Vamp Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The girl gave him a wide berth, unsure of his intentions. She had already heard Lorelei hiss at him regarding her presence and knew her safety lay in her mistress. He looked at her like a cat playing with a mouse.


Ambrose and Lorelei sat at the table, waiting, as they ate the veal, for the girl to return.

"I see that she has adjusted well," Ambrose said, jealously, watching the slim girl enter the room and sit near Lorelei, lightly brushing the vamp's arm as she did.

"Yes... and you'd be well advised to leave her alone." Lorelei turned to Jade and pulling the girl's head to her, kissed her open-mouthed. If it had been possible, the Chinese girl would have blushed, still not used to the woman's open display of affection, but the swift movement of blood no longer was possible in her changing body.

Lorelei glared at Ambrose, daring him to protest. He said nothing, his face remaining emotionally blank. She wondered if she would eventually be that cold. Did it inevitably come with time or was it a product of his own cold heart? She still felt passion... or possessiveness... which one was it? She didn't know.

Ambrose turned to the front door as it opened. Andrea had returned from what had been her home and walked up the stairs to her bedroom.

"You know why..." he said, forestalling any comments Lorelei might have made.

"Yes," she replied, "I do... make sure that you do, also."

**********

Ambrose walked into the dining room, sat down to his breakfast and then left for police headquarters downtown, where he met his partner, Lee Givens.

"The autopsy is waiting on us. God, I hate going to these things," said Lee.

"Goes with the territory..." Ambrose replied. "I would think that after ten years, you'd be used to it."

"I still don't know how you do it," Lee said, "it is just creepy."


The two walked in and saw the coroner, David Jones, standing in his white lab coat.

"You look half-asleep," said Jones, a faint smile on his face.

"It's the air-conditioning, it's too cold for me," answered Ambrose. "You all set?"

Jones was standing next to the table, his fingertips resting lightly on its edge, like a piano player preparing to begin. Ambrose wondered if Jones had ever been with live patients.

Jones nodded to Lee and Ambrose. "Yeah..."

"So... how long is this going to take," asked Lee, running a finger around his collar, uncomfortably.

"You know, Lee, if you want to wait outside, I can stay."

"No, that's OK, let's just get this over with."

"Maybe thirty minutes at most, I hope. I basically just want to draw some blood, lift his prints, check for anything obvious."

Jones looked at the body's pupils, felt for rigor and examined the man's neck. It had taken all of seven minutes because he was working so slowly.

"Look at this," he said. "There's some puncture wounds here, just above the slashed throat."

During the Korean War, Ambrose had seen bodies shot, burned, maimed, blown up and frozen to death but none had been hurt with the savagery before him. The death was a more personal attack, directed at the dead man for a reason. He recognized Lorelei's handiwork and knew he'd have to speak to her, later.

Knowing that, he no longer listened carefully, recognizing there'd be no solution to this case.

What, he wondered, had motivated her to take such drastic steps in killing the man? That the dead man deserved to die, he had no doubt. Lorelei did not take killing lightly, only having done it fewer than a dozen times since they had been together. In his own mind, they were all justified. Who had been this man, now a bloodied corpse?

He was not bad looking, of medium height and build, probably in his late twenties, with a strong upper torso and only the faint beginnings of a soft waistline. His hair had been carefully cut, his fingernails were neat and evenly clipped and once his clothes had been removed, his skin was shown to be clean. There was a silver ring on his right hand, matched by a silver chain around what was left of his neck.

Jones noticed, again, the now bloodless dime-sized punctures.

"This is strange," said the coroner. "It seems to be some type of puncture but there's no blood there."

"A knife wound?" Ambrose ventured, knowing full well what it was.

"I don't think so, it's more like... it's jagged, more like a fireplace poker, or something like that."

Jones turned the head to the side and took several photographs. "He died a quick, violent death... it's a toss-up between bleeding to death and no blood flow to the brain. The carotids have been destroyed. Either way, it's a pretty painful way to go."

Lee stepped back from the body, wiping his face with a handkerchief. "So," he asked, "the killer was facing him?"

"Presumably... for him to stand behind, he'd have to be pretty tall."

"You said, 'he'."

"Oh, yes. It has to be another man, the strength necessary, the violence..."

Ambrose looked at Lee. "You seen enough?"

Lee turned and left the examination room, heading toward the men's restroom.

"Well, thanks, Doctor, I guess we'll see what we can do." Ambrose walked out and went looking for his partner.

**********

Summer, 1967
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco...

The 'Summer of Love' had descended upon San Francisco like the dense morning fog that rose from the bay, covering everything in its wake.

Ambrose had taken to staying out all night, sometimes staying away for a week at a time, returning only to say he was still in the city.

"You wish to go?" Lorelei asked Jade, seeing her wistfully looking at the young hippies wandering through the Golden Gate Park.

"Yes, I would like that," she answered.

It still amazed Lorelei how her lover could be so reserved and taciturn during the day and so vocal and demonstrative at night. Jade looked for a place to park her Corvette, finally leaving the convertible near a police car. The police seemed to be everywhere.

The two women walked through the throngs of people, watching the young girls with their beaded hair and low-cut jeans.

"So young," Lorelei said, smelling the pungent odor of marijuana floating through the park. She spied a girl, no more than fifteen or sixteen, she thought, lost in the clouds that surrounded her. Lorelei shook her head and looked at Jade, glad for her lover's quiet control. "Seen enough?" she enquired.

"Yes... it is so sad, their search for love that doesn't exist, here."

Even though people gave them a wide berth, it still took a while to work their way back through the crowds that had filled the park that day. Jade started the car and they drove away toward the Pacific, the wind blowing away the lingering smell of the weed.

One thing Lorelei never had to do was ask Jade if she was happy... she knew.

**********

Spring, 2012
Balboa Park, San Diego...

Lorelei and Jade slowly walked along the lily pool, occasionally stopping to watch the small golden fish glide by. Lorelei sat down on the cement bench, trailing a cool finger into the water. She watched her lover still standing, the seventy-six-year-old woman's seemingly young body blocking the afternoon sun from her face.

It didn't seem strange, after all the centuries, that one woman would love another. Ambrose had become... something else... selfish, more than he had been, to her dismay. It had happened during the 80s, she decided, when he was caught up in the thrill of making money, dollars... hand over fist. Lorelei turned away from him, keeping Jade closer to her heart than ever before.

Over the years, Jade had let her hair grow longer to please her mistress and Lorelei still thrilled to the touch of it on her face as they made love each evening. While sleep never easily came, they continued to lie together; their bodies intertwining coolly, limbs together, lips touching, hearts beating slowly in unison.

"Miss Lorelei?" the girl... Lorelei never thought of her other than as a girl... asked.

"Yes, my sweet Jade?" She looked up into her lover's face, the girl's eyes narrow slits against the glare from the water.

"Ice cream?" the girl asked, licking her pouty lips in anticipation.

"Yes, of course, my love." Lorelei stood up and yawned. She still looked in her early twenties, Jade still looked eighteen; the years had not touched them and never would.

In the distance, she spied a vendor, his cart parked near the curb by the planetarium, surrounded by tourist children. "Come, love," she said, taking Jade by the hand. "Let us get you some ice cream." What amazing things this country had brought them. Even the idea of ice cream had never occurred to anyone in her native England, now separated by many leagues, many years. America, land of opportunities... and ice cream. Perhaps, she thought, he had gelato... lemon gelato.

They walked along the palm-lined veranda, reminiscent of the Missions that had founded the state. Eventually, they reached the vendor who gave them spumoni; they gave him a feeling of euphoric release that stayed with him until the next morning.

Walking back, they stopped at the Automotive Museum where Lorelei pointed out several models that she once owned in New Orleans. She remembered the smooth leather seats she used to sink into as she was driven to the shore each spring.

"Would you like a new car, Jade?" she inquired.

A look of confusion flashed across the young woman's face. "A new car?" she asked, timidly.

"Certainly. Perhaps, not one so fine as these but a new car, just the same. It would be fun."

"You would have me leave?" Jade asked, fearfully. "You would have me leave?"

"Oh, no, my sweet darling, not at all. I just want you to be happy, that's all. You know that."

"Yes," Jade thought, "yes, I do."

**********

Mid-Spring, 2012
San Francisco...

Smiling, Jade passed the eleven people in line, moved to the first open counter space and handed her blank test to the clerk who, with a slightly puzzled look, marked 'pass' on it and sent her to get her photo taken. Minutes later, she was handed her new driver's license. Having to update the records had eventually become necessary. Her young visage was still that of an eighteen-year-old, albeit with white hair, and she was now seventy-six years old. Seeing her reflection in the glass, she realized she looked 'goth' and laughed.

She looked at the card, making sure that everything was correct. This time, she had upgraded her age to twenty-six for occasionally she and Lorelei went to restaurant bars, hunting for occasional prey.

With the new license would soon come another new passport. It had been twelve years since they had gone to London and Lorelei promised to show Jade where she had first lived, so many, many years before.

Later that afternoon, they went to look at cars, finally choosing a Dodge Challenger, black. She ran her finger over the shiny dark paint and looked at her reflection on the car. Jade passed over the cashier's check for the full amount to the most helpful salesman who had added every extra possible and they took delivery two days later.

**********

Lorelei, wearing a fur-lined coach's jacket, took another paper towel and wiped down the glass door of the gallery. It was almost opening time and she looked up just as Jade came in, carrying a cardboard tray with two coffee mochas and a bag of croissants. Setting them down on the office's desktop, she picked one coffee up and brought it to her lover while sipping her own.

"I'm sorry I'm late. The traffic..."

A simple touch... without a mention. Lorelei's hands slipped around Jade's waist, her head bent toward her face. The desire in her eyes was almost frighteningly intense. Lorelei's lips were soft, her kiss impossibly gentle at first. Her hands slid around Jade's back and Jade pressed closer to her. Jade felt Lorelei's body tense with desire and knew what her control was costing her.

'Here," Jade said, going back to get a still warm croissant.

The two white-haired women stood at the huge glass window, watching the morning traffic flow by toward the beach. Lorelei went back to wiping the glass in the quiet gallery.

Jade had moved to the paintings, admiring each in turn, examining for any changes in their condition, giving each its daily careful brushing. The air conditioner came on, keeping the temperature at an even seventy-five degrees, and she wrapped her arms around herself, trying to absorb whatever heat there was.

The phone rang.

"Precious Jade Gallery... yes, we do... until eight o'clock... that's right... thank you." Jade hung up the phone. "That was..."

"Yes, I know. Did she say which one?"

"Autumn Leaves."

"I like that one. I'm surprised it took her this long to make her choice."

"It was her husband. He wasn't sure."

Lorelei stood in the dim light of the gallery. "He's a fool. Well, let's call James and have him get the crate ready for shipping."

..........

A little after seven, Jade gave up all pretense of sleep and showered, slowly caressing her body with the loofa. Finally, she turned off the water and stepped out of the shower. After toweling off, she chose a simple but elegant dark green dress from her closet. The fabric shimmered like liquid flowing over the curves of her body and made her feel sensually alive. She brushed her hair, trying to smooth out the curls that always came after washing.

Jade watched her white hair fall and frame her face as she put on her jade necklace.

Outside, the light grey mist crept up the cold stone wall and started dripping onto the already damp ground. Lorelei, ignoring her wet surroundings, walked to the waiting car and got in.

As the car went slowly down the lane, she looked out the passenger window at the two men carrying the sleepy young man from the house near the corner. A slight smile passed her lips. Next time, she thought, he wouldn't be so rude, insisting that Jade dance with him. Next time, she thought, he wouldn't be so drunk he couldn't control his hands. Next time, she thought, he wouldn't go out looking for trouble. When he woke up in Golden Gate Park, he would wonder just what had happened.

..........

Jade put the newspaper down and reached for her morning tea. The police were having another disheartening search for a missing four-year-old boy and after two days, had announced that there were no leads. Resolved to do something, anything, she got up and left the house, driving her Challenger to the neighborhood the boy lived in.

She knocked on the door of the first house from the corner and soon learned enough to start looking. Walking further down the lane, she refined her search with each passing person that she met and eventually came to an abandoned building on the south side of the city. It never ceased to amaze her how much people knew without actually realizing it. Passing an old woman pushing a stolen grocery cart, she found another clue and finally stood on the walk, gazing up to the third floor replete with broken windows and failing fire escapes.

Moving slowly through the broken doors, she found the stairway to the upper floors and soundlessly made her way up to the third floor. She felt the boy's presence emanating loudly in her mind and found him in a small room, locked in with a new padlock which she quickly snapped away from its hasp.

Pulling the door open, she saw the small boy huddled in the corner and as she entered, he looked up at her in fright and then she felt HIS presence. Turning so rapidly that she was a blur to him, her hand grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back, breaking it in two places and then baring her teeth, she bit his neck, causing him to quickly bleed out onto the faded linoleum.

Stepping over the bloody corpse, Jade wiped her mouth on her sleeve and then picked the boy up and put her hand over his eyes, causing him to sleep and forget his ordeal. Carefully carrying him down the stairs, she waited until she was at the sidewalk before she called the police and gave them her location.

"I saw him sleeping up there on the landing and brought him down... then I called you," she said, reaching into the police officer's mind, making him accept the story she was improvising as she spoke. Years with Lorelei had taught her well; after the boy was in the back of the police car, both officers forgot she was there and drove away, taking the child to the hospital and his anxious parents.

For a moment, she thought she should have gotten a ride back to her car but decided the walk would do her good. It had been a while since she had been so near the ocean even though she had lived in San Francisco almost her entire life. A small smile passed her lips. Her entire life... every time she looked in the mirror, she saw a young woman, albeit with white hair, gazing back at her. How long would be her entire life?

Soon, she was deeply breathing in the salty air coming in from the Bay and decided to walk to Fisherman's Wharf, remembering the scene so very long ago when she had first called out to Lorelei and left Chinatown. This time, though, she paid for her shrimp cup, surprised that it had been so, so, so many years since she had been there.

She bought a loaf of hot sourdough bread and eating it a small piece at a time, made the long walk back to her car and drove home. On the car's radio she heard all about the miraculous discovery of the boy by police following an anonymous tip. Holding the boy in her arms, she had felt something stirring that had only once or twice risen to the surface of her subconscious, lingering there for a moment and then disappearing just as quickly. She missed having a child of her own, one to hold for nine months, one to hold for years, in times of happiness and sadness and loneliness. Just as quickly as the feeling had arrived, though, it had disappeared, the feeling passing and gone.

She traveled to Golden Gate Park and drove through, watching the weekend crowd enjoying themselves without a care in the world.

By the time she had returned to the house, Jade had regained her usual taciturn composure. Running her fingers through her hair, she went inside to the kitchen for some lemonade. After pouring a glass, she went out to the back and sat down, staring at the Bridge from the Pacific side, a poignant tear falling down her face. One hand went to her cheek, wondering what had caused that for she never cried, not once, she told herself, never, never cried. 'Why now?' she pleaded with herself, her own mind having taken the incident with the boy and burying it so deeply it would never come back on its own for her own sanity.

She was still there later that evening when Lorelei returned and barely acknowledged her arrival.

12