Unrivaled Swap

Story Info
A couple seeks a solution to growing apart.
6.5k words
4.3
80k
37
29
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
imhapless
imhapless
3,574 Followers

A common cliché these days when a married couple seems to be having trouble is that they have "grown apart." I presume that means that their interests have diverged, or that they have become less tolerant of accommodating the diverse interests that they always had, or that things that used to be important to both are only important to one of them, or - most likely - all three combined. I believe that I, Brad Braxton, and my wife, Melissa, were in the "all three combined" category after sixteen years of marriage.

We were both only thirty eight when things became so crystalized that we knew that we had to admit our "grown apart" condition and deal with it. Melissa is one of the smartest and most cultured people that I know and typically direct. I'm more wily than smart and more pedestrian than cultured but I am gregarious and can get along with almost anyone. We both found our callings; Melissa became the director of a prestigious art gallery, and I am the top salesman in the most important product line of a Fortune 1500 company.

I didn't, and don't, believe that either of us is interested in a divorce for many reasons. Number 1 is that I truly love her, respect her, and enjoy her personality. She says that she loves me, and I believe her since she is a very poor liar and I would have easily figured out if she was lying. Number 2, we have three very well adjusted kids, two boys and a girl, that we both love to death. Family activities are always fun since either the kids have not yet hit the stage where they are a pain in the ass, or because of their personalities they never will be. Neither Melissa nor I would do anything to ruin their happy childhoods.

When I declined going with Melissa to one cultural event or the other for probably the tenth straight time - she says it's twenty, I say eight, but the result is the same - and she declined sex for the tenth out of the last eleven approaches that I made - she said fifth out of sixth, I say 15th out of sixteen, but again what difference does it make - one Thursday night she said "Brad we have to have a pow-wow about our diverse interests. Except for the kids it appears that we're not on just on different paths in life, but headed to different planets."

She was right. Not only did we have the aforementioned dichotomy but she had never seen the inside of a health club nor me a fancy restaurant.

I was a safety on a Division I football team in college, playing statistics six feet one inch, 194 pounds. I have been a workout nut ever since and at thirty eight weighed only three pounds more than in college and had almost comparable muscle tone. I worked out six days a week at a health club or in our home exercise room. Even though Melissa is only slightly overweight, she eschews exercise and I doubt that she ever set foot in our home exercise room, let alone a health club.

On the other hand, Melissa loves fine dining. A French restaurant with nouvelle cuisine is her ideal, and she often lunches at places like that. I, on the other hand, think that Olive Garden is just peachy, although I might go to a steakhouse if she begs.

Given the situation described above, I paused only a second before I replied to her request for a pow-wow, "You're right. When do we talk, and what preparations do I need to make."

"Have you ever confided in anyone?"

"Aside from you, not really. Most guys I would not feel comfortable in confiding in."

"How about female friends - Gina for example?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

That question was a REAL surprise. Gina Jenkins, before we actually had been introduced to her and got to know her about eight years ago, was the stimulus for one of our few big arguments in married life. I can describe Gina in two or three words, depending upon whether you consider something hyphenated one word or two: "Walking wet-dream."

Melissa and I were at a party where I first saw Gina; she was wearing four inch heels and a slinky dress that accented her bubble butt and consummate thighs - thighs better than what I had previously considered "perfect." While not classically beautiful she is more sultry than a tropical breeze and more seductive than a siren's song. I was apparently transfixed ogling her when Melissa came up to me and in a pissed off tone said "Would you stop making a fool of yourself by staring at that woman's ass?"

"Uh, what...I'm not-uh-not staring," I defensively stuttered.

"Then what's that?" she pointedly asked, not too subtly pointing at my dick trying to pop my zipper into the next county.

"I'm married, not dead," was my flippant reply.

The ride home was heated, the next week at home icy.

"Yeah; I guess I could talk to Gina since she's discreet. I wonder if she would talk to me as a friend rather than professionally," I pensively inquired while stroking my chin. Gina is a marriage counselor by profession, and I've heard an unorthodox but highly successful one. Besides seeing her at parties and dinners when she is with her husband Art, I normally see her three days a week at the health club we belong to since our workout times often overlap. She could fuck any guy in the health club that she wanted to, but the only males she is ever even friendly with are me, the owner, and a guy with white hair who was on the U S Olympic swim team before I was born and has the body that I want to have when I'm his age.

Also, since Gina and Art's daughter is on the same travel soccer team as my daughter, and since her son is on the same recreational basketball team as my oldest son, we see each other at sporting events all the time. I go to all sporting events and field trips for our three kids, Melissa attends all arts functions and academic conferences.

"I'll likely see Gina at soccer this Saturday and ask her," I replied. Then I asked Melissa "Are you going to talk to someone?"

"Yes; one reason I suggested Gina is because I want to talk to Art to get a male perspective. He is also discrete and that way we would only be talking to people in the same family," she replied.

Art, Gina's husband, is what I consider an unlikely match for her - although they probably think the same thing about Melissa and I. Art is a successful accountant but his passion is theater. He is the volunteer financial director of the Community Theater in our city, one of the most prestigious and visible volunteer jobs in the entire metropolitan area. Like Melissa, Art has never seen the inside of a health club; unlike Melissa he is noticeably overweight.

"That's a great idea," I genuinely replied. "How about we ship the kids off to your parents' house next Friday night, a week from tomorrow, and have a serious discussion then."

Melissa smiled broadly, snuggled up to me, and gave me a sloppy kiss, a much more positive response than if she had just said "Yes." "I'll call Mom tonight," she chirped, and then gave me another kiss.

*******************

I did see Gina Saturday. We stood together during the game, making me the envy of all of the other fathers there. At halftime I asked my question. "Say, Gina; Melissa and I are going to have a serious discussion about some things going on in our life, and I would like to get a woman's perspective before we do. I know that she intends to talk to Art to get a male perspective. Should I talk to you within the context of your profession, or just as a friend?"

"Are you having marital difficulties?" she inquired with raised eyebrow.

"I think that 'difficulties' is too strong a word. There is no consideration of divorce, or anything nuclear. We just need to iron a few things out," I replied.

"Tell you what; come to my office Tuesday morning right after we work out. I'll treat it as a professional consultation until I get the jest of things, and then we'll go from there," she retorted with a smile.

"Thanks," I said returning her smile.

The rest of the game we talked only soccer and kids, and took our daughters and two of their friends for ice cream after a well-deserved victory.

Tuesday Gina and I finished our showers after our workout about the same time. "Follow me to my office - I have a shortcut that avoids the freeway," she jabbered as we got in our cars. I took a quick look at her ass as she swung it into her sports car - no mini-van for that mom except when transporting kids. We arrived at her office a little before eight a. m.

"So give it to me straight, Brad; don't dance around the bush or sugar coat it. What is bothering you and Melissa," Gina said as soon as she put on her "serious" glasses, sat behind her mahogany desk, and motioned for me to sit in one of the two plush leather chairs in front of her desk.

"Melissa and I are going to have a talk Friday about how we reconcile 'growing apart' over the last few years - sorry to start with a cliché," I began.

"More accurate than most clichés, Brad. Go on."

I then proceeded to relate most of the scenario I provided above, in some places with more detail. She asked few questions, and took few notes. After about a half hour, when I was finished relating the situation and was about to ask for her advice she held up her hand in a "Stop" motion.

"OK, Brad, I get the picture. I might have a solution, but not as a marriage counselor. Hold on a minute," she said as she removed her glasses, turned to her computer, input some information, and printed out two pages.

"This first document is my bill for $100 for our marriage counseling session. You need to pay with a check, hopefully now if you have your checkbook with you," she said, handing one sheet to me.

"I do have it," I said, reaching into my sport jacket pocket and pulling it out. As I was signing the check she buzzed her secretary. "Marie, input this check and mark the time received on the invoice," she said. Marie smiled at me, said "Hi," and did as instructed.

"Brad, this next document terminates our professional relationship as of the second you sign it," she continued while she herself was signing the document. "Marie will notarize your signature and precisely note the time."

I was totally confused, but signed as instructed, and Marie notarized the document after first asking to see my driver's license to prove my identity.

When Marie left with the two documents and check Gina turned to me and smiled. "Sorry to confuse you, Brad, but I am thinking of something a little unconventional; something that I cannot possibly propose as a marriage counselor, otherwise I'd lose my certification. With your permission - and I have to have it since what you told me was disclosed during my professional consultation - I would like to discuss my proposal with Art before discussing it with you. Is that OK?"

"Fine by me," I replied. "Are you going to give me a hint?"

"Absolutely not," she replied with a truly evil grin. "I will be calling or meeting with Melissa too," she said, her grin getting even more evil, if possible.

We gave each other a platonic hug and I trudged out of her office, more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.

When I got home that night Melissa had a wry smile. "I understand that you talked to Gina today."

"Yes, I did. I went to her office."

"Did she give you any advice?"

"No. It was really weird; I related the situation to her in her professional capacity, she charged me $100, and then made me sign a statement that I was fired as a client and she wouldn't consult with me professionally again," I replied with a pensive tone.

"She called me and we're having lunch tomorrow," Melissa responded, again with that wry smile. "Plus, I talked to Art today too - we met for lunch at the Metropolitan Club."

The Metropolitan Club was one of those fuddy-duddy places that I despised but that Art was a member of and where Melissa really enjoyed eating the mediocre food that they served; at least she didn't have to pay for it as Art's guest.

"Did he have any advice?" I asked.

"Talk to Gina," she laughed, "that was his advice."

"Not a very worthwhile 'male perspective' then, was it?" I chortled.

"Actually, it shows that he's a smart man, involving his street-smart wife," Melissa replied.

We actually had sex that Tuesday night, and it was definitely in the top 50% of Melissa's efforts.

Wednesday night Melissa didn't have much to say about her meeting with Gina. She was so distracted that I assumed all child care duties including making sure that homework was completed, clean clothes were available for the next school day, showers were taken, and that they were in bed on time. All Melissa did was kiss them good night. I'm not complaining - I love taking care of the kids. It was just damn unusual.

Thursday night, Melissa had a bombshell. "Bradley" - I know it's serious when she calls me "Bradley" instead of "Brad" - "how would you feel about Gina and Art coming over tomorrow night and participating in our talk?"

I was flabbergasted. "Is that wise? What would they contribute? Would they just facilitate the discussion? This is related to Gina's profession but what could Art contribute especially since he just kicked the can to Gina when you talked to him?" I blurted out in rapid fire.

"Wow; talk about a compound question," Melissa chuckled. "You'd never get away with that before Judge Judy," she continued, this time turning her chuckle into a laugh.

I felt a little sheepish, but I thought I had some legitimate questions. "I have concerns about that," I replied.

"I didn't mean to imply that your questions aren't legitimate," Melissa said, cuddling up to me and putting her hand on the side of my face. "I think that they would facilitate things and if at any point you feel uncomfortable we'll just ask them to leave - and I'll tell them that in advance," she cooed.

"OK," I smiled, and squeezed her ass just as my youngest son walked into the living room.

"Oh, gross; get a room," our ten year old giggled.

"Pretty funny, huh?" I laughed, then tickled him until he fell to the ground laughing.

*****************

There are some things in life that you can prepare for, and there are some things that you can anticipate even if you can't prepare for them; and then there are others that rocket out of the sky that don't just surprise you but leave you speechless and breathless. Friday night was in the latter category.

The Jenkins were due to arrive for dinner about seven. Melissa must have taken off work early because when I got home at 6:15 the kids were already at her parents' house and homemade clam chowder and lobster risotto were already in preparation. Asparagus was being laid out on a cookie sheet and basted with olive oil with herbs. While these foods were gourmet I didn't have the same prejudice against them as most gourmet foods - in fact I'd have to say that they are pretty much my favorites.

"Wow - something smells yummy," were my first words as I approached Melissa and we exchanged pecks. "Anything that I can do to help?"

"Thanks, honey. Could you please set the dining room table with our best china and silverware - and use the chartreuse cloth napkins."

"Sure, sweetheart; but you're going to have to help me with 'chartreuse;' is that a brand, style, what?" I queried.

"A color, silly," she giggled, still excitedly smearing olive oil on the asparagus. "Top right drawer of the dinette."

The Jenkins arrived three minutes early, instead of fashionably late. They seemed as jazzed as Melissa was. "What am I missing?" I asked myself as Art handed me two bottles of my favorite wine - one that I rarely drink because it costs upwards of $40/bottle and I'm normally an $18/bottle or less guy.

We had a lovely meal, chatting about everything except what we were supposed to talk about. Whenever I tried to bring it up either Melissa or Gina would tell me to wait until after dinner.

We all pitched in to clear the table and load the dishwasher and did self-serve strawberry shortcake, another of my favorites. By the time that desert was over we had consumed both of the expensive bottles of wine so I brought out one of my $17 bottles and poured us each a glass. We went to sit in the living room.

Gina sat opposite me on the couch. She had on a short skirt, which highlighted her beyond compare thighs, and - to my dismay - no panties. Melissa sat in an armchair to my right, Art in one to my left.

"Gina and I have had some interesting conversations the last two days," Melissa hesitantly started out, then took a big gulp of wine, not her normal M. O. "I've talked with Art too; I guess you're the only one out of the loop, Brad."

"Oh?" I said with raised eyebrows.

"Not that we've agreed on anything, obviously," Gina said, "because we haven't. We've had serious discussions, however, and I don't even know what Melissa's or Art's final take will be on this, let alone yours."

"You have my attention," I said in the understatement of the year.

"Well, first off this has to be absolutely private," Gina continued.

"Absolutely," Art chimed in. "It can never go past the four of us no matter what the final conclusion is."

"So true," Melissa added before taking a second gulp of wine.

"OK; my lips are forever sealed," I replied.

"Since Gina came up with the bare bones of the idea, let her tell it," Melissa declared just before her third gulp in as many minutes.

Fortunately, Gina crossed her legs just before she started, otherwise I had no hope of listening while looking at her.

"You may be surprised to hear this," Gina said, "but Art and I have almost the same situation as you and Melissa - it is so close that it is virtually identical. Art loves the arts - I tease him that he was pre-disposed to that because of his name - and shuns exercise. He'd go to a play, painting exhibit, museum, or opera every night that we didn't have child care duties, but he'd never even get on an elliptical let alone use one. He'll watch "Dancing With The Stars," but will never dance, and he'll eat at the Metropolitan Club, but never Steak N' Shake. Sound familiar?" she giggled.

Both Melissa and Art had now finished their glasses so I paused and refilled them; Gina declined any more since she was on a roll.

"I, on the other hand - as you well know - love working out, going to soccer or basketball games, dancing rather than watching TV, and - the excellence of tonight's meal notwithstanding," Gina continued with a nod to Melissa and a quick curtsey by my wife, "prefer meat and potatoes and other common fare. I'll go to either action flicks or romantic comedies, but would rather go to the dentist than sit through an opera."

She paused for effect. "Yet, I love Art, love our family life, and love our environment."

I was about to say something when she held up her hand and said "One more thing." Art and Melissa overtly cast their eyes downwardly and started to blush. "I don't get enough sex, but I'd never cheat since cheating would end my happy home life."

I didn't have a mirror, but I bet that I turned red too.

"So," Gina continued, the only one of the four of us not blushing, "I have proposed to Art and Melissa a very practical solution. It is so simple and obvious that it has to be practical. Melissa and Art should establish an emotional relationship by together attending anything having to do with the arts, and Brad and I should establish a physical relationship. Brad and I will take on child care duties when Melissa and Art are together, and Melissa and Art will take on child care duties while Brad and I are enjoying each other's company."

I had to look like Forest Gump at that point; that is Forest Gump when he was the most perplexed in his life. The next few minutes put me over the top.

"So, Melissa, you've had time to think about it. What's your take," Gina pointedly asked her.

"I—I—I—well - I think we should try it for three months then re-evaluate; that is if everyone else agrees," she stammered, not making eye contact with anyone else, especially me.

imhapless
imhapless
3,574 Followers
12