Vibrations

Story Info
A story about family and lost loves...
80.1k words
4.86
27.3k
127
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LukasGrey
LukasGrey
455 Followers

Author's Note: So... fair warning. This is a story with absolutely no explicit sex! Some may ask, why publish a non-erotic story on an erotic story site? It's a fair question. For me, I set out writing this to see if I had it in me to write a story that didn't need sex in order to work. I liked the end effort and considering I have fans on this site that seem to really like my work, I figured I'd put it up here and see if they took to it the way that I have! Now, I'll step down off of my soapbox, and just simply thank you for your time and the support this community has shown me with the final wish that I hope you enjoy!

Acknowledgement: I want to send out a special thank you to my editor Stattion, who really helped me with this project. I have been working with him now on several different novels and when he asked me to send him some of my other works I sent him this story with the disclaimer that it wasn't done, and that he would hate it. To my surprise he enjoyed it and I have to say he helped me to work out the ending and added to my work to make me make much better choices about how it ended. Without his support and energy I would have probably never finished it!

Chapter 1

For our one month anniversary, Alyssa had bought me this stupid little ceramic bear. He fit in the palm of your hand, nothing big, nothing fancy. He was a cutesy little affectation, not like a real bear, but more like a ceramic version of a teddy bear. He was sitting on his butt, an ice cream cone in his little hand, or paw, whatever you wanted to call it. He had a little dopy smile on his face, little yellow bow tie, tied around his neck. We had been out at a carnival, and she had seen it at this little booth as we walked past and just bought it for me on the spur of the moment.

She handed it to me with a little shy smile on her face, "Happy anniversary." She mumbled as she handed it to me, like she was self-conscious about it, like maybe I'd look at it and say, 'this is stupid', or I'd tell her it wasn't enough...

It was one of those cutesy little moments all couples seem to have. One little innocuous moment that either meant nothing, or everything depending on the couple.

I was a little disappointed to see him sail across the room at my head...

I was even more disappointed to see him shatter into a million pieces as I ducked him. I felt the hundreds of sharp little pieces of him bounce around the room, trying desperately to shred my flesh. I held my arm up over my face, deciding to sacrifice the arm to save my face. It's not much of a face, but it's all I have...

The bitch of it all was it was Alyssa that had thrown him at me...

Guess she hadn't liked that bear as much as I had.

"I know you're fucking around on me!" She screamed.

Sad thing was, I wasn't fucking around on her...

I'm stupid. I'm selfish. I'm really not much of a provider. I don't even like myself all that much...

One thing I am however, is loyal.

My cell phone, nestled into the front pocket of my jeans, started ringing again. The shrill air raid siren that I had made my ring tone belting out into the room. I was really starting to regret that ringtone, though, right now, with a furious, and semi-crazy woman shredding my belongings as she screamed at me like a banshee, an emergency air raid siren might be a little more appropriate than I was willing to admit to myself...

Alyssa was short, maybe five-five to my full six feet. She was a spark plug, however, and she knew how to make the most of what god had given her. What she lacked in intimidation factor, she more than made up for in sheer voluminous energy. At the sound of my phone going off, the third time in as many minutes she got right up in my face.

"Why don't you want to answer your phone? Is it your whore calling?" She sneered into my face.

Part of me wanted to tell her I didn't answer the phone because I didn't want to throw any more gasoline on the fire of her insanity... there were plenty more breakable items in my house and her flinging them around willy-nilly probably wasn't doing me any favors both with the neighbors, and in terms of my security deposit...

Considering she had lost so much control that she was hurling ceramic bears around the room... I decided it was better, and more than likely quite a bit smarter, to keep my mouth shut.

She blew up like this about once every two weeks. One time it would be her insistence I was cheating on her. The next that I was cheating on her because I had watched some porn. The time after that, I wasn't working enough. The time after that, I worked too much.

One time she had blown up like this because there were no steaks in the freezer...

I was beginning to think she might be a little crazy.

Of course, I had to blame myself at least a little, after all, what does that say about me? I'm dating a chick that flips out and throws ceramic bears around the room.

Maybe my mental state wasn't one to be casting aspersions...

She held her arms out wide, "What, are you not man enough to tell me? You can't just admit, you're not heading off to class, or off to work? I know you've got some little bitch on the side. What does she have that I don't? She sucks dick a little better?" Her voice grew taunting, cruel, "Come on, be a man, tell me!"

I considered for a moment the mental picture that flashed through my head, had I had a side piece and how the conversation with Alyssa would go if I told her that girl gave better head...

She pushed me hard in the chest, shoving me back into the wall.

A detached part of my mind screamed to smack her one. To let her know that she could yell, and scream, and accuse me of whatever she wanted to, because I really didn't care about any of that bullshit. She could throw tantrums, and even little ceramic bears at my head, but she needed to keep her hands off of me.

I pushed that part down. Pushed it down way deep.

I wasn't much of a man, but I wasn't a man that had ever laid a hand on a woman in anger, and I wasn't about to start because Alyssa went through a fit of jealous rage.

Course, for that matter, I wasn't much of a man of anger. Most things that pissed other people off, just made me sad for them. I just didn't seem to have that gene that made people go crazy and start throwing things. I had never had that fit where I just needed to break something to make myself feel better. Some people however, seemed to have that gene in spades...

Take Alyssa here...

We had started dating about six months ago. At first, it had been wonderful. We got along great. She had a terrific sense of humor, was fun loving and had a body to die for. She seemed really into me. She had serious commitment issues, but that was okay. She wanted our relationship to run like a sprint. In her mind at six months we should be living together. Inside a year, married. By year two, a kid on the way. Six months had come and gone, and there was no invitation to move in. Part of that was my desire to take things slowly... part of it was a desire to have a moments peace where I didn't have to worry about something getting thrown at my head... hell, if I'm being completely honest, part of it was that I still didn't really know how I felt about Alyssa...

A part of me loved how dedicated she was to mapping her life out. How dedicated she was to making that life materialize for her. Another part of me was absolutely disgusted how upset she got when things didn't work out for her exactly the way she wanted them to. The largest part of me however, was simply tired of having to constantly be on the defensive about her insane insecurity issues...

Problem was, I was not into the whirlwind marriage. I didn't want to just slip a ring on the first girl that I liked, hell, even one that I loved. I wasn't that guy that just threw myself into something. I took my time with things. I wanted to make sure that the girl I married was the one I was going to be with for the rest of my life. It was a big commitment, and not just financially, but in time as well. I had promised myself that I would get married once, and only once. If I couldn't make it work out, that was my one shot at it.

Seemed like the more time passed, the more Alyssa and I weren't going to see eye to eye...

She was screaming something incoherent at me. Truth was, she was suddenly so small and boring. In my mind, I decided this was the last time she was going to scream at me. The last time she was going to throw something at me. The very last time she was going to lay her hands on me.

I felt my eyes darken, my breath shallow, the heavy muscles in my shoulder and neck bunch.

I am not an angry man. In fact, I can only think of a couple of times in my entire life that I was ever truly angry. I am not a violent man. What I am, however, is big, and when roused I think I come across as an angry grizzly bear. It makes me intimidating, and that got me pretty far in the world when it came to making a crazy person calm right the fuck down...

In fact, I had observed, most angry people were like angry dogs. They made a lot of very big sound, but when faced with a threat that seemed like it was going to bite back, they started to have some serious doubts... and they got a whole lot more reasonable very quickly.

Channeling all of that intimidation and energy into my body I growled at her, "Step back."

Her eyes widened, a glint of fear smashing across them as, in her mind, she finally pissed me off enough to get angry with her.

What was really crazy was the manic glee that shoved its way into her eyes...

Fucking crazy bitch is getting off on the fact she finally pissed me off... I thought to myself wildly.

She started to open her mouth and say something new, some other, terrible, terrible thing.

My mind flashed back to the second month Alyssa and I had been together...

We were sitting on the couch and she was talking about her last boyfriend. She went on and on about how often he abused her. How he had smacked her around. All the terrible and nasty things he had said to her. She told me about a particularly brutal fight they had where he had punched her in the face and knocked two of her teeth out. From the sounds of it he was a real winner...

That crazy look in her eye made me wonder...

Was this something she got off on? Was she one of those women that needed to make themselves a victim? One that needed to just keep pushing a man's buttons until he finally lashed out at her? I'm not saying it was right for a man to finally lose his temper, I'm just saying that everyone has a threshold for abuse. Smacking a woman around to get her to shut up was a really stupid and selfish way to address that when it was so easy to just walk out and stop caring...

She was still screaming something. I really wasn't paying attention anymore...

The more I thought about it, that train of thought didn't make sense on Alyssa. Thinking on it, it didn't track, and then I realized, she wasn't the type of woman that enjoyed being abused. Her constant worrying, the accusations, the wild insinuations, hell, even the violence and temper tantrums she displayed pointed towards someone that had been victimized. Someone that decided that they were going to be the aggressor from now on. Someone that had zero true self confidence but who desperately wanted to be seen as a confident person. Someone who perhaps had learned that the best way to avoid being a victim was to victimize...

Everything she was doing right now, this entire display, was a show.

That look in her eyes... it wasn't that she got off on pissing me off. Hell, I had to admit to myself, it was just her feeling victorious for getting some kind of reaction out of me. Me showing some sign of life...

I realized then, Alyssa wasn't a bad person. She just bored the ever-loving shit out of me. She was petty, shrill and about as annoying as you could get. The truth was, I wanted her gone. I wanted her out of my life, and rather than be a man and show her the door I had simply driven her away in the hopes that she would get tired of my shit and leave.

Right now, though, right now, she was just pissing me off...

My phone rang again.

She gave me a smug smile. "Why don't you answer it? I'm sure your little bitch is worried about you." She sneered.

I frowned, shrugged and pulled my phone out.

I saw her eyes fill with rage as I glanced from them to the screen on the phone. Caller ID said it was Casey...

Instantly I filled with worry. Casey was my oldest friend. She lived four hours away in my home town with her little girl, in fact, she lived right behind my parent's place. She helped out babysitting my little sister... she was a family friend, and a personal one.

She would not call four times back to back if it weren't an emergency.

My eyes popped up to Alyssa's. "Hold on a second, this is important."

Her mouth dropped open and I could see her rage boil up...

I hit the answer button and held the phone up to my ear. "Casey, sorry, I was in the middle of something, what's up?"

Casey's voice was filled with panic. Something was definitely wrong...

Of course, I couldn't hear what was causing her panic, because as soon as Alyssa heard a female's voice on the phone she started screaming, "You motherfucker! Why don't you say hi to your cunt for me!"

Alyssa rushed me, and I had to lean back, turning the phone away from her, holding it with one hand as I tried, mostly unsuccessfully to hold a crazed woman on the warpath back, and away from me.

I could feel the frustration in me rising, "Please, Alyssa, chill out for a second..."

That, apparently, was the wrong thing to say to her at that particular moment...

Alyssa is a lefty...

A southpaw.

She reminded me of that with her left fist as it came rocketing in, smashing me in the face.

She was small, but she was a spark plug. She hit me right. Good swing, tilt of the hips, putting her little legs into it just the way I had shown her...

It was a hook, perfectly timed to saw across my face and into my nose.

She's not big, but a well-timed smack to the schnoz is going to get anyone's attention.

It sure got mine when my nose broke.

I'm not too proud to admit my knees went watery for a second. I felt a surge of pride at knowing I was the one that had shown her how to throw that punch. I had worked many a night showing her exactly how to hold her hand, how to swing her hips into the punch, how to use her legs to get the absolute most out of throwing her weight behind it. My hands on her hips, my arms guiding hers... maybe a dirty thought or two sliding through the dark waters of my mind as I moved my body with hers...

Hey, I'm a man, sue me.

Now, however, I felt a rush of disappointment in her at her using that knowledge against me...

Pain lancing through my face, I put the phone back up to my ear as I walked away from Alyssa. "Casey, please hold on a sec."

I walked over to the front door, threw the lock and opened it. Alyssa screamed behind me, "Yeah motherfucker! Run away like a little bitch!"

Shock registered across her face when I turned back from the door. I guess after punching me in the face she thought that I was going to throw her a beating. She probably assumed that her parting shot had put me over the edge, like I was opening the door to leave and she had finally said the wrong thing and now I was going to turn back around and cave her ferret like face in...

Her mouth opened in shock as I grabbed her by the elbow and firmly walked her to the door. She screamed and fought. She called me names. She frothed at the mouth like a rabid beaver...

Turns out, I won't hit a woman...

I will however, firmly put my foot on her ass and sail her right the fuck out my front door...

I guess it's good for us all to know our limits...

Slamming the door behind her, I flipped the lock.

This was my apartment, and as much as I liked Alyssa, I liked my personal space a whole lot more. She did not have a key, so I was not all that worried she'd get back in. She'd probably throw a holy living bitch fit and beat on the door...

Well, I knew she'd throw a bitch fit as she started pounding on the door almost immediately...

She had an amazing repartee of curse words... as evidenced by the door, and her screaming through it.

I held my hand up to my face, just now registering that I was bleeding from the nose profusely. I tried to stem the bleeding, lamenting the fact that I had probably just ruined a perfectly good shirt.

Fuck! I got blood on the carpet! I noted in dismay as I saw the little drops of red on the beige carpet.

Blood dripped from between my fingers, as I held my hand over my nose and raised the phone back up to my ear.

"Casey?" I said, my voice nasally from speaking through my hand.

"What the fuck was that?" She demanded.

I tilted my head back as I walked toward the bathroom. "Sorry about that. My crazy girlfriend just broke my fucking nose. Well, I guess my crazy ex-girlfriend just broke my nose."

"What?!"

I couldn't help but laugh at the panic and anger in her voice. "Not a big deal. I walked her out the door. Sorry about that."

She went dead silent for a few seconds. "That's it? You just walked her out?"

Just about then I made it to the bathroom and surveyed my face in the mirror. As I tilted my head down the blood starting pouring again. "Just a second, my nose is bleeding. I have to put the phone down for a second."

I could dimly hear Casey's voice as I set the phone down on the counter and pulled a few sheets of toilet paper off the roll. Wadding up a couple of sheets for each nostril, I stuck them up there in the hopes I could get the bleeding to stop...

Leaning in close to the mirror I surveyed the damage. There was a new lump on my already ugly nose... she definitely broke my nose...

That was a damn fine left hook... I allowed myself. Nothing wrong with being proud of work done well...

I picked the phone back up. "I'm back. Sorry. What's wrong?"

She was silent so long I was worried she might have hung up on me. When her voice came back on the line I could tell she was on the verge of crying...

"Your mom is in the hospital."

I felt a little of the air rush out of the world...

"What?" I asked in desperation. My mind jumped around, wondering why Casey was calling me instead of my dad, or my little sister. "What happened?"

Her voice was rushed, filled with pain, "I don't know. Your dad and sister came home and I guess they found her on the kitchen floor. Your dad rushed her to the hospital and he sent Adrianna here... I only talked with your dad really quick on the phone. He asked me to watch Audrey. He's freaking out."

I was freaking out a little bit myself...

"How bad is it? Do you know?" My voice was quick, desperate...

I could hear her stifle back a sob, "I don't know Jakey... I'm sorry, I don't know. Audrey said she was limp on the floor when they found her."

I looked at my watch. It was four in the afternoon. It was a four-hour drive. Most of it through back country where cell reception was going to be spotty at best...

"I'm on the road in five minutes. I'll be there by eight. If you talk to my dad, let him know I'm on the way."

"Hurry Jake. Please." Her voice was raw, full of desperation, she was looking for a little hope, and I was in a terrible place to provide it for her.

My heart bled for her...

She was stuck there, taking care of her three-year-old daughter and my fourteen-year-old sister. Her friend heading to the hospital. She was probably going out of her mind worrying and there she was stuck needing to be tough and not fall apart in the face of two children that needed to depend on her... and here I was on the other side of the state, a four-hour drive away...

LukasGrey
LukasGrey
455 Followers