When Worlds Collide Ch. 03

Story Info
Revelations are not necessarily a good thing!
10.2k words
4.82
112.1k
65

Part 3 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 04/23/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,494 Followers

Who said knowledge was power? Sometimes revelations are not all that's hoped for! Oh, and the vampires are back :-) *** Really hope you enjoy this chapter *** Many thanks once more to WHB for editing for me!

Chapter Three

Jared paced restlessly across his study floor. It was five in the morning and he was awaiting news on Aaron's injuries. He'd sent Millie off to bed a couple of hours ago after promising her he would wake her with any news. She had taken the two human women with her and settled them into rooms for the night.

Apart from leaving him briefly to carry the women's suitcases upstairs and make sure Lacey was okay, Rafe had spent the last few hours with him sitting silently on the sofa, his handsome face wearing a deep scowl.

"You're absolutely sure she's the one?" Jared asked for the twentieth time. He knew the answer to the question but he couldn't stop himself from hoping for a different one this time. The black look his beta gave him made his shoulders slump and he ran his hand through his long black hair and sighed loudly.

"I really didn't think this night could get any worse, Rafe," he ground out, his voice full of anger, but also resignation. "You do know what this means, don't you? You do know who Richard Graves is?"

Rafe scowled darkly and nodded his head. He knew exactly who Graves was and he knew why his Alpha was so torn at the moment. Graves was only one of the wealthiest men in the country. He was like a demi-god in the business world and was rumoured to be a personal friend of the President. He was so high up the untouchable list that everyone cut him a wide berth. It made no difference to Rafe. Graves was a dead man walking and had been from the first moment he had beaten Lacey.

"I don't suppose you're going to let me talk you out of this, are you?" Jared asked tiredly. He knew he could order Rafe to walk away from the fight and keep Lacey close to the compound for her own protection. He also knew Rafe was more than capable of shaking off any command he laid on him. The fact he no longer did so was more out of respect for his Alpha than his lack of ability to do so.

"Would you walk away if Graves had done the same to Millie?" Rafe countered irritably. He watched Jared's lips tighten in a thin line of displeasure. He knew his Alpha was unable to speak the lie which hovered on his tongue. He would do the exact same thing and he knew it.

Jared sighed deeply again and threw himself down into his leather chair, once more running a hand through his thick locks. "This is a right mess, Rafe," he groaned. "You know this can put the pack in danger. Getting to Graves isn't going to be easy. There's a good chance our true nature will be discovered."

Rafe frowned and shook his head. "It doesn't have to be that way, Jared," he answered slowly. "I can take Lacey and Jen and hide them someplace safe. The pack doesn't need to be involved in this. I can get Graves on my own."

Jared looked at him as if he was nuts. "The pack is already involved in this," he said angrily. "We killed two of Graves' men tonight and Aaron is fighting for his life. The moment Graves goes to check on the apartment he's going to know the girls have outside help. You're going to go after him which means I'm going to have to support you or risk you either getting hurt or being exposed at his hands. You really think I can let you go after him alone? Christ, Millie and Annie would have my balls if I even suggested it."

Rafe stood up angrily and turned to look out the window. His big body was tense and his hands were clutched in fists at his sides. "I can't let him live, Jared," he growled low in his chest. "You know I can't. You would never let anyone live who had hurt Millie the way that bastard hurt Lacey."

Jared almost snarled when his friend got that point in again. He was furious because he knew he couldn't argue with him. He would do exactly as his friend was planning if anyone hurt his Millie. Each and every member of the pack would do the same for their mate. Their wolves would demand it of them and there would be no reasoning with the beasts until it was achieved. Whatever else he was about to say was cut off when a knock sounded on the study door and Luke, the resident doctor entered.

The doc looked tired and old. His sandy hair was unkempt and he had weary lines on his face. He looked at both men for a silent moment and then he smiled. "He's going to make it," he announced and Rafe and Jared let out huge sighs of relief. "It was touch and go but the bleeding has stopped and he's starting to heal. He'll be out of action for at least a week though as his body regenerates."

Jared strode from behind his desk and thumped the doc on his back. "Luke, you have my eternal gratitude," he said wholeheartedly, a wide smile splitting his handsome face.

Luke beamed back at his Alpha. "Aaron did most of the work," he smiled. "He's one right ornery bastard when he wants to be. Actually opened his eyes at one point and told me today wasn't a good day to die because there were too many beautiful women out there he hadn't made love to yet."

Rafe emitted a loud laugh as relief washed over him. He hadn't known what he would have done if Aaron had died because of him. He was sure his friend would fight hard to stay alive but there had always been a chance the damage would be too severe for him to recover from.

Luke left and Jared smiled at Rafe. "You should get some rest," he said quietly. "I'm heading back to bed myself. Millie will want to hear the good news."

Rafe nodded. "I'm going to head down and check on Aaron and then I'll get some sleep." He turned and strode out of the study.

Jared slid gratefully into bed beside Millie and gathered her into his arms. She murmured softly in her sleep and buried her head in the side of his neck. "Aaron okay?" she mumbled sleepily.

"He's going to be fine," Jared whispered softly stifling a low groan as his woman draped her warm body over his. His cock stirred as usual and he dampened down his desire as he cuddled into Millie's softness. He was dead beat. His body may want to make love to the delicious woman at his side but his tired brain just couldn't keep his eyes open.

"I'm so glad," Millie sighed. "Love you," she murmured before slipping back to sleep.

"Love you too, baby," he whispered letting sleep claim him too.

___

Lacey came awake slowly, aware she wasn't at home because she was sprawled over a bed which was way bigger than the one in Jen's apartment. The events of the night before came crashing back and she sat up with a startled gasp, her eyes flying to the large body lying fully clothed on top of the bed at her side. Rafe.

She stared down at the big man as he slept peacefully at her side and her breath caught in her throat. He really was gorgeous.. For once his face wasn't wearing an angry scowl or a reserved expression and she found herself unable to breathe.. No one could be that gorgeous, that vulnerable looking when at rest. His shaggy brown hair tumbled over his face and she wanted to reach out and brush it away so she could have an uninterrupted view of him.

Heat unexpectedly coursed through her body and she gasped again at the unwanted sensation. She was attracted to him. There was something about this hulking man that called to her very soul and it terrified the life out of her. Even Richard hadn't instilled in her the feelings Rafe did.

She knew it was unfair to compare Rafe to Richard just because they were both strong men who were used to getting what they wanted. Rafe had done nothing to harm her in anyway, quite the opposite in fact, but she still couldn't quite stop being afraid of him. He obviously had some strong attachment to her otherwise he wouldn't be sleeping in the bed beside her. She knew he was attracted to her because he made no attempt to hide his desire.

Rafe Hanlon wanted her and she knew he would pursue her as relentlessly as Richard had. A small part of her thrilled at knowing he wanted her that badly. She had felt the same way when Richard had pursued her and look where that had ended up. She doubted Rafe would hurt her but she didn't trust her own judgement anymore. She hadn't thought Richard would hurt her either.

Rafe's eyes opened and met Lacey's as she stared down at him. He greedily drank in the sight of her tousled blonde hair, the sleepy look in her startling green eyes, the confusion on her very expressive face. "I wish you wouldn't compare me to him," he said quietly. "I'm nothing like him, Lacey."

Her eyes dropped from his and she looked down at the sheets separating their bodies. "It's not you I don't trust, it's me," she admitted in a small voice.

Rafe rolled onto his side and rested his head on his hand, gently pushing her back down onto the pillows. He smiled at her and brushed a finger lightly along her jaw line. "You shouldn't lose faith in yourself because you made one mistake," he breathed softly. "Believe me, I should know. I've made more than my fair share of them over the last year or so."

She watched him curiously, seeing a faint shadow in his eyes as he seemed lost in some memory he didn't want to revisit. Rafe Hanlon appeared to have his own demons which haunted him. It made him seem more approachable. Richard had never shown any hint of vulnerability.

"Please, Lacey, don't compare me to him," Rafe whispered in almost a tortured tone and she blinked up at him in surprise. "It's written right across your face. Every time you compare me to him your brow furrows and you bite your bottom lip."

"I'm sorry," she answered quietly. "It's hard not to sometimes." She smiled tentatively at him. "If it's any consolation you're winning hands down at the moment."

Rafe sucked in a deep breath and slowly released it with an answering smile. "It's some consolation," he smiled. His brown eyes drifted down to her mouth and he exhaled sharply. "I want to kiss you, Lacey."

She tensed slightly and searched his face. He was asking permission? She wanted to laugh at the thought of someone as sexy as Rafe asking permission to kiss a woman. He didn't seem the type to ask. Her heart flipped over at the heated expression in his eyes. He was asking because he didn't want to frighten her, didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

She threw caution to the wind and raised her head towards him. She saw a brief flash of excitement in his eyes and then his head was moving down to meet her halfway, his hand sliding around the back of her head to support her.

His lips hovered a fraction of an inch from hers, then he slanted his mouth across her lips and she moaned softly as a jolt of pure electricity rocked through her body. Rafe's lips rubbed gently against hers in a slow, exploratory kiss, leaving her room to pull back if she wanted to. She didn't want to. She parted her lips willingly and his tongue dipped tentatively inside before becoming bolder.

Rafe stifled down a deep groan as he slipped inside to taste the hot depths of her mouth. She was the sweetest, most delectable woman in the world. Her tongue met his and danced lightly against him, teasing him to dip deeper and taste her more fully. He growled and deepened the kiss, pressing her back against the pillows as he stroked inside her mouth hungrily. His body was rock hard and aching to be inside her but he held his need in check. He couldn't rush her. She was too fragile to rush into something right now. He contented himself with just a kiss and he made it the best kiss of his life.

He reluctantly pulled back from her and looked into her face. Her amazing eyes fluttered open and she looked up at him with a dreamy expression on her face. "Don't ask the next time, Rafe," she smiled huskily and he laughed low in his chest as he stroked his thumb lightly over her swollen bottom lip.

"I don't want to go too fast, Lacey," he breathed softly. "I want you and I won't pretend otherwise but I'm willing to wait until you're ready to come to me. We can do this at your pace. There's no rush."

She smiled impishly and her tongue shot out to lick the pad of his thumb lightly before she sucked it into her mouth. Rafe growled and his eyes darkened further until she released his thumb rather reluctantly and pushed herself up into a sitting position. Rafe automatically moved back to give her some space though he would have much rather have held her close in his arms.

The sheet fell away from her upper body as she pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin on her knees. Rafe's gaze roamed greedily down the back of her little pink night shirt as he rested his back against the headboard and stretched out his long legs.

"Things are bad, aren't they?" Lacey asked quietly, turning her head to the side to look back at him.

Rafe nodded and let out a deep sigh. "There is so much you don't know," he admitted. "I don't know how much you can be told about the situation either. It's going to make things a bit challenging but we'll find a way through it."

"Why, Rafe?" she asked curiously. "Why do you have to do this? Why do you have to be involved in it?" She really couldn't understand why these people were so intent on protecting her from Richard.

Rafe frowned trying to think of a way to answer her question. Jared had placed an injunction on telling the two women anything about the pack and vampires for now until they worked out what they were going to do. "I can't explain right now," he told her quietly. "All I can do is ask you to trust us. Try and trust in me, Lacey. I know it's not easy for you but please try."

She nodded thoughtfully and glanced back to give him a little smile. "Okay," she said simply. She would trust Rafe and his strange friends. If it kept Jen safe then she was willing to take a risk. It really had nothing to do with how fabulous Rafe's kiss had just been. If she told herself that often enough maybe she would believe it.

"How's Aaron?" she suddenly asked remembering the likeable blond man being shot the night before. Rafe's smiled answered her question before he spoke.

"He's out of the woods," he smiled softly. "I stopped by to see him before I came to bed this morning. He was sleeping comfortably."

Lacey was pleased to hear it. She really did like Aaron and she was glad he hadn't died trying to protect her. "Do you think it would be okay if I went to see him too?" she asked quietly.

Rafe closed his eyes and dampened down the automatic feeling of jealousy which coursed through him. He knew her concern for his friend was totally innocent but he couldn't help the way he reacted to the softness in her voice when she asked about him. His wolf howled 'mine' repeatedly and he wanted to howl along with him.

"Would that be a problem, Rafe?" she asked slightly tentatively and he slowly opened his eyes and smiled at her.

"No, it's no problem," he answered slowly. "I'll take you over there after breakfast." He rose reluctantly from the bed inhaling deeply at the smell of food in the air. He smiled. "Millie's cooking breakfast now if you want to get ready and wake Jen too. She makes the best eggs ever. You should get them while they're still hot." He left the room and headed downstairs towards the tantalising smell..

Lacey had a quick shower and blow dried her hair, pulling on a clean pair of jeans and a little teal green summer top with matching button down sweater. She headed next door to Jen's room and found her friend just finishing dressing.

Jen was just pulling her T-shirt over her head when there was a knock on the door and Lacey entered. She shook back her long black hair and smiled as she saw the expression on her friend's face. For the first time in months Lacey actually looked relaxed.

"Rafe says breakfast's almost ready," her friend said from the doorway.

"You've seen him already?" Jen remarked surprised.

Lacey blushed slightly and smiled. "I kind of had no choice in the matter. He was sleeping beside me when I woke up," she admitted.

Jen's mouth dropped open in shock and she motioned her friend to come into the room and close the door behind her which she did. "You slept with him?" she whispered pulling her over to the bed.

"Technically," Lacey laughed softly sitting down on the bed. "It was all perfectly above board though. I was under the covers and he was fully dressed on top of them. I think he came in to check on me and was so tired he just fell asleep."

Jen's green eyes bored into hers intently and Lacey finally blushed and look away. "Okay, he kissed me when he woke up," she admitted with a deep sigh. "Just one kiss and he sort of asked me if it was okay before he did it."

"You let him kiss you?" Jen gasped in shock and then she suddenly smiled slowly. "So, how was it?"

"The best kiss I've ever had," Lacey smiled lying back on the bed. "I know I probably shouldn't have kissed him but there's something about him which just begs me to let him in." She saw the concerned expression on her friend's face and smiled reassuringly at her. "He's not like Richard, Jen, I know he's not. I just know Rafe would never hurt me."

Jen shrugged. "He does seem okay," she admitted quietly. "A bit broody in that ruggedly handsome way some men can be, but he seems likable enough. Everyone here does but there's something they're not telling us, Lace. There's something not quite right about this place. I can feel it in my bones."

"I know what you mean," Lacey sighed. "I tried asking Rafe about it this morning but he asked me to just trust him for now. Said there was a lot we didn't know and couldn't be explained just yet. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. So far they've only acted in our best interests. Until they give me reason to distrust them I'm going to see how things play out."

Jen laughed softly. "And maybe get a few extra kisses out of Rafe while you're at it?" She was concerned, but not overly so, at her friend's interest in the big man. After Richard she had thought it would be a long time before Lacey would have been willing to dip her toes back into any kind of a relationship. Rafe really did seem okay and Lacey seemed to like him quite a bit. Maybe the big man would be able to help her recover from being at Richard's mercy for two years.

"Come on, let's go down to breakfast," Lacey laughed as she stood up, stopping suddenly to look at her friend in surprise. "I can't remember the last time I laughed, Jen. Last night with Aaron was the first time in such a long time."

"It's been a while, sweetie," her friend admitted. "It's good to hear it again." Arm in arm the two women headed downstairs to breakfast.

Millie looked up as the two women came downstairs. She was dressed similarly to them in jeans and a light summer top in pale pink. She was carrying a very large tray piled high with covered serving bowls. "Good morning," she smiled. "You timed it nicely for breakfast. Dining room's this way."

They followed her into the dining room. Lacey smiled as Jared jumped up from his chair and rushed to take the tray from his... wife? At least she thought they were married. She hadn't seen any rings but they acted like a married couple. She let her eyes drift around the dining room as Jared set the tray down on a large bureau against one wall and began taking the lids off the serving bowls.

The room was a reasonable size with a large cherry dining table that could easily seat twelve people. The table was set with a number of places. Jared had been sitting at the far end closest to the fireplace. There were three settings on either side of him.

"Grab a plate and help yourselves," Jared smiled by way of a greeting as Rafe entered the dining room.

His eyes automatically searched for Lacey's and the smile he gave her made her heart stutter slightly. She must have given something away in her own expression because his smile turned into one of smug satisfaction before he grabbed a plate and began piling food on it.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,494 Followers