Wilderness Road Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You think he wanted to steal them?"

As I said it, I remembered the agent telling us the house had been broken into before we moved in. She'd said that it was probably just kids and they'd replaced all the locks, so we didn't have anything to worry about.

"Maybe they wanted my journals, or maybe they just wanted to harass me, chase me out of town. Well I guess it worked because I haven't been back since. At first, I was just going to stay and help out, while my sister's leg healed but the longer I'm away, the less I missed my old life. After a while, it just made sense to put the house on the market. I just didn't want to go back and Terry was good enough to clear out the house."

"So Terry's known where you were all this time?"

"Oh yes. Sorry if he lied to you. That's my fault, I'm probably being paranoid but I wanted to keep this between me and him."

"Well, he was certainly good at that. It's been quite a mystery!"

"Yes, sorry about that too, hope it hasn't caused you to worry."

"He's a good man, you know," I said, sipping my coffee.

"I know," she replied, and smiled for the first time, showing her perfectly white teeth. "I'm thinking I might invite him over one weekend."

"I think that would be a great idea," I said, returning her smile.

So there it was. No body under the patio. No conspiracy, just a young woman worried about her safety and trying to escape her past.

I couldn't help feeling a little sense of anticlimax as I sat in my car, waving as Abby passed me then exited the parking lot, turning left, and quickly disappearing into the traffic. Just one car and one story disappearing amongst the mass of human traffic. All those cars, all those people, each with their own story to tell, their own secrets and desires and fantasies.

I knew it was time to say goodbye to the journal. I'd reached the end and I couldn't continue to live vicariously through her memories. Her words had inspired me to explore my boundaries and now it was time to get on and write my own story.

12