Wasting Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers

Could he be one of those psycho cases?' Chris nervously giggled at her own joke as she thought, 'A psycho doesn't live like this and go to this much trouble to help a stranger with two kids.

No, he's different, but he's real. Ok, so he's not an asshole, but he is a big jerk. I might not hate him, but I don't think I like him.'

Staring at the closed door for a moment, Chris walked over and turned the lock. After all, she wouldn't want to be considered stupid.

**********

Ethan was jolted awake in the middle of the night. Did he hear a kid screaming? He lay there listening, all he could hear was muffled voices and a child whimpering. Evidently one of the kids was having a nightmare and Chris was consoling them.

He glanced at the alarm clock, it read four a.m.. Ethan rolled over and went back to sleep.

**********

The next afternoon, when Ethan pulled into the driveway it appeared Chris and the kids were still there. Either that or she forgot to turn off the kitchen light when they left.

As he walked in the door, a delicious aroma immediately piqued his curiosity. He smiled when the little ones went running to the kitchen screaming, "Mommy, mommy that man is back."

Chris appeared in the kitchen doorway with a dish towel in her hands and the two little ones hanging on to her legs. "Wash up, dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes," she said.

Ethan looked at her and nodded as he headed for his bedroom to clean up and change clothes.

The little ones let go of their mommy but didn't leave the kitchen, just in case that man came back again. When Ethan entered the kitchen, they scurried over to take hold of mommy's pant legs, following her every step as she set food on the table.

Ethan went to the cabinet and got out four plates and glasses. After setting them on the table, he laid out a set of silverware for each of them.

Taking his seat at the head of the table, he sat back smiling in wonder as he watched the unspoken power a mother exerts over her children, and they over her.

Not a word was said as Chris finished setting the food on the table. When she picked up his glass, she asked, "What would you like to drink?"

"Any diet soft drink will do... over ice, please," Ethan added.

As they sat down to eat, Chris questioned, "Do you say grace?"

"Nope... You?" he returned the question.

"Never have, but always thought it would be nice," she stated.

Ethan grinned, "Pass me the potatoes please... let's see if you can cook."

"Oh I can cook, I might not be good at much else, but cleaning a house and cooking a meal are two things I can do," she smiled.

"Evidently you didn't hear me last night when I said I would take us out to dinner?" Ethan implied as he took a bite of potatoes.

"Oh yes I did, but you are already doing more than you should. Plus eating out is not all that healthy, so I decided to cook," Chris stated.

"Well I'm glad you did, there's no place I know of that serves food like this. It's absolutely delicious. Please pass me another helping of the potatoes," Ethan requested as he scarfed up what was left on his plate.

"Don't you ever get anything to eat?" she smiled at him. "You act like you're starving."

"For food like this, I am. Our employer's mess kitchen serves darn good food, but it doesn't hold a candle to this. You're really good," he said.

Chris beamed with delight over the double compliment. The verbal was ok and nice to hear, but as every woman knows, the real test is in how a man eats. Ethan was eating proof of what he had professed.

"By the way, that's where I was going to take you and the kids to eat, over to the mess hall," he informed her.

A little curious, Chris asked, "What do you mean by mess kitchen and mess hall?"

"Simple," he said. "My employer furnishes us a place to live and three meals a day. The mess kitchen or hall as we call it is open to all the employees and their families," he replied trying to enlighten her.

"A place to live... this isn't your house?" she asked.

Ethan chuckled, "Only as long as I'm employed here and am able to maintain my position. This section of housing is reserved for crew chiefs and team managers."

"Team managers... what's a team manager?" she inquired.

"Crews are what we call all the maintenance and grounds keepers, all the cooks, servants, stable hands, chauffeurs, butlers, and other personal staff are called teams." As he finished, Ethan took another bite of food.

"What kind of business do you work for that has crews and teams? I've never heard of a company providing room and board for their employees. It must be nice," she said with an astonished look.

Ethan smiled, "It's not a company, it's an estate called 'Wetap.' The owner is not only very rich, but very nice too. He does have very strict rules about living here though. What we do away from here is our own business, as long as it doesn't reflect badly on Wetap. What we do on the estate is the business of everyone that lives here."

Chris sat reflecting on what Ethan had just said and he could see her tensing up. "Well if that's the case, I guess the kids and I need to think about moving on. We wouldn't want to get you in trouble," she said without smiling.

Ethan grinned, "I've already taken care of it. I had a talk with Richard today, he's the owner. After I filled him in on the circumstances and assured him there was nothing going on between us, he told me to use my own judgment and to tell you, 'Welcome to Wetap.' He's really a fantastic gentleman. If you hang around long enough, you'll get to meet him."

Chris visibly relaxed and smiled, "He sounds like a great person, but I still can't believe he furnishes all this for you. I can't wait to meet him. Out of curiosity, where did he get the name Wetap? What does it mean?"

"I honestly don't know. Everyone has asked him. He just smiles and says, 'My true love gave it to me and she didn't even know it.' That's all we've ever been able to get out of him," he replied.

They lapsed back into silence while finishing their meal. Chris noticed her daughter doing a little eye flirting of her own with Ethan.

Not to be left out, her son started making faces at him. Ethan couldn't help but laugh and almost choked on his food, Chris and the kids burst out laughing at him.

Chris ushered Ethan out of the kitchen when they finished eating. The kids had already left, headed for the living room to find something to play with. They located it as soon as Ethan plopped down in his favorite recliner.

The rug rats started circling, didn't take five minutes and they had weaseled themselves a spot on each side of him as he held one in each arm. They pulled on his ears, pinched his nose, flipped his lower lip, and pulled his eyelids open as they laughed and giggled at him. Especially when he oinked, honked, and squealed at each of their antics.

Chris stood in the doorway with a big smile, laughing to herself while drying a plate she was holding. Where has the big jerk gone?

This guy morphed faster than she could keep up with. Now he was just a big soft teddy bear... maybe they could be friends after all.

All through rinsing and loading the dishes, Chris could hear the kids laughing and having a ball. 'It's sad,' she thought, 'I don't remember them ever having that much fun with their own dad. Hell, I don't remember him ever spending that much time with them.' She found herself getting antsy to finish up and join them.

It was fun. They all laughed and played until the kids' bedtime. Chris was astounded the kids didn't put up a single fuss when told it was bedtime. They were worn out. She did notice neither would go to bed until they had hugged and kissed Ethan good night.

After the kids were down for the night, Chris asked Ethan, "Cup of coffee?"

"Sure," he said. "Do you play gin?"

Chris couldn't resist, "Do you mean Cotton, martini, or cards?"

Ethan laughed, "Yep, that's what I mean."

"I'll have you know that I play gin almost as good as I cook," Chris informed him.

Trying his best to look serious, "We'll see...."

Three hours later, Ethan had proven he was not only good at gin, but at listening too. During the gin games Chris filled him in on her basic life story.

She had been raised by her mother after her father was killed in a flying accident when Chris was a teenager. Her mother never remarried and had just passed away a year ago from an aneurism.

Chris had no brothers or sisters, and her only relatives were distant ones who supposedly lived on the other side of the country. She had no names or addresses, but they were so far removed, not only by distance but by blood also, they couldn't be considered family anyway.

She and Greg, the kids' father, had started dating their senior year of high school. Thinking they were madly in love, Chris had let her guard down and ended up pregnant. He, of course, did the right thing; they got married.

After their high school graduation, Greg got a decent job working in a warehouse. They never had much, but Chris was ok with that, she never was a demanding person. As long as they had clothes on their backs, food on the table, and could get medical attention when needed, she was satisfied.

The problems started after their son was born. A few months later Greg was laid off from his job. He had put back a little money and between unemployment and their savings they got by.

When the unemployment ran out so did Greg. He just left one morning supposedly to search for a job, but never returned, no calls, nothing.

Either he couldn't face not being able to provide for them, or figured there would be one less mouth to feed. At least that's what Chris tried to convince herself. Whatever reason, she and the kids hadn't seen or heard from him since that day several months ago.

When her resources ran out, Chris was evicted from her apartment. She loaded their clothes in the car, filled the tank with gas, tossed in the kids, and headed out. No particular direction, just hoping and praying fate would guide her to something better.

Ethan sat shaking his head, "Chris, life works better when you have a sensible game plan that you follow."

"I know, but my screw up was depending on Greg to have a plan for us. Too late, I realized he was flying by the seat of his pants all the way. We were just living day to day believing life would take care of us," she confessed.

Ethan ended up winning five games to Chris's three, she was pretty sure he let her win the last one. It had been a very relaxing and fun filled evening for both of them.

Chris asked, "You left so early this morning, what time do you usually get up?"

"My alarm is set for six. I usually leave by six-thirty so I can swing by the mess hall and grab a bite to eat," he said.

"Well if you don't mind, I'm wore out and ready for bed. I hope to see you tomorrow when you get home," she grinned.

"Ok, I'll bite. You hope to see me? Why would you think you wouldn't?" he asked.

With a big grin, Chris replied, "The last man in our lives took off one day and never came back."

Ethan lost his smile, "Rest assured Chris, you will probably leave after you're back on your feet and prepared to make a better life for yourself. But until that day, I will be here for you and those babies."

With tears in her eyes, she declared, "I believe you and I'm truly sorry, it was a really bad attempt at a joke. Oh, before I go to bed, do you have an extra alarm clock?"

Ethan went to his bedroom and when he returned, he handed her an electric alarm clock. She said, "Thank you and good night."

After closing the bedroom door behind her, she turned and looked at the lock. Then she set her alarm and went to bed.

**********

Ethan looked at the alarm clock, it read four a.m. again. He had heard the screams this time. Tiptoeing down the hall he listened at the door. Chris was soothing one of the kids back to sleep, it had been another nightmare.

Ethan was stunned that kids would not only have nightmares, but seemingly on a regular basis. Tiptoeing back to bed, he went back to sleep.

**********

When Ethan's alarm went off the next morning, he was surprised by a strange noise coming from the direction of the living room. Quietly slipping down the hall, he was shocked to see a light on in the kitchen. Wondering if one of the kids was sick, he peaked in to find Chris in her house coat preparing to cook.

She spotted him and said, "Good morning sleepyhead, better hustle, your breakfast will be ready in about ten minutes."

Never a man for wasting time, he made a beeline to the bathroom for a quick shower, he didn't want to miss this breakfast for the world.

When he entered the kitchen, the table was set. "Take your seat, breakfast is ready," Chris said.

Ethan took his seat at the head of the table as Chris set his breakfast in front of him, two eggs over easy, two slices of buttered whole wheat toast, two sausage patties, and a cup of coffee. He looked up questioningly as she said, "I know, and a large orange juice."

"How did you know my favorite breakfast?" he was amazed.

"I've worked as a waitress before. I heard you place your order at the diner. A good waitress never forgets what her best customers order, it's hard to get good tips if you do," she informed him.

"And I know you didn't get to finish your meal, so consider this my apology. I hope it makes up for the one you missed," she added.

He sat there grinning and shaking his head as he thought, 'She's something else.'

She sat there smiling and thinking, 'He's kinda cute when he's eating. Damn it, stop that right now, as though I don't have enough problems already.'

**********

When the phone rang about lunch time, Chris was startled. She wasn't sure if she should answer it. Tentatively she reached down and picked up the receiver. "Hello," she said.

She easily recognized Ethan's voice on the other end, "Chris?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Just wanted to let you know not to cook dinner tonight, I have to go somewhere and pick up some equipment after work. Want you and the kids to go with me. If it's not too much trouble, we'll eat at the mess hall tonight." He informed her.

Chris chuckled, 'So much for him making all the rules, just two days and he's asking for my permission. Oh, he is so big and tough. Good thing I'm nice, otherwise in two more days, I would have him on his knees and begging.'

"No problem, we'll be ready," she said.

**********

"What is this place?" Chris asked as they pulled up in front of a mechanic shop.

"Wait here," Ethan directed as he bailed out and went inside.

Chris sat watching and playing with the kids while she tried to figure out what he was doing.

Returning to the truck, he walked around to her side and opened her door. "Get your butt out, this is far as you go," he said.

Puzzled she unbuckled her seat belt and climbed down in time to see her car coming around the corner. "Ethan!" she screamed, "You shouldn't have."

Smiling, he joked, "I may have had it fixed, but I'm not driving the damned thing home. You can follow me." He left her standing there and went around and climbed into the truck, backed out and waited on her to pull up behind him.

**********

While sitting at a table in the mess hall eating their dinner, Chris looked up at Ethan and just started crying.

Bewildered, Ethan asked, "Chris are you alright? Is something wrong? Did I say or do something?"

Chris just sat there shaking her head no.

"What then?" a confused Ethan begged to know.

"Oh you're a man, you would never understand. Just forget it, but nothing is wrong," Chris replied. As the kids went around and hugged her, she started bawling.

With a frown, Ethan decided it best to just continue eating and not ask.

After they finished, they went home for another evening of fun and light hearted games. The kids just wouldn't leave Ethan alone. In just two days, he had become their personal play center.

Just like the night before, the kids went out as soon as their little heads hit the pillows. Chris found herself enthusiastically looking forward to some time alone with Ethan. She thought, 'It's amazing how he could become so important to the kids... and me, in such a very short time.'

Chris nodded towards the kitchen, Ethan followed her. After getting them both a cup of coffee, Chris asked, "Why did you do it? It's not your responsibility to even provide for us, let alone fix my car."

Ethan pulled out his wallet and fished out several one hundred dollar bills and laid them in front of Chris. She immediately turned beat red and said, "I can't take or accept those."

"Yes you can and you will. It's not just for you, it's for the kids too," he informed her.

"Ethan, I have nothing to offer in exchange for that much money. If you have anything in mind, I'm sorry, you have misjudged me altogether," she declared.

Now it was Ethan's turn to turn red, but with anger. "Have I asked you for anything, have I even suggested anything? On top of that, I told you the rules here at Wetap. It could cost me my job to do something that stupid. I fixed your car and am giving you the money for only one reason, I won't have you living here feeling like a prisoner. If for any reason you decide it's time or you need to leave, you now have a vehicle and the means to do it."

Chris started crying again, "God I'm such an idiot. Can you ever forgive me?"

Ethan sat there a moment before saying, "I don't know Chris, I just don't know... but a game of gin might help."

Laughing, Chris slapped his arm as she got up and walked away from the table. She returned shortly with a deck of cards, score pad, and a pencil. "You have to shuffle first since I went and got everything."

By the second game, they were both laughing and having fun. Ethan asked, "What about Greg's family? After he deserted you and the kids, they wouldn't help?"

Chris did a sarcastic chuckle, "Yea, they helped... helped ruin my reputation after we informed them I was pregnant. They virtually disowned Greg for marrying me and having what they called his bastards. No, there is nothing there but cold hard feelings on both sides."

Ethan just sat shaking his head, "I'm truly sorry, think you will ever be able to forgive the rest of us?"

Chris sat there a moment before saying, "I don't know Ethan, I just don't know... but another game of gin might help."

They both laughed.

When Chris went to bed that night, she didn't even think of the lock as she shut the door.

**********

Ethan woke up. The alarm clock read four A.M., but this time there were no screams. He had just popped awake on his own.

The silence made him smile. He prayed the babies would never have another bad dream. Rolling over, he went back to sleep.

**********

Chris beat him out of bed again, he hustled to get a shower. He didn't understand, but he was compelled to spend every minute he could with her.

He enjoyed her laughter, her smiles, her conversation, not to mention her cooking. The crying he could do without.

His crew that day wanted to know, "What's the deal? That's two mornings in a row you've failed to show at the mess hall for breakfast."

"Don't worry," he told them, "I'm not missing any breakfasts." They gave him funny looks, but went on with their work.

When he got home, Chris had fixed a big pot roast. 'Damn that woman can cook,' he thought after forking down his first bite.

Laughing, Chris jokingly informed, "Well sir, you are about to eat us out of house and home. If we don't restock soon, it will be back to the mess hall for you."

A red faced Ethan just nodded his understanding.

Chris was rinsing off a plate when she heard a strange word coming from the living room between fits of laughter. Stepping closer to the doorway, she cocked an ear, listening to what was being said.

wetapap
wetapap
373 Followers