Widows, Whiskey and Willow Switches

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sometimes, if it wasn't raining."

She huffed out a laugh. "Did making people feel better give you joy?"

"Yes, when..."

"Stop." She kissed him again, the light touch making him shiver. "Don't make excuses. Don't qualify your answer. If you could do either of those things without suffering rain or society's dictates, would either one bring you joy?"

She nipped his ear and climbed from his lap. Once she'd pushed the table into place and seated herself, she said, "A surprisingly intelligent man once told me to think about it. I suggest you do so."

+++++

They reached Kansas City early the next morning. Abby had sent a telegraph ahead at one of their stops and shrieked in delight at the sight of Jane and Archie waiting on the platform. Jane was as beautiful and tiny as ever, a pretty porcelain doll in her burgundy dress and shawl. Archie still resembled a bear, with his bushy hair tamed under pomade and a scruff of whiskers on his jaw. Wire spectacles rested on his large nose over twinkling blue eyes.

She raced toward them and Archie laughed as he swung her into his arms. "Haven't you decided to grow yet, sprout?"

She wrapped her arms round his broad shoulders and let her feet dangle. "I'm taller than your wife, lumberjack!"

Chuckling, he set her on her feet to let his wife hug her. "We missed you so, cousin! Are you back to stay?"

Abby kissed her cousin's cheek and shook her head. "You know I'm not. I've only come to deal with Benjamin." She pulled away, placing Jane's hand on Archie's arm. "Let me introduce you to Mr. Caleb Walsh, my husband."

Caleb nodded politely and held out his hand to Archie. Jane scowled and marched up to him, her small frame quivering. She pulled her booted foot back and kicked him right in the knee.

"Jane!"

"What?" She turned up her nose and took Abby's arm. "He deserved it. Let's go see Mama and let Archie deal with him. You'll be a widow before lunch."

+++++

He scowled at the smaller woman's thoughtless comment and nearly took a step forward to upbraid her for her behavior before he remembered that she was the responsibility of the man next to him.

"Please accept my apologies for my wife's behavior. Rest assured, I will discuss it with her later." The larger man held out a hand. "I'm Archibald Cox. I represented Matthew and Abby's affairs before his passing."

Caleb shook the other man's hand, noting his palm was firm and dry. He didn't squeeze to attempt a power play, gaining him Caleb's grudging respect. "Apologies are unnecessary. I'm afraid your wife was right, though I hope to make amends for my behavior."

Archie pushed his glasses up his nose and gazed at Caleb, his expression unreadable. "Very well. Shall we go to my office to discuss things, Dr. Walsh?"

"That information isn't widely shared, Mr. Cox." His medical education wasn't a secret, though he never mentioned his past if he could help it. It wasn't part of his life now.

"You have married my wife's cousin; a woman I consider like my own sister. I decided to act in her best interest and find out what I could about you." Brown eyes met blue as they stared at each other. "There is a word one might use to describe a man who takes advantage of a rich widow." He set off down the street, his hands folded behind his back.

Caleb picked up their saddlebags and matched his steps. "Indeed. I wasn't aware of her means when I courted her. Rest assured, we will be arranging an annulment when her business with Benjamin Hartford is concluded. I would be thankful for the recommendation of a lawyer if you know of one."

"If that is what you and Abby want, I will take care of it."

"I'm much obliged. Thank you. I'm sure Abby will be delighted by the news."

The bell jangled over a plain wooden door as Archie opened it. A young man looked up, his expression owlish behind thick spectacles. "Take something from the cash box and fetch us some honey buns from the baker down the street, please."

The youngster nodded and dashed away after retrieving a few coins.

"My assistant, Seth. He's got a bright future ahead of him if he ever learns to speak." He led Caleb into a dark office and lit a lamp. "Have a seat, please."

He took the leather chair behind the desk as Caleb sat across from him. His back stiffened as Archie reached into his desk, figuring he was about to meet his maker at the end of a pistol. Instead, he pulled a dusty bottle from the drawer at his feet.

"This is the sole remaining bottle from Abby's first batch of bourbon. She is unaware that I have it, and I'd prefer she stay in the dark." He loosened the cork and poured a scant measure into a glass then slid it over. "It had been intended to be split aged; half would be for ten years, and the rest for twenty." He tipped his glass forward and sipped, inviting Caleb to join him.

"How old is it now?" He held the glass up to the lamp, admiring the rich amber color. The odor was rich and complex, bitter from the char, but sweet with notes of honey and malt.

"It's a bit less than five years." He took another small sip, rolling the fluid around his mouth. "Green, as far as Abby is concerned."

He put the glass to his lips and let the bourbon flow over his tongue like an angel's song. "Damnation," he hissed. The promise from the scent was surpassed by that first sip and he let it linger in his mouth before taking another drink, realizing it was the same as what had been in her flask.

"Indeed." Archie set his glass down and replaced the bottle. "Abby's wealth isn't wrapped up in that old sock. It's between her pretty ears."

"I already know that. I knew it the first day I met her."

"Do you still wish for an annulment?"

Caleb tossed the last of the bourbon down and folded his hands in his lap. "I never did," he said, his voice husky from the liquor's burn. "I want her so badly I can't see straight and it's not because of the bourbon." He lifted his head, meeting the other man's eyes. "I forced her into marrying me, and I shouldn't have. I am here only to make restitution."

"You plan to let her go, just like that?"

"A forced marriage is no marriage. She doesn't want me, and I love her too much to keep her."

"Have you told her?"

Caleb laughed, the sound hurtful to his ears. "No. I kidnapped her from her home, and made her wed me at gunpoint. I hardly think she'll believe declarations of love."

"Perhaps." Archie leaned back in his chair, still nursing his glass. "Matthew was my best friend since earliest childhood. When we were ten, he threw a rock at a little strawberry blonde termagant. He hit her in the face and knocked her clean out."

"Abby?"

"Yes. When she fell, we did what all young boys do in such situations." He smiled fondly and added, "We ran like hell."

Caleb chuckled. He'd gotten into some scrapes himself. "What happened?"

"Our mothers made us go to her sickbed and apologize. We went in one at a time, and I went first. She was gracious and thanked me, but when Matthew came in with a bunch of flowers he'd stolen from her Mama's garden, you could see the mad in her eyes."

Finishing his drink, he set the glass aside. "Being a somewhat wiser young lad, I escaped outside to wait. Matthew came back down with a black eye and a bloody nose, and informed me that he was going to marry her."

"He made good on his word, then. I'm glad for him."

"She held on to that grudge for nearly ten years, Dr. Walsh. We told him over and over she'd have nothing to do with him. He persisted, despite all her nasty tricks."

"She hit me in the head with a rock."

"Ah." Archie smirked. "She wasn't so kind to Matthew, I'm afraid. Nothing destructive or hurtful, you understand, but her pranks were...imaginative and quite messy."

He chuckled, imagining Abby as a young girl, chasing off a persistent suitor. "Why are you telling me all this?"

"Because, like Matthew, you love her, but where Matthew persevered and got his woman, you're giving up."

Caleb shook his head and stood. "She told me she prayed she was barren so she didn't have to bear my children. I believe that tells us all we need to know about her feelings."

To his credit, Archie winced. "She said cruel things to Matthew, too." He shook his head. "Let's get Benjamin Hartford dealt with. He'll be easier to manage than your wife."

+++++

"Mr. Walsh is very handsome. I think you should stay married."

"I don't want to be married. I want to be left alone." Jane tugged at her hair as she set another curl in pins. She grimaced, but let her cousin play. She and Caleb would be meeting with the judge in a few short hours, and she needed to look her best.

"Besides, you kicked his knee. I thought you didn't like Caleb."

"I'm mad because he treated you badly. Imagine, chasing you all the way to Pueblo! It was hard enough to believe your letters when you told us about him." She pinned up another curl.

That hadn't been the only thing Caleb had done, but Abby was glad she hadn't shared the more salubrious details with her cousin. Jane would have been scandalized, and would have told Archie, who would have promptly beaten Caleb to a pulp.

She needed him healthy long enough to deal with Benjamin. After that, he could do as he wished. Once her hair was dressed to Jane's liking, they went downstairs to have lunch. To her surprise, Archie and Caleb waited in the parlor. They both stood as the ladies entered.

"I'm afraid Jane and I won't be able to join you for lunch. We have to visit a sick neighbor, but we'll return before we have to leave for the courthouse."

Abby narrowed her eyes at Jane, catching her guilty flush as she took her husband's hand. "I'd almost forgotten, dear. I hope you don't mind."

"No, of course not. I hope it's nothing serious."

Archie pulled Jane from the room, leaving her alone with Caleb. Shaking her head, she said, "We can eat in the kitchen. I'm sure Jane left something."

"Archie recommended a restaurant down the street. I would be happy to take you out if you'd rather. It would save you the trouble of cleaning up, to boot."

"Millie's. She has good chicken and dumplings, as I recall. Give me a moment to fetch my shawl and leave a note for Jane and Archie. We can meet them at the courthouse."

Caleb was a perfect gentleman during their walk and all through lunch. He stood when her old friends approached, greeting them with impeccable manners. As they were finishing slices of Millie's delicious apple pie, she heard Benjamin's nasty, sneering voice behind her.

"I see you barely let my brother's grave get cold before making time with another fellow, Abigail. We all knew you were nothing more than a two..."

Caleb laid a hand over hers, squeezing her fingers. "Darling, I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman." He stood and held out a hand. "I'm Dr. Caleb Walsh, Abby's husband. She graciously consented to marry me not a week ago."

His smile didn't reach his eyes and he dropped his hand when Benjamin didn't return the courtesy. "She refused at first, of course. She was determined to mourn her dear, late husband properly, even in the wilds of the Oklahoma Territory."

Benjamin's muddy eyes narrowed in his plump face. "I heard you were nothing more than a cowpoke without a spread of your own. Why, I'll wager you're not a doctor at all!"

"You'd lose, Mr. Hartford. However, I do find time on the open range to be relaxing." Caleb returned to his seat and faced Abby. "If you'll excuse us, we'd like to finish our lunch without unpleasant company."

Benjamin's face grew purple at the insult and he waved a fat finger at them. "Why you upstart two-bit..."

"I believe you've already tried that insult," Caleb interrupted. "Speaking of which..." He stood up, towering over Benjamin. "If I ever hear you disparage my wife again, you and I will have words. Do I make myself clear?"

Abby snorted out a laugh when Benjamin scurried away, muttering curses under his breath. She tried to take a sip of her tea to calm her giggles, but when Caleb winked, she let her mirth free.

"That was quite impressive, Dr. Walsh." She giggled once more before calming herself. "I declare, I've never seen that fat little toad run so fast."

"I'm delighted you approve." He patted her hand and took another bite of pie.

"Caleb..."

He lifted his head, his expression serious as he gazed at her. "What is it, Abby?"

"Thank you. No one has ever stood up for me before."

"Not even your husband?"

She looked away, her hands playing idly with her fork. "He tried. Benjamin wouldn't have said anything in his presence, but when he got sick, he couldn't protect me anymore."

"Oh, sweetheart..." Caleb leaned over and kissed her cheek. "I promise that he will never bother you again. You will always be safe from him, even after we..." He cleared his throat and looked away. "I will always keep you safe, even if it's from a distance."

She wanted to touch her skin where he'd kissed her, but left her hands on the table in front of her. "This isn't your fight. Once we clear this mess up, you'll be going back to Oklahoma."

"I made you a promise, honey. I have never broken my word in my life, and I have no intention of starting now. When I say I will do something, you can bet your last dollar that it will happen."

Her lips parted. "I hardly know what to say. Why would you do such a thing?"

"Because I love you. Whether you marry someone else or remain a widow of means, I will always keep you safe." He glanced down at his pocket watch. "I'm afraid we need to finish our lunch and get to the courthouse. Are you ready?"

"But we barely know each other! You can't possibly..." Love had never occurred to her! Sick obsession, yes, but love? Not once in a million years would she have thought he'd love her.

Once he'd wiped his lips and fingers with his napkin, he stood and held out a hand. "We'll discuss it after your hearing, if you wish, but it has nothing to do with you. All you need to know is that no one will ever hurt you again."

+++++

He walked her to the courthouse, cursing himself for spilling his emotions over their lunch table. He'd wanted her to know how he felt, but it hadn't been the right time. He should have waited, or written them down in a letter for her to read after he'd left.

She was too silent as they walked, but he refused to say a word and risk upsetting her further. It was not the time for such nonsense. The turreted stone building loomed above them and she shivered under his hand as Archie met them at the corner. He held the heavy wood door for her before leading her up the marble steps.

He helped her sit next to Archie behind the long wooden table facing the bench. He took the chair next to her and waited for the judge to enter the courtroom.

"All rise..."

"I don't have time for such foolishness." The judge, a slim man with graying hair and a long beard, stomped up the stairs to the bench and perched on his chair as he peered down at them through half-moon spectacles.

"Welcome back, Abigail. Does this mean we'll get some decent bourbon in this town for a change?"

"I'm sorry, your honor..."

He waved a hand, cutting her off. "We've got ourselves a pickle here, folks. Benjamin Hartford says you signed this here contract saying you'd work for Hartford Distillers in perpetuity for no wage."

"I did not..."

"I know that, child. You ain't fool enough to sign such a thing. It also says that you're turning Matthew's share over to Benjamin."

Abby's face darkened and she turned to look at Benjamin, her eyes spitting fire. "Why, you little..."

The judge laughed, slapping his hand on the bench. "You got just as far as the no wage part and threw it right back in his face, didn't you, honey?"

With one last poisonous stare at her ex brother in law, she turned to face the judge. "Yes, sir."

The judge tore the forged contract down the middle and tossed the pieces into a wastebasket at his feet. "That takes care of that. Now, on to the disposal of Hartford Distillers."

"What do you mean, disposal?" Benjamin jumped to his feet, the vein at his temple pumping wildly as he shouted. "That business has been in my family for..."

"Sit down, Mr. Hartford, before I hold you in contempt." When he fell back into his seat, the judge continued, "The distillery doesn't exist anymore, and you know it. You had to shut down when the last barrels were empty because Abby's employees quit and your vendors refused to sell to you. You and your nasty friends crippled her cooper just because she hired a freed slave. It didn't even enter your tiny little mind that a distillery needs those damned barrels."

He glanced at Abby and flushed. "I beg your pardon, Abigail."

Abby gasped, her hand flying to her throat. "Tony..." Her face paled and Caleb took her cold hand, hoping to warm her. Tears welled in her eyes and he handed her his handkerchief.

Benjamin stood and slammed his fist down on the table in front of him, his face purple with anger. "If you'd make that bitch come home where she belongs..."

The judge banged his gavel, the sound echoing through the courtroom. "I hereby order you to relinquish your share of Hartford Distillers to Abigail Hartford Walsh, effective immediately, for the sum of ten thousand dollars. That sum is a fair accounting of your share of the assets, according to Archibald Cox."

She tried to stop the tears welling in her eyes, but they fell unchecked. "Your honor, I don't have the..."

"My wife agrees to the transfer of assets, your honor. Mr. Hartford will be given the funds by this time tomorrow."

"Very well, Dr. Walsh. Please give a receipt to the court so that it can be filed with the judgment."

"Yes, your honor."

"Court adjourned. Good day to you all." He swept from the room, leaving Abby in dismayed shock.

Caleb helped her from her chair, but she stumbled against him as the tears continued to fall. "I don't have the money, Caleb. And I don't know what to do about Tony! I feel horrible! Why did you say I would pay?"

"I'm giving it to you."

She blinked at him, her pupils blown in her wet eyes. "But...why?"

"Consider it restitution. It's a rainy day, is it not?"

Her eyes rolled back and he barely managed to catch her as she fell into a dead faint.

Archie glanced down at her and shook his head. "I think you used a bigger rock than Matthew did, but it wasn't necessary. I'd planned to give her the balance as a loan."

"I'm not giving her a loan. It's hers, free and clear." He hefted Abby in his arms and carried her from the courtroom.

"Even if she chooses to end your marriage?"

"Even then. I promised her I would always protect her. When I said my wedding vows, I promised to honor and cherish her. I meant those vows whether she's with me or not, and I will never stop loving her."

"Caleb..."

He looked down in surprise at her soft whisper. Her eyes were open, swollen with tears, but her lips tilted up in a soft smile.

"Say the last part again."

He kissed her damp forehead. "I will never stop loving you."

She threw her arms around his neck and buried her face against his chest. "I want to go home."

"Where is home, honey?"

She laughed, the sound muffled against his coat. "I have no idea, but it's wherever you are."

+++++

April 21, 1890

Kansas City, Missouri

Being married wasn't so bad, after all. She still hated the idea of Caleb giving up on his claim to move to Kansas City, even though they'd paid the fee to buy the land outright before the five year term had been completed. She especially hated that he'd gone back to medicine when he'd purposely left it behind.

When she'd objected, he'd only said, "This is Kansas City, a fair piece from Boston. I can treat whoever I damn well please." Clucking her chin, he added, "Which means whoever needs it because I've caught myself a clever wife who keeps us in bread and butter."