Wenatchee Ch. 05-06

Story Info
Geoff gets a nasty surprise.
8.2k words
4.63
138.9k
40

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/24/2022
Created 03/24/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers

Ch. 5 The Dead Zone

Summer in the Wenatchee Valley is predictable. Dry, sunny, and hot! Which is fine when you're living in a nice cottage on the Columbia River with a beach in your front yard. It's not quite as good when the shop doesn't have a proper air conditioner, and with the traffic in and out of the store the inside temperature gets pretty warm.

I never heard a whisper of complaint from either Jana or Jimmy. Mind you, on most days they were dressed in t-shirts and shorts. By the July 4th weekend, we had all become pretty comfortable with each other. Jana was getting over her shyness. She was also dressing a bit more like the girls her age would. Jimmy was demonstrating that he had quite a sense of humor to go along with his computer competence, and Terry was happy as hell that he wasn't being pressured every day to get more work done.

The boys elected to stay at the cottage on the holiday. No surprise. The quantity and quality of nubile young ladies was quite sufficient to keep them occupied. I drove into town to partake in the festivities and meet some of the civic leaders. Our business was well known and it was good PR to be visible.

I was interested in the vintage vehicle display and spent some time looking at many of the automobiles from a past era. Most were fifties, sixties, and seventies cars that had been either restored or modified. There was some exquisite work on display, demonstrating the talent of the builder. I stopped at a display of a farm tractor and fruit cart. It was a 1930's era John Deere and it was beautifully restored and painted in its trademark green and yellow. I wasn't really paying attention to anything but the tractor when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hi, Mr. Nelson."

I turned toward the voice and saw Jana standing there, dressed in gingham, and looking every bit the farm girl from decades ago.

"Hi, Jana. Is this your tractor?"

"My dad's. My grandfather once owned it, and Dad restored it. He's very proud of it."

"He should be. It looks terrific."

We'd pretty much run out of conversation material when a woman, close to my age, stepped around the tractor and approached us.

"You must be the famous Mr. Geoff Nelson," she said, holding her hand out.

"I'm Jana's aunt, Gisele Ardien. I've heard a lot about you," she smiled as I gently shook her hand.

"I don't know about famous, but I am Geoff Nelson," I grinned. Aunt Gisele was a fine looking woman, nicely dressed in a summer outfit, and very attractive. Her face looked European somehow, I thought. Perhaps the darker complexion, or the deep brown eyes.

"You've transformed my niece in a very short time," she claimed. I looked at Jana and she was blushing and looking very uncomfortable.

"I've got to help Dad, Mr. Nelson. I'll see you next week at the shop," she said hurriedly, then escaped to parts unknown.

"Just how have I transformed Jana," I asked Gisele.

"Well, to begin with, you gave her a job that she truly enjoys and makes her feel much better about herself. Secondly, she's working side-by-side with a young man of her own age group and it's doing wonders for her self-confidence."

"Ah ... that would be Jimmy Rideout. He's a very bright young man. They make a great team."

"Yes. I think Jana has a crush on him but is far too shy to tell him. However, her time at your business has helped a great deal. I can see the difference even in such a short time."

"Yes. I can too. I'm really pleased about that. I think she could be a very valuable asset to the business when she gets over her shyness. And she looks very pretty in that period dress. I wish she would dress a little more like her age group, but I dare not say anything to her about it."

"Don't worry. I'll look after that," she grinned. Her clothes have been her protection mechanism. They ward off unwanted attention. There's a reason for it, but that isn't important. What's important is that she's beginning to enjoy herself and feel good about herself for the first time in years. I thank you for your helping make that possible."

"Someday I'll tell you about how her hiring came about. It wasn't a conventional decision."

"I'd like to hear that. Perhaps we can have coffee or lunch some time when you're not too busy."

"I'd be pleased to." I gave her my business card. "Call me when it's convenient and I'll make time." I was aware that I was smiling and enjoying the presence of Gisele Ardien.

She reached out and touched my arm lightly, smiled, then turned away and walked behind the display. It was the first time in more than a month that I had been conscious of an attractive woman and the thoughts she could stir in me.

The holiday had been on a Sunday, so the shop remained closed on Monday and we enjoyed the long weekend. The boys had found a couple of new friends in Orondo and were showing fairly impressive tans. Their new friends were both attractive young girls and very polite as well. I was introduced to them and found out they were local; both their parents were in the tree fruit business.

I had put Matt in charge of Ross. He was eighteen and I wanted him to be responsible for both his brother and himself. I couldn't watch them when I was at the shop, so I had to trust they would behave themselves and not get into trouble. They had never given their mother or me any reason to think they would be a problem, but I was happier if Matt was riding herd on his brother.

Terry had come up to the cottage the week after July 4th and after watching Matt handle the boat, gave his permission to use it without my being there. I wasn't totally sold on the idea, but I had a long talk with Matt and Ross about it and had them promise me that they wouldn't do anything that would cause Terry or me to regret giving them this freedom. It was a matter of trust and both Terry and I were sticking our necks out for them. I think the message got through to them.

Normally, mid-summer was a bit slower in the business, but not this year. Terry and I had worked on two submissions for the school board and the local college and were happy that we received the contract for all of the college facilities and almost half of the school district. That changed the amount of work we had, since the systems had to be ready to go when school resumed.

When Terry and I sat down and looked at the extra business, it was obvious we were going to be very busy. Jana and Jimmy would be going back to school and we had visions of working nights and weekends to keep up. We needed more staff.

"Terry, what if we keep Jana and Jimmy on part-time? Maybe a couple of hours after school and some weekend time. At least that would help us from working ourselves into an early grave."

"Yeah. Makes sense to me, Geoff. But even so, that won't be enough. If we do a real good job with the school board, they'll give us the rest of the district. We'll be right back where we started. I don't want to lose those kids, but we need permanent staff. At least one person. Maybe two."

"Well then, I guess I'd better get busy and start looking. First though, let me talk to the kids and see if they're willing to work part-time."

I caught up to Jana and Jimmy at lunch and sat with them.

"You guys have done a terrific job for us this summer. I can't tell you how much difference you've made. Now, we've got some new business and we're going to need help year around. Terry and I were wondering if you'd like some part-time work during the school year?"

"Sure," Jimmy said immediately. "What kind of hours?"

"Well, that would be up to you. You have your studies and you do need some free time for yourselves. What do you think would work?"

"I don't know," he responded. "I'd need to think about that and check with my folks."

I saw Jana nodding. "I'd need to talk to my Aunt and Dad. But if I can, I'd really like to keep working here."

I smiled at both of them. "Great. Let me know what works for you. In the meantime, I'm going to start looking for one or two permanent employees. This business is suddenly growing ... and I think it has something to do with you two," I grinned.

Two days later we had worked out a schedule. The two students would come to the shop after classes for two hours each day, then a full day Saturday. That would give them and us eighteen more hours to help cut down the workload. Terry and I would open the shop on alternating Saturdays.

The larger problem was finding a full-time employee. I thought about it for a while, and then returned to a proven resource.

"Mr. Drummond, it's Geoff Nelson calling. I just wanted to let you know that both Jana and Jimmy have turned out to be a big help to our business. In fact, we're keeping them on part-time when they go back to school."

"That's great to hear, Mr. Nelson. In truth, I have spoken to both their parents and they are very pleased with how they are doing. It sounds like Valley Computer Systems is a very good place to work."

"Nice to hear that, sir. Actually, I have another request. I'm now looking for one or two new full-time employees. I wondered ... with your experience ... if you knew of anyone who might be suitable. I'd love to have two more Jimmys or Janas."

He laughed. "Well, nothing comes to mind right off hand, but give me some time to think about it. I've had a lot of bright students go through my classes and maybe I can find one or two who might fit. I have your number, so I'll call you back. By the way, congratulations on obtaining the contract for the college. You were clearly the best bid of any of them, and not just because you were local."

"Should I assume you were on the selection committee?" I asked.

"Good assumption. The last thing I wanted was someone making the decision who didn't know what was required. I'm pretty confident that we've made a good choice."

"Thank you, sir. We'll work hard to confirm your decision."

When I hung up, I was pleased with myself. I had an inside friend at the college and it had helped us get the contract. Now we had to make sure we didn't let him down.

It only took a day before Mr. Drummond called me back.

"First of all, we've been talking to each other enough that I feel I can call you by your first name if you'll call me Lowell."

"Of course. It's Geoffrey, but almost everyone calls me Geoff."

"Great. Now down to business. I have a question for you. Do you have any problem hiring the handicapped?"

"Well, I haven't really thought about it, but no ... not really. I mean ... the issue is can they do the work and can they be here regularly. Other than that ... well ... what are you thinking?"

"Some years ago I had a very bright student who was accepted at West Point. He received his commission and ultimately chose to become a career officer. Two years ago he was wounded by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. He lost both legs. He resigned his commission and came home, but he hasn't had much luck getting on with his life.

"Some of it was self-pity, and some of it was shame for not being the whole man he once was. His wife left him and he started drinking. Some of us who knew him decided to make him our personal project. We've got him back to sober and at least looking to get on with his life. I think your business might be just the solution.

"You'd need to convince yourself that he has the ability to do what you want done, but I'm fairly confident that he's turned his life around. I guess the only other question is, would you be willing to talk to him?"

"Wow. That's quite a story. Look ... Lowell ... this shop isn't wheelchair friendly. Is that going to be a problem?"

"It shouldn't be. He has two prosthetic legs and a special set of crutches. He's fairly mobile, but he'd need a place to sit for most of his work."

"That shouldn't be a problem. Why don't you have him call me and I'll set up an interview."

"Very good, Geoff. I'm grateful and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by him. His name is Bernie Redmond, but most people call him 'Red.' When you meet him, it will be obvious why. Thank you again. I'll be thinking about anyone else who might fit your needs. I'll call you if I do."

"Thanks, Lowell. Let's hope Mr. Redmond works out. I'd like to be able to help a vet, especially a disabled one."

This was going to be difficult. What if he couldn't really do the job? I'd have to turn him down and I'd feel like shit doing it. Would the booze problem come back to haunt me? Then I'd probably have to fire him. More trouble. I'd better talk this over with Terry.

"Well, I can see your worries, Geoff. A former alcoholic, and he's disabled. His wife left him, and that wouldn't be good for your manhood. But ... you know ... you're pretty good at figurin' people out. Better than me, that's for sure. I think this is one of them deals that you've got to go by your instincts. That don't mean you won't make a mistake ... but what the hell ... if it works, you've got a good employee and I get to stay home every Saturday," he chuckled.

It was Terry's way of telling me to use my own best judgment, and if it didn't work, he wouldn't be climbing down my throat telling me "I told you so."

Mr. Redmond phoned me the next day, exactly at ten o'clock.

"Mr. Nelson, my name is Bernard Redmond. I understand you are looking for someone to fill the position of computer specialist. I'd like to apply for that job."

His voice was clipped and accent-less; clear and distinct. Very military to my thinking.

"Yes, Mr. Redmond. I've been expecting your call. I wonder if we can get together for a few minutes to discuss the operation and the job description. When would be convenient for you?"

"I can make myself available at any time, sir. Would this afternoon be too soon?"

"No ... that would be fine. Would three o'clock be suitable?"

"Yes, sir. Fifteen hundred hours. I'll be there."

I smiled at the time reference. He seemed enthusiastic and anxious to impress. This afternoon would be interesting.

Promptly at three o'clock, the front door opened and a big, red-headed man on crutches worked his way in, closing the door behind him. He was a handsome fellow with a clean shaven square jaw, well dressed in khakis, a polo shirt and a ball cap with a military insignia on it. He removed his hat and using the crutches, walked his way toward my office. I went out to meet him.

"Hi, you must be Bernard. I'm Geoff Nelson." I held out my hand without thinking, but Bernard took it firmly and shook it.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Nelson."

"Bernard, we're pretty informal here. Please call me Geoff, and I'll continue to call you Bernard, unless you'd rather I call you Red," I grinned.

"Most of my friends know me as Red."

"Then Red it is."

He seemed to relax a bit as we went through the formalities. He had a folder tucked under one arm and he passed it to me. I opened it and it was a résumé, and it was very thick. I set it aside for the time being and looked at him. He was clear eyed, clean, neat ... pretty much what you would expect from a soldier. A former soldier, that is. He looked fit and was able to get around on his artificial legs and crutches fairly well. It didn't look like that would be a problem.

"How did you get here?" I asked.

"I drove. I have a van that's equipped with hand controls. I have a restricted license, but I can drive anywhere in any state."

We were off to a good start and asked him about his background in computers and in the military. He had been well schooled, not just in the local college, but in the Army as well. He wasn't specific, but I got the impression he had been involved in special operations where his company's computer skills were required. He mentioned tackling Taliban and Al Qaeda communications codes and transmissions, but was vague about what he or his men actually did.

In the next half hour, we went over what we did and who we did it for. Some of the work was mundane, and some was very complex. I told him I was hoping some time in the future I would be able to add a couple of new capabilities to the company; programmable logic controllers and security systems. When I mentioned that, I saw his eyes go slightly larger and an eyebrow lifted.

I told him what the job paid and what the hours were and he was happy that it was within his expectations. He was currently living with his brother, but wanted to be able to have a place of his own. I didn't take me long to decide he had what it took to do the job. On top of that, I liked him. He was a nice guy that had a couple of horrible things happen to him. I could relate to his anger when his wife left him after finding out that he had lost his legs. She nearly took his manhood with her.

He admitted to the drinking and the grim days that he endured putting a stop to it. He knew it only happened with the help of his friends. Friends like Lowell Drummond and Red's brother David. He was past that now, and more confident about his future. What he needed was a job that would restore the rest of his self-esteem and give him a sense of future. With Terry's approval, we would give him that opportunity.

"Terry, I'd like you to meet Red Redmond, our newest employee. Red, this is Terry Jackson, owner and my very good friend."

"Nice to meet you, sir."

"It's Terry, Red. We're pretty informal around here as Geoff has probably told you. Welcome aboard. I heard you served our country. I'd like to personally thank you for that."

They shook hands and a few minutes later, Bernard 'Red' Redmond walked out the door. He would be back in the morning to start his new job.

"You feel pretty good about him, do you?" Terry asked as we watched him work his way into his van and drive off.

"Yeah. I do. I think we've got another winner," I said, turning to Terry.

I looked up at the clock and it was after five. I had spent two hours with Red Redmond and the time had raced by. I was on a mild high as I locked up and headed for my car and Orondo. I'd have a nice cold beer when I got to the cottage and met with the boys.

After supper I called Lowell Drummond and told him we'd hired Red. I thanked him very much for the referral and said if he had any more like him, to send them over. Our collaboration was working very well.

I had almost forgotten about Gisele Ardien until she walked into the shop on Friday morning. She waved to Jana and walked to my office.

"Have you forgotten we were going to have coffee one morning?" she asked directly, but with a smile.

"No. But then, I thought you were going to call me. No matter. Is now a good time?"

"Of course. I wouldn't be here otherwise."

I walked back to the rear of the shop. "Terry, I'll be out for a few minutes."

"Okay, Geoff."

I showed Gisele to the door and we left. As the door closed, I saw Terry standing in the door of his office with Jana, watching us. Jana had a nice smile on her face.

"Nice to see you again, Gisele. How are you?" I asked as we walked toward the diner on the corner.

"I'm fine, Geoff. I don't have to ask how you are. I hear you have two new contracts, that you've hired my niece part-time and you've found a new full-time employee. All that adds up to success. Congratulations."

"Thank you. But how do Jana's mother and father feel about her working part-time?"

"Well ... I convinced her father that it was a very good thing for her and he agreed. Her mother passed away some years ago and I've been a surrogate mother to her since then."

"Oh ... I didn't know that. I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been hard on her."

"Very hard. She was only seven when it happened. She withdrew into herself and became quite detached. Paul, her father, is my brother. He didn't know how to cope with her, so I came out here to help him. I'm afraid I wasn't really the answer. She didn't know me very well, so I could hardly become another mother to her. However, over time, and especially since you've come along, things have changed for the better."

coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers