Wandering Bk. 04: Beth

Story Info
An encounter in the Rockies with a beautiful artist.
11.2k words
4.74
14.5k
10

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/13/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

Book 4 - Beth

I sat in my car in the parking lot of the convenience store for quite a while. I had long since finished the wretched coffee that they offered, and I was lost in my thoughts. A wise man once said "never look a gift horse in the mouth," but that's exactly what I was doing. I had left my old surroundings less than a week ago, and it was as if I had stepped through some portal into a parallel universe.

I was living in a fantasy land of willing women and unlimited sex. I kept wondering when this was all going to come to a crashing halt and I would be returned to my mundane existence. The magic that had enhanced my short, new life seemed to continue without any assistance from me. I began to think perhaps I didn't really didn't need to do anything but hang on for the "ride."

When little kids misbehave, parents often give them what they refer to as a "time-out," a little private time alone to think about their behavior. I was pretty sure I needed a time-out. I certainly needed to think about my behavior. I also needed to try and figure out just who Leighton Philip Stephenson had become. I was certainly not the man who married Jocelyn Campbell ten years earlier. I may have been the guy who had the responsible and generally interesting job as an insurance investigator. I wasn't a virgin when I married Jocelyn, but I certainly didn't have the skills and know-how that I had picked up in the past six days.

When our marriage petered out and was put to a merciful end, I made the biggest decision of my life. I quit my job, cashed in my chips, took a sabbatical from my old life, and went looking for a new one. In my back pocket I had a job offer from Orca Investigations that would be at least as interesting as my old job and probably more so. My friend, Pete Dennison, had been pestering me to join them, but because he understood my need to escape for a while, his boss was holding the offer open indefinitely. You can't lose when you have friends like Pete.

But back to my problem. Now I realize not every guy would think of the last six days of my life as a problem. In fact, they would probably think I was paranoid, or at least mildly psychotic for complaining about what had occurred. But the truth is, my life during this past six days bore no resemblance to my life for the previous thirty-four years.

I had lived a pretty ordinary, low-key existence and I behaved as any normal working husband would. I got up, shit, shaved, showered, had breakfast, brushed my teeth, drove to work, came home had dinner, watched some TV or read a book and went to bed. Once or twice a week I would make love to my wife, and other than the weekends, that was pretty much my every day life.

When I broke that bond with my routine, everything changed. Maybe it hadn't all happened this week, but the really weird stuff had. My encounters with Constance, Glynnis, Sophia, and Anna were sequential and almost, it seemed, inevitable. It was as if they had been preordained. Now, I know it sounds goofy, but that's how it appeared to me.

So to save my sanity and try to find an answer to this conundrum, I was going to abstain from interaction with females for at least a few days. I hadn't decided on how many, but I thought it would be more than two. I also decided I would start to keep a diary of my travels and adventures. It would be a way of recounting this strange voyage, while giving me something to keep me occupied at the same time. Decision made, I headed for my next destination point, Fairmont Hot Springs.

The Mountain Meadows B & B was an Alpine style home with three guest suites in the loft, each with an ensuite. When I phoned that morning, there was one room available and I immediately booked it. I was a bit surprised at how busy they were, but I remembered that the area was known for corporate retreats. Nestled right in the heart of the Rockies, the skiing would last considerably longer than near the coast.

I arrived in mid-afternoon and checked in with the hostess, Sandra Melling. As usual, this was a family business, and while they preferred I didn't check in until four o'clock, I was given a break since the room was ready and they were almost finished with their chores. I dropped my bag and laptop in my room, surveyed the facilities, grabbed my digital camera, and left to explore the area.

It was a fairly cloudy day and the mountains were somewhat obscured with a low overcast, but it was easy to see the attraction of the area. The Rockies are majestic at any time, and the magnitude of the rock faces and upheavals from so many millions of years ago is always spectacular. I felt pretty insignificant in these surroundings.

I drove around the little town and found a couple of likely restaurants. I had booked my room for three nights in anticipation of my hiatus from hedonism. The town was pretty small, and I hoped I could find enough things to fill my time. Just before five, I headed back to the B & B to start my diary and record some thoughts. It didn't take long to get going, and when I next looked up at the clock on the wall it was almost seven. I took a break and headed off toward town. I ate by myself, pen and notebook by my side to record any thoughts or remembrances of these past few weeks, and more importantly, the last six days.

I was oblivious to my surroundings in the restaurant. I was seated by a young lady of nondescript features and my waitress was equally forgettable. Good! I wasn't distracted, and neither they nor I were likely to fall under whatever spell had been cast. I finished my meal and as I was savoring the remains of a nice Chilean red, I looked around at the other patrons. Besides the nearby young woman, there were two older couples at different tables, another table of four younger people, and that was it. There was nothing to command my attention. I finished the wine and signaled the waitress for the check and prepared to leave. Then, as I looked up, an absolutely stunning young woman walked in, looked around, saw me, nodded, and smiled.

As Jack Nicholson so aptly put it, "I was just inches from a clean getaway." I sat frozen in place. I felt powerless to move; certainly to leave. She was a dazzling redhead of about thirty years and she was tall. Her hair was long and very curly, her face was that perfect oval shape every woman wishes for, and there was a lovely sprinkling of freckles across the bridge of her long, aquiline nose and the tops of her cheeks. She was lean, yet still very voluptuous. A nice hip flare that was accented by a tight, long, grey wool skirt, while her more-than-adequate breasts were snugly confined in a dark forest-green sweater. A wide black belt and black low heels were the only accents on this beauty and they were more than enough. On top of all that, she looked vaguely familiar.

She was by herself sitting at a table that was directly in front of me, giving me a complete view of her in profile. It was now a battle of wills. Could I simply pay the bill and leave, or would I be tempted to introduce myself and see what effect my new powers would have on her. Incredibly, my waitress chose that very moment to bring my bill and stand directly in front of me, blocking my view of the mystery woman. Damn! Well, it was the excuse I needed. I pulled out some bills, left a reasonable tip and walked to the exit. I turned briefly to look back at her one more time, sighed, and left. I had managed a small but important victory ... but only just.

I returned to my room in the loft and opened my laptop. I reread my musings from the afternoon and thought for a moment about where to continue. There was so much to say, and the only path to take was to record it all and edit from there. I set to it and by ten I had fifteen pages of notes, comments, remembrances, and observations. Mountain Meadows was equipped with wireless and I surfed around for a few minutes, gathering the news and checking my e-mail. I signed off for the night and went to bed. I was asleep in seconds.

I awoke with the realization that it was Saturday morning and my one week anniversary was upon me. I had finally put one night behind me that had been free of sexual involvement with a woman. One down, two to go. Go ahead, laugh! Everyone has to have a goal in life. Mine was to avoid having sex for three nights in a row. Doesn't sound like much, does it? Well, we'll see.

I joined the other three guests for breakfast, and as usual lately, I ate more than I was accustomed to. The food was great and irresistible, so I didn't resist. I went back to my room and resumed my diary where I had left off the night before. I banged out my thoughts on the almost silent keyboard for an hour or so and then hit save, picked up my jacket and headed out to the car.

I slipped into the seat, started the engine and then just sat there. I had no idea where to go so I pulled out my topographical map of B.C. and had a look at where I was and what was nearby. I found a back road up a valley to what appeared to be an open area, and since the weather was good I decided to try my luck up there and do a bit of hiking. After all, I needed the exercise. I'd had enough breakfast to last me until supper time, so there was no need for anything but water and I could pick that up along the way.

When I got to the end of the narrow, rough road, I was surprised to see a mid-size SUV sitting off in an open area of grass, so I parked my Outback nearby. I grabbed a couple of water bottles and started to walk up the incline of the meadow. There was no one in sight, but since it was a big meadow, that wasn't surprising. I walked for a half hour or so, stopping now and then to take some pictures of the marvelous scenery.

It wasn't a few minutes later that I came over a rise and spotted a figure ahead of me. At first I couldn't tell if it was coming or going, but soon I realized it wasn't moving at all. As I got closer, there was something familiar about this person, and a couple of minutes later I was sure of what it was. I was also sure of whom it was. The tall redhead was standing in a field of alpine flowers and looked to be making notes on a pad. I was pretty sure it was the woman from the restaurant, and as I got closer, my suspicion was confirmed. I realized she wasn't making notes, but sketching with a pencil. I made enough noise so that I didn't startle her and continued to approach.

She looked up in surprise as I came toward her from the side. That same big smile broke out on her face as she apparently recognized me as well.

"Hi," I said with a smile.

"Hi ... you're a long way from home," she said casually.

I wasn't sure what exactly she meant. My old home was certainly a long way away. Other than last night, I didn't have any sense that I had met her before. I was confused.

"I'm sorry ... have we met before?"

"I'm not surprised you don't remember, Lee." She held out her hand and I took it. "I'm Beth Jorgenson. I'm Brian Tennyson's P.A."

"Oh, Beth ... of course. I apologize for not recognizing you." Brian Tennyson was my former employer's executive vice president. I saw him seldom in the course of my work, and would have only seen Beth Jorgenson in passing.

"No apology necessary," she smiled as she casually examined me. "You're a bit of a celebrity around the office."

"How so?"

"You quit a great job just before they were about to promote you to department head. You just told them you needed some time and space and that you likely wouldn't be back," she said with a rueful smile. "Not many guys have the guts to do that."

"Well ... there were special circumstances," I suggested.

"You mean your wife?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Ex-wife."

"I'm sorry, that was thoughtless and inconsiderate of me," she said.

"Not a problem. It was a bloodless parting."

"And then you vanished."

"Well, I don't know about vanished. You found me," I chuckled.

"True. When I saw you at the restaurant last night, I was surprised. I thought you might have headed for some glamour spot like Las Vegas or the Riviera."

"Why would you think that?" I was curious about what she was thinking.

"A handsome, available young man with great prospects, looking to forget? Maybe it's what I would do in the same circumstances."

"Uhhhmmm." It was as non-committal as I could be. I was beginning to sense that strange feeling again. Where was this encounter heading? She was such a commanding presence. She was very tall, at least as tall as me, but she was undoubtedly very feminine. Was she coming on to me? Was it starting all over again?

"Cat got your tongue?"

"Yeah ... I guess."

"Well ... I'm used to it. I usually intimidate the men I meet."

"It's not intimidation," I said bluntly, and perhaps with a bit more force than I had intended.

"Oh ... so ... what is it then?" She challenged me without hesitation.

"Long story ... no ... that's not right. Short story ... six days long."

"Good. Short stories are easy to remember." She was grinning during this banter.

"Sorry ... not for public consumption." I turned away, looking to change the topic. "You were sketching. Is it your hobby?" I asked, turning back to her.

"Yes. I sketch, and then I paint."

"Here, or at a studio?"

"Here ... if the weather allows. Otherwise, I take a picture and use that to help my memory."

"You've walked a long way for a painting."

"I didn't realize how far. I just kept moving until I thought I was in the right place to get the image I wanted. I guess I was dazzled by the scenery and forgot where I was."

"Well ... I'm here to help. What can I get you?"

"Nothing ... except ... Uhhhmmm ... I could use a drink of water," she said, eyeing my two bottles.

"Of course. Please help yourself." I passed one of the bottles to her. When her hand touched mine, I felt that tingling feeling again. Shit! Here we go again!

"Why are you so ... wary of me?" she asked out of the blue.

"Same short story ... same reason for no answer."

"Bullshit!" she spat without venom. She had my undivided attention.

"What's the matter, never heard a woman swear before?"

"Nope ... I mean yes ... I've heard women swear before. I'm just wondering what the big deal is."

"I think I intimidate you. You think I'm too big or too pushy or too ... something," she said, not looking at me as she resumed sketching.

I laughed out loud. "Lady, I'm an investigator. I see the seedy side of life way more often than you would realize. I am definitely not intimidated."

"Not the same," she said simply, continuing with her sketch. "Some men are overwhelmed by some women. It's an ego and comfort thing. Trust me ... this I know."

"Well ... for the record ... you don't frighten me or intimidate me," I stated flatly. "You can take that to the bank."

"OK ... so let's say I believe you. Why don't we get together tonight for a drink?" She was still concentrating on her sketch.

I hesitated and she turned toward me. "See ... I told you so."

"No ... No ... tonight's fine. I'm sorry. I can't explain why, but I'm being very cautious right now." It wasn't a lie. It just wasn't all of the truth.

"The divorce?" She had gone back to her sketch.

"Something like that."

"Cheer up, Lee. You'll get over it. The statistics are in your favor." She said it with a smile in her voice.

I was pretty sure I was sunk. My plan for three days of celibacy looked pretty dim. She was coming on strong and she wasn't in the mood to take no for an answer. On the other hand, she was gorgeous. I had often fantasized about tall women and here one was being delivered to me. It was that "gift horse" thing again. Ah, what the hell. Who was it going to harm?

"So ... how long are you up here for?" I asked.

"A week. It's one of my vacation weeks and Brian is away on business, so I get a week of peace."

A week with this woman would be a challenge. "Where are you staying?"

"I've got a time share that I use for a month each year. This is week two."

"It's a lovely area. I can see why you'd like it."

"What are you doing for dinner?" she asked. Nothing like being direct and to the point, I thought.

"Ahhhh ... nothing special. I'm here on my own."

"Good ... why don't you let me feed you?"

Well, I thought in resignation, I might as well just surrender. "That's very kind of you. I'd love to join you," I said without really realizing my double entendre.

I thought I heard her snort, but I wasn't sure. "I'm just about done. We can walk back to our cars together if you like."

"Sure."

She packed up her little kit and put it in a small backpack and slung it over her shoulder. She was wearing a light cotton t-shirt in pale green with an art design on the front. Her lovely breasts made sure I couldn't see all of the design. Her shorts were snug and the long, perfectly tapered legs that fell from her fabulous hips were on full display. She had a slight tan from somewhere. Although today was an unusually warm day for this time of year, the tan wouldn't have come from here.

We strolled together down the meadow toward the cars. She seemed to be happy to be close to me and I didn't discourage her. I was going to bask in the company of this woman just as I had relished the company of the others I had met this past week. If I couldn't control it, I might as well just surrender and enjoy it. If it was a fantasy, it was my fantasy, and a damn fine one at that.

When we reached the cars, she told me where her condo was and suggested I come over at seven. I smiled my agreement and said I would see her then. As I slipped into my car, I realized I hadn't touched her other than the brief handshake when we met. I had a suspicion that would be corrected this evening. I began to imagine just what this woman would look like naked and in my arms. I had reason to believe I would find out tonight.

When I arrived at Beth's just before seven, I was surprised at how nice her condo was. It was clearly a cut above the ordinary. I wondered how she could afford something this elegant. From our conversation this afternoon, I got the impression she didn't have anyone as a steady boyfriend.

When she opened the door, I'm sure my jaw dropped. She was wearing a low cut, black top sprinkled with small reflecting bits that would be dazzling if it weren't for the competition from her cleavage. Her skirt was the same tightly packaged gray wool from the previous evening. She was barefoot, and I wondered if that was for me or just for comfort. She looked fantastic. The hair, the eyes, the freckles, the breasts, and the long legs. It was damned unfair. She had her share of looks and a few others' share as well. I was getting that swell feeling in my pants. You know the one - the one that sometimes you try to hide and other times you try to show.

She wore that lovely smile and I felt very welcome. I followed her into the living room and my opinion of the outside was reinforced by the inside. This was one classy place. The finest in modern furnishings, hardwood floors decorated with what appeared to be Persian rugs, decor featuring crystal and various objet d'art, as well as paintings hung in strategic places. In other words, high rent! This didn't seem to be the playground for a personal assistant, but what did I know. This was out of my league.

"I'm impressed. This is quite the spectacular place. Not what I would have expected," I said in admiration.

"Well, it's not mine. I just get to use it. It belongs to a guy who has the hots for me," she laughed.

"So, what's the problem? I thought you intimidated men."

"Well ... this is different. He's married and he won't be leaving her anytime soon. It's her money," she said in a nonchalant tone.

"Ah hah! Just as I thought, a kept woman," I laughed.

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers