Visions Unveiled Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After watching his mate push her food around her plate for several minutes, Logan finally dropped his fork. "Is there something you want to talk about?" he asked her.

Erin shook her head distractedly for a moment and then sighed. "I'm just on edge, I'm sorry."

Logan narrowed his eyes at her, he knew her too well. "Are you certain it's you who feels that way? Or is it someone else?"

She glared at him, none too happy with his tone. "I am 287 years old. I think I can tell when a feeling is mine by now."

Logan held up his hand, "I'm sorry, but you have to admit, sometimes your emotions become clouded. What has you on edge?"

She shrugged at him, and when she didn't answer he asked, "Is it Shane?"

Erin shook her head as she picked up her fork to begin moving her food about once again. "No. Actually, this morning he is ... focused, very determined. His mind has probably cleared from his run. He is likely thinking about returning home and to work soon."

This news was a relief to Logan. Though he still maintained that if Shane didn't return today, he would attempt to drag him out of the forest himself if he had to. Still, there was the matter of his mate's distress. He reached across the table and took her hand, waiting until she raised her eyes to his. "You'll feel better when your brother is home," he told her.

Erin gave him a distracted nod yet again. She knew that ought to be true, but for some reason, someone's emotions were interfering with hers, and they were most definitely not at ease.

* * *

Shane washed and rinsed the dishes while his mate dressed in her clothes which he had cleaned and dried for her. Now that she was awake, she insisted on leaving. He worried over her health, but he also knew they couldn't stay here forever. Perhaps it was best to get going now, while there was still plenty of light in the day. He knew her motives were fueled mostly by her distrust of him, and that she wanted to get back to her own life as soon as possible. Shane admired her determination. All he knew was he wanted her illness to be gone. Then he would tackle the myriad of other problems he had to contend with.

When he was finished with the dishes, he stepped into the living room where he saw his mate was now dressed and folding the blanket which had covered her while she slept. She looked over at him, "We are still going right?" she asked, and he could tell she was afraid he'd changed his mind.

"Yes," he answered, knowing it was she wanted to hear. He pulled on socks and boots he was borrowing from Gregor, as well as a warm coat. He watched as she too pulled on her outerwear, and he frowned when the buttoning of her coat was interrupted by yet another coughing spell. Once she was bundled up she picked up her satchel and pulled it over her body crosswise.

"What is your name?," he said on impulse, wondering why he hadn't thought to ask her it before now.

She blinked at him for a moment in which he could tell she was debating whether she should or should not tell him. Upon making her decision she shrugged slightly and said, "Faline."

"Faline," he repeated slowly, as if testing the sound and feel of the word. "Faline," he said again, "It's-"

"Unusual?" she interrupted.

"I was going to say lovely," he countered, "Are you named for someone?"

Her eyebrows drew together slightly and then she shook her head. "I've often wondered that myself. But I honestly am not sure. I hope to find out someday. Until then, I am the only Faline Olivia Grey that I know of."

Shane silently mulled over her name as he watched her lean down to adjust the lacing of her boots. She didn't press the conversation further, as she now seemed all the more anxious to leave. He still had a small doubt this was the best course of action, but he felt the sooner they started this journey, the sooner it would be over. He opened the front door and held it for his mate to walk through, and then stepped out onto the porch beside her. He locked the door and placed the key back into the lantern. When he turned around he saw that she was already making her way down the very slippery porch steps. He resisted the urge to assist her as she gingerly took each step. Once was on solid land, he breathed a sigh of relief, and made his way down as well. He frowned as he saw his breath puff out before him, not pleased with how cold the temperature still was. Though this time she was bundled up and dry, he knew this weather was not good for his mate. He caught her looking around anxiously and knew she was in fear of some sort of attack. Hoping to dispel fears, he started towards the trees. "Here," he said taking the lead, "The path is this way."

* * *

So far, so good, Faline was thinking to herself as she obediently followed along the path. She just had to convince this werewolf that she was going along with his plan to get her to a hospital for now. She was waiting for the perfect moment to break away from him. It had to be just right, a moment where she had enough time to say the incantation that would make her disappear to his eyes. She just had to wait for him to be distracted first. It didn't help matters that he was vigilant about seeing to her safety. If a branch extended itself too far into the path, he would hold it back until she passed. He was constantly guiding her away from slick patches of ice, or insisting she take her time when it came to navigating around ditches and descending land.

All in all, it was annoying. She couldn't figure out for the life of her why he even cared if she ended up with a scratch or a bruise from this hike. For as much as she could tell, his offerings of protection were just a ruse. She believed it was his way to get her to go along with him, until he got her where he wanted her.

She couldn't allow that to happen. She had to get free of him somehow. She just wished she wasn't so sick. All of her life, Faline had been plagued with weak lungs. It hardly took any exposure to damp cold or germs and she would come down with pneumonia or bronchitis every time. It was a miracle she didn't have asthma on top of that, but luckily she dodged that bullet. The run-in with the smaller werewolf who had attacked her the morning prior did its damage. She was exhausted from the run, and the cold weather and the rain took their toll on her health. She worried that she might not be well enough to keep herself vanished for as long as she would need to escape this Alpha, but she had to try.

She knew she had to make her move soon. She feared the longer she waited, the closer they would be to wherever he was leading her. Which meant she would find herself surrounded by what would probably be many more wolves. She knew if he managed to get her to his lair, so to speak, then she was as good as dead.

For as far back as her memories went, werewolves tried to kill her. Why then, did she suddenly feel doubts about fleeing from this one? She was annoyed with herself. Try as she might, she kept recalling the concern in his dark eyes each time he looked at her. Though their earlier conversation was quite brief, she had to admit he seemed sincere when he expressed his concern for her. She thought of the way her clothes had been cleaned and folded precisely with care. The space he'd given her so far, and the way he seemed to understand what she needed, whether it was a sip of water from the bottle he'd brought along, or to walk slower at times, without her ever uttering a word.

It was all unnerving. Could she possibly trust him? What reason would he have for keeping her safe anyway? Possibly his actions were designed to preserve her for whoever would be taking her life, if it wasn't to be him. And where was her headache? She relied on the telltale migraine to alert her when an attack was imminent. And so far today, there was none. Maybe she was just too sick? It was making her delirious. She shook off her doubts and focused on escaping once again.

* * *

Logan spent the morning seeing to pack matters. Besides himself there were four other Betas in the Kellen pack. There was his twin Kevin and the other three were named James, Brendan, and Sam. Each had their own unique strengths which added to the success of the pack. Logan directed them to check in with each household on the complex, to account that everyone had weathered the storm without incident. They were instructed to check the buildings for damage, and assist any family in need of anything. He arranged for walkways of common areas and steps to be treated with salt. Even though they were werewolves who were immune to a great many sicknesses, and healed quickly, many of the pack were considered elders, and Logan didn't need to tempt the fate of anyone falling when it could be so easily prevented.

Lastly, he instructed them to send scouts into the forest, searching for traces of Justin. He knew Shane had banished him, but Justin was never the kind to heed an order. Logan knew that once Shane returned he would likely call for Justin to be brought in anyway, so it made sense to at least check the property for signs of him.

When he was through meeting with the Betas, Logan returned to the office on the first floor of the Alpha residence. He walked in just as Erin was finalizing a conversation which she ended by slamming down the phone. He frowned as he watched her cover her face with her hands and release a sound of frustration. "Erin?" he asked, knowing he didn't need to say more.

She dropped her hands and gave him a look. "It's not Aunt Tabitha. At first I thought it was her because that would make the most sense. Then I tried Rebecca and Katie. It's not them. I even called Marie in the city. I just hung up with her. She's also fine."

Logan tried to keep up with his mate's ramblings, but finally gave up. "I don't understand. You are upset because there isn't anything wrong with most of the people you care about?"

She thumped her palm on the desk, "It's someone! I just don't know who!"

Logan sighed, remembering her mood this morning at breakfast. Earlier in the day the emotions she was picking up had been a cause for distraction, but by now they were fully agitating her. He went over to her and leaned on the desk before taking her hand. He couldn't remember the last time he saw her in such a state. "Don't worry. We'll figure it out. Tell me what you are feeling. What you know."

Erin leaned into his touch, glad for his support. "It's a female."

Logan nodded, "Ok. So she must be close to you, for you to be so flustered."

She shrugged, "Yes and no. It seems that way because her feelings are so amplified in my head. But I don't know who she is."

"And what is she feeling?" Logan asked.

Erin thought for a moment before answering. "Confused. Apprehensive. Anxious. And strangely enough, secure." She ran a hand through her auburn hair, "Oh I wish she would just figure it out already!"

Logan frowned, he hated when his mate's empathic abilities caused her distress. "Maybe you should go lie down. You haven't been sleeping well this last week."

Erin shook her head, "It's no use. I won't feel better until she does ... whoever she is."

* * *

Shane used his foot to nudge a large rock off of the path before addressing his mate over his shoulder, "It's not much further. There is maybe a quarter of a mile more." He got nervous when he saw her eyes skitter around. "Would you like to stop and rest for a few minutes?" he asked.

Shane was not thrilled with how long the trip had taken so far. He had no doubt that if she was healthy and the conditions were better, his mate would have easily kept up with his stride. She had done well for the most part, despite a number of coughing fits which caused him more alarm than they did her. She seemed accepting of her sickness, as if it was something she was used to dealing with. Several times they needed to stop when she was overcome with a bout of coughing, but she seemed to know how to regulate her breathing, and was resolved to keep up with him.

It took everything in him to not simply reach out and pick her up, carrying her the rest of the way. It's what he would have done with a sick or injured member of his pack. He knew it would have decreased their travel time immensely and his wolf was upset with him for not making that a priority. But he was forcing himself to be cautious of her personal space. She seemed more comfortable with a distance between them. Except for the brief moment he held her hand before she awakened, he had not touched her again. Part of him was concerned that if he did so now, knowing fully who she was, he would never let her go.

They had traveled thus far mostly in silence, so he wasn't too concerned when she didn't answer him. However when he turned back again he noticed that she had stopped several yards behind him. Her hands were clenched into fists and she appeared to be speaking to herself.

"Faline?" he asked as he began to walk back towards her. She quickly thrust her hands out towards him and his ears picked up her voice, speaking again in similar words she'd used earlier.

"Leyna, Hverfa. Fel. Leyna, vernda.

"Faline, what are you saying? And what language is that?" he asked, more than a little frustrated. Much about his mate perplexed him, but the way she seemed to chant in tongues when she appeared in distress was at the very top of the list.

He had covered half the distance between them when she brought her hands closer to her and shook them in disbelief. Clearly unhappy with whatever she was seeing -- or was not seeing as the case may be -- she turned abruptly and bolted away from him darting off of the path.

"Luna, no," Shane prayed as he watched her flee from him. He took off after her, and in no time he spotted her where she was making her way down an embankment. He watched in horror as she slipped on the icy slope and landed in a patch of thick, wooded briars. Within moments she was on her feet and running again. He quickly followed her down the slope and his senses screamed in protest at the scent of her spilled blood. His wolf was howling angrily inside of his head, mauling to be set free to quickly retrieve their mate. Shane fought the wolf back with every ounce of control he possessed. He knew the sight of his wolf would only traumatize her more. It took just a minute or so, but finally he caught up to her and reached out, seizing her by the arm.

"No!" she screamed and she tried to pull her arm free of his grip. He exerted enough pressure to keep her in his grasp without causing her pain.

"Faline, please, stop this," he was practically begging her. The sight of her terror was wrong in every way. He spun her around to face him and she still fought with everything she had. The fight in her was impressive, he had to admit, but in the end she was no match for his strength. He released her arm to wrap both of his hands around her upper arms. "Why are you running? I have sworn you will come to no harm."

She continued to struggle and he noticed that her hands were bloodied by the thorns. She also had a scratch below her right eye, which extended back towards her ear. He was beyond angry at himself, how could he have let his happen? She was muttering the strange words yet again, repeating them quickly, over and over. Shane searched her eyes and saw nothing except for the sheer terror she was feeling as she looked frantically around, as if she expected an attack from any sudden angle. "What has happened to you? What horrible things have you faced? And fear again now?"

She shook her head at him and tried yet again to push him away from her. "Why wont it work on you?" she asked desperately, and Shane sensed she was speaking to herself more than to him.

"Why doesn't what work? Please talk to me," he desperately needed to know what she meant. He was quickly learning that he couldn't protect her without understanding her, and he had a lifetime of understanding to make up for.

Shane was surprised when she actually answered him. "I should be able to get by you, the spell should help me get away. Whenever I am in danger it always works. Why doesn't it work with you?" the despair of her words trailed off into a sob. Shane fought to control his anger at learning she had lived a life filled with such terrors, it warranted the necessity of a spell to escape her attackers.

Unable to stop himself, Shane gathered her trembling body close to his in a tight embrace. "Rest your fears, m'chroi. Let it go. Your shields will not work on me because you are in no danger. I will protect you. That burden is no longer yours."

He hoped his words were soothing, and that she would finally believe him. Inevitably her trembling tears gave way to a rasping cough. This time, she seemed unable to control it. He released her enough to allow her the air she needed but when he noticed her reddened face darken to purple he felt fear grip his heart. He placed his palms along her face and his eyes widened immediately. "You're burning up," he blurted, as her fevered skin practically seared his hands which had been chilled by the winter air.

Thankfully, there was a break in her cough which gave her enough time to inhale a deep breath. When she did he acted without thought. He pulled her to him again and gently ran his fingertips along her forehead, whispering a brief spell of his own. Instantly, she fell into a deep sleep, and as her body relaxed he caught her in his arms. Effortlessly, he carried her back to the path and rushed to exit the forest as fast as he possibly could.

* * *

By now, Erin was curled up on the sofa, with her head buried in a pillow. She kept moaning as if in pain, and though Logan calmly rubbed her back, he felt ready to tear down the walls. Because they were fully mated, they shared a bond which joined their souls. Emotions good and bad could be transferred though this connection. Though Logan was in no way empathic as she was, her discomfort echoed inside of him as well.

Suddenly, Erin straightened and clutched the pillow to her chest. Tears flowed freely down her face as she suffered the most intense, inexplicable fear imaginable. Thankfully, the fear reached it's height after just a few moments. Then, as quickly as the crippling fear overcame her, it ebbed to heart-wrenching anguish. Next, as if a switch had been flipped, the torrent of emotions swirling through her went silent.

Logan breathed a sigh of relief as he felt the hurricane die down though their bond. He brushed her hair back from her face and kissed her forehead lovingly. "It's over?"

Erin smiled in relief, "Yes. And quite suddenly at that."

Logan had only just taken her into his arms when she abruptly spun away from him and faced the window. He watched worriedly as she brought her hand to her temple.

"Oh no, this is not good," she said distractedly.

It was beginning to feel like a roller coaster, Logan was thinking. "Her feelings are back again?" he asked.

Erin shook her head in awe of the next wave of emotions to slam through her. They hit her all at once: concern, rage, compassion, determination and urgency. "No," she said again refusing to take her eyes off of the tree line, "This would be Shane. The Alpha has returned."

12