connection to El Dorado."

"But Father, regardless of what happens to that statue, those creatures still roam this island! Your group will not survive another week if you remain here!" Francis protested.

"Be that as it may, we are resolute in this. If the statue leaves with you, we stay."

Seeing that his mind was made up, Francis nodded in understanding. "Would you at least be willing to show us where the statue is hidden?"

"If only we knew. The captain of the Esperanza would not trust anyone with that knowledge, save for his top officers. However, I think you would be most interested to inspect the bells near the altar of this room."

"Thank you, Father. I will look into them. If you would temporarily open the doors of the church, I shall instruct my men to stay here with you for your protection, at least until we depart. Are you agreeable to that?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Good. Mr. Morgan, see to that, will you?" Francis said.

"Aye," Fletcher replied.

As they moved to the church doors to allow the rest of the crew in, Francis and John walked up the center aisle towards the altar. It was nothing more than a simple wooden table, adorned with numerous candles. On either side of the altar extended a pair of walkways, each leading to a large bell the size of a man. Considering what Father Santiago had told him, Francis surmised that these bells had to reveal the path forward. They at first tried ringing each bell on its own, but to no avail. Only when they rang the pair at precisely the same moment did a secret door slide open in the back of the church.

"Incredible," Francis marveled, marking a note in his journal.

Two bells resound in perfect unison.

"Alright, that is our way forward. Mr. Morgan, is the church secure?" Francis called out.

"Aye, sir. The last of the crew is accounted for."

"Very good. Have them barricade the doors once more, then you shall accompany Mr. Hawkins and me."

Following the secret passageway, the trio wound their way up to the roof of the church, giving them a bird's-eye view of the monastery. They were at first confused as to where they needed to go next, but John soon found a rope hanging over the edge and leading to a window in the side of the church. Upon following it, they found themselves in a gallery above the sanctuary, looking down on their crew below.

auguy86
auguy86
1,173 Followers