Way of the Willamette Ch. 01

Story Info
A fictional story set in late 1800s Portland, Oregon.
4.7k words
3.89
10.4k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A fictional story set in late 1800s Portland, Oregon. I would like to give thanks to my special someone, for all her help with the writing. All characters are over the age of eighteen, fictitious and any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental.

Glossary:

shanghai: to recruit men for a ship by unethical means, by force or the use of liquor or drugs

mickey: a drink, to which a drug has been added to incapacitate an unsuspecting person

swain: a male lover or admirer

bawd: a prostitute or woman who manages a brothel, a Madame

crimp: one who enlists sailors by persuasion, deception or coercion

*

Stepping onto the veranda with riding gloves in hand, Juliana paused for a moment to take in the sight of snow capped Mount Hood rising majestically in the distance. Closer by, the Willamette glittered as a riverboat trailing a long plume of smoke slowly churned its way past the sailing ships at anchor. As her gaze lowered and swept across the grounds of the McKay country house to the stables where her horse was being groomed, she realized how much her life had changed since Daniel had taken her into his employ.

She was his house keeper, though in name only and what duties she had were light, especially when Daniel stayed away for days at a time managing his sailors' boarding houses or acting as an agent for the ships. Even so, she missed the acquaintances she had made while working for Madame Evelyn and wondered what had become of Trevor, Daniel's son since the night Daniel had found him with her on board the Western Belle. Still, she thought, it was far better to keep the company of one man rather than many and while Daniel was well known for his violent temper, he treated her well, rewarding her generously for her companionship.

Determined to make the most of the extra hours she now needed to fill, Juliana had enlisted the services of Daniel's dependable hired hand to give her riding lessons. As James passed her the reigns and began to saddle Mae, a pretty gray mare, she felt all the frustration of her previous riding attempts rising up and coming to a head.

'James, you do know that I cannot go any great distance riding side saddle. Could you not girdle Mae with an English saddle instead?'

'None of the women here in these parts ride astride, Miss Collins...' he slowly answered with a slight western drawl.

'Please excuse my forwardness James, but I'm hardly a lady now, am I? And surely you can see that I'm wearing silk trousers under my riding skirt!'

'That I can,' he answered, looking back at her with barely concealed amusement. 'Alright Miss, ride in your own way if you must but you will have no use for that riding crop with Mae.'

Juliana stood by politely, trying not to stare as James changed the saddle. He was a tall man, whose broad shoulders were only emphasized by the sturdy belt and braces he wore. Smooth shaven, with a strong chin and a roman nose that had been broken, Juliana found him to be ruggedly attractive while there was something in his steady, sure manner that made her feel he was a man she could trust.

'Will you help me up then?' Juliana asked when he finished buckling the saddle.

'Yes, but you should be on Mae's left side, as I have told you before. Take care to remember Miss; it's your left foot that goes first into Mae's left stirrup!'

Juliana came close to James, close enough to catch his masculine scent. She hesitated for a moment, trying to understand the look in his grey eyes before turning to face Mae's side as he reached down to take her boot clad ankle into his strong hands.

With Juliana safely mounted, James easily swung himself up onto Prince, his black and white Palouse horse. As he slowly rode by to lead her through the tall firs on the gentle downhill slope behind the house and stables, she couldn't help giving him a small smile of gratitude despite his cool, reserved attitude. Lightly digging in her heels, she urged Mae on to keep pace, enjoying the heady feeling of breaking with convention while admiring his confident poise, his manly physique. By and by they left the trees behind them to ride into a lush green meadow speckled with Oregon sunflowers and columbine. James slowed then, falling back to let Juliana take the lead.

'You want to give the reins some slack, Miss Julie. And try to sit up straight, easy like though. There's no call for you to be hunched over like that.'

Lowering her reigns, Juliana gave Mae a sharp kick with her heels, spurring her into an easy lope even as she tossed the riding crop back to James with a giggle. Snatching the flying crop from the air with one hand, James swore under his breath and urged Prince on to give chase. As he caught up to her, Julie slowed so that they were riding side by side. Her soft brown eyes glittered mischievously and her fair complexion colored when he gave her a stern look.

'Learn to walk before you run, Miss!'

'Yes Sir!' she replied while trying to keep a straight face.

They rode together in silence for a few moments, each lost in their own thoughts until James gave a small cough.

'Pardon me, Miss Julie. Can I ask you a question?' he said, noticing how her dark, glossy tresses had come loose from the hair pins and blue silk ribbon she wore.

'Yes, of course.'

'Ahem, well. What I was wondering was, is how does a well spoken, educated woman like yourself come to be a working girl for an old bawd like Madame Evelyn?'

'I no longer work for Evelyn and it wasn't by my own choice, James. Why would you think that?' she asked, her fine, clear voice rising higher.

'Not by your choice?'

'No, of course not! I was living with my mother in San Francisco and working as a dressmaker when they took me.'

'You were taken by force?'

'Yes. I had been working very late into the evening finishing a wedding gown. When I left to go home, I took the more direct way through a disreputable neighbourhood, and that is when two rough sorts who were following me took me from behind. I tried to scream but my mouth was covered, then they dragged me along a dark alley and down into the cellar of a building. James, before I go further, will you promise to never repeat a word of what I tell you? My mother's well being depends on it!'

'You have my word Miss Julie, you can be sure of it. I have heard of sailors being shanghaied, but never a woman. Did they hurt you?'

'If by hurt, you mean did they beat me? Then the answer is no,that was not their way. Instead, they locked me into a very small room, no bigger than a closet really, with nothing but a hard chair for furniture. There was no light to see by, none, and it was impossible lie fully down.'

'How long did they keep you there?' James asked with an edge to his voice.

'I had no way of telling day from night, it was a long time, weeks if not months. At first I screamed, begged and pleaded. But I was completely alone in the cellar, the walls of the closet were of thick wood covered with tin and none could hear. Only after long intervals would I be fed, when I was very hungry and thirsty. There was a small opening in the wall near the floor through which he gave me food and took out the chamber pot. He would not even speak to me for the longest time, not until I had given up my fight and was reduced to complete despair.'

'And then?'

'He began suggesting wicked, lewd and degrading things to me, but always with a soft voice, a kindly tone. Every time I tried to reason with him, I was left in utterly dark solitude for what seemed like days. Eventually, I thought I would perish alone in my closet and then I began to believe him, wanted to believe him. I slowly realized my only hope was to do his will. After I foolishly gave him my full name and he found where mother lived, he threatened to harm her and, and to do worse...'

'I think I have heard enough, Julie....'

'Won't you let me finish, though? I need to tell what I have been too afraid to say to anyone before, as difficult as my story may be to hear.'

James looked up from the faint game trail in the grass that they had been following, his resolve melting when he saw the anguish in her face, the tears in her eyes.

'Alright. Go on then.'

'It wasn't enough that I gave in and consented. Instead, I had to prove my willingness by,' Juliana's voice broke as she gave a small sob before looking down and continuing, 'by pleasuring him in almost every way a woman can give pleasure to a man, except one. And not just once James, but often. Then, then later on, with him and his, his cohort together...'

As Julie began to quietly cry with sobs that shook her slender frame, James took Mae's reigns from her and halted the horses. Passing the reigns back to her, he gently covered her trembling hand with his.

'They took your honour, and they ruined you.'

'No, everything but,' she sniffed as a tear ran down her cheek. My honour was too precious for them to waste on themselves. It was Daniel McKay that bought my virginity, James. He was the one man, in a room full of wealthy men at Madame Evelyn's, that made the highest bid.'

***

Carrying a leather bound ledger book in one hand and a distinctive ebony cane with a gold plated handle in the other, the smartly tailored ship's agent and boarding house proprietor left Sailors' Manor behind him. As his buggy pulled by Meier & Frank's General Merchandise, he slowed, hesitating for a moment before urging his horse back into a trot. Over the years since his wife passed away it had become his habit after dining out on a Friday evening to take a turn at the store and drive down to the dock where Madam Evelyn moored her converted riverboat. Once there, he could look forward to enjoying a drink or two while listening to Evelyn singing at the piano and later in the evening, find pleasure in the arms of one of her fallen doves, as so quaintly stated in Daniel's booklet, 'A Sporting Guide to the Bawds of Oregon':

'Miss Evelyn of the Western Belle

Dockside, Front Street, Portland

Its well appointed staterooms are so fine,

Gentlemen chose the Western Belle time after time.

A riverboat by any other name,

Would not offer quite the same.

With Miss Evelyn's beauties beyond compare,

To sooth your each and every care...'

Instead, he continued along First Avenue which was decorated with colorful bunting celebrating Independence Day. Stopping only to have a quick word with one of his men at one of the many drinking establishments, he left the dusty streets of Portland behind him to take a turn towards the hills in the west. Following a narrow, winding track bordered by towering fir and hemlock trees to the crest of a low hill, Daniel rode into the stable yard of his Victorian country house to find Juliana waiting for him at the front door.

She looked spectacular, almost radiant in the warm light of the setting sun. She had her luxurious, long black tresses done up in a high knot and was wearing a dress of navy blue silk which reached to just above her ankle. The low, squared neckline and her snug corset conspired to display her small but well rounded bosom with striking effect, while the tiered and ruffled skirt back only exaggerated her naturally feminine form. Giving him a small smile as she welcomed him, she took his hat, cane and the tailored jacket he wore. After entering the parlor, she gave Daniel a questioning look and making a slow pirouette asked, 'Well, do you fancy it?'

'Juliana, you look absolutely divine!' Daniel exclaimed with delight.

'Really? You are much too kind Daniel! I have been working on it for most of the week with my new Wheeler sewing machine; it really is a marvel to sew with. I changed the pattern so it could be worn either as a walking dress or evening dress, as needed.'

Taking her hand and raising it to lightly kiss it with his lips, he looked at her with a serious expression and said, 'It is truly beautiful Julie, but I must ask you not to ever wear it in public.'

'Oh? Why would you say that?'

'Portland is a rough, wild town full of unmarried men. Why, it could cause a stampede!' he answered with a chuckle and a twinkle in his bright blue eyes.

'What great fibs you tell!' she giggled and giving him a hopeful look, went on, 'I suppose then you will not be taking me to the dance tonight?' Playfully linking her arm in his, she softly called, 'Balance one, balance all eight, Swing on the corner like swinging on a gate...' as she gently swung round him.

Standing back in surprise, Daniel laughed, 'I would have to spend the entire evening fighting off all the young bucks! Not that I couldn't either. I might be fifty years old to your twenty three but I can still take a man half my age, as Trevor found out. He had to learn to respect my wishes the hard way after I told him in no uncertain terms to leave you alone... But with regard to the dance tonight Juliana, how would it appear for me to be your escort?'

Her expression became serious as she gave a soft sigh and lowered her gaze. 'I understand, Sir. I had a lovely afternoon with my friend Sarah and I shall content myself with that. I was wondering why I had not seen Trevor for such a long while, you did not hurt him badly, did you?'

'No, not all, just enough to knock some sense into him. I think I may have found some wholesome work to keep him occupied and out of trouble,' Daniel said with a mischievous grin and then paused a moment before going on, 'And Juliana, how did you spend your day?'

'I hitched Mae to the wagon and found the extra cloth and lace trim I needed at S.L. Marsh on Stark Street. Later in the morning, after I visited with Sarah onboard the Western Belle, we watched the Military Parade as it went down First Avenue. And, at lunch time we attended the Grand Picnic together at Canyon Gardens...'

'Was there a big crowd?'

'Yes, very much so. A passionate address was made there, with the King being proclaimed a skunk and England called to a fight. Then a long speech on how we have freedom and liberty in America and an invitation to those with heavy burdens in other countries to come to our land to find peace.'

'Ah! I see they still twist the lion's tail on July fourth...'

'Yes, they certainly do Daniel. And when they finally finished talking, some drunken men began brawling and calling each other "bloody limeys". It was really quite dreadful!'

'Ha ha! Boys will always be boys, Juliana, even if they are grown men, and especially if they have had a few too many. Were you able to see the baseball game?'

'The game between Portland and Salem? Yes! Did you know Daniel, Portland only just won by one run? The last inning was so exciting!'

'Well, it's a good thing they won,' he said with his charming grin and continued, 'I had thirty dollars on Portland. Shame I was too busy to enjoy it. One thing I must do Juliana, is to get you a buggy, a proper one with a folding top as you seem to be doing so well with Mae now.'

Giving him a quick hug, she replied, 'Would you Daniel? That would be wonderful! Oh, before I forget to ask, have you had your dinner yet? It is late but I can ask cook to make you some...'

'Yes, I dined earlier with Captain Anderson before I stopped in at the rooming house. A drink would be just the thing to celebrate with though.'

'The Kentucky Blue Lick, then?'

'No, for tonight, I would like some of Oscar Pepper's Old Crow bourbon, the original mind you. And for you my dear, a cordial?'

'I was looking forward to having tea but now that you mention it, a blackberry cordial would be lovely.'

When Juliana returned with their drinks, she found him sitting at the writing desk with his ledger book open. Glancing over his shoulder, she couldn't help but notice the two columns of neatly written figures, one for lodging paid and another for credit given to sailors who couldn't afford accommodation.

'I don't suppose you have a head for numbers, do you Julie?' Daniel asked as he turned to look up at her.

'I suppose I did well enough with maths at school, though it is not a subject I am very fond of...'

'Ah, just as well then. If I keep the books myself, I can remember who owes what and who has paid. God knows, there are enough sailors with little or nothing who need food and lodging.'

'Do you lend them money?'

'What I do my dear, is akin to giving credit for wages they have not yet earned, on the condition that a ship's captain will pay me directly the amount owed before leaving port. Of course room and board, which often includes liquor and the use of a woman, costs considerable more than the going rate as there is always the risk a sailor will run off without me being paid at all. But by bringing him to a captain myself, my lodging costs are made good. Also, when sailors are hard to come by, I can also collect a commission for finding and providing a man on short notice.'

'I think I see,' she said while regarding him thoughtfully. 'In return for what you put forward at a high price and by accepting money for his head, you can almost sell a man into a form of servitude... and I suppose the more he owes, the longer his voyage must be to for him to clear his debt.'

'Juliana, you do understand that by giving lodging to penniless sailors who may have to wait for weeks to find a berth on a ship and by supplying captains with the crews they so desperately need, I am providing a vital service to the shipping trade! Yes, a vital service my dear, and one which has made me comfortably well off. Besides, what I do is lawful.'

'Well, that is a grand scheme then. Would you prefer to sit outside though? The fireworks should be starting soon...'

Easing himself into a comfortable wicker chair on the veranda, Daniel lit one of his Havanas and inhaled deeply as a feeling of contentment came over him. He was contemplating how the evening could end when Juliana handed him his drink and sat down in the chair next to him.

'And how was Captain Anderson today?' she inquired politely, taking a sip of her cordial.

'Hale as ever,' he chuckled happily and went on, 'but he has less than half of the crew he needs and is desperate to find more hands before sailing with his cargo in two days time.'

'And were you able to help him?'

'I told him I would see what I could do but because the supply was low and it being a holiday, he would be paying over and above the usual rate. Luckily, I think I may have found some men for him at one of the saloons.'

'Well then, here's to a successful voyage for Captain Anderson and his crew,' Juliana proposed and as the brilliant, red glare of the first sky-rockets began to light up the sky, 'God bless America!'

Juliana had just put on her nightdress and was about to let down her hair when she heard the muted tinkle of the hidden pull bell Daniel had installed in her bedroom, his signal for her to attend him in his chamber. Taking a moment to put in place a small sponge soaked in vinegar, Juliana climbed the stairs as discreetly as possible by the light of her oil lamp, taking care to miss the creaky step near the top so as not to wake Emily, his loyal cook.

He was sitting up in bed with his ledger when she quietly entered the room. As she bent to turn the flame down he huskily said, 'Leave the lamp burning Julie, I want to be able to see you in all your beauty... come, and let me undress you.'

Standing behind her, he wrapped his burly arms around her slender waist and began lightly kissing her neck while telling her how much he had missed her, how much he wanted her. Bending down, he grasped the hem of her white cotton nightdress and slowly lifted it, caressing her long, slender legs with the soft cotton. Her dress slid ever higher, to gradually uncover the delicate tuck of her neatly turned bottom, then up and over her silky cheeks to reveal the graceful arch of her back.

12