Uurf Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The bedroom I expected was in fact a flight of stairs. I pushed the trunk up, and into a sumptuous bedroom. The bed had four posts, one at each corner with curtains drawn back. There were grand wardrobes and drawers and mirrors. The window was the one above the balcony.

"Tif," Sissy shouted me, drawing me back into the real world.

"Coming."

I met her on the stair and she thrust a bundle of clothes at me.

"Why didn't you take all these with you?"

"I thought that those were the ones you wanted."

"No, these were the ones I didn't want."

I shrugged my shoulders and turned to carry them up, laying them carefully on the bed.

Back down, and the next trunk, when there came a knock to the door. Opening it there was a young woman dressed in the briefest of course panties with a skimpy bustier held by shoulder straps, the tray in her hands held a large jug of cloudy liquid and two glasses

"Master Magus compliments, a jug of refreshing juices for you"

Her sandals slapped her feet as she entered and went to the table, held only by a single strap and a toe loop.

Sissy looked in from the bedroom door, peeking to see if it was safe to enter.

"Magus has sent us a cool drink of juices."

She crept round the corner, wearing one of her lightest nightdresses, her eyes wide at the sight of the barely clothed girl standing beside me.

"Tell him that we thank him for his thoughtfulness." I told the girl, as she curtsied and left.

"They let their servants run naked through the house!?" She sounded shocked.

It had left me shocked and surprised as well, but she had been pleasant on the eye.

"My love, we know not the customs here. If this is their weather then it may be wise to keep coverings to a minimum." I poured two half glasses and proffered one.

She accepted. "But that is a scandalous lack. Her pants covered naught but her buttocks with barely strings over her back."

I put my free arm around her shoulders. "Let us reserve judgement until we know more."

I had seen her happier but she said no more.

I manoeuvred the second trunk upstairs, then took my glass back out into the cool of the balcony, sitting to wait for Sissy to ready herself.

Sissy had used a sash to tighten the nightdress to her waist, and a light hemp shawl about her shoulders when she appeared.

"Are you ready then? Let us go and make ourselves acquainted."

The short stroll down the passage brought us to the double doors. I knocked hard, rapping my knuckles on the polished wooden panel.

In short order the door was pulled ajar and a youth dressed in only the same sort of panties waved us enter. With Sissy on my arm we walked towards Magus.

"Be seated if you please." He motioned a sofa opposite the one he occupied.

"Thank you," said Sissy, her eyes taking in the room.

It was a high ceilinged long room, four glass windows on the side wall away from us, with paintings covering the other three. Excepting that there was another of the glass doors to a presumed balcony.

The floor was tiled wood, a rich red with dark brown veins, the chairs and sofas we sat in where a fine white fabric woven with flowers of a rainbow hue.

Another serving girl, dressed as the first approached bearing two glasses.

Magus had reduced his clothes to a light long pair of trousers, while his good lady sat dressed in a linen dress, which left her shoulders bare and ended mid thigh.

Still in my wizards robes I felt out of place, at least Sissy had achieved something comfortable.

"I have arranged for a cold salad for the midday, for now I can order some stuffed slices of bread if you are hungry?"

Sissy was pouring a drink and looked to me, I nodded.

"At your convenience Master Magus, we have eaten but a short while ago, these refreshments are fine," she replied.

I was sure she was bursting with questions, but she sat primly next to me, sipping on the fruit juice.

Magus stood. "If that's the case then perhaps you'd like to see my library. I hadn't intended to introduce you to the book work learning till tomorrow, but I have things that might interest you."

"That would fine by me, I would like to know more of that rod of wood you use."

"My wand you mean." Pulling it from its concealment in a side pocket of the trousers.

He was walking me to the door, I turned and looked back, Sissy and Macteth were already side by side lost in animated conversation.

His library was a circular room with a glass roof through which the sun streamed. Tucked into an alcove were shelves of books, but around the rest of the walls were shelves loaded with assortments of bottles and jars of all sizes. To the left was a high table with a long legged stool, while on the right was a low table with four laidback chairs.

It was to the chairs that he led me, waving me to a seat as he walked through to the small section of books.

"This one might be of particular interest to you; it is the fable of the founding of the five worlds. You may study at your leisure. These are the basic books on the magic of spells. They require an innate skill, which as a true ringbearer you possess. Around the walls are the ingredients for the potions and brews that are the mainstay of popular magic. For the next weeks we shall study and practice here, till you have acquired and mastered the art set before you."

"You set me quite mountain of learning here, it may take you more than the brief few weeks you allow me."

"Nonsense my boy, if you are your fathers son you will have this swallowed and be looking for more in no time."

The mention of my father sat me forward.

"You know of my father? I know naught of him; my mother died birthing me and left only the ring as my inheritance. I have sought news of him from all sources."

"Of your father I know little. I have met him, but that was only brief encounters with the other ringbearers. I never visited your homeworld before I came to you, but your father thought well and clearly. Was a sound companion and an expert at his craft. Indeed I hope that this is passed to you.

We first had contact some twenty years ago, as I took on the duties from my father. As you will learn the ringbearer 'governs' his world through his inner nature, what we call a 'Ka'.

The ring projects your influence to all in your world, establishing a background level of your moralistic beliefs. There will still be variations but the median would be biased to your norm. So your behaviour is the given, but greed and the other vices will still insinuate itself in those susceptible. Your power lessens the number and degree."

"Thank you, at least I am reassured of my father's honour. But that my behaviour steers my world, that astounds me, were I to be a thief then all would steal? This is great responsibility to place in my hands...."

He started to say something but I continued.

"... and the one that we are to find, are we to test the ethics of each to award to the most worthy?"

He broke in overtalking me as I drew breath,

"No no, the ring will choose the one to bear it. After long without a wearer, the ring will seek out one in sympathy with the wearers of its sister rings. This in part is why you were first asked. The other three, who will be here to bid us luck on our task, are older more sedentary wizards. To your former point the ring will reject all but those whom it chooses or he that inherits it and is worthy. That is why we are only the ringbearers, it is the ring that touches every mind, even if it's not worn. Read the legends before you ask more, then your questions will not betray your youth."

"My apologies, Master, it seems that there is yet much that I must learn and understand."

"No apologies are necessary, you are to learn and I to teach, let that be the first lesson."

He smiled at me. "Now let us see what the womenfolk are up to."

He led the way back to the great room to find it empty. There was a small gong to the side of his sofa, he struck it once. The sound reverberated in the immensity of the room, and had hardly died when a girl appeared.

"Is the mistress about Ciseld?"

"I think that she and the other Master's lady have taken the coach to town, they will be back for dinner tonight."

I turned to look at him.

"Shopping?" he exclaimed. "If I know my wife they are collecting parcels even now."

"At least they are with each other." He continued. "We know not much of you and wondered about the matching. They have shopping in common and that is a good start. My good wife has an eye for clothes, and will give true advice as to what looks good."

My face expressed my interest in his words.

"Now would you like to sample the wines of Kallifonai?"

12