When Sara Met Nyssa Pt. 01

Story Info
The untold Arrow story of Sara and Nyssa.
3.3k words
3.6
6.9k
6
0

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/17/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is an AU take on events regarding how Sara and Nyssa met in Arrow. Given the significant relationship between the two, it's somewhat disappointing that their past isn't explored more in a series that involves constant flashbacks. Some events are altered for ease of storytelling. Constructive criticism is welcome- bashing is not. Both Nyssa and Sara are in their early 20s.

The first part of the story is character and relationship development, with limited eroticism and sexual content. Fear not, there will be plenty of that coming soon!

*****

Sara Lance was barely conscious when she washed ashore on Nanda Parbat. She was dehydrated, exhausted, and had no idea where she was. She had survived the storm by clinging to a piece of The Queen's Gambit for her dear life, and she was now just thankful to be alive. All her other problems could wait, she told herself.

Like Oliver. Last she had seen him, he had been on a raft with his father, reaching for her, when the swirling waves forced her away from her boyfriend. Had he survived? If so, did he still believe that she was alive, or had he assumed she had drowned, as she very nearly had?

She crawled toward the shore. There was lots of dirt and vegetation nearby- a forest, it looked like. That meant fresh water was nearby, she reasoned. Her muscles trembled as she crawled. She felt cold and miserable. How long had she been tossed around by the sea? Minutes, hours, days? The dark skies had given no indication of passing time, and she hadn't been completely lucid most of the time she was awake, as dehydration and lack of rest took their toll on her.

No idea how to start a fire or hunt for food. This could be rough if I'm here alone- hopefully there are people nearby.

"Hello?" she shouted in a hoarse voice.

Nyssa Al Ghul was on patrol duty in the forest when she heard the nearby voice. One would think that the Daughter of the Demon did not have to patrol the land surrounding the League of Assassins headquarters. However, Ra's Al Ghul would not bear any favoring of his daughter- which Nyssa found somewhat amusing. If there was one thing Nyssa could attest to, it was certainly that her father did not grant her any preferential treatment.

Nyssa al Ghul was dressed in a forest camouflage variation of her typical leathers, armed with both bow and scimitar. The fact that someone had just carelessly spoken in such a manner alarmed and intrigued her. No fellow League member would bother with social niceties while on duty- nor would he reveal his position so carelessly. At the same time, no enemy of the League would shout "hello," either.

Nyssa moved like a wraith toward the sound of the voice. Climbing a tree, she spotted a limp form up ahead on the shore. Blonde hair and female. She was soaked to the bone and looked in poor shape.

Nyssa pursed her lips. If this was an enemy scouting out her father's headquarters, she was a rather poor scout. Was it possible that she had washed ashore by sheer dumb luck? It was unlikely, as Nanda Parbot was a remote location, but it was indeed possible. If that was the case, Nyssa pitied the woman. She couldn't have found a worse place to wash ashore.

She could move in a bit closer, put an arrow in the woman, and the problem would be solved. That would be her father's solution- a quick way to deal with the fact that someone had discovered the League's location.

But Nyssa was curious- how had this woman ended up here, of all places? She suspected it would be easier to get answers with honey than vinegar. She came down the tree and stashed her armor and weapons nearby, but carefully out of sight. She brought with her only a small vial of smelling salts, something the League members carried during training sessions for when things got a little rough.

Sara woke to a nauseating smell- had she passed out? A beautiful brunette woman hovered over her, holding a vial of something. She appeared to be dressed in a white tank top and leather pants.

"Um, hi. Who are you?" Sara asked. "Do you live here?"

"My name is Nyssa. And yes. You look like you've been through a lot. Come with me- I will bring you to my home. As we walk, why don't you tell me how you wound up here."

"It's a short story. My boyfriend and I were on a yacht on the South China Sea when a storm hit us and we got shipwrecked. I managed to hold onto some wreckage until I wound up here. My name is Sara."

"You're on the island of Nanda Parbot, a very remote location. We don't have much in the way of technology on the island...but we can spare you food, shelter, and a change of clothes."

"Thank you. I thought I was going to be like Tom Hanks in Castaway, making friends with a volleyball." At Nyssa's blank look, she said, "Never seen it? Great movie."

"We will be at the monastery in a matter of minutes," Nyssa stated as they walked. "I need to change back into my...formal attire. Would you mind giving me privacy for a moment?"

"Um. Sure," Sara said, nose wrinkling in confusion. She turned her back on Nyssa, figuring the woman had a change of clothes somewhere. "So you...are part of a monastic order? A nun, then?"

"Not quite." There was a brief, musical laugh. "If there is one thing I should not be described as, it's a nun. You may turn around now- I am decent."

Nyssa knew Sara wouldn't take the deception well. The question was how badly she'd take it.

Sara let out a startled sound and took an alarmed step back. "Why are you dressed like some sort of medieval warrior?" she asked suspiciously. "What is with the weapons?"

"I am sorry for the deception, Sara. You are on the island of Nanda Parbot, home to the League of Assassins. You must either join us...or die," Nyssa said sorrowfully.

Sara took another step back. "You're...you're crazy!" she sputtered. "Help! Somebody help me!" she yelled.

Nyssa tackled the young woman and pinned her down onto her stomach. Her legs rested on the woman's back, while she used her hands to set Sara up in a sleeper hold.

When Sara woke up, she was bound and gagged in a fetal position, in a room lit only by braziers. Her body rested on rough stone. Before her stood Nyssa- if that was even her real name. And an older man sat in a polished throne, his hair dark with tinges of gray.

"This is highly unusual, Nyssa. League policy is to kill uninvited guests, and this woman certainly does not look like she wishes to join the League, despite your claims," the man said in an irritated voice. But perhaps we should hear your guest speak for herself and resolve the matter, hmm? Looks like she is awake now."

Sara was startled by the perceptiveness of the man- he hadn't paid her any attention whatsoever. Nyssa marched over to her and knelt down beside Sara. "Say that you wish to join the League and become an assassin," she hissed as she undid the gag from Sara's mouth. "It is your only chance for survival. If you claim anything else, my father and his men will immediately kill you."

Sara's eyes narrowed in anger. This woman had lied to her and kidnapped her- she had no wish to do anything she told her to. And yet, she also didn't want to die. She still held out hope that Oliver was out there somehow, and if she made it through this somehow she would figure out how to reunite with him.

"I wish to join the League," Sara gasped.

Ra's Al Ghul looked at the two women skeptically. "This is a farce, and you know it," he said, his attention returning to Nyssa. His gaze switched to Sara. "Why are you interested in becoming an assassin.

Nyssa began to speak, but Ra's held up a hand to silence her. "I don't want to die," Sara whispered.

"That is an excellent start, but not enough. Kill her," Ra's said dismissively.

Sara gasped.

"Father, wait! You have nothing to lose by giving her a chance. If she is not worthy to join, the training will prove it. She is not a threat."

Ra's was silent. "I'm not worried about her so much as how soft you are, Nyssa. I've raised you better than this." Nyssa hung her head. "You are right, however. She will begin training tomorrow. You may spend today showing her around the island and familiarizing her with her new life. But Nyssa? This is the last time I shall indulge you like this. Do not expect future "guests" to our island to receive such favored treatment. Regardless of how you feel toward them."

Sara almost bit back an angry retort, but stopped herself. She looked at Nyssa...was she blushing?

Nyssa kneeled and bowed her head. "I live to serve," she said solemnly, then got up and gestured for her to follow. Sara reluctantly did so, recognizing this woman seemed her only hope for survival.

Sara was silent as they walked- partially to observe her surroundings, but also because she was bitter over Nyssa's betrayal. Nyssa seemed to pick up on this, for she spun around when they were alone and hissed, "You should be showing me some gratitude for saving your life!"

"Saving my- you lied to me and brought me to a den of killers!" Sara shot back.

"There is no means off this island not controlled by my father. Some initiates into the League of Shadows get cold feet and try to leave. My father has always found them- and their deaths are by no means quick and painless. You can hate me all you want- but your only hope for survival is to learn to become an assassin, however appalling you find the idea."

In one fluid motion, Nyssa drew a knife and hurled it. She shouted something in an unknown language, and a figure dressed in black stepped forward, clutching the knife. He responded in the same language, bowing reverently, and Nyssa reluctantly took the knife back, not looking happy.

"What's going on?" Sara asked worriedly.

"My father ordered one of his men to keep an eye on us," Nyssa said sourly. "There is nothing I can do about it. I suppose I should show you around."

"What language were you speaking?"

"Arabic. It is the official language of our organization. It will be one of many things you will be required to learn."

"In addition to how to kill people, I presume," Sara said bitterly.

"Eventually. However, you have a ways to go before you have to worry about such things. Initiates start off doing chores for the League members- sharpening weapons, preparing food, cleaning the floors...nothing you should find morally apprehensible."

"Why did you become an assassin?"

Nyssa gave a bitter laugh. "I am the Daughter of the Demon. I was never given a choice in what my future held. You should be grateful you have had even a taste of freedom, a chance to choose your own path in the world."

"That's...I'm sorry. I had no idea."

"We shall speak no more of it," Nyssa said brusquely as they left the darkened confines of the stone temple and ventured back into the sunny outdoors. "Most of the island is forest." She pointed toward a helipad with a chopper on it. "Like I said, there are only a limited number of ways off this island, and my father controls them all. This is one of them. Can you pilot a helicopter?"

Sara reluctantly shook her head.

"It's just as well. My father has surface-to-air missiles which would shoot you down. All of the boats that my father owns are also well-guarded, and you would be shot before you made it more than a few feet off the island. Besides which, the nearest landmass is an inhospitable island called Lian Yu. Its only inhabitants are drug lords and mercenaries."

Sara knew she shouldn't trust the woman which had already betrayed her once...but she feared this time the woman might well be honest. Every word Nyssa said felt like a body blow. Other than becoming a killer like the men and women here, how could she survive this island?

Nyssa spent a good two hours leading the other woman around the island and explaining things to her. She had also begun teaching the other woman Arabic, pointing to things and telling her the correct word. Sara found replicating Nyssa's pronunciation frustrating- the sounds were completely unlike English, and Nyssa was relentless as a teacher, expecting perfection from her pupil. Frustrating or not, it did keep Sara's mind on something other than her current fate.

Hours later, however, while Sara laid in the dark on a simple cot in what appeared to be a prison cell in the monastery, her situation hit her like a ton of bricks. She was too numb to cry. How could this be happening to her? It was unreal, like something out of a nightmare. She wanted to believe any moment that she would wake up in Oliver's arms. But she knew that was not going to be the case.

"Well, so the rumors are true," a voice muttered from just outside her "room." Sara sat bolt upright. That voice was familiar...she moved closer. Yes, the face was familiar, too. But where had she seen this man before? He was an older man, in his forties. He was dressed in the dark clothing of the other assassins, but a permanent smirk seemed affixed to his features.

"I never thought I would see another face from Starling City here," the man said lightheartedly. "Sara Lance...you've grown quite a bit since I last saw you."

Sara squinted. "Mr. Merlyn! Is that you? How did you end up here?"

Malcolm Merlyn's face grew hard. "Unlike you, Sara, I wanted to end up here. How is my son, by the way?"

Sara gaped. "Mr. Merlyn, we haven't seen you in years! And all this time you've been training to be some sort of ninja assassin?" Her tone grew accusatory. "You left Tommy all alone! The Queens practically raised him for you!"

"I'm doing this for Tommy!" snarled Merlyn, banging on the bars. "How was I supposed to explain to my son that his mother was dead and that her killer was still on the loose?"

"He needed a father!"

He pointed a finger at Sara. "You may not think me Father of the Year material, Sara, but just remember, I am the only one who cares about you here." He walked away.

Two months later

Sara fell to the hard floor with a grunt as Nyssa landed on top of her. The two women were breathing heavily, and Nyssa stared down at her opponent for a moment, gazing at the beautiful young woman- who was now showing surprising promise as a warrior. This close, Nyssa could practically count the freckles on the other woman's face. And from where she was on top of the other woman , she could see a hint of the blonde's tantalizing breasts...

Nyssa suddenly found herself on the bottom. "Hey, you said to not worry about playing fair. You seemed distracted..." Sara said with a grin.

Her breasts are even better from this angle. Oh God. Having her pressed up against me like this is so distracting...

"And you shouldn't," Nyssa said, blushing slightly. "I...merely wished to see if you remembered that lesson."

Sara frowned at the obvious lie, and wondered what exactly could make a hardened killer blush. However, she knew better than to pry. And she had begun to develop a sort of understanding of Nyssa- though she wondered if her sympathy would hold out if she actually saw Nyssa at work, doing her grisly "job."

"Weapon practice," Nyssa declared, squirming nimbly out of the other woman's grip. She grabbed a pair of bamboo clubs and tossed one to Sara. Sara groaned- her body already felt like one big bruise. She caught the weapon.

"Sword practice?" she asked. Nyssa nodded, and Sara adapted the appropriate grip placement, then charged forward. Nyssa deflected the first strikes easily, then went on the offensive. She gave an enthusiastic "good!" as Sara deflected her first three strikes, but then managed to disarm her opponent with a blow to the wrist. Sara rubbed the forming bruise, but did not cry out. She gave a sigh and went to retrieve her weapon.

"There once was a point where you could not even block a single one of my attacks," Nyssa pointed out. "You are improving, Sara."

"Not enough," Sara grumbled.

"I started this sort of training when I was seven, Sara," Nyssa pointed out, twirling out of the way of a strike. "And my father is satisfied with your progress. If he were not, you would be dead a long time ago."

"Thanks for the reassurance," Sara said dryly, barely blocking a blow to the head.

They fought until Sara managed to score a glancing blow on the other woman's ankle. Nyssa grimaced.

"Sorry," Sara apologized. Nyssa gave a confused look.

"This is nothing," Nyssa said. "Congratulations. You struck me."

"Hardly a lethal blow. Do you need ice on that?"

Nyssa shook her head. "My father has broken bones in practice sessions. This really is nothing."

"Charming," Sara muttered under her breath. When Nyssa glared, Sara looked sheepish. "Sorry." Nyssa seemed to understand on some level that her father was an abusive parent, but that didn't stop her from being fiercely protective of him.

"Let us clean ourselves. I reek of sweat." Nyssa led the way to the bathhouse.

The two women undressed in the women's section. Both women's bodies were toned with lean muscle and minimal fat- and each sported their own scars, though Nyssa's were far more numerous.

If she only knew the sort of things I want to do every time I see her naked...well, it would probably be enough to make her run away screaming, Nyssa reflected silently. She realized that the other woman was staring as well.

"See something you like?" Nyssa drawled, leading the way toward the baths. This time it was Sara's turn to turn beat red.

"I was just noticing...all the scars," Sara commented slowly as she stepped into the water.

"They don't bother you too much...do they?" Nyssa asked as she joined her. Was it her imagination, or did Sara detect a note of concern in her voice? "You'll have your own share eventually in this line of work."

"So...there's really no way out of this, is there?" Sara asked.

Nyssa shook her head. "My father makes an example out of those who betray their vows. You...Sara...I genuinely would not want to see such a fate befall you. Please...just...do as he says."

"And how has that worked out for you, Nyssa? Are you truly happy with this life?" Sara asked pointedly. She finished her bath quickly, not wanting to have to say more to Nyssa. Even now, she was the closest thing she had to a friend. She had attempted to talk Merlyn into helping her off the island, but it had been to no avail. He had become a cold man from his time here, practically unrecognizable to her, and Sara hoped that the same fate would not befall her.

As Sara strolled away, Nyssa turned her eyes downward. I will do my best to watch over and protect you, Sara. You might resent me, but you're going to need someone to lean on in the months to come. My father might not admit it, but even assassins need moral support.