Whose Fault Was It Ch. 05

Story Info
Marks returns to Nashville and encounters the past.
2.9k words
4.24
61.5k
13

Part 10 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 07/06/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Home felt good for Mark, or at least Nashville did. He didn't notice it at first but soon realized the dreams had stopped. He had no problem sleeping for about the last two months. The feel of the same bed, the absence of an open suitcase, and his hand at 'home cooking' were small pleasures. The dreams would start again but with a little different twist after one Saturday Mark went to visit Sarah.

Friday came and Saturday was the 15th anniversary of the day. Janet was upbeat as she ended her day. She and her secretary of 5 years walked to the parking lot together. Lulu Baker, called Lu for short, was one of the closet friends that Janet had. Lu was 10 years younger than Janet and long divorced. Neither had a steady man in their life but Lu would have appreciated one if for nothing else but a 'fuck buddy'. Janet smiled and said for that she had Bob. Lu was intrigued and kept pestering Janet to see if Bob had a friend. Janet finally confessed that Bob was really BOB, Battery Operated Boyfriend.

That became their private joke. And on that evening Lu said she did have a date for the night. She was hoping to get lucky. Janet counter she always had Bob and didn't have to worry about getting lucky. The two parted for the weekend. Janet's only real plan was to see Sarah on Saturday. Janet had purchased a large coffee table book filled with full and double page landscapes from Ireland. One of Sarah's loves, Janet had learned, was large picture books. Without the use of her arms someone had to show them to her but that part Janet enjoyed.

Mark had been back in Nashville for six months. It had been almost 9 ½ years since he had walked out on Janet. The city still held some memories but Mark was adapting. He and his brother now owned three Oil Change Service locations. He had settled into an apartment close to Jeremy and Emma's home. Mark spent a lot of his free time there, although it was beginning to get a little uncomfortable since Emma was always 'fixing him up' with a date.

It was a Saturday and on the day before Mark had purchased a used BMW Roadster from a customer. He was driving it as he made his rounds of the stores. He pulled into their newest location across from the Mall. It was close to 2 p.m. and Mark was ready for his day to end. He wanted to enjoy the cool spring air from the seat of the convertible. With that on his mind he went onto the waiting room and checked with the attendant. Mark picked up a clip board with the work order from the last car off the line. He smiled and looked into the crowed waiting room. It was full; Saturday was one of their busiest days. "Miss Jill Trenton," he called.

A nice looking blond stood and indicated she was Jill Trenton. Mark approached and smiled, "Miss Trenton your car is ready, I.." was all Mark got out before the woman spoke.

"Are you Mark Parker?" she asked.

With a puzzled look he responded he in fact was Mark Parker. Looking again at the name and the face he couldn't guess how she knew him.

"I guess you don't remember me," she blushed. "I was Jill Stanley."

That hit Mark hard. He felt a warm flush pass thru him followed by a wave of nausea. Stammering he tried to apologize, "I'm so sorry,...I mean I didn't recognize the name, and...well you are just as pretty as ever."

"I understand; it has been a while. I thought I recognized you when you drove up in that little car. Is it the same...," she hesitated then tried again. "How long you been back in town?"

"Just a short time, I kinda work here. I do customer relations for several of these businesses. You do look great," Mark said trying to avoid answering to many questions.

It was obvious both were uncomfortable. "So how have you been Mark?"

"Fine I guess, did a lot of traveling, and expect this job will be about the same. And you?"

"I did get married," then added, "finally! Smiling she continued, "Been three years now. Phillip is the Operations Manager for Motorola here in Nashville. We don't have any kids but he does by his previous marriage. We are expecting his first grandchild in the next few weeks."

Mark grinned big. "You will really enjoy that. I have three now. My daughter Allison in Dayton has three. Chad, Katie, and Toby. Chad will be 8 next Friday. I am going to buy him a gift after I get off. His mom gave me a list of what he wants. Seems she sent the most expensive items to me." Those thoughts lifted Mark's spirits.

"You look good, and it's great to see you, but I know you have other things to do." Jill smiled. With that Mark walked her to her car, a Lexus. Checking that all items had been properly completed and filling out the questionnaire Mark opened the door for Jill. He just wanted her gone. Mark felt lucky she hadn't mentioned Janet.

Before Mark could close the door she stopped him. "Mark I'm so sorry... about... you and Janet."

Mark sucked it up and looked at her with the most sincere smile he could muster, "That's ok, it was a long time ago."

"I know but....I'm sorry." Jill said as she pulled the door closed. Mark watched her drive away with a sick feeling in his stomach. It was 15 years ago today that he had met Janet. It was funny, he still after all these years, remembered the date. I had been every bit as important to him as their anniversary. "Damn the luck, why today of all days," Mark muttered as he looked across the street at the mall.

As Mark was talking to Jill, Janet was finishing her visit with Sarah. It was as normal as clock work now. The only thing that was different was on occasion Sarah would look at Janet and giggle like a 4 year old with a secret. When Janet would ask what it was about Sarah would only say, 'uuuuuu...ellllll...seeeee' in her slurred speech that Janet was now accustomed to. This had first started 4 months ago and was only getting worse. Janet was perturbed at Sarah but she was not mad. What secret did she have?

The day Mark had seen her; Janet had a funny feeling in the parking lot as she walked to her car. She was so involved in the warmth she didn't notice anything about her in the parking lot. That night she had a dream Mark had come back to her. The door bell rang late in the evening waking Janet from sleep. She trudged to the door to find Mark standing there. When she woke Janet was disappointed it was just a dream. However every time Sarah giggled she felt that same warm tingle that she had experienced on the walk to her car and after her dreams. That was on her mind as she drove to the mall. The Mall she thought. And the date hit her; it had been 15 years today. But with the warm feeling brought on by the visit with Sarah, and her giggle, the date didn't matter all that much.

What Sarah was giggling about was the fact she knew Mark was back in town. Several months earlier Mark had been behind a car that had decided to stop on a yellow light. Mark thought the woman in the Cadillac should have gone for it and told her so under her breath. When the light turned green he proceeded the half a block and turned into entrance of the home where Sarah was cared for. As Mark dove toward the building she saw a woman come out the front door. He immediately recognized her as Janet. "Damn it, guess Janet had someone to visit here in this home too!"

Janet saw the white car but didn't notice it as she walked past. She never glanced at the driver. Mark however did check her closely. The second thing he noticed was the wedding ring on her finger. The first thing he noticed was the fact she had changed little, with the exception of being a little more beautiful. Mark watched her in the rearview and saw her get into a black Mercedes. "Guess some things never change," he said out loud. Mark asked about woman that just left and was told she visited every Saturday. Mark decided to make all his visits to Sarah during the week. He never guessed Janet was there to visit Sarah. And Sarah never tried to tell him.

Mark was then relieved the woman in the Cadillac had stopped for the light. If not he would have met Janet at the door most likely. What would he have said, after seeing the ring? He was so upset he cut his visit short with Sarah that day. It never dawned on Mark to see who Janet had signed in to visit. True he didn't know her last name but all he had to do was look for the Janet that had just signed out. That missed opportunity and the fact he would only visit Sarah during the week kept the truth away from him.

That day caused some changes for Mark too. Mark began to have dreams about Janet but they were filled with sweet memories. Memories that were wonderful in the night but brought the pain in the daylight, knowing Janet was lost forever. That was evident with the wedding band on her finger. Each dream made Mark just more melancholy. Emma noticed and confronted the fact to Mark. He confessed to seeing Janet at the home and seeing her wedding ring.

And that day Jill had brought back a lot of pain and Mark wanted to get away. He worked a few more customers then decided he would go shopping for his grandson's birthday present. He wanted his mind on something else at the moment, something that would bring a warm smile. He needed something to chase the gloom away, why of all times did he have to run into Jill Stanley on that day?

He turned right out onto the Boulevard and worked his way across the traffic to the left turn lane. When he got the arrow he zipped thru the intersection and drove down the north side of the mall. At the next light he pulled into the left turn lane. With that turn he drove along the west edge of the mall. The next left turn lane took him to the street on the south of the mall. Driving toward the east he pulled in the left turn lane, lining him up on the main entrance of the mall. Mark thought to himself, "Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do, but if that is correct then what do four lefts make?" With the light he cross the traffic and followed the lane to the front of the building. Turning to the right this time he looked for a close space. Three isles down he saw the third space was vacant. But the traffic arrow on the pavement indicated traffic was one way toward him. Mark looked around and saw no one. He quickly shot up the aisle and made a quick maneuver into the slot. He revved the engine and then turned off the key.

Janet was turning to get to her parking spot when she saw the tail of the yellow car disappear. She knew someone had just stolen her spot. Her temper flared. Janet forgot the day, the visit with Sarah, and all good will. Damn it that was her space. The scene from "Fried Green Tomatoes" came to mind where Kathy Bates rammed the smaller VW when the two girls stole her space come. Janet quickly dismissed that, for she drove a Mercedes, not some cheap domestic automobile. A curt dressing down would have to do. And Janet Parker was one to do that, just ask anyone of those she supervised.

Just as the roar of his car motor dies away Mark heard the distinct sound of a car door slamming. Looking in the rearview mirror he saw the fenders of a black Mercedes. Stepping out of the car, Mark saw the woman. Starting at her feet he took the scene in. She had heeled sandals, nice legs sticking out of a pair of well fitting yellow shorts. Her hips were shaped nicely and the cotton blouse revealed she was a nicely figured woman. Her hair was dark and her face scowled. With a fluid motion she pulled the wide sunglasses off her face into her right fist. Placing both fists on her hips she shifted her legs to a wide stance. The sight brought the image of Superman to Mark's mind. If she had worn a cape she would have been a dead ringer.

"I want you to know that you are parking in my space. I played by the rules and drove around. You cheated!" she stated.

"I guess I did, but I didn't see you or see any name on the spot," Mark retorted mildly. At that moment he had forgotten about the wedding band.

"You know perfectly well you drove the wrong way up the aisle to take that space. I was going around, following the rules!" the woman insisted.

"You caught me, what are you going to do? Write me a ticket or call the police?" Mark said in nervous jest.

"The question is what are you going to do? You know it is rightfully my parking space. Are you going to do the right thing and surrender it to me?" She was nervous as she spoke.

"I guess it is only right for me to do the proper thing, but I deserve some consideration." Marks said flatly.

"Making me have a cup of coffee at the food court perhaps?" Janet quipped.

Mark looked her in the eyes, "No I'm too old for that; I don't have the time to waste." He saw that Janet tried to hide her disappointment. "I prefer you to allow me to buy you dinner tonight at 'Arnold's, say 7 p.m."

"And if I don't?" she asked but she said it was just a slight smile.

Mark ginned weakly suddenly remembering the ring he had seen on her finger, "You can still have the space."

"What a gentleman. Now I feel bad about the fuss, perhaps I should have just asked politely," the woman said in a low voice.

"Would have been the same request, either way, I would have still wanted to buy your dinner," he countered.

With a softened scowl she responded, "Very well, if you will move your automobile I can park and get about my business."

"I'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name." Mark slightly smiled.

"I am afraid I didn't throw it. But the name is Janet..., Janet Parker, and see you don't forget that."

"Is that Miss or Mrs. Janet Parker?" Mark asked with a big grin.

She smiled for the first time, "That depends. And if you wish to eat at 7 p.m. you will have to call for me at our home at 6:30. I am not some high school girl that will rush off to meet a boy." Janet hoped she hadn't pushed too far.

Mark smiled, "Then it's a date, and you are much too lovely to be mistaken for a high school girl. Where do you live?" Mark asked fully aware she had said 'our' home.

"I'm sure you remember the address." Janet said over her shoulder as she headed back to her car. Mark had his eyes fixed on her ass as she walked away. There was a warmth and tingle in his body he hadn't felt in almost 9 ½ years. Janet was just as, or maybe more beautiful, than she had been 15 years earlier.

Janet made it to her car just before her knees buckled. She started the car and put it in reverse to let Mark back out. Janet hadn't noticed the Minivan waiting close behind her. The aggravated mother of 3 was not pleased at all and had she been as aggressive as Janet she would have joined the discussion. The woman hit her horn to warn Janet; then began to back up her Minivan up to make room.

Mark drove away and as he did added just enough gas at the right turn to squeal the tires. It hit him that maybe Jill had been involved somehow, but how could she have been. She didn't know where or when he intended to shop. Even if she had followed and called Janet, how could Janet have been in the right place? Mark that settled in his mind; perhaps it was just 'as it was meant to be'.

Janet didn't park in the spot she had so fiercely fought for. Instead she drove forward, turned left and headed out of the mall parking lot. She still had time to make the beauty salon and purchase a new dress.

The mother of three was rewarded with the space. The best part of that day for her was a parking spot three cars up for the main door.

Mark thought as he drove away. "The same mall, the right parking area, general parking spot, almost to the minute, on the exact day, 15 years later,'what are the odds'?"

To be continued...