Valentine's Day Renewal

Story Info
Sara lets her past steer her present and possibly her future.
8.8k words
4.76
15.5k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I extend my thank you in advance to the readers and voters. This is my first ever submitted story. I welcome all constructive criticism and I hope this story touches you the way in which I intended it.

*

"In my damn apartment, my bed?"

"You are never here anyways!"

The petite blonde was slowly edging from the bed covered in my sheets obviously trying to find her clothes. I eyed her and she froze, I don't know who she was more afraid of me, or my now very soon to be ex-husband.

"As far as I know you would be spending your romantic day with your piece of shit fuck-mate Jackson, Jason, whatever!"

"Jordan? My boss? You think I'm sleeping with my sixty year old boss! You're sick! I take all these extra projects so you can sit on your lazy ass all day or pick up bobble-head bottle blondes and fuck them in my bed!"

He inched toward me and I stepped forward, determined not to back down, although I was certain to be knocked down.

"So what, you're challenging me?" he curled his fist and sneered.

"Just leave!" I lowered my voice and my body realizing that this wasn't a fight I could win and I've got enough scars to prove that.

"Or what?"

"I pay the rent Adrian, the bills, I buy the groceries! You have no claim to anything! Get the fuck out of MY house!" my body rose and anger seethed. I can't believe he was threatening me over my own apartment, one I had before meeting him.

"You bitch!"

My head felt like the worst hangovers combined with a freight truck. My eyes ached as I tried to open them. Then I realized one hurt more than the other and I could only see from my left and the right was a blur. I was on my bed and could barely see much else. I tried to move but my entire body ached.

"No, no, no, don't move!" a strange voice called to me as my room door opened. I heard the footsteps move closer over hardwood floors.

I turned my head slowly to see the same blonde that was crawling from my bed.

"What the hell are you still doing in here? Shouldn't you have followed behind that piece of shit?"

She sat on the bed and I felt a rush of cold and pain hit the right side of my face and I flinched.

"I guess I am deserving of that, but I am not really deserving of it either."

"Aren't you full of yourself?" I tried to grab the iced object she had put against my face to find that I could only slightly lift my arm.

"He said he was single, I swear, what you think of me is by no means the kind of woman I am. You probably don't want to believe me, but what reason would I have for sticking around here if I was really a bobble-head bottle blonde?"

I could hear her stifle a laugh and she had a valid point, I guess. But I certainly wasn't trying to make friends with my now ex's mistress.

"Even if that is so, I'm not looking to make new friends this way!"

"I'm just doing what is right. You needed help, so I am helping. He thought I was following behind but I bolted the doors. He was furious but it was the right thing."

*************************************************************************************

"Excuse me. Pardon me. Sorry." Three years in New York and I still can't beat the crowd. I'm not of a small frame, about 5'9" average built, about 140lbs, nice curves, 34C bust, rounded hips, one would think I can move through the hustle and bustle to work after all this time.

"Shit!" the coffee burned my hand and I dropped what remained.

"I'm so sorry," a husky voice stood out in all the foot traffic. I cursed under my breath and looked up at the man almost looking down at me.

"It's okay," I lied.

"No, let me buy you back a cup, Black Cat right, it's just a few minutes."

"It's fine!" I snapped and walked off; fortunately I was right by my office building and just slipped inside. I went to the bathroom and washed my hands, fortunately none had stained my clothes. I slowly walked to the elevator and to my office, more disappointed than one should be over a cup of coffee. Sat down, slouched in my chair and spun around looking outside.

'February 2, just about that time again.' I sighed and turned back to face my desk. I had come far in those three years, it's about time I start letting go. The day passed uneventfully and it was time to head home again to do absolutely nothing, and go absolutely nowhere. The same routine would probably depress most people but I think I have grown to accept and appreciate it.

I shuffled through the crowd as always, this time no one spilled my coffee and I turned into my building. As I stepped towards the elevator a tall figure almost blocked my path, nearly causing a repeat of yesterday.

"What the hell?"

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to bring you your coffee from yesterday," I looked at the man and actually saw him today. At least 6'2", honey blonde hair, eyes resembling emeralds, an obvious athletic build, dressed in a blazer that looked rather expensive and dark-washed jeans.

"Well sorry to disappoint but I already have my coffee." I lifted my hand as proof.

"This is why I came to find out what you drink so I can purchase it tomorrow morning."

"Thank you but no! Good bye." I moved around him and into the elevator that just landed and was now vacant. I pressed the button for my floor and waited for it to close. I could feel him staring and I was determined not to meet his gaze.

"Well what do you know, I'm going to.........." He stepped in and looked at the laminated keypad,

"The tenth floor too."

"It was a cup of coffee, let it go!" I hissed as the doors were now closing.

"Why are you being so mean?"

"I beg your pardon? You are harassing me and asking why I am being mean! You're a pompous man who obviously thinks he must have his way! Well let me give you a little insight into life.........it doesn't work that way!"

"Wow!? Pompous! What an assumption! Harassing? For being chivalrous in trying to return the coffee I spilled. You have a very interesting perception of a person's actions."

"Whatever!"

'Four.........five.................six'

Could this elevator move any slower? I felt him glaring at me still.

"What do you want? A date? A screw? A trophy girlfriend? Why are you so obsessed with the damn coffee?"

"A trophy girlfriend wouldn't work in a prestigious accounting firm, unless she's the mail clerk, you don't dress like a mail clerk! I know where to find a hardware so I can always go buy as many screws as I like, and lastly, I would have asked for a date but you seem rather iced over despite you physical appearance!" he smirked toward me.

The door rang open, "Choke on a fortune cookie you ass!" I stepped out and stomped toward my office and closed my glass doors. As soon as I stepped in my office phone buzzed.

"Good morning Mr. Grisham,"

"Sara, good morning dear, can you bring up the Bookner accounts in a few minutes please. I want to run over it with you before they arrive."

"Definitely sir, I'll be up in five minutes."

"Thank you"

I hung up and went to my file cabinet and got everything together, I wanted to have a few sips of my coffee but why have it linger on my breath. I sighed and headed back to the elevator. I walked across the grand lobby and nodded to the secretary as I knocked on the unnecessarily large doors.

"Come in," I pushed through. "Sara, perfect timing, they'll probably be here in a half hour or so, so let's make this quick."

I sat across from him and we discussed figures and statements, basically the stuff he didn't bother himself with. He liked the big picture, red numbers or black numbers. He was still a good boss and I guess with overseeing everything you hire persons like me to see the small stuff.

"Thank you; I don't know what I would do without you. Always on point."

"Thanks Mr. Grisham." I stood and headed towards the door. As I pulled on the door to my dismay, there was the pompous coffee ass.

"Bradley, my boy, come in! Sara come here, meet my step-son!"

I stepped back slowly as he stepped in and went towards Mr Grisham and hugged him.

"Sara Michaels, Bradley Graham" he said motioning between the two of us. I stood a fair distance almost as though contemplating to run.

"Sara is one of our top accountants and auditors here. Been making waves for the three years she's been with us, probably exec by the end of this year. She's the woman I wanted you to work with next month."

"Pleased to meet you," Bradley extended his hand and smile, almost a smirk. At least he was being professional about our unfortunate meeting. I extended my own hand almost trembling. "Same here"

"That project I had mentioned to you for next month, the accounts that have been neglected and almost back logged, Bradley is here to help, sort of like an entry exam," he laughed towards his son.

"Help me? I thought another senior CPA was to work on these with me?" I almost sounded a bit harsher than I intended.

"That was the plan but Brad is to come in as an exec, so this will give him a taste of what we have been doing before he comes to hang out with us!" he elbowed him.

"Actually, since I'm here now, why don't we start now, unless that's a problem Sara?" his face showed obvious pleasure in my discomfort.

"Great idea, I've got clients coming in, but Sara is always on point and she's the best person to follow. Go ahead. I'll try to check in later. Hope you don't mind sharing your office temporarily Sara?"

I smiled knowing it was a command not a question. I turned toward the door and opened it and I heard the footsteps follow. I walked towards the elevator and suddenly I noticed my red bottoms echoing in the hall. The elevator opened and we both stepped inside. The doors closed with a 'ding' and the awkwardness descended like hail. I stared at the door, willing it to open as though it would help me breathe. Finally at my floor and I went to my office door and stood to the side as he entered then closed it. I walked to my desk, sat and sighed.

"Thank you for being gracious about our incident, it is appreciated."

"Oh my, she speaks in a tone other than bitterness!" he mumbled as he stared out the large glass windows.

"You .........."

"I know, pompous man who should go and choke on a fortune cookie," he burst into laughter which only made me rage even more. "Who says that; choke on a fortune cookie?"

"Look, I don't know what you deal is, but I don't like you anymore than you like me but I unfortunately still have to work with you. Can we please do what we are supposed to be doing so you can be on your way and I can be on mine?"

"Ah, the cold one returns," he said turning on his heels towards me. "I am willing to work, as long as you stop trying to chew my head off!"

"Then don't provoke me!"

"Should I stop breathing then?"

'Maybe' I muttered as I moved towards the large stack of boxes in the corner. I lifted one and placed it on my desk with a heave.

"This box as well as the six you see over there are all the accounts Mr. Grisham was referencing. I wasn't to start them until next month. I would assume the deadline will be the same but I don't like to waste time. So you can take this one and I'll start working on the others."

"One box of seven?"

"Finish one before you start acting as though you can do it all!"

I cleared my table providing space for both of us and I pulled a box to my feet on the other side of the desk. He said nothing; he just opened the box and started working. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye; he looked very pensive, as though he was actually working. I returned to my work as though I were alone.

"I'm going to get a bite for lunch, I am almost afraid to offer you something!"

I looked at him and tried not to be rude, "I am fine, thank you."

"Suit yourself," he waved me off and went through the door.

I hissed and returned to my papers. I had a few drinks of water but kept at my task. He eventually returned with a take away bag. He placed it on my side of the desk, "It's just a salad, if you don't want it its fine."

"Thank you," I said barely looking up. He sighed and went back to his stack.

The afternoon passed pretty quickly, quicker than I'd like with so much work to be done, I even found myself snacking at the salad he had brought.

"I'm heading out, I'll see you tomorrow Sara?"

"I work here so I guess so,"

He organised his papers and looked over at me, "Can't you answer someone without being unkind?"

"I'm not unkind; I just do my work and usually need not say or do anything else."

He didn't respond and headed through the doors.

I gathered my own things and left shortly after.

The night passed uneasily, discomfort and frustration riddled my sleep but I woke for another day of work as though it hadn't happened. This month always brought restlessness for me. I got to my office to see Bradley already there, working on his pile from yesterday.

"Good morning," I tried my best to sound pleasant.

"Good morning,"

I pulled $10 from my purse, "thank you for the salad yesterday,"

He looked at me, almost bemused, "It was just a salad, that is not necessary."

I saw no point in trying to argue especially after the original coffee problem. I just said thank you again. He left for lunch and came back with a salad again. We worked in silence as I eventually reached for the salad. We repeated our trend for the next day to follow, as did my restless night.

On Friday, I got in early and Bradley wasn't there as yet, so I put forty dollars in an envelope and set it on top of his stack. He walked in moments later and said 'Good Morning'.

I slightly raised my head from my work to respond just as he was opening the envelope. 'Please don't turn this into an argument' I mumbled to myself.

"I only bought you three salads," he said ruffling the envelope.

"I figured since you would probably do it today, I'd pay for it in advance,"

He sighed and set down the envelope with the cash in the center of the desk and buried himself in his paperwork. However he didn't leave for lunch today, a fact my stomach noticed but soon got over. It was my norm whenever I had work to stay in and in most cases, not eat. We worked in silence other than to confer on problems a few times. The day passed and the office yellowed from the setting sun signalling the end of the day.

"Enjoy your weekend, Sara" he called over his shoulder, probably not wanting to deal with my retort. And he was gone.

I shuffled around to do the same, but then what was the point, I barely slept. I unpacked my work on the floor, took off my jacket, kicked off my shoes and settled on the floor by the window so I could see the city. I had a sandwich with some horrid coffee from the break-room and got back to work. I leaned my head against the glass and looked down, people scurried everywhere, peddlers pushing roses and cards, even my regular coffee shop had spewed Valentine's Day all over itself. As I sat on the floor, the silent tears came. I sobbed in silence but cursed at my life. Adrian had managed to ruin an entire month every year for four years, and I let him. I knew things were bad and in general, I did try. I had it all planned, I had even gotten time off for one week starting on the 14th, made bed and breakfast reservations......... all for naught. At least I'd had the week off the nurse the black eye and bruises from that evening. The sobbing broke free into a fully fledged cry in the corner of my office. My door swung open, and I looked up instinctively forgetting about my current state. Bradley. Why now? He stared at me and I looked back out the window and tried to wipe my eyes and found it was terribly futile.

"I'd left my charger," he said softly. I didn't respond and kept looking outside. I heard the footsteps move towards me, then realized I was without my jacket and my spaghetti strapped silk blouse exposed the scar between my left breast and shoulder blade. I grabbed my jacket from the floor and swung it on hurriedly. The footsteps stopped and he sighed. His steps became distant, and he left, the door closing behind him. I hugged my knees and cried profusely at my state for the better part of the hour until I calmed a bit and returned to only a sob.

The door reopened and I didn't bother to look around this time. I must have looked worse than before and was hoping he would just leave. The steps came closer and I could feel him almost standing over me but I didn't budge, my eyes still glued to the window pane. He set down a bag on top of my work and moved away. I glanced from the corner of my eye to see that it was take out. Papers shuffled to my right then he returned and dropped them on the ground.

Moments later his back was leaned against the glass and he got to work. I slowly turned my attention to my work as well, sobbing softly now but eventually stopping as I got further into my work again. He didn't speak, I didn't feel him stare, his eyes seemed to be glued to the documents, and I realized I was now staring. He had a strong, masculine frame, one I would usually appreciate. His clenched jaw and furrowed brows, the strands of hair that fell over his left eye. I reprimanded myself and went back to work.

The food between us did smell good, and my stomach snitched on how hungry I was and I felt my face redden. He set his papers aside and grabbed the take-out bag.

"Cheese steak or turkey on rye?" he said holding a sandwich in each hand. I looked at him almost timidly and moved to take the turkey sandwich. He unwrapped the other for himself and dove in. I took small bites of mine, still looking out.

"I'm originally from Ohio.............." he said looking at me. He paused but I said nothing. Silence. "I spent the last four years studying at Cambridge." Silence. "I love dogs but I think Chihuahua's are creepy"

I smiled wearily at him and looked back outside, "I've been in NYC for three and a half years, I like dogs, but no personal thoughts on Chihuahuas." I decided it couldn't hurt to go along, he was trying but not being pushy.

"How are you getting home?"

"I walk, I don't live far" I looked at my phone, almost 11pm. "I actually should get going. It is rather late."

"OK, I can drive you,"

"No, I'll walk. It's not far, and it's still busy out considering it's a Friday"

"I've gathered that it's not far...............but I will still drive you."

I didn't really fell like walking, but then I didn't really feel like driving with him either, but the fact that I didn't feel like arguing out-weighed it all.

"Thank you," I said while putting things together. I have to admit, the silence, no questions, no pity; it made me appreciate his actions this evening. Maybe that's the real reason I agreed to go. We closed up and went to the garage and walk towards the sole vehicle in the lot. Not to my surprise, a Porshe. Typical. I made good money, but that was never in my thoughts. We got in and he logged my address for the GPS and drove out. It was really almost an hour's walk but I made my mornings better by stopping for coffee at Black Cat along the way. It was my 'ME' time, not that I was currently lacking. We drove in silence and I stared out the window.

'You have reached your destination!'

He pulled toward the high rise apartments and turned into the parking.

"I don't want to pry........." he started

"Then don't!" I bit back. Even I felt badly after words left my lips.

"You have a serious problem, you know that! Whatever IT is that's made you so indignant, I am not to blame. Apparently that scar runs deeper than the surface!"

I hugged my jacket closer; I had hoped he hadn't seen it. My eyes swelled with tears, and I opened the door, "Thank you, good night!"

"Sar......." My name trailed as I closed the door behind me. I took the stairs two at a time rather than the elevator and locked myself in my apartment. I sunk to the floor and cried and fell asleep in that very space.