Wandering Bk. 06: Charlie

Story Info
A last stop before heading home?
12k words
4.78
16.2k
16

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/13/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers

Book 6 - Charlie

It felt quite natural to be on the move again. My initial flurry of sexual encounters with women had lasted but a short two weeks before I suffered a two month long dry spell. I was in no danger of falling into depression over it, but I was wondering what had happened to the magic. Pattie Monahan had solved all that.

As I looked in the rear-view mirror of my Outback, I was imagining I could see her standing there, waving goodbye to me. Our little fling had lasted four nights, broken up over a one week period. She was a dynamic, talented, and bright young woman with whom I could easily have stayed much longer. It wasn't what she wanted. She had plans.

When I stopped for lunch, I phoned Peter Dennison, my contact at Orca Investigations.

"Hi Pete, how are you?"

"That you, Lee? Good to hear from you. You coming in?" he asked for the hundredth time.

"Naw ... not quite ready yet. I'll let you know. Don't go holding anything open on my account. I'm in no rush."

"So, how are you doing? Where are you?"

"Salmon Arm, heading for Kamloops."

"Lots of good looking ladies in Kamloops," he needled.

"Hope so. I just had a nice break in Sicamous with one. She's someone you should talk to, Pete," I said seriously.

"Oh ... how come?"

"She's got a degree in Business Admin, and she's taking a course on forensic accounting. I know she wants a job in your field."

"Is her name Pattie Monahan?" Pete asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah ... I should have known. She didn't waste any time, did she? I gave her your card. I think you should talk to her."

"Don't worry, we will. We're looking for someone in that field to start as a 'junior.' She sounds like a good candidate. Thanks for thinking of us."

"Well, to tell the truth, I was thinking of me. If I end up working there ... well, you get the picture," I said, smiling to myself.

"Yeah, well don't expect me to save her for you. I'm a poor, lonely bachelor too, you know," he laughed.

"I've already warned her about you. Good luck!"

"Hey Lee ... seriously ... when are you comin' in?"

"Don't know for certain, Pete, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be out here on my own for much longer. I think I've gotten over the worst of it and I'm starting to think more about the future than I did when I set out in March. Hell, it's still only June ... at least let me enjoy the summer."

"Okay, okay, I get it. No more pressure. Just take care of yourself and stay in touch. Harold and I are still serious, Lee. The job's here if you want it. We mean that."

"Thanks, Pete. I've been hanging on to that thought all along. I just need to make sure that when I do, I've dumped all the baggage, capiche?"

"Yeah, I got it. Take care, Lee."

I was glad to hear they were interested in Pattie. I was confident she had something to offer. She was more mature than most 'juniors,' and was clearly very bright. She was also tough enough to work in a male-dominated environment without being intimidated. It would be interesting to watch her progress if she was hired.

It isn't that far from Sicamous to Kamloops; about eighty miles by road. I was in no rush since I thought I had a place to stay, The Ghost Town Lodge. It was a rustic resort ranch located in a ghost town a few miles north of Kamloops. I had a standing invitation to drop in anytime from the owner, Lew Coulson.

I met Lewis Coulson during my work as an insurance investigator. He had contacted us when fire destroyed his dude ranch in 100 Mile House and we were the insurance carrier. Lew suspected foul play, although the local fire department found no evidence of it. Lew was a straight-up guy and said he would feel better about accepting the settlement check when his doubts were put to bed. He told me that his suspicions were originally aroused when he received several unsolicited offers to buy the property at what he thought were unusually generous numbers.

As it turned out, Lew was right. Someone had torched the building, but it had been done by a pro, and it wasn't surprising the local volunteer fire department had missed the signs. After talking to Lew and trying to figure out a motive, we discovered that there had been a previous land claim under dispute before Lew owned the property. When the original title search had turned up nothing to obstruct his purchase, I began to smell a rat.

Sure enough, the original title records had been hidden or destroyed, and false ones had been substituted. When I matched the fake records with records from the era of the original title, I could see that there was no comparison in the forms. Then it was a matter of finding out who and why.

It took a lot of plain old-fashioned digging, but we finally found a mining claim at the root of the mystery. Apparently, the district clerk knew of the claim, and thinking that he could get the valuable property at a huge discount, prepared the fake documents and hired a "pro" to torch the buildings.

Just one problem. The original claim had been filed with an error. They had specified the adjacent property location and the land noted in the title was virtually worthless. Nonetheless, my company was happy since they could claim against the district for our costs, and Lew was happy because he knew the truth, and came out of it with a nice profit from a legitimate sale.

Over that six-week period, I might have been forced to live in motels weekdays, facing a weekly drive to and from Vancouver to my work. Lew, however, opened his home to me, a fully furnished forty-foot mobile, and we became good friends.

Lew had always wanted to have a "cowboy lodge" as he called it, and when the now-defunct town of Burnt Creek was put up for sale, he jumped at it. Within days, the mobile home had been moved onto the property, and he began restoring the buildings to create his lodge. It took two years to finish, but people came from all over the world to experience the "old west" atmosphere at the Ghost Town Lodge.

I phoned Lew from my cell and let him know I was in the vicinity and would like to stop by and visit. As expected, that turned into an invitation to stay with him at the lodge and I happily took him up on it. I arrived just after five that afternoon and was greeted by an enthusiastic Lew with a fine looking woman at his side.

After we had exchanged hearty hellos and finished with our back-slapping, Lew turned to the woman and took her hand.

"Lee, this is my lady, Francine," he said with obvious pride.

"Hi Francine, and congratulations. I was wondering if anyone would ever tie this guy down."

"Hi Lee. Lew's done nothing but talk about you since you called. It's wonderful to meet you," she said with a bright, toothy smile. "Let's get out of this hot sun and go inside."

I hadn't been in the lodge since it was finished and I was struck by how large and wonderfully authentic it appeared. It was a timber frame construction with a huge great room and dining area, and a staircase at each end leading up to several loft rooms. Lew gave me the tour and we ended up in the back of the main floor where he showed me a spare bedroom for my stay. Francine had disappeared into the kitchen to continue with the evening meal preparation.

"We're full, happily," Lew said when I asked about the business. "Have been almost since we opened. We renovated some of the other buildings for more capacity and I think we're going to have to expand the kitchen and the barn. Our guests are all out on a trail ride right now, but they'll be back soon. Why don't you settle in and we can talk after dinner. We've got a lot of catching up to do."

I took the hint, brought my gear in, took a quick shower in the ensuite, and changed my clothes. I was looking forward to some time with Lew and learning about what was going on in his life, especially about Francine. She was a good looking lady and I was happy for my friend.

I had barely returned to the great room when the first of the trail riders arrived, stomping their feet in a hopeless attempt to knock the dust off. I noticed they were mostly my age, in their thirties, with the odd sprinkling of forty and fifty-somethings as well. They all acknowledged my hello with curious glances and then moved upstairs to their rooms, presumably to shower and change.

I wandered back to the kitchen to see if I could help Francine and found Lew there, working side-by-side with her. It looked like they had a system that worked for the two of them, but I thought I could at least contribute delivery to the dining table. I volunteered and my offer was accepted.

Francine explained that she had come to the lodge as a cook when it first opened. The room I was using was hers to begin with. It didn't take long for her and Lew to fall in love, and now both slept in the master quarters at the other end of the main floor. They hadn't gotten around to getting married yet, but I could tell it was on their minds. Lew had never married, but Francine had a failed one behind her, just as I did. I guessed she was in her mid-thirties, so she was a bit younger than Lew, who was two years older than me.

Dinner would be served at seven, and by six o'clock couples were beginning to assemble in the great room for happy hour after they had changed and showered. They were a boisterous and happy lot who got along well with each other.

I volunteered to help at the bar. Lew told me that drinks were on the house, within reason. He asked me to use my best judgement and that was all he said.

Beer and wine looked to be the preferred libation, although an older couple from Germany preferred vodka and lime juice. I nursed a red wine as I watched the couples interact and tried to guess what they must have paid for this two week holiday. As I chatted casually with them, having introduced myself, I learned three couples were from Ontario, two from Quebec, three from the U.S. and two from Europe.

The couple from England was the life of the party and kept everyone around them laughing. I noticed one woman, however, who appeared to be on her own. I couldn't spot a partner and she was drifting from group to group, engaging in light conversation and then moving on. When she came to the bar for another white wine, I introduced myself.

"Hi ... I'm Lee Stephenson. I'm a friend of Lew Coulson."

"Nice to meet you Lee. I'm Charlie Kennedy," she replied in a bright voice.

"Charlie? That's an unusual name. Short for ... Charlotte?" I guessed.

"I wish. It's short for Charlene," she said with a look of disgust.

"Well, Uhhhmmm ... that's a very lovely name as well," I stammered.

She laughed ... more of a guffaw in fact. "Don't drink much more of that wine, Lee. It's affecting your judgement," she said with a big smile.

"I'll be careful. So ... where do you hail from?"

"The Big Smoke ... Toronto. I wanted a real western experience and this looked like a good bet."

"And?"

"It's great. I'm back riding for the first time since I was thirteen and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. And this place," she said, her hand waving around the lodge, "is fantastic. Wait 'til you sample the meals."

After a moment's pause, "Are you joining us for supper?"

"Yes ... I've been invited to stay as long as I don't embarrass myself."

"Somehow, I don't think that's likely. Now my boy ... uh ... ex-boyfriend, he majored in embarrassing behavior. It's one of the reasons I'm on my own at this shindig." She had just answered a very important question without my having to ask. Thank you!

She was giving me the impression of a very worldly woman, about forty-five years old I guessed. She was very attractive in her western garb with the tight jeans and brightly colored blouse showing her solidly built figure off to her advantage. This was no "Skinny Minnie," but a well-endowed all-female woman. She also appeared to be plain-spoken, and I figured the ex-boyfriend had trod on her toes somewhere along the line. It would be interesting to know.

Since we were both on our own, we sat together at the dining table and I thoroughly enjoyed both the meal and the company. The English couple was across the table from us and kept everyone laughing with their unfailing good humour. I didn't learn a lot more from Charlie with all the table talk and clatter, but I could do that later. She was a great dinner companion and I was pleased to have the good luck to find her so quickly. It was a reminder that my good fortune with women had returned.

When the meal ended and we moved to the bar for after dinner drinks, I resumed my role as bartender to allow Lew and Francine to clear the dishes and take a break. The dinner had been superb and there wasn't a dissenting voice in the house. I was conscious that Charlie had hung by the bar as I worked to pass out the liqueurs and coffees. I was getting the impression she was a bit lonely and maybe I could provide the company.

As I dispensed the drinks, Charlie and I had a chance for more conversation. The noise and cross-talk of the dinner table was gone and the group had broken up into small clusters, their voices no longer competing with each other. The sumptuous meal had slowed everyone down to a calmer, more satisfied pace.

"I know you're enjoying the riding, Charlie, but are you having a good time here?" I was back to my confident new self.

"Yes," she answered without hesitation. "I like the people and I love the place, and it just confirmed that the asshole I was with was a bad mistake."

"So don't beat around the bush, tell me how you really feel," I laughed.

"God, Lee ... he was such a dickhead. I have no idea why I thought I should be with him. I must be losing my grip." She was shaking her head in wonder at the thought.

"Well, in a way I'm sorry to hear that ... then again ... in a way, I'm not."

She looked at me and smiled. She got the message.

"So what's a good looking guy like you doing on his own?"

"Ah ... well ... recently divorced and working on my rehabilitation."

"Good for you. That's exactly the right thing to do. I speak from experience."

"Oh ... sorry to hear that," I said without looking at her.

"Don't be. I made a mistake and I fixed it. Simple as that. Trouble is, I'm making the same mistake again more often than not." Her voice was tinged with regret.

"You just need a change in luck. You're a lovely woman and smart, and you'll find the right guy one of these days," I assured her.

"Thanks. I needed that," she laughed. "Want to apply for the job?"

I was taken aback by her comment, but recovered. "What makes you think I'd be any different?"

"Oh, I don't know. Just a hunch, I guess. You don't act like some of the 'Desperate Desmonds' that I've been dating. I get the feeling that you are a lot more in control than most guys." Her raised eyebrow and crooked smile left me little doubt she was challenging me.

"Looks can be deceiving," I suggested with a sideways glance.

"Yeah ... I found that out ... for sure. Somehow, I don't think I'm wrong, though." She had turned toward me and I could clearly see a more confident Charlie.

The activity at the bar had tapered off and Lew had turned on some music. It was soft, easy on the ears and a reasonably slow tempo. The lively English couple, the German pair and two or three others began to dance and that gave me my opportunity.

"Would you care to dance?" I asked.

"Love to," she answered quietly.

Often when I dance I have two left feet, but Charlie was so easy to lead and felt so comfortable in my arms that we were soon alone in our own world.

"How long are you here for?" I asked as we danced.

"I just got here Saturday, so today's day three. I'm booked for two weeks. How about you?"

"Not sure. I don't want to overstay my welcome, and I can't offer Lew much help in this business, so it probably won't be too long."

"Well, just remember ... I have booked and paid for a double ... so ... if you're interested, I could find some room for you." Again, her eyes had that mischievous twinkle, challenging me with just a look.

"Hmmm ... very tempting. Let's just see how we get along before we make any big decisions. You've already had one disappointment. You don't need another." I was serious, but also very interested. We seemed to hit it off and a few days with another delightful woman would be quite pleasant.

"You're being cautious ... but I agree. We should know pretty soon if we want to team up," she smiled.

We continued to dance and she was moving right into me, insinuating her body on mine. She had a lot to insinuate with and it felt great. I always did like full-figured women and Charlie was definitely my type. The thought crossed my mind that she might want to take a "test drive" at some point. Ever the optimist, I wondered if tonight might be the night.

"You never did tell me what you did ... I mean ... your career," I said as we moved slowly together.

"You'll laugh. I own a body shop."

"How do you spell that?" I was feeling pretty confident now.

"Careful, Lee," she laughed heartily.

I didn't take her warning seriously. "So ... what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like that?"

"I inherited it from my father. He got sick and couldn't run it any more, so I took it over. I've been pretty successful, as a matter of fact."

It sounded to me like it was a point of pride, so I ran with it. "Why am I not surprised? You look like a no-nonsense kind of woman, so you wouldn't be intimidated by the macho-male atmosphere."

She smiled at me but didn't reply. I had made my point and she had no need to confirm it. She wanted to maintain some sense of femininity, I thought. It was completely unnecessary. She was genuinely all-woman. I was very attracted to her and I was confident she knew that.

The trail ride and the various other activities had caught up with many of the guests and gradually they all began to disappear. Charlie and I were sitting on the sofa and exchanging small talk about ourselves when Lew and Francine appeared from the back.

"All done for the day?" I asked Francine.

"Yes ... all ready for tomorrow," she smiled.

"What time do you get up?"

"Six ... breakfast at seven-thirty to eight-thirty. Don't be late," Lew laughed.

"He's right, Lee. The breakfasts are amazing," Charlie chimed in.

"I see you two have met and got acquainted already," Francine grinned.

Charlie turned and looked at me. "I've traded up, as you can see," she smirked.

I don't usually blush, but I'm sure I did then.

"Well, we certainly aren't going to miss your original partner," Lew said seriously.

"Was it that bad?" I asked.

"I was ten seconds away from calling the Mounties when he finally got the message that he wasn't welcome," Lew admitted.

"Wow ... what did he do to cause that?"

It was Charlie who answered my question.

"He almost immediately got drunk, made a pass at a couple of married women including Francine, and generally made an unpleasant scene. When Lew asked him quietly to behave, he got belligerent and threatened to beat Lew up. I was mortified, and I guess I was yelling at him to stop and ... I don't know. I just lost it I guess."

Lew picked up the story from there.

"I eventually got him calmed down enough and finally he stomped off to their room. I had Charlene stay in the room you're in just to make sure he didn't do anything stupid, and on Sunday morning he was missing. His kit and car were gone. Good riddance, we all agreed," he concluded.

"It was all my fault," Charlie confessed. "He didn't want to come on this vacation in the first place. He called it my juvenile fantasy. I was stupid enough to think he'd change his mind when he got here." Her look of regret was clearly defined by her frown and downcast eyes.

"No harm done, Charlie," Francine broke in. "He's gone and you're having the fun you wanted to have when you booked here. Why, we've even arranged for a new dance partner for you," she said with a self-satisfied grin.

coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers