War Torn Ch. 03

Story Info
Two lonely hearts find each other in the midst of war.
690 words
4.62
8.3k
3

Part 3 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/06/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mjblythe
mjblythe
10 Followers

I awoke to his voice and the gentle touch of his palm on my cheek. It was early morning. I was lying across the cushioned seat, covered by a heavy woolen coat. Groggily, I pushed the coat off, sat up, and began to focus. The world outside the window was grey and frozen, projecting a harsh light into the little room. He stood before me holding something wrapped in a clean handkerchief. I made room for him on the bench, and he immediately sat down, handing me the little package. I unfolded the handkerchief to find my uneaten teacake from the previous evening.

"You must eat something now," he said. This time I did not protest. I ate slowly, watching him. He stared out the window and was silent, but his presence overwhelmed me. I thought back to the sensation of his body against mine as he had held me the night before. My flesh prickled with goose pimples and I felt a fluttering in my chest. I wanted him to hold me again—to smooth my hair and speak in low tones. But he sat motionless beside me. I finished the little pastry and rose to find the washroom.

Once there, I appraised my reflection. My hair had fallen from its chignon during the night and now framed my pallid face with strawberry curls. My eyes were still heavy with sleep, but even sleep could not extinguish the deep blue of their color. I straightened my frock, splashed a little water on my face, and attempted to pin my hair up once again. When I returned to the compartment, Erich was standing uneasily in front of the window. His face softened as he saw me, and I smiled in return.

"I hope you slept well. You seem much refreshed."

"Yes, thank you."

"That makes one of us. I myself could not sleep."

"Was it the pain in your leg?"

"No, something quite different," he laughed nervously. "I must say something to you, and I hope you do not think me mad."

"What is it?"

He stepped forward to take my hands in his, looked into my eyes, and then haltingly he began to speak.

"Anna, I did not sleep last night because I could not bear to let you out of my sight. I couldn't close my eyes for fear of waking and finding you gone. I have never been more content than when I held you in my arms last night, and when you fell asleep, it was all I could do to let you go."

My breath caught in my throat as he continued. "I have never been a lonely person, but I feel that I shall never be complete unless I have you beside me."

"Erich, I..."

"Anna, I want you to come with me. Forget your transfer; forget the Red Cross Society and nursing and the war. Come with me to the farm."

...

My heart was pounding, my head spinning. This was madness. Could I really walk away from the misery of the war? Could I leave behind the painful memories of my broken family? Was I really so foolish as to believe this stranger? Minutes passed as I tried to find a way to respond. Suddenly, a carefree daringness combined with delight and desire to drown out my most rational thoughts. I took a deep breath.

"Yes."

His eyes widened and he gasped with surprise, dropping my hands as he did so. I bit my lip, trying to keep from grinning. If I continued to trudge through the harshness of civil servitude, I was sure that my short life would be void of all things that could bring me pleasure. I wanted to chase the one glimmer of happiness that had come into my life, and capture it while I had the chance. Erich placed his hands on either side of my face and pulled me toward him, touching his lips to mine. He kissed me gently, but with an energy that sped through his lips and into my soul. I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck and breathing him in.

mjblythe
mjblythe
10 Followers