What We Once Were Ch. 01

Story Info
Iris is captured by demon army.
2k words
4.21
13.4k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Iris peered into the cold starry night, inhaling the smell of ozone from the lightning storm that had just passed. Atop what she took to be an old grocery store from it's faded signs, an eerie quiet reigned. Alone with her thoughts, she leaned on the ledge of the roof and peered out to the city her people were no longer part of. Once upon a time this city had been a powerful metropolis, an economic booming dwelling for thousands of humans. Now all that remained were roads built for cars that no longer traversed them, old faded billboards selling products that not even the best scavengers could find anymore and stores boarded up as if the occupants were coming back.

They weren't though, she was starting to admit this. It was almost laughable thinking back to those people who thought the war would be over so quickly, that they could just tack some bits of plywood to their businesses, walk away for a few months and then come back as if nothing had happened. As if demons did not chose this millennium to finally show themselves and make their presence known. As if the apocalypse had not finally come to prey on them all.

However much it hurt the rebellion, Iris was finding it harder to convince herself that things were going to get better, that the world could recover after being overrun by the creatures that had destroyed so much of her race. This city had been a beautiful place, if what the older people said was true. It had been a place she would have wanted to live and love and grow old in, but no more.

She couldn't exactly remember what it looked like, since the destruction had occurred when she was little older than four years of age. More details seemed to be forgotten with each passing year, finding it harder to even remember back to a time when humans could still walk above ground. Back before they weren't crouched and hiding like rats in the underground tunnel systems. It was only a matter of time until they too were exterminated, as they had proved to be nothing more than pests to their new rulers.

Iris breathed in the night air, trying to capture the memory of how it felt to be outside, under the dark sky. She shouldn't be here, it was against the rules. Rules that she ordinarily enforced. Rules put in place to protect them, the last remaining people in their city, perhaps in the whole world. It not only exposed herself to the demons lurking out there but everyone else as well.

Lately though, she had found herself getting lax about security, going on more hunts through the city for supplies, slipping out above ground more often, forgetting to sleep when her body needed the rest. Despite this though, Iris did what she could to carry out their message, going through the motions and doing what any good daughter of the leader of the rebellion ought to do.

He was dead though, her father had died trying to protect her. She fingered the dogtags she wore around her neck that had once belonged to her father. He had been ex-military, very protective, the hero they had all needed. More importantly though, he had been her entire world. Five years ago, she lost him in a battle against the demons who had taken over their world.

Only a year later, she lost her boyfriend to another raid. After that, she just stopped caring. The world she had barely known was gone and soon she would be too. Acceptance was the only thing left.

The sound of sirens going off in the distance brought her out of her memories. She listened, making out which direction the danger was coming from and which way it was headed. As she bolted for the ladder attached to the side of the building, Iris muttered a single word mixed with emotions of resigned annoyance and the need to act quickly, "Shit."

Overhead, she could hear helicopters moving towards the building she was scrambling to vacate. The spotlight was passing over a nearby apartment complex that hadn't been used in years, slowly, searching for anything that moved. Using the few precious seconds Iris had before the spotlight came towards her and she was spotted, she held onto the side bars of the ladder and took the rungs three at a time, performing a controlled slide down to the ground.

After landing, Iris started to sneak away, staying as close to the side of the alleyway as possible so as not to be detected by the passing helicopter. Ducking under a balcony, she caught her breath. Despite her own angst, something had finally clicked inside her. The last vestiges of self-preservation convinced her to keep going. There was no way she was going to let these things kill her, no way she was going to let them win.

The spotlight stopped right above the alleyway, causing her to hold her breath, praying not to be found out. It hovered there, blowing wind into the alleyway. Iris tried to make herself small, tried to stay frozen in spot and not attract attention, anything to make them go away.

Iris had been above ground a few times this month, but this was the first she had come across anyone else, the first time she had been spotted. Silently, she cursed herself for being so careless.

"Come on out," A male voice sounded over the helicopter's loudspeaker, "We know where you're hiding and our enforcement unit is closing in on you." Backing up his words, the sirens that she had heard in the far distance minutes ago now seemed to be coming from the next street. "Make this easier on yourself and don't think about running. Reserve your energy, you'll need it."

"Oh, fuck that." Iris shook her head once before she headed out from the overhanging balcony and started running down the alleyway. The streets were still wet and somewhat slippery, as she splashed across puddles. Her pants quickly got drenched but she paid them no mind and just brushed her long blond hair out of her face and kept going.

There was no place she could run to however, she refused to go back home. That would lead them straight back to the rebellion and to those she cared about and felt the need to protect. No, this was her fault, her problem.

When she was little her father had encased survival methods in carefully written bedtime stories. One of her favorites was about a rabbit who was playing out in open fields, despite warnings not to. Then one day the rabbit was sniffed out by a hunter's dog. It ran back home, with the dog following it's lead. It lead the dog right to it's dinner that night, four juicy bite-sized rabbits for it to gnaw on. While she thought back on it, Iris noticed how completely fucked up telling that story to a five-year-old kid was, but it still had a point. An important point that was unfortunately leaving her with no place to go.

The helicopter followed her, the spotlight blinding her as she continued running down the street. She tried to break into a few of the stores, but fear urged her to keep going when she couldn't get through the boarded up doors or windows the first time. The sirens were coming closer, zeroing in on her. Most likely, the men in the helicopter were using a radio to tell the troops on the ground her location. It was only a matter of time in that case, outnumbered as she was today.

Tripping over the curb, Iris fell onto the pavement. Her ankle contorted in pain, but luckily it wasn't broken. She grimaced as she picked herself up. Giving the finger to the demons above her, Iris tried to keep up her previous pace. In a surprise move, the spotlights went out and the street was bathed in darkness. She felt the flashlight bobbing against her leg in her pants, but refused to take it out and give away her position.

Briefly, she wondered if demons could see in the dark. They probably had better vision then she did at any rate, she scowled. She put her hands out in front of her, grasping for a direction in which to go. As long as she didn't bump into anything, Iris convinced herself she would be okay. The sirens were behind her now, making her ears ache with their unceasing call.

Then they turned off and a pair of headlights flashed on. She surveyed her situation in the light now. The big army truck behind her and the brick wall on her other three sides. Iris let out a distressed groan. She had run into a dead end.

"Put your hands on your head and turn around," One of the creatures said as it exited the truck and slammed the door shut. She could hear guns being cocked in her direction and it took all the strength of will she had to turn around. If she was going to be killed, they would have to shoot her in the chest, any other way would be cowardly.

It was the first time she had seen these things in person. Despite all the stories she had heard that made them out to be the epitome of gruesome and disgusting, evil slimy things with mouths big enough to swallow babies, they had an almost human appearance. The horns gave them away though, pointed black things, three on each temple of their forehead. As one of the armed demons came closer, still pointing its gun at her, she could make out the slight point of the ears.

"Put your hands on your head," the demon repeated it's order, voice smooth and calm but intensely demanding. It pointed the gun at her head, only a few steps away from her, "Do it. Now."

When she continued to stand there motionless, mirroring the demon's own calm demeanor despite the fact that her heart was pounding in her chest, it reached out suddenly and grabbed her long blond hair. With forward momentum, he knocked her to the ground, slamming her face into the pavement. She grunted as the air left her lungs, and inhaled in a shaking breath as the thing made her kneel before him.

With one hand placed on her shoulders, pushing her into the ground, the creature struggled to place her hands in metal restraints. All the while she bit her tongue from crying out, not wanting to give these demons the benefit of her fear. When he grabbed her left wrist, he shown his flashlight on the small design etched into her skin with black ink.

"Commander, I think we have another," he shouted over to the demon standing beside the truck. Iris twisted away, but could not get up the momentum to struggle away from the demon holding her in kneeling position.

The commander came over towards her, looked at the tattoo on her wrist and nodded, "Good work, Thanatos. That is indeed the symbol of the rebellion." He lightly brushed the two circles with his finger before locking her wrist into the restraints. "She'll fetch a nice price at auction."

Iris struggled as they lifted her to her feet, her mind racing with thoughts of running away. Whatever this auction was, she certainly didn't want to be a part of it. She wanted death now more than ever, but refused to beg them for it. She marched with as much grace as she could muster to the back of the truck. As the commanding officer opened up the cargo doors for her, Iris stuck out her chin stubbornly.

He pointed with his gun to the empty cargo area and gave a simple order, "Get in."

When she stood there, silently refusing, the two demons lifted her in to the back of the truck. Once inside, Iris grudgingly choose a seat against the wall, trying to arrange her hands that were cuffed behind her into a more comfortable seating position.

The doors slammed shut, leaving her in complete darkness. After a moment, she felt the truck lurch forward and start off down the road. Without her training she would have chosen this moment to start crying. Instead, Iris went over escape plans in her head, preparing for every contingency.

To Be Continued...