Whistleblower Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Captain Cindy Ross of the TCPD got out of the Black Beauty. "Commander," she called out, "you've got mail."

"Is that so?" I asked as she handed me the manila envelope. As I looked at it, I could feel my eyes widening in shock.

"Has this been put into evidence servers?" I asked.

"Yes sir." Cindy said emphatically, making sure Russell and the Sheriff could hear her clearly. "It is now evidence, and can never be suppressed nor done away with."

After looking through it, I reached around Russell and handed the sheaf of paper to the Sheriff.

"Tough shit, Senator." I said as I got into Russell's face. "That right there... is from the murder victim. This is now an investigation into the murder of a whistleblower... and I am formally taking it over from the local jurisdiction. I might add that the FBI will be here shortly, as well..."

Part 4 - Whistle Stops

Another sleek plane landed at the local airfield, also with Federal Government markings. Team Lazarus had arrived: FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, Special Agents Martin Nash, Lindy Linares, and Julius Jefferson, and two surprise passengers: the Deputy Director of the FBI, and U.S. Senator Richard 'Bill' Nunn. Nunn was a Conservative, TEA Party Republican, while Russell was an Establishment Republican Elitist, the kind of Senator that makes Mitch McConnell possible. My State's two U.S. Senators deeply hated each other on both a personal and professional level.

Sandra Speer had not made the trip. She was due to deliver her child at almost any time, and therefore stayed in Town... my Town... with my wife on call and ready to perform the delivery.

"Hello, Mr. Director," I said as they came up to the State Office Complex. "Doing a little sightseeing ahead of your retirement?"

"Looks like it, Commander." said the DepDirector. "And I'm making damn sure BigAgraFoods is aware I'm not retired yet. You know Senator Nunn, do you not?"

"Yes sir." I said, shaking Nunn's hand firmly. "Great to see you again, Senator."

"I appreciate the Deputy Director letting me ride down with him." said Nunn. He then lowered his voice and said "I'm here to be the counterweight to Russell, if he tries to give you any crap."

"You're just in time." I said quietly. "He's already throwing his weight around, and trying to make us back off on this."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Jesus Christ Almighty." the DepDirector gasped as he looked at the sheaf of papers that had been mailed to me.

"That bad?" asked Nunn.

"Take a look." said the DepDirector. The papers were internal emails from high-level BigAgraFoods executives. While they did not directly mention the plans to control the foodstuffs of the Nation, and therefore the Citizenry, there was plenty of material discussing which politicians to support and work with, as well as who they considered 'enemies'. I need not say that Governor Jared and Senator Nunn were considered top 'enemies'. Your Iron Crowbar was not mentioned in this batch of papers, which said the DepDirector's retirement... and the recent retirement of a CIA Deputy Director named Laura Fredricson... was very welcome news to the BigAgraFoods leadership.

"I'm not sure the FBI shouldn't be taking this over." said Jack Muscone after reading the papers.

"Except murder is a State crime." I replied. "But consider yourselves invited to assist on any interstate communications that might lead to conspiracies to silence this whistleblower."

"No insult to your SBI guys, Don," said the DepDirector, "but I'd like for my guys to work closely with them on all interrogations and information raids."

"You guys good with that?" I asked the SBI-SIS guys, who were also in the room.

"No problem, sir." said Norm Chow in his normal, passionless voice.

"We'd welcome the help." said Orosco diplomatically. Crenshaw nodded.

"Commander, did you see this page?" asked Martin Nash. He passed me one of the sheets at the bottom of the sheaf.

It read: "In addition to you, I'm sending this to Commander Donald Troy, reporters John Hardwood and Tim Sioban, and FBI Assistant Director Dana Fox. Hopefully, someone will come through to find the truth."

"Where is Dana Fox now?" I asked.

"He's in Washington." said the DepDirector. "Homeland Security meeting. That's still his priority mission."

"John Hardwood." I said. "So that's how Senator Russell found out about this so quickly. And I would not be surprised to find out that sending this to Hardwood is what got Wheeler identified, beaten, and then murdered."

"These are obviously copies to you and the others listed here." said FBI Special Agent Julius Jefferson. "Who were the originals sent to?"

"Commander Troy's C.I., if I don't miss my guess." replied Cindy.

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking there." I said. "Yes, I got a message from a Confidential Informant. Just said that some stuff from BigAgraFoods had come to him, and some of the same stuff that the Guardians of Justice group had made public. So I sent the SIS guys here down last night, and came early this morning... too late to help Mr. Wheeler, here. I didn't know who he was at the time, but I was hoping to safely extract him and possibly make a bust or two. Unfortunately, the perps got to him first."

"You think Wheeler was part of this 'Guardians of Justice' group?" asked Martin Nash.

"I don't know." I said. "He may have been part of it, but it's more likely he was feeding someone information that subsequently came their way.My C.I. was right: the stuff on some of those papers is the same as the stuff that group has already released."

"What are you going to do if the FBI wants you to give them the name of your C.I. as part of the 'Guardians of Justice' investigation?" asked Senator Nunn.

Cindy's eyes rolled, and I could not help but chuckle. "That will depend, Senator," I said, "on how nicely they ask."

"I'd rather be burned at the stake than try to get that information out of Commander Troy." said the DepDirector, and the SBI Agents didn't quite understand why everyone was laughing so hard at that comment...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Larry Wheeler's wife Susan was an attractive but rather plain woman in her 30s. Their son was about six years old, and their daughter about three. Their pastor was already there, comforting the grieving widow.

I had made a point to let someone break the news gently before letting the FBI come through the house like bulls in a china shop. Deputy Sheriff Ormond had agreed to come and break the news, along with the pastor. Then Norm Chow and I came in.

Also with us was Michael Malarky, Senator Russell's senior aide. He was tall, black haired, in his 30s, and was reputed to have been in the Green Berets. Whether it was because of his military elite past, or his association with the U.S. Senator, he had an air of arrogance about him. But you know what Crowbar People think of Green Berets that think too much of themselves. And Norm Chow (formerly Special Forces) looked less than impressed, as well.

Fortunately, Malarky helped the FBI people confiscate computers, and left me alone.

"I'm very sorry for your loss, Mrs. Wheeler." I said quietly. "I hate to disturb you in your grief, but we're going to need to get your husband's computers and cell phones. It would help if we could examine your cell phone, too."

"Sure, if it will help find whoever did this." the woman said. She unlocked her phone and Chow applied a device to copy the entirety of its contents before giving it back. Meanwhile, Martin Nash and Julius Jefferson were quietly confiscating the computers, having been 'advised' by me to be circumspect.

"Do you have a separate computer?" I asked.

"No, I just used Larry's personal laptop." said Mrs. Wheeler.

"And he had a separate personal laptop from his work laptop?"

"Yes." said Susan Wheeler. "He mostly used the work laptop, though."

"Ma'am," I asked, "did your husband mention anything that was bothering him, or that he considered a threat to him?"

"No." the woman sobbed. "He seemed perfectly fine, perfectly happy."

"Ma'am," asked Norm Chow, his voice sounding comforting, "did he talk about taking a family vacation, or getting away for a while?"

"No." said Mrs. Wheeler. "Every three months or so, he'd have to go to the BigAgraFoods Main Offices in the University Town, and he'd take us with him. But that was the closest we got to a vacation."

"Did you have any financial problems?" I asked. "Did he mention any issues at all?"

"No, we were fine." said Mrs. Wheeler. "I'm a teacher at the middle school, and we were putting my salary away, investing it for school for the kids, and for retirement. And he was putting a lot into his 401(k) at work, and we still were fine."

"I have to ask this, and please be honest." I said. "You are not aware of any extramarital affairs he was having, were you?"

"No!" gasped Mrs. Wheeler. "Nothing like that! He loved me, and the kids!"

"Okay, okay." I said. "I'm sorry, I had to ask. And again, you're not aware of any other problems he was having? No one threatening him? Any disputes over anything at all?"

"No, not that I was aware of." the widow said. "If there was anything, he never said a word about it."

"Thank you." I said. "I'm going to do everything I can to find your husband's killers. I know he was the Scoutmaster of the local Troop. I was an Eagle Scout, and I have a daughter the same age as yours. So I really want to bust these perps."

"Thank you." Mrs. Wheeler said. "Please, do what you can to find them..."

As we were about to go, a blondish boy came up, wearing a blue University Bulldogs shirt. "Are you the Iron Crowbar?" he asked me.

"Yes." I said, surprised. "Yes, I am. What's your name?"

"Benny." the boy replied. "Are you going to catch the guys that killed my dad?" he asked, looking up at me, his eyes wide with simple sincerity.

I knelt down and looked the boy in the eye. "I'm going to do everything I can to catch them." I said. "And all these good police officers are helping me to catch them."

"When you catch them, can I beat them up with your crowbar?" the boy asked.

I took a breath. "I think your dad would want us to do the right thing, and let our Justice System punish them."

"Why?" the boy asked.

"Because we're like your dad... we're better than the bad guys." I replied. "So we'll bring Justice to them the right way." The boy nodded, accepting that.

"I can tell you have children." said Chow as we got back into my SUV. "You know how to answer kids. That's never been easy for me."

"It's not easy for me, either." I said. "And no amount of practice helps. Besides... if I could get away with it, I'd let the kid have a few shots at the bastards with the crowbar... after I took a few myself."

"And I'll be in line right behind him." replied Chow.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, I'm going back to the City." said the DepDirector as we met in the Conference Room of the State Crime Lab. "I can monitor from there, and contact Washington securely." Everyone nodded, then he noticed my look at him.

"Cindy, you going back, too?" I asked.

"Unless you want me to stay down here." Cindy replied.

"No, you need to get back and keep my Detectives safe from Deputy Chief Harlow." I replied. "When you get back, have our Detectives go to BigAgraFoods and interview as many people as possible about Larry Wheeler. You know the drill... just trying to get background on him and a possible motive for his murder... but keep alert for anything that seems out of the ordinary."

"Wilco." Cindy said.

"Also," I said, lowering my voice as the FBI team talked to each other on the other side of the room, "pick up John Hardwood, interrogate him to see if he got the papers... but only if he doesn't talk about it on tomorrow morning's news, or hasn't talked about it already."

"He'll probably give us First Amendment shit, and say his sources are protected." Cindy predicted.

"That's fine." I said. "But make him say it. And I'm sure Myron is already looking at that data. Make damn sure he does not share anything he finds with anyone but you and me."

"No problem." Cindy said.

"Last, but not least," I said, "it would not hurt my feelings if someone, anyone, can tell me everything Senator Russell has done for the past 48 hours or so. Everyone he talked to, what he said and was said to him. Even every time he pissed and jacked off, I'd like to know."

"You're a pervert, sir, but we'll have that data for you." Cindy replied with a grin. A red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

Before he left, the DepDirector spoke to me privately. "Any initial impressions?"

"Yes sir." I said. "The Sheriff is scared shitless of Senator Russell, to the point he will not be of help to us. The BigAgraFoods people said nothing meaningful in the interviews we had with them today, and I don't expect anything new there. Last, but not least, say hello to my wife for me when you get into Town."

The look on the DepDirector's face was one between 'how the fuck did you know?' and 'I should be used to this by now'. He said: "I believe Jack would be saying '400 years ago...' right about now. I think my retirement is going to be needed just to get over you. How'd you know?"

"You can communicate with Washington from the Federal Building on Courthouse Square." I said. "BigAgraFoods's headquarters is in my County, not the City. And Sandra is due any day now, and I can understand you wanting to be there for your people."

The DepDirector nodded. "Yes, that's the big one. But I also am going to be looking into BigAgraFoods and this case with an eye on the past Superior Bloodlines connections. See if there's any cleanup to do, there..."

Part 5 - Relevancy

"So where are your kids?" asked Eddy the Bounty Hunter after Molly Evans had admitted him into her condo.

"With their grandmothers." said Molly. "My mother and Don's mother are teaming up, just as we're teaming up to help Don down in Rocktown."

"Nice." said Eddy, not failing to notice how Molly was dressed. She was wearing a clingy dress that showed off her big breasts, and the hem barely covered a third of her thighs. And the high heel slides she was wearing shaped her legs and ass very nicely. Eddy did not try to hide that he was checking the lovely blonde out. "So when is your sister going to come pick us up?"

"Oh, it'll be at least a couple of hours before she gets here." Molly said, her voice 'suggestive'. "We could whip up some food in the kitchen, or just... sit and talk."

They sat down on the sofa, their hips touching, Molly to Eddy's right. She crossed her right leg over her left, and practically over Eddy's leg. Eddy was a man who lived dangerously; therefore, he was a man who lived fully. His hand began massaging Molly's thigh, and moving up her leg, and he bent over and kissed the hot blonde full on the mouth.

"Mmmmm..." Molly said as their first kiss broke. "I think I like this better." Eddy pressed his mouth to hers again and forced his tongue halfway to her throat as he kissed her hard. His hand slid up her thigh and along the curve of her luscious asscheek. Molly pushed herself into him as she responded to the kiss, practically straddling him.

"Nice abs." Molly whispered as she felt Eddy's hard six-pack under his shirt. Eddy lived dangerously, so he had to be in excellent physical condition. And that conditioning came in handy when it came time to sexually pleasure a woman.

Her hand found his zipper and she opened his pants. She felt the large cock growing inside, and she freed it from the confines of the garment. It popped out, sliding along her leg, long and thick. She kissed him hard again as her hand began to jack him to raging hardness...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Darkness was settling upon the land. Inside the State Crime Lab conference room, which had become the command post for the investigation, the SBI-SIS Agents Chow, Orosco, and Crenshaw, were meeting with me and with the FBI team. Sacks of (now eaten) burgers and fries from the nextdoor Wendy's littered the table.

"Okay," I said, "Senator Nunn was driven to Midtown by elements of the State Patrol. We've got his number if we need him. So... what have we found out, so far?"

"Very little on the computers." said SIS Lt. Crenshaw. "Special Agent Linares and I went through Wheeler's computer thoroughly, including all internet connections. According to them, he's not the 'missing link' to the Guardians of Justice. He also made no connections with any of the people he listed that he was sending the information packet to. His emails were either to work colleagues or friends in Rocktown."

"So that computer is clean." said Muscone. "Anything from his router?"

"No." said Lindy. "Nothing at all out of the ordinary. We confiscated his computer from his office at BigAgraFoods, also. It's clean, too. Just work emails, a few emails home. Nothing strange at all. The company has access to all work computers, so I'd be surprised if he would do anything extraordinary from that computer while at work."

"And his cellphone?" I asked.

"No records of any unusual calls." said Lindy. "Of course we would expect him to use a burner for anything 'extracurricular', but we have not found a burner in his home or car."

"Is it possible Larry Wheeler is not the whistleblower we think he is?" asked Orosco. "Maybe they got the wrong guy by mistake?"

"I was wondering that, too." said Norm Chow. "Could that package to Commander Troy have been from someone else, in Mr. Wheeler's name?"

"I thought of that," I said, "so I looked at handwriting samples while we were at Wheeler's house. I'm not an expert, but it sure looked like the same handwriting to me."

"When the Iron Crowbar says he's 'not an expert', take that with a grain of rock salt." said Jack Muscone. "We, meaning me and Tanya before she left for home, had a couple of Crime Lab techs that are well-trained in handwriting analysis look at it, and they said it was almost certainly Mr. Wheeler's writing. His fingerprints were all over most of the papers, as well. We're pretty sure he's the one that sent the packets, at least the one to Don."

I said "Tell me about the interviews with BigAgraFoods people today."

Special Agent Julius Jefferson said "Lt. Orosco and I handled most of that, while our colleagues cleaned out his desk and took his computer. His direct supervisor, the Office Manager, said he did a good job, did everything asked of him, was well liked by his co-workers. Whenever the manager had to go to the Commander's home Town to BigAgraFoods Headquarters, Wheeler stood in as office manager and did well."

"Did Wheeler ever go up to my Town?" I asked.

"Fairly rarely." said Jefferson. "I think we got some expense reports he'd submitted. He went there a couple, maybe three times a year for the last three years. Usually one of those trips was in the fall, to go to a Bulldogs football game during the weekend." I nodded, my glance at Chow suggesting that tongues be held on that, and Chow got the message.

Jefferson continued: "We asked everyone we talked to if Wheeler was showing any signs of stress, of being unhappy, of having any kinds of problems at work or at home. Everyone said he seemed calm and happy through yesterday, his last day at work."

"Anyone seem worried as they talked to you?" I asked.

"No sir." said Orosco. "I watched for that, as you suggested. They all were shocked about his death, but didn't seem nervous or afraid to talk to us."

"I agree, sir." said Jefferson. "And I'll add that everyone there was totally cooperative, in every way."

I was all but in a reverie. When I came out of it, I said "This is going to sound stupid, but... do BigAgraFoods employees have photo IDs?"