What Now? Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Randall Wyeth?"

Emmett nodded up to Randall. The officer looked up. "You said you caught the murderer?"

Emmett hauled Ronnie up. "I didn't do nothing! They attacked me!"

Lyssa produced a small tape recorder. "He confessed to it. Mercy said it was him."

"Where is the girl?"

"Not here at the moment."

"She'll have to come in and id him."

"Certainly, officers, is tomorrow soon enough?"

The one nodded and walked over to where Emmett had Ronnie by the arm. Pulling out a pair of handcuffs, the officer circled and began intoning, "Ronnie Wilson, you are under arrest for the murder of Jamie Wyeth."

"I was framed! They kidnapped me! I didn't do it!"

The Miranda came next, in fits and starts, repetitively, as Ronnie was led to the car while continuing to protest his innocence.

The cars pulled out and Lyssa sagged in relief.

Several sets of eyes watched them pull out of the drive.

"Beta. Madam Beta. Come."

The Alphas led them to their office. "Close the door." Randall sat int the chair behind the desk while Ariel sprawled in a chair beside it. Lyssa and Emmett stood before the desk, looking uncomfortable. They waited. Emmett stole a glance at his mate. Lyssa tried hard not to, but began fidgeting after a minute or so.

Randall finally had pity on her. "Explain yourself."

It came out in a rush. "I figured it was Ronnie and I knew I could get him..."

Emmett took her hand and squeezed lightly. "Breathe, mate."

Lyssa took a deep breath, held it, let it out. "OK, uh. The Ma... Ross Alpha asked the question, Why didn't he kill Mercy? If he wanted to kill werewolves he wouldn't have walked away after killing Jamie. So, well, it had to be something else."

"Stephanie, uh, Alpha Ross remembered the Jamie and Justin were... are... were, uh, light-colored. At night, to human eyes, they'd look grey." She looked over. "He waited there, until he saw a wolf that looked like you."

"So, I knew it was Ronnie. And I started figuring out how to get him." Between the penetrating looks of her Alphas and her mate, she stopped, and swallowed. Her gaze dropped. "I," a deep inhale, exhale, "I left messages, found out where he worked. We already knew where he lived." She noticed Emmett tense beside her. She started to turn toward him.

"Madam Beta!"

"Alpha," her attention snapped back.

"Continue."

Another breath. "I followed him, let him see me."

Emmett sucked in a breath and Lyssa's stomach knotted. As much as she feared the displeasure of her Alphas, she worried more about what Emmett was thinking right now.

"I was in the car, next to him. He saw me, followed me."

"Why didn't you bring him here?"

"Wouldn't be able to prove he did it."

"Mercy would identify him."

"Humans wouldn't believe she recognized him by scent."

"Still why the back of the range?"

"He wouldn't come in the driveway."

Emmett finally broke and turned to her. "You didn't tell anyone; didn't ask anyone to back you up."

Her voice rose as she looked at her mate. "I'm a werewolf; I can take Ronnie."

"Then why are you bruised? How did he hit you?"

She took a couple breaths. "I've gotten worse sparring. I had to make him mad."

"He shot Jamie."

"He wanted you dead, not me."

A clearing of the throat brought their attention back to their Alpha. Lyssa resumed her exposition. "He wouldn't have come here. It had to be away from the den. He would have wanted me alone so he could gloat. That he'd hurt me. That he'd killed Em." She glanced at him. "He was only gonna tell me, so he could hurt me. And I was ready. I wanted him caught, punished." She took a deep breath, turned to the wolf beside her. She reached back, slowly, touched his arm. "You've done so much for me." Her voice broke slightly on the next sentence. "I wanted to do something for you, protect you."

Emmett closed his eyes, swallowed, and turned toward her, taking her hands. "Lys, that's my job. To take care of you. Our son."

"19th century much?"

"Lyssa!" There was a certain tone in that voice, a timbre that every wolf knew, and feared. Her knees hit the floor a fraction of a second before Emmett's.

[You're not being punished.] Em grunted.

Lyssa closed her eyes and bared her throat. She heard Em's heartrate pick up before she felt the touch of claws. "How many years have you been with the pack, now?"

She tried to speak, cleared her throat. "More than five years."

"Do you think she'll ever let go of her human notions, Beta?"

"Alpha?"

"You understand the question?"

"Of course, uh, well, she's been human longer than wolf."

"Not an answer."

Lyssa heard the smile in his answer. "Not for a long time, my Alpha."

She blinked, opened her eyes and looked up. She saw both of her Alphas looking down at her. Her neck was starting to hurt. "Madam Beta, provide me with an objective appraisal of you actions in this matter."

"Um."

"Your strengths?" Ariel prompted.

"Knowing Ronnie and human nature."

"Weaknesses?"

She looked at both of them, glanced at Em. "Taking him on alone when I didn't have to."

There was a period of silence while the Alphas conferred. "What do you think your punishment should be?"

Lyssa sagged, grumbled. "Guess it won't be taxes this time."

"Lyssa Forester, for discounting your pack mates in a matter of pack relevance," he took a breath, "and for presenting our pack mate's killer to the authorities by unorthodox means, you, and your mate," Emmett stiffened and she sucked in a breath, "are relieved of your duties for two days."

He stopped; Lyssa waited. There had to be more. They looked at her.

Emmett rose and, with one smooth move, threw her over his shoulder and strode out the door. Lyssa smiled as the door shut on their Alphas.

"Think we'll ever be able to anticipate her actions?"

"Told you it would be interesting with her in the pack."

There were no words spoken as Emmett carried Lyssa to their suite. He kicked the door closed and hauled her into the bathroom.

As he set her on her feet, he took her face, gently for the bruises, and looked into her dark brown eyes. "You're going to be the death of me, mate."

She looked up at him, "Em..."

"Nope. No talking. No explanations. No justifying yourself." He reached into the shower, turned on the water, and shoved her under the spray. She yelped and sputtered.

While he kicked off his shoes, he also stepped in, fully clothed. She was working on the buttons of her shirt while he stripped his off and threw it in the corner. He then helped her remove hers. It went in the corner, too.

He turned her, wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back against him. "Better, mate. His scent is almost gone."

They stood there for a few moments before she asked, "How mad are you?"

He gave her a quick squeeze. "You scare me, sweetheart. You take risks that I don't understand the reasons for." He took a breath and she opened her mouth to respond. "You mean to help and that's a worthy goal but, while you are, as you said, now wolf he still could have killed you. Did you think of me? Of..."

She whirled. "Of course I did. I did it for you."

"What about Emmanuel?"

She deflated. "I thought about it a lot. Figured it was the best way to get him, to get him to admit it. Didn't want anyone else to get into trouble."

Emmett took her face in his hands and rested his forehead against hers. "I was worried when you didn't come home. You've beat us over the head with how dangerous it is for us now. That means you, too."

"I just found you, dear heart. I don't want to lose you."

"I... just? It's been years."

"Lyssa, it's not long for us. It's not long enough for me." His arms slid to her shoulders, slid her bra straps down. She slipped her arms out and he cupped her breasts, rubbing his thumbs over her water-slicked nipples.

She succeeded in unbuttoning his pants when he dipped his head to her breast. Lyssa gasped, her hands in his wet, grey hair as he licked and sucked a nipple.

One large hand was around her back, keeping her close. The second was working the button on her skirt. He pulled against the zipper and it grudgingly opened. Emmett shoved the wet cloth down over her hips 'til it dropped to the floor with a wet splat. The panties had come off, as well. He slid a hand between her legs and felt her slickness there.

She was tugging on his pants as he pushed her up against the wall. His mouth descended on hers with a bruising kiss. His tongue caught hers and they twined together in a pale imitation of how their bodies would mesh.

His hands ranged down her body and he grabbed her by the ass and lifted her slightly. Lyssa wrapped arms and legs around him. The kissing grew more feverish until he broke it by pushing her up further, and further.

At this point all of Ronnie's scent was gone. All that was left was her. His mate. His Lyssa.

And, even more than that, the smell of her essence. That she was wet and ready, for him. And there it was before him, that slick swollen flesh that was emanating that wonderful smell.

Emmett inhaled deeply and leaned in to take his first taste. And he heard her sigh. And smiled, briefly. Then he returned to exploring her with his tongue, to sweeping up her juices, to flirting with her hardened clit.

Lyssa began moaning, twisting and latched on to his hair. More licking. More sucking. Firmer. The muscles in her legs were starting to twitch as a prelude to shaking. There. There. His tongue vibrated against her sensitive bud and she squealed and went stiff.

He pushed it, pushed her, trying to extend her orgasm. Her juices leaked down the crack of her ass and down his chin.

Emmett let her come down, in both ways, now noticing where she had hold of his hair so tightly. And, as he back her away from the wall, he realized they'd run the entire den out of hot water, and fumbled for the faucet. Lyssa's face held a satisfied smile under half-lidded eyes. [Stand?] She nodded and he put her on her feet. He stripped off the jeans, which were stubborn, and picked her up again.

Legs around his waist, Emmett carried Lyssa to the bed, both of them dripping.

And things continued, with a short break for food and another to play with their son, well into the evening. The evening bird calls and insect sounds were beginning to die out as they fell asleep tangled together.

*****

The weather turned in August.

Where it had been hot and humid before, it turned absolutely sweltering. Stephanie was miserable. Hot. Fat. And it seemed she had to pee every 5 minutes.

Her stamina sucked. Any sparring session was short because her balance was off. The healer had discouraged anything more than moderate exercise. Her back hurt. Her feet hurt.

She felt better as wolf and at least she could run. But, now, the transition was difficult.

And sleep? She nodded off at odd times and it seemed that whenever she did get to sleep, the pup would wake and start elbowing her. Or kicking.

The healer had assured her she was only having one but she was very ready to have this over. The mated females smiled indulgently and she hated them. She refused to hear about any of their experiences.

*****

Ronnie had been indicted on charges of assault, attempted murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, and unlawful possession of a firearm. The trespassing charge was deemed superfluous. He was being held without bail.

He hadn't yet been charged with murder because the prosecuting attorney was trying to figure out how to try that part of the case..

Divers had pulled a couple of handguns out of a nearby pond and the police were testing them. The police were also trying to determine who had given it to him since, as a convicted felon, he wasn't supposed to have one.

In the meantime, some hours away, an enclave had gone up in smoke.

Word was out, of course, about how they lived and the types of facilities they had. Groups that kept to themselves, which were generally considered odd cults by their neighbors, were prime candidates for being wolf packs. Whether they were, or not.

Someone had managed to launch a homemade bomb at a large house holding numerous families. There were something like half a dozen dead.

There was talk of building a nationwide association of wolves. Some felt they needed to band together now, for protection.

They had no special provisions under the law. It would take years and they had only just begun.

*****

Petitions. How she hated petitions.

Fortunately, there were only a couple that day. It seemed the Ross pack had been on its best behavior. With their Alpha's current mood and condition, none were sure of what punishment might be meted out.

Stephanie first dealt with equipment for the bunker and the associated costs.

It was about half done and the panic room about three quarters.

The next centered on a squabble between two young males. "Why are you coming to me with this?"

It was Rich and Leo, two of the pack's adolescents. And, normally, any disagreements were dealt with in the circle. She had to try to figure out why that wasn't working.

By the time she had uncovered the real reason, a young female, Rich's sister Violet, her head was pounding and her back was aching.

Stephanie dismissed everyone with a growl and stood.

Warm liquid gushed from between her legs. A cramp hit and she doubled over. "Alpha?"

Breathe, breathe. Got to breathe.

She panted until the pain eased.

"Alpha?!"

It was harder than it had ever been, but she shifted to wolf.

Stephanie clenched her teeth, shook out her fur, and shook her head. As she turned, she slipped in the fluid and yelped as she went down. Hard.

Sampson closed on her. "Alpha? Stephanie?"

She scrabbled to get up and growled at him. [Ross pack, do not get in the Alpha's way!] He knew that would start speculation but knew she was having the pup and wanted her upset as little as possible.

She got her feet under her and headed into the den. He followed and was confused at her direction. She wasn't heading to her rooms nor did she turn toward medical.

Sharilyn was just approaching as they went by. Where was she going? Finally, he realized. The panic room.

Wolves scattered as she entered. Sampson made sure they all left and watched from the doorway as she settled behind some boxes in the back corner. Sharilyn poked her head in and looked over the room. She went in far enough to see where her Alpha had settled. Stephanie growled at her. The noise stopped as she held her breath. [Time, Derek.]

[Nine twenty three.]

"Healer?"

Sharilyn looked at the pack's Beta. Sampson seemed a bit anxious. "We need the light turned down; she'll want them dim. And someone should bring her bedclothes so she can nest."

"I'll get water. Did she growl at you?"

"Yes."

"It would be good if we could find someone she'd accept."

"How about Amanda?"

"Doubtful. Too dominant."

"Shirley?"

"Maybe."

He was going to ask something further but noticed she was listening intently. He waited. Waited. Was about to ask. [Time, Derek.]

[Nine twenty nine.]

"Six minutes. Early stage labor."

Harris stopped by and set up a ladder. Sampson watched him unscrew three of the four bulbs in the room. The fourth, in the corner adjacent to the Alpha, was replaced with a lower wattage bulb. He scurried out. Stephanie had growled the entire time.

Shirley brought the sheets from the Alpha's bed. Nope, still growling. The floor was wooden so she slid them across the floor. Stephanie's head snapped to the side and she snarled when they touched her. However, after scenting the material, she pulled them the rest of the way over.

An adolescent female brought the water. More growling.

Sampson sighed. "Maybe I should call her sister."

"That's a long drive for something that may not work through I'm sure they'd like to know. Probably best done after she's birthed the pup."

Sharilyn kept a discreet eye on her Alpha and Sampson managed the pack. Esmerelda plated up some items that Stephanie preferred in case she might care to eat something.

Hours passed.

The Ross Alpha whined occasionally but her labor was not progressing much. Sharilyn was well experienced, had delivered pups for the past 42 years, including all of Sabine's. Sabine had trouble, though, with all of her pregnancies. Stillbirths were always a tragedy but were worse for the pack when it was the Alpha's pups. She had been truly afraid when she had pulled the first dead pup, a male, from the Madam Alpha's body. Afraid she would be punished.

She debated calling Dr. Worthy.

The room wasn't completed yet and was beginning to get close and stuffy. Sharilyn called for a fan to move the air around.

Sampson came by to check on things as his mate arrived with the fan. The room was of a decent size, about 30 by 20, and Phillip had entered partway, checking for the flow of the air. He glanced over, to where he knew his Alpha was, and realized the waterbowl was empty.

He walked over so he could grab and fill it. [Phil, no.]

Sampson and Sharilyn waited, listening; there was no growl.

Sharilyn rushed in, thinking the Alpha might have lost consciousness. No, thank Luna, the growl came as she closed.

As she backed away, she sent [She's accepting him.]

Sampson said, quietly, "Go ahead, Phillip."

Phil continued over, stooping to pick up the bowl. [Cold.] "Yes, Alpha."

[She spoke?]

As he walked out toward them, he said, "Yeah, just one word. Cold. She wants cold water. It's hot in here."

Phil left and returned with a bowl of ice water.

Stephanie laid her head down and whined quietly. Hearing the distress, he moved over and stroked along her spine, her head. [I've heard it hurts a lot but when you're done the pack will have another pup. I know you can do it. You can do anything. Tell us what you want.]

Stephanie just laid there, panting.

Twelve hours. One thirty in the morning.

Things had progressed somewhat. The contractions were about four minutes now. Sharilyn did call the doctor, who asked some questions. He was not overly concerned. She wasn't bleeding or in any serious distress. He told the healer to call back if she hadn't delivered in another 12 hours, or if she took a turn for the worse.

It angered and frustrated Sampson that he wouldn't come to attend their Alpha but Dr. Worthy was not of their pack and couldn't be compelled to come.

Phil was curled up on the floor, where he could see her. He changed out the platters of food, got her more water, and stood between her and the door when she relieved herself. For whatever reason, she felt more comfortable with him nearby. Sampson wondered why.

Nineteen hours. The sun had been up for three and the temperature was beginning to rise.

The pack was moving quietly in the den, wandering by, curious.

The whining, the contractions, were a bit more frequent but the pup still showed no signs of appearing soon.

Sampson called the Wyeth pack, looking for some assurance that things were OK. That they wouldn't lose their Alpha.

It was closing on ten in the morning when the female Betas of Wyeth approached the Ross den. Sampson met them at the side door. "Ariel sends her good wishes but didn't think it would be a good idea to approach the Madam Alpha at this time."

"Alpha."

"Excuse me?"

"Our Alpha."

"Of course, I'm sorry." He looked tired. Lyssa looked at the Ross Beta, saw the worry and anxiety in his eyes. "Beta? Is everything OK?"

He inhaled, exhaled, closed his eyes. "Our healer is beginning to worry but Dr. Worthy seems unconcerned."

Madeline piped up. "How long has she been at it?"

"Closing on a full day."

Madeline looked at him. "That's long but not crazy long. I've seen females go over thirty hours delivering a pup."

They walked deeper into the den. He stopped dead. "My manners." He turned to him. "Would you care for something?"