Visions Unveiled Ch. 03

Story Info
Crossing paths.
5k words
4.69
13.7k
16

Part 4 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

3.

Crossing paths.

Justin was beyond angry. Not only had he failed in convincing Shane to step down as Alpha, he also managed to get himself exiled from the pack. To add salt to that wound, his shoulder was still in pain from when Shane threw him into the wall. The injury was already healing for the most part, but the soreness remained. He hadn't bothered returning to his home to collect any belongings. He knew that the instant he was cast out by the Alpha, every Beta would have known, and if he showed up on pack lands, he'd only have ended up more damaged than he already was. So instead he began walking, hoping to gather his thoughts, and figure out how to ease himself back into Shane's good graces. He figured the Alpha couldn't stay angry forever.

He had spent the rest of the day and night walking, wondering what his next move should be. So far, he hadn't come up with any solutions to his predicament and that had turned his weariness into a quickly escalating anger. Justin had managed to cross through several towns since the day before, and now as dawn approached he found himself in the downtown area of what seemed a very small, quaint village. Only one or two windows of the shops nearby had lights in the windows. His rage was building inside of him. He had been humiliated by his cousin, tossed around like not so much as a rag doll, and then kicked out on his own.

The need to hurt something was boiling over inside of him, and just when he was contemplating breaking into the nearest home to attack whoever he could find, fate presented him with an alternative. He sensed the female approaching from just a few hundred feet away. All he could tell was that she was bundled up against the cold, and seemed to be heading towards the town's bake shop. He slipped into the shadows of an alley and held his breath, not making a sound. Then when the girl crossed his path, he shot out his hand, grabbed her arm and flung her body into the wall beside him.

* * *

An hour later, the house was still silent, and Shane found himself alone in the sunroom at the back of his home. He stood barefoot, wearing only jeans and a shirt he hastily tossed on after sending Erin back to bed for the second day in a row. He sighed heavily as he peered out the window. While he stared into the yard his thoughts were tumbling around in his mind. His musings were mainly centered on the pain of losing his mate, though his mind also kept circling back to the day before and the confrontation he had with his cousin. It had consumed his thoughts during the board of directors meeting he attended, and despite Marie's sensible words to him, he still felt doubts regarding the future of his pack. Now he was home, and while he needed to deal with what had been revealed, another matter was more pressing. Despite all his worries over those who might betray him, Shane had only one thing on his mind: running. He was just starting to unbutton his shirt when he sensed Erin walk up behind him.

"Please don't run." Her words were pleading and while her sympathy was palpable, Shane would not budge.

"You should be asleep, you need your rest," Shane said, choosing to not answer her request.

He heard her sigh wearily, "I couldn't sleep. I tried. Please, Shane. Don't run. Not alone, not today."

"Sister, I must, you know that." Shane said, even as he continued with removing his shirt.

Tears were yet again rimming his sister's eyes. "Every year, you've done this. Every single year and what good has it done? Year after year, you're more distant than the last. Are we losing you?"

Shane took a deep breath and let it out slowly before he finally turned from the window to look her in the eyes. "I am sorry you are hurting. But the further away I am right now, the less you will feel of it. You know this to be true."

Erin reached out a hand to touch his arm, "But you said yourself, there will be a horrible storm."

Shane shrugged as he finished removing his shirt, "I will only be gone a day or two at the most. Or is it you think your brother can't survive in the forest with a little bit of rain?"

Every year, on the anniversary of the night in which Ilsa tragically delivered his mate, Shane took to the forest, giving himself over to his wolf for the duration. He was stronger that way, and it was how he coped. He would spend the next few days alone, running as far and fast as he could. He'd done so the very next February after that fateful night, in the hopes that being in wolf form would help him to forget. It never did, but that didn't stop him from hoping some day it might lessen the pain. He figured that maybe another 33 years might be helpful in that regard.

Erin's jaw dropped. "This will not be just rain and you know it!"

Shane smiled in a cocky, confident way that made her want to punch him. "Of course I know that. I believe I was the one who clued you in on the upcoming weather headlines, if I remember correctly." He sighed when he saw she was not amused. "Fine, it will be cold, and wet. But this is me, Erin. I will be home, please don't worry. Until I return, I trust you and Logan will keep things in order."

As if the sound of his name could cause him to materialize, Logan stepped into the room and immediately gathered his mate in his arms. Tall and heavily muscled, there was no doubt among any who saw him, that Logan was one of the most powerful warriors the pack had ever known. Still, his touch was tender as he soothed his visibly shaken mate. He placed a kiss on the top of Erin's head before looking straight into Shane's eyes, "The family will be watched over, friend. I wish you a safe, peaceful run."

Shane nodded, never for once doubting that in his absence, Logan would lie down his life to protect not only his sister, but any other pack member in need. Content that Erin would find comfort in Logan, and that the pack was in good hands, Shane finished undressing and with one last nod to Logan he stepped out the back door and began to cross the yard. Erin raised her wet eyes just in time to see her brother shift into a large brown and black wolf. She watched as he shook out his shiny coat before he locked eyes with her through the window. He called out a deep bark which she knew was full of love for her. He then turned and before she could blink, he vanished into the stricken trees.

* * *

As soon as she was grabbed, Faline realized her error. She held her breath as she felt herself being pulled deeper into the alleyway, knowing this was the event she had been dreading since the evening before. Pain flashed behind her eyes. Her attacker threw her into brick wall and easily held her there by pressing her back into the cold, hard building. The dim light of dawn did not allow for her to see the man who held her, but she could tell that while he wasn't an overly large man, he was strong, and angry. Finally she allowed herself to take a deep breath and braced herself for the perfect moment to defend herself.

* * *

Once he took to the trees, Shane's first order of business was to run the perimeter of his territory. He ran the edge of his border making sure everything was secure, and nothing seemed amiss. When he was done, he did it again. After that, he decided to hunt. He needed a meal, and if he waited much longer he was afraid he'd go hungry for the day. As the storm approached, smaller animals would borrow themselves away, making them more difficult to catch, and Shane also needed his strength to survive the storm. Had he been hunting for his pack, he would have taken down the largest deer he could find. In this case however, he was only feeding himself and so he easily caught a rabbit and ate it quickly.

After Shane finished he headed towards the far end of the forest, to the cottage that was once owned by Gregor and Ilsa. Because the home was considered abandoned and it resided on Shane's property, he was easily able secure the legal papers to transfer it into his name. When he arrived at the cottage, he quickly circled the small home checking that there were no damages. Once he was satisfied with the condition of the outer walls he shifted into his human form and ascended the steps of the small front porch. Hanging next to the front door was a lantern-style lighting fixture. Shane opened the small glass door of the lantern and reached in, pulling out a single key which he used to unlock the door. Shane stepped inside and closed the door behind him. He stood still for a few moments, silently paying his respects to the couple who were no longer there. He then set about checking the inside of the cottage, just as he had the outside.

The building was in perfect condition, having been maintained personally by Shane for the last three decades. Every few months he would make his way to the cottage and assess the state of the home, fixing whatever needed repairing. He checked the property both before and after serious weather. Over the years he had mended shutters, replaced flooring and had completely redone the roof, all with his own hands. He cleaned windows and floors, washed and re-hanged curtains, tended to the flowers Ilsa had once planted and kept dry firewood on hand. Shane also kept the pantry stocked with canned items and other nonperishable goods. Every few months he would take an inventory, and he would deliver items to a homeless shelter before they expired.

If any of his pack suspected he did all of this, they never mentioned it to him. It wouldn't have mattered, as he managed his land the way he saw fit. Still, even he thought at times this behavior was insane. He couldn't justify these actions, he only knew that looking after the cottage was in some small way the only connection he would ever have with his mate.

Shane was fairly certain he wouldn't find anything in need of tending at the cottage, having visited just the week before. Still, he couldn't resist a brief glance around to put his mind at ease. Once he was content that the cottage was in order he stepped back onto the porch and locked the door before carefully returning the key to the lantern. Because he visited the cottage several times a year, he was able to get through this part of the day without his emotions overcoming him. Still, he was more than ready to let the human side of himself go once again, so he wasted no time in shifting back into his wolf, and with one final check of the area, he bolted into the forest once more.

* * *

The beast inside of Justin wanted to kill. It wanted to draw blood, tear flesh and hear the female in his grip scream for her life. Aside from taking a deep, shaky breath, she hadn't screamed or made any other sounds. That seemed odd to him, as he'd attacked innocents before, and normally, they were more than eager to scream their damn heads off. He had no fear of being caught at this crime. A witness would only be another life for him to happily end.

This female though, not only was she quiet as a mouse, she didn't even fight back. He'd pinned her to the wall and she didn't even struggle with him. Was she daft? Did she have a death wish? Maybe, walking around in the still dark streets, that could be the case. Why didn't she fight back, he wondered? At least she had the decency to be afraid he thought as he scented her fear on the air. The scent excited him and he wrapped a hand around her throat as he leaned in closer to her to inhale once more.

Suddenly, he froze. Something about her scent was ... off. A wave of familiarity hit him suddenly as he took in her delicate scent. There was something nostalgic about this female, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. She was obviously afraid, but she was also calm. And her scent, it was driving him mad. He wanted to tear her throat out, make her awash in blood. But then again, he was suddenly overcome with the need to protect her, as if she were one of his pack. It was a staggering impulse! Imagine, wanting to shield a mere human female. No, surely not. He wanted to kill her, he was certain of it. She sent his senses into a spin, and he was losing control quickly. Whatever it was about her scent was driving him insane, and as she finally began to tremble in his grasp, he loosed the monster inside. He felt his ears lengthen into points and his face change into a muzzle, followed by the sprouting of coarse hair along his body as he shifted into his hybrid form. The female let out a whine as he squeezed her neck and where moments before he was at war with himself over whether to kill or treasure her, he'd finally decided what he most certainly wanted was her death.

Justin's mouth began to water as he imagined how the female's blood would taste as he ripped into her throat. He opened his jaws and leaned into her, preparing to make the deadly bite when he realized she was now muttering words. He figured she might be praying, until he realized whatever she was saying, it was not in English. She seemed to be repeating the same words over and over again.

With her eyes squeezed shut, the girl was chanting to herself "Leyna, vernda ... leyna, vernda." She kept repeating it over and over. Then, Justin felt his patience snap, he growled and lunged forward to tear at her flesh. At that moment he felt the strangest sensation in the air around them, it made the skin prick on the back of his neck. Then suddenly, without explanation, the girl vanished into thin air.

* * *

As the day wore on Shane found himself at peace with his wolf. Dusk would soon be approaching. Despite the raging emotions his human half felt, the wolf was better tempered for enduring the memories of this day. Shane knew better than to think he could escape it fully anymore, or that he'd ever truly forget. But when he gave himself over to the wolf the pain was easier to endure. He was content to let the wolf rule for the days he spent each February in the forest. With the wolf in command, the human emotions were able to take a rest. A rest Shane sorely needed.

The wolf was taking a leisurely run through the trees when it came across a worn trail that caught the attention of the man inside. He turned north and followed the trail with purpose, letting memory guide him until he came to the spot he recognized. Pain swelled in even the wolf's chest as it recalled the moment he came across a body in this very spot. Instantly, the memory surged to the front of Shane's mind. In the days following the death of both Ilsa and her daughter, Shane, tortured with grief spent nearly three weeks alone in the forest, running blind. On about the 10th day he had been traveling through the still snow covered hills when he came across this trail. He wandered along for several hundred feet recognizing this path was one that lead out of the forest. The scent of cold death hit his nostrils mere moments before his paws came in contact with a body that was partially covered by drifting snow. The wolf was briefly alarmed and looked about for a source of danger before deciding that whatever happened to his human had been natural. When he scented deeper he realized it was the scent of a person he recognized, and he pawed the snow away until he realized the body he'd uncovered was Gregor's.

The shock reeled him so, that he lost control of the wolf completely and found himself shifting back to his human form as he leaned over Gregor's frozen body. Despite the cold, Shane's body temperature ran higher than a human's, and he barely noticed the discomfort of the snow against his naked skin as he gently turned Gregor. Shane had looked around, wondering why Gregor would have been so far along the trail. Shane figured that Gregor had been on his way to his house, maybe to collect his and Ilsa's belongings that had been left that night. Gregor must have become disoriented for direction with the landscape covered in white and Shane figured the human had frozen to death, lost in the woods. Shane thought it odd for Gregor to get lost when he'd been to Shane's home many, many times. Shane shook his head as he debated returning to contact the authorities, but he was concerned that being involved with the deaths of three people within days would call suspicious attention from the humans to his pack which he didn't want. He racked his brain to recall of any family he should contact to see to Gregor's remains, and could only recall the countless times Gregor told him that he and Ilsa had been on their own for many years.

Tears wet Shane's eyes, almost freezing in the harsh February air as the reality that his mate's father was now also dead. This new grief consumed him once more, and he gasped for air as the wolf took over yet again, to take this burden away from his suffering human half. With the wolf in charge, there were no debates over the human police or his mate's distant relatives. The wolf saw to reason, that a dead body could not be left to attract scavengers, and even the wolf did not wish that fate for his mate's father. So the wolf gently took hold of Gregor's shirt with is his teeth and dragged him off of the trail and under the branches of a large, currently leafless oak. It took the wolf hours to finally dig deep enough into the frozen earth a grave large enough and deep enough for Gregor's tall, broad frame. When he was satisfied the trench was deep enough, the wolf dragged the body to the grave as gently as it could and then set about covering him with the soil. He did so with efficient reverence, and when he finished, it was long since dark. The wolf looked to the sky and he let out a pained howl, long and loud enough to alert his pack that while he was alive and still nearby, his heart was all the more broken. And so none of the pack were surprised when he did not return to them for well over a week later.

But that was all memory, the wolf decided, standing on the trail. Thirty-three years back, and he still remembered it like it happened just hours before. He shook out his coat and looked to the sky where he noticed the first of the thick, grey clouds quickly approaching. The storm was arriving, which meant it was time to find shelter until it passed.

* * *

Justin had never been so stunned in all of his long life. He blinked his eyes several times, trying to discern if his mind was simply playing tricks on him. But no, the space before him was empty. The girl had simply ... vanished. He spun around, searching for her, as this information flooded his brain. People didn't just disappear. Not humans anyway. Witches or fairies, perhaps, but certainly not small, human females. There was just no way. Relying on his senses he closed his eyes and scented deeply until he caught her unique scent. His eyes flashed open as he looked down the long alley towards the back of the buildings, he realized that she wasn't gone, she was simply invisible. How was it possible, he wondered? He'd heard long-ago tales of certain ... creatures of his kind who might be capable of such a thing, but even to a Were today, such tales were thought of as myths. He was now on the hunt, as he caught a flash of movement at the back of the alley. She was on the move, running. He caught a glimpse of her coat as she ran, and realized whatever powers she had to make herself disappear, they wouldn't last. So he took off at full speed chasing behind her.

As Justin emerged from the alley he noticed that while day had broken the sky was bleak. Still it afforded him a clear view as he noticed the backs of the shops opened up to the forest, which was where the girl had decided to flee. He grinned, thinking it would be an easy hunt, as surely he would have the upper hand on this terrain. He trailed her by scent alone as she was mostly still invisible to his eyes. Every now and again he would catch a flash of a hand, or her dark hair as she slowly became visible again. He found himself shocked at how incredibly fast she was. He was chasing after her at top speed and still she was out of reach, and to make matters worse, the sky opened up and rain began to fall.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers
12