Wheeling Park Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ameaner
Ameaner
1,256 Followers

"You comin? Leslie might be getting a little uncomfortable out there, you know."

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

He wasn't kidding about the slideshow. We suffered through it, Liv and Mom making pretenses at how impressed they were while Jen just sat, glancing at me sitting beside her on the couch while I tried to pretend I didn't notice.

It was mostly pictures of dad and/or Leslie standing around all the expected scenes, such as the Eiffel Tower, one of the Queen's Royal Guards at his guardhouse, several mimes, etc..

Leslie sat on the edge of the couch on my other side, paying close attention to the TV as if she never saw the presentation before now. She was one of those women who always had a smile that seemed to say, 'Awwww, isn't that nice?', and reminded me of one of the janitors at university, whom I'd privately nicknamed, 'stick figure lady'. I found it pretty hard to believe that this was the package of excitement he left Mom for.

But then I realized, while pretending I was interested in how many miles their pedometer said they'd walked on their trip, that this could very well be why he'd brought her along. Relationships change, even I knew that. Sometimes what starts out as a whirlwind experience eventually starts to dull down and people change before you know it.

Now, here's Mom wearing makeup, snappy clothes, suddenly a total babe and now a lesbian with an attractive, assertive woman who takes her out on her Harley Davidson. How exciting is that?

My smile got wider the more I thought about that as Dad did his mime act for us, even though this very strong theory didn't solve the immediate problem that he represented. If anything, he'd want to come around more often now.

Also on the down side, I could clearly see him keeping an eye on Jen. Who kept looking at me. If Mom and Olivia prepped her for this visit, it obviously wasn't enough and Dad had clearly twigged in to the fact that she wasn't a very happy camper. That's until I get there, her mood lightens a bit and she keeps looking at me. My smile faded a little as I wondered if he'd noticed that yet. I wondered if Mom filled Olivia in on what went on while she was out forcibly abducting me. I wondered if this wasn't a good time for a cigarette.

I excused myself and, grabbing my jacket, walked through the kitchen, also grabbing another shot on the way out to the rear deck.

I puffed away in my untied army boots and stared at the snow covered RV. After a few minutes, Olivia joined me.

"What do you think?" she asked in an 'all business' tone. She was still pretty unhappy with me.

"Somebody's gotta get Jen to stop staring at me. We can't have any more of that, at all. What happened when you were gone?"

"Nothing important, mostly just the karaoke. Your mother never left them alone."

"Good."

"So?"

"So, what?" I asked, choosing to stare balefully at the RV, rather than look at her.

"So, what do you think?" she testily clarified.

"I think this is a very bad fuckin' situation, Olivia."

"No kiddin, what are we going to do about it?"

"Ride it out. You and Mom have nothing to hide and that's more or less what I told him when he asked. As for the rest of it, that's something he'd never imagine in a million years. As long as Jen doesn't give us away, we'll be good, but he'll bring her up sooner or later."

"None of this keeps him away."

"We might not be able to do that without arousing suspicion, but I'm working on it.

"There's something else about Jen," she brought up. "You and her aren't speaking. That's not normal, is it?"

"No," I sighed. "But I don't think I can handle talking to her right now, and I'm pretty sure she couldn't."

"Well, you'd better do something about it because he's definitely sharp enough-"

"What are you doing? Am I in this on my own, or what?"

"I'm the one watching Jen and your Mom while you deal with your father!" she hissed.

"Yeah?" I hissed back. "Well, that's great, cause now you got a new job! Get them acting natural and make it look like it's something Dad did or said, so his ego will blind him to the change in their attitudes!" And don't let him alone with any of us! Help me here, I shouldn't have to tell you this shit!"

"Shut up! This is all your fuckin' fault, you little creep!"

"Yeah, yeah, shit!" I sneered at the RV.

"You just make sure you get the job done!" she warned. "He's a slippery bugger and he has a lot of interest in us that goes beyond Jen, in case you haven't noticed!"

"Believe me, I've noticed. Be on your toes during supper, that's when he'll probably get aggressive."

"How do you know?"

"Because he always did. Whenever we were in trouble, whenever we had a family meeting, whenever he was curious about whatever, he always brought it up at supper. Just pay attention to what's goin' on at the table and don't get in my way unless I need support."

"What are you going to do?"

For the first time I looked at her a moment before exhaling a cloud of blue cigarette smoke into the dark, cold, Winter air.

"I don't know yet."

She didn't answer and there was a short silence between us, which she broke.

"Jarid."

"Yeah."

" ... I can't let you go back. One way or another, you're staying here."

She walked back inside before I could reply to this.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

She did it. She got them aside very naturally after the stupid slideshow and got them with the program. Mom was more Human and, while Jen still wasn't saying much, at least she wasn't staring at me anymore. Mom and Olivia actually even got up and did a karaoke duet to, I got you babe, Mom doing a great imitation of Cher with the accent and swinging her hair around. Olivia sang and acted as Sonny quite entertainingly, yet the performance wasn't without a subtle sex appeal, especially the lingering kiss they shared after. Even Jen and I smiled as we clapped at this. Dad and Leslie goggled, actually managing to do it politely.

By the time Mom and Jen emerged from the Kitchen with the turkey, calling everyone to the table, my atmosphere was pretty well set.

I caught Dad moving for the head of the table, the only chair that had arms, as I somehow knew he'd have the nerve to do. I waited until he put his hand on the back to pull it out.

"That's Olivia's seat," I informed him casually as I walked past. "Mom sits at the other end."

" ... Oh."

Mom looked up at this, but didn't say anything, probably as per Olivia's instructions as the older woman walked easily to her seat, smiling warmly at me. At least I could count on her to play a part. Mom served her first, as she always did serve that place at the table first when Dad occupied it. Yes, a nice subtle little message as to where he stood that might keep him in check.

It was a great setting, candles and everything. Mom and Olivia had really dolled themselves up for the occasion, too, with informal evening attire and perfect hair and makeup. While they sat at each end of the table, Jen and I sat beside each other, Dad and Leslie on the other side, he directly across from me.

I really didn't have much of an appetite, what with all that was going on and my liquid diet of the day. I was still buzzed quite nicely, though, and settled into the atmosphere of the job at hand.

Olivia carved the turkey while I watched Dad.

"You got enough turkey, princess?" he asked Jen, trying to steal a little of the thunder I'd set Olivia up with.

"Yes," she replied with a pasted smile.

"Jarid?" he asked.

"I'm good."

"So, tell me about this girlfriend of yours, champ. Betcha she's pretty, eh?"

"Yes, she is. I don't think she's my girlfriend anymore, though," I replied, watching Jen look at me out of the corner of my eye.

"Uh oh. What happened?"

"I did something,... stupid. I guess."

"What's that?"

"I didn't think I was ready for the way she felt about me."

"Ahh, my son the heartbreaker," he chuckled. "Don't worry, there's plenty of fish in the sea."

"I can't look at it that way."

"What do you mean?"

"It's not funny, disappointing people and hurting them like I did. I like to think I'm above that kind of betrayal,... I didn't do it lightly and she was no ordinary fish in the sea, at all. I love her. A lot."

"You'll get over it. You'll meet someone else before you know it and fall in love all over again. Jen, you got a boyfriend?"

"No," she said, shaking her head.

"Pretty girl like you? I find that hard to believe."

"My studies,...", she explained, finally looking away from me.

"Studies? From the looks of your midterms, I'd think you've been dating the entire first semester away," he observed.

She didn't answer, instead only kept eating while he watched her for a moment, chewing thoughtfully.

"How were your marks this term, Jarid? Your mother said she doesn't know. That bad?"

"I aced them," I said, not offering a reason why Mom didn't know. That could only look like an excuse for her and only liars and those with something to hide were quick to offer up unsolicited excuses.

"Good for you, champ! How's hockey, Jen?"

"Good," she toned.

" ... Hm."

He had the scent of blood. I could see it, here in his favourite arena as clearly as I could see that he'd had it for a little while now.

A few minutes went by where we all simply ate in relative silence as I surreptitiously watched dad. The gears in his head were spinning fast enough to blow a seal as he appeared to enjoy his mashed potatoes.

"Should we tell them now, dear?" Leslie half whispered to Dad in that little silvery, tinkle bell voice of hers.

Dad practically jumped, he was thinking so hard.

"Huh? Oh,... yes, of course, my little leibchien. (ahem) Uhh, I have a happy announcement to make," he said, his sub-demeanor, for want of a better term, leading me to believe that he either wasn't entirely happy about whatever news he had, or that he had bigger fish to fry at that time.

"Leslie's pregnant," I stated casually, picking up a bite sized slab of white meat with my fork, popping it into my mouth as if my assumption was only common sense.

Everybody looked at me as they froze, Mom with her fork halfway to her mouth. Leslie's jaw sagged a little while Dad stared. It was only a hunch, but it was obviously correct, not that it would have mattered even if it wasn't.

"I imagine that must be pretty exciting for you," I went on with the same half interested tone while methodically loading the tines of my fork with peas. "At least for now."

That sealed his attention squarely on me, which is what I had to have because I knew he'd be back at Jen, sooner than later. When I finally and nonchalantly looked him in the eyes, he returned an offended, yet uncertain expression for a few silent moments before speaking in a quietly intense voice.

"What do you mean?"

"Three AM feeding adventures for weeks and weeks, running out for diapers at the most inconvenient times and the like. Plus, the thing about how it's the end of your whole life and freedom and stuff. Well, that's how it seems at my age, anyway. Congrats."

" ... Appreciated, champ. Yes, we are pregnant, by the way, and very happy about it. ... You've changed."

"Have I?" I asked.

"Yes you have. Son,... are you sniffing marijuana?"

Do I have to even tell you what happened next? Let's just say it was the best thing he could have come out with. I actually did try not to laugh, as I'm sure Mom and Olivia did, but it was the shocked expression on Leslie's face while looking at me, the pot sniffer, that set me off.

He looked from one to another of us with an indignant expression, even Jen, who sat with her hand over her mouth, looking down into her lap.

"What?" he asked, making us laugh all the harder.

He was red faced and very unimpressed by the time I managed, "Dad, people don't sniff marijuana, they smoke it."

"And how would you know that?" he demanded.

"Oh Kevin," Mom dismissed with lingering amusement, "everybody knows that."

"Did you know?" he asked Leslie.

She shook her head and he looked around at the rest of us from within his little triumph.

"So, how far along are you?" Olivia asked Leslie with her own amused smile.

This was good. He'd lost credibility at the table and that might be enough to keep him silent and off Jen for a while. Even better, Olivia knew right when to jump in and exactly how to diffuse the situation, obviously seeing what was accomplished as I did. She wasn't in the dark by any means, she only wanted me, Dad's, 'chip off the ol block', as she'd put it, to lead our opposition because I knew him better and she didn't have the position. But, that was about to change.

"I'm seven weeks along," Leslie answered, suddenly getting the full force of Olivia's special charm.

"That's roughly seven and a half months from now," she estimated while shifting her weight, casually resting one hand on the arm of her chair, elbow sticking prominently out at her side and effectively accentuating the fact that she held the seat of the head of the household. "Any kids before this?"

"No."

"How old are you, if I might ask?" Olivia inquired, her eyes glancing briefly at Leslie's chest.

"Uhh,... thirty-four."

"He caught you just in time, eh? Well, I suppose you had a little more time. Trudy, what's the general cut off rate that doctors recommend for child bearing?"

"Forty," Mom said after swallowing her mouthful of food. "Prime childbearing years are between age sixteen and twenty-five. After that, the risk of Down Syndrome escalates with each year."

"If it's a boy, you should name it after Dad," I told Leslie, because timing is everything and I couldn't resist the implication.

"Nah," Olivia disagreed, once again paving over my innocent remark with conversation, just as she should. "They end up with 'Jr.' every time. Believe me, I know."

"I don't see anything wrong with Junior," Dad said, trying to regain some face and looking straight at me.

"It's your kid," Olivia shrugged, that getting his attention.

"I'm with Dad on that," I said, effectively trapping him with his own words and distracting him from Olivia's advance in turn, keeping him off balance.

"Jen, honey, would you please pass the gravy?" Mom asked, the model student of all that was Martha Stewart at the moment, as if the battle of subtlety at our end of the table wasn't happening. "Thank you. Will you two be going on another trip while you have the chance?"

" ... No," Dad answered, making an obvious effort to simmer down while I appeared to be following the conversation with only a passing interest, idly picking at the food on my plate as if time stopped at my will.

"Probably a lot of work to do with the nursery and such," Olivia assumed, nodding her head in understanding before popping a forkful of mashed potatoes into her mouth.

He mumbled a convenient confirmation before concentrating on his meal while the rest of us made pleasant small talk for a while.

"I don't want to wear an old snowsuit, Liv," Mom refused about the time we were half finished with a little smile on her face, knowing she was being unreasonable.

"Sug, you'll freeze. Nobody worries about what they look like on skidoos. Jen has no problem wearing one, do you Jen?"

"Nope," Jen replied.

"See? You gotta wear skidoo boots, too, it gets cold when you're ripping along through the powder."

"I'll look like the Michelin Man."

"No, you'll look like a big kid, and that's the whole point of our two days, right?"

"I suppose," Mom reluctantly agreed.

"You want to be comfortable on an outing like that, Trudy."

"Sounds like fun," Dad offered. "You going, Jarid?"

"Depends on work," I answered, knowing nothing of these plans until that conversation.

"Oh. You're pretty driven, aren't you? You must be. I have to say, I'm impressed."

"Thanks, Dad," I sincerely returned, waiting for what he was going to try sneaking in behind that.

"You listened to me and it shows. Tell me,... How are you doing with your little, uh,... social disability? Ever since that homosexual incident at high school, I've been wondering- well, I'm concerned, of course. What did Dr. Funta conclude after his sessions with you?"

I have to say, that blindsided me. Even Jen didn't know about those sessions.

"I'm sorry, is that a sensitive topic for you?" he asked in the exact same manner in which I was attacking him earlier, resulting in the same sudden silence. "I assumed everyone here would know, I hope correctly, champ."

I sat, suddenly immobilized by the very disability he mentioned, also fearing that someone else would react to this beyond my own silent loss of composure. I couldn't really blame him. It was the same dirty tactics I'd used and he sure executed them well.

But then,... I understood pride and all the weaknesses that come with it, free to be exploited by an adversary in the know, and that's exactly what this boiled down to, even if he didn't realize it.

I decided to find out if he did. I made this decision as I watched the growing and well deserved satisfaction on his face as he glanced at Jen, who was now openly regarding my profile, and put my own pride away. I began to allow my face to gradually, un-noticeably become passive and blank. I'm very good at this and, if I had the slightest interest in poker, at least enough to bother learning the rules,... well, you get the picture.

"Oh,..." he said in a surprised tone. Nobody told Jen. I can see why, I guess. What was it you told the kid? Ummm,... oh yeah: 'Come back and talk to me when you finally decide to do the world a favour and hang yourself, I'll tie your noose and kick your chair.' Wow. At the time, I couldn't believe you'd say something like that, but looking at you now, I can kind of see it. Of course, I'm interested in hearing Dr. Funta's conclusions."

"Well, I've never put much faith in head doctors," I replied, having regained my composure. "I wouldn't worry about what he said."

" ... Is it something you don't want to share?"

"Not much point to repeating bullshit."

"No harm in it either, if it's not true."

"Whatever. Once you work past all his psychobabble and blind theories, I have abandonment issues. Oh, I know," I replied to his sudden change in expression. "It's pretty hard to believe, eh? I'm really not that type, I don't think. Personally, I think I'm just an antisocial fuck, just like everyone else says."

"Is that really an appropriate thing to say at the table, on Christmas Eve at that?"

"I didn't say it, I told you that's what everyone else says and I'm inclined to agree."

"Doesn't seem to bother you much."

"Beats the hell outta having abandonment issues," I returned, carelessly finishing off my potatoes.

After a pause he asked, "Do you have a problem?"

"Clarify."

"Gladly. I was surprised to find you weren't here when we first showed up, and now here you suddenly are." he noted, glancing at Olivia. "And, since you got here, you've been unreasonably hostile towards me. I also notice that you and Jenifer aren't speaking and I'm wondering what the hell is up with you."

I looked at Jen, she back at me for a moment before I turned back to face him.

"Jen and I aren't getting along right now."

"It must have been something to make you come up with some lie about a girlfriend who loved you too much in order to avoid coming home for Christmas."

"That's the price one pays for being antisocial. Jen and I will be alright, we've had our fights and differences before."

"What was this one about?"

"Her grades. I said some nasty things."

"Yeah, what's up with that? She doesn't seem very happy, does she?"

"That's her business," I asserted.

"Maybe I should ask her."

"Maybe you should."

"As soon as I'm done with you, champ. Just as soon as I'm done with you. You still haven't told me what your problem is."

Ameaner
Ameaner
1,256 Followers