Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 19

Story Info
The Little One is accepted.
5.6k words
4.7
18.6k
5

Part 19 of the 32 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 11/02/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers

As Peter and Andrew walked back to their rooms, Peter's comment, ‘What a day’, gained a quick retort from Andrew.

"You're not free yet,” he said. “I think there's worse to come. Mum and Jennifer have some business to discuss with you. You thought that the hardest part was asking Jennifer to marry you and plan a fancy engagement. I have news for you my boy."

Andrew began to laugh uproariously.

"I'll saddle the fastest horse first thing in the morning - there's still time to escape."

Still chortling loudly, he wandered off down the corridor leaving Peter mystified.

For the next two weeks, Peter relieved Eric on the tractor, and when lunch arrived with Jennifer each day, he just didn't get any time alone with her. Mealtimes at the house were the same and at night he was so tired he just wanted to sleep.

Then one night around the dining table, they were drinking a final cup of tea when the fateful question came from Elizabeth.

"We're delighted you're shortly to become a member of the family, but when?"

Peter couldn't answer and his thoughts were in turmoil. No wonder Andrew thought worse was yet to come. He didn't know when. Now? That wasn't practical. Jennifer and he hadn't been alone together long enough to discuss such things. God, he was only just becoming accustomed to the idea of being engaged.

As these thoughts raced through Peter's head, Elizabeth waited for his answer.

"Well, Jennifer would make a beautiful Easter bride." Elizabeth's patience was at an end.

Peter could only stare, not daring to verbalize his thoughts. Was she mad? Easter was months away. Elizabeth had taken leave of her senses.

Andrew was no help.

"I told you there was worse to come,” he said with a smug tone in his voice. “Should I saddle the horse now?" He laughed.

"Don't look so surprised and downcast, lad." Eric took Peter's tea and replaced it with a whisky and water. "This happens to all of us. Just agree and let the women get busy with the arrangements. It's easier to say yes, believe me."

Ignoring her men folk’s comments, Elizabeth still awaited Peter's response.

"I suppose I've waited all my life for Jennifer so I can wait a few weeks longer,” he replied with considerable reluctance. “But I must warn you that when it comes to wedding plans, I do have some commitments. My regiment has always insisted that my old platoon, the men I saved in the jungle, give me a military wedding.

“I will be in uniform and they will form a guard of honor. Other than the uniforms and the guard of honor, it will be a normal wedding. I hope this won’t upset any arrangements you had in mind."

Jennifer left her mother’s side and hugged him.

“Underneath all that military dress will be my husband, and that’s all that matters!”

To reinforce her words she hugged him tightly and stayed close by his side, clinging to his arm. Together they waited for Elizabeth to continue.

"As Christmas is next week, do you mind, Peter if we forgo an Engagement Party, particularly as all your friends are in Sydney?" Elizabeth didn't await his reply.

"We will be having our usual Christmas Dinner and our whole family will be here for the double celebration. I'm sure you’ll enjoy the festivities."

"Elizabeth, I've never had a Christmas Dinner. And I've never experienced an Engagement Party although I suppose I've read of one in the Sunday Paper - so I'm entirely in your hands."

He seemed relieved to be able to escape as he led Jennifer out onto the front drive under the starry skies. At last, they were alone together with only the vast universe for company, and he could hold her tight and kiss her. Peter lowered his gaze to her upturned face as she waited for his kiss.

Andrew’s voice came out of the dark.

"Hey, we’ll have none of that on this property! Get to bed now,” he called out, as his feet crunched over the gravel on his way to the stables “Not you, Jennifer. Leave him alone, and don't you dare go to his bed or I’ll tell Mum." Andrew couldn't resist teasing them.

Peter worried about where they would live. He worried about the wedding. He worried about how he would ever explain to Jennifer what his regiment, and his two fathers required of him.

He did ask Andrew if he any inkling of where Jennifer would like to live but Andrew could only come up with a non-committal reply. Any time he tried to raise the subject with Jennifer, she seemed to be busy with other things at the time. It seemed he had no way of asking, as she was strangely silent on the matter.

Then one night when they were sitting on the back verandah studying the stars and listening to the faint sounds of the night Jennifer leant against him and admitted she would love to live somewhere close to her parents.

“You don’t know but the place to the east and this property once formed one great estate. It’s now for sale and if we can afford it – well, I would love to live there. That is provided you also would like to live there.”

The hug Peter gave her confirmed how he would live anywhere with her. “When do we go and have a look?” Peter sounded enthusiastic.

Jennifer pretended she did not hear the question and with each immersed in their thoughts they returned to their study of the stars.

Early the next morning Andrew woke him with the cheery call.

"Get your leathers on! We're going sightseeing." Andrew's orders were decisive.

The whole family appeared at breakfast in their leathers ready for what Andrew so euphemistically called sightseeing.

To Peter it seemed as though this sightseeing would be more an expedition as the bins on the scooters were loaded with bottles of ice cold water and refreshments.

It was fun as they raced across the creeks, not worrying about getting wet. Elizabeth did her best to spray Eric, and Peter, dragging up the rear, marveled at how carefree everyone seemed.

Up the distant hill, to the far end of the property they rode and into the state forest. Everyone enjoyed developing their skills negotiating the sand and the rocks, but the riders were most careful, knowing they wouldn’t be able to tolerate the laughter of the others if they took a tumble.

Up and up they climbed following narrow animal trails until Andrew, the leader called a halt.

“Time for a drink and something to eat. This is thirsty work and I’m hungry.”

You’re always hungry,” was Elizabeth’s quick retort.

“I’m just a growing boy!” Andrew was determined to have the last word.

They dismounted and parked their bikes. Elizabeth and Jennifer spread the food and drinks on a rug and they talked ceaselessly between sips and bites of the food they laughed and joked about the ride.

As soon as everyone had finished the remaining food and water was repacked. Nothing was left to litter the bush.

Eric took the leadership from Andrew and began to lead the way through the trees. Peter could only surmise they had planned something together. Mystified, he held Jennifer’s hand and followed.

Cresting a rise, the little party found itself on a cliff edge. Below them and stretching into the distance were two valleys separated by a long line of low hills. Through each valley flowed a creek and the scene formed a picture book tableau.

Pointing towards one of the creeks with his arm around Jennifer, Peter whispered, “I can see our magic place where you said you’d marry me. That’s a magic place for me and it was a magic day I’ll always remember.”

With shining eyes, Jennifer turned and hugged him. “It was special for me too,” she said, looking up into his face.

Eric pointed out their home and drew Peter’s attention to the valley on their right. There stood an old Australian homestead - another stone mansion - almost a twin to the Blake’s house yet considerably larger. Even at this distance, Peter could see the paddocks were bare of livestock and the property was in a sad state of neglect,

“That’s Rocky Springs,” and Eric explained that both properties had been part of one great estate owned by his great, great grandfather and his great, great grandfather’s unmarried brother. They had argued and split the property.

The feud between the brothers was so bad that there had been no reconciliation. The family line that owned the second property had ended about 30 years previously, leaving no heirs. Now, at last, the local stock and station agents had listed this property for sale.

Jennifer snuggled against Peter and put her arm around his waist as she interrupted her father’s explanation. Cautiously, she opened her heart. “You asked me where I’d like to live. That’s where I’d like to live” and she pointed down to the twin of her own family home.

Quickly she re-gathered her thoughts. “Down there is the place where I’d love to bring up our children, giving them a childhood such as I had.”

Slipping his arm around her waist Peter stared down at the homestead and he believed he could hear the tinkle of merry laughter as his children played around their home. He could almost smell food cooking and the yells of boys and girls as they climbed the trees around the house. Squeezing Jennifer, he returned to the present.

Anxious to see what could be his future home with Jennifer, Peter took control.

“Well let’s go, why are we wasting time talking? Elizabeth, take the lead and see if you can lose Andrew.”

There was a rush back to the bikes and Andrew didn't wait for anyone but made his bike fly, retracing their tracks. Not a foot behind him was Jennifer, who was determined to pass her brother.

At a long disused slip rail gate in a pitiful state of disrepair, they waited for the others to catch up.

"You're the apprentice, Peter,” Andrew laughed. “So you open and close gates." Andrew made certain he put Peter in his place.

Laughing to himself, Peter thought of the return trip, possibly through creeks. He’d pay Andrew back in full.

The paddocks and the fences showed that the property was in a bad way. There was an absence of livestock and the windmills looked rusted and unused. The few dams he saw were overgrown with weeds and almost dry.

The overall picture was depressing.

The triple storied homestead seemed a twin for Jennifer’s home yet it was so much bigger and its condition showed that it had stood empty and unloved for years.

Peter mused that perhaps it was built by the same architect who had designed those thick stone walls and wide verandahs at Deep Springs. Even the filigree cast iron lacework of the verandah rails seemed as though they had been cast at the same foundry.

No matter, Peter mused, the steps leading from the broad curved driveway to the tiled verandah gave the building a regal presence, welcoming them.

Not surprised that Eric had a key to the house, he waited for Jennifer to stand beside him. Holding her hand, he followed the others up the flight of wide marble steps.

The house, although dusty and unkempt, had an aristocratic dignity – with an elegance that matched Jennifer’s home. Peter’s mind raced into the future when the wide corridors and courtly rooms would be alive with the laughter of his children and the love of his family.

In some rooms, possums had made their homes and the floors were thick with dust. The leadlight windows in some rooms were so badly weathered they would need replacing.

From the archway of the huge entry foyer, a wide curved marble staircase climbed to the second floor. As they began the slow climb, Peter silently thanked the teaching brothers at his College for the painful lessons in architecture and the care they took with him hammering an appreciation of art and music into his thick head.

This was an Imperial staircase with divided flights. The first flight rose to a half-landing and he could see where it divided into two symmetrical flights both rising with an equal number of steps and turns to the second floor. When they reached the top of the staircase Peter was astounded to find a ballroom complete with stage.

“This isn’t a farm house it’s a hotel.” The imposing size of the ballroom, with its ornate high ceiling and floor to ceiling French Doors opening onto the wide balcony awed Peter. The polished wooden floor appeared ready for a ball that same evening.

Downstairs the rooms were enormous and another curved staircase with twin silky oak banisters led upwards. The corridors were so large that Andrew couldn’t resist teasing Jennifer once more.

“You could drive a horse and cart up and down these corridors. Jennifer, you will have housewife’s knees and hands just keeping this place up to scratch.”

Peter grinned. "Well I’ll always know where to find her!” he remarked, bringing gales of laughter from Eric and Andrew but silencing glares from the women.

“So your dream has been to raise your children here and work this property, eh?” Peter stared at Jennifer as if demanding answers. He added, “Would it become part of Blake and O'Brien Pastoral Company or remain Blake Pastoral Company?"

They continued their exploration of the wide corridors until they walked into what had been a formal dining room. The only furniture remaining was the dining table that would easily seat sixty.

Peter noticed immediately and passed an unexpected comment. "Jennifer you’re going to be busy! I want to fill the chairs around that table with my children."

Jennifer punched his arm in reply and the others laughed.

Peter didn’t stop his queries at this point, and as Jennifer strolled through the big house discussing possible plans, his questions seemed endless until he paused to turn to Eric.

"Okay then, show us around the property."

They inspected the sheds, the dilapidated shearing shed, the shearers' quarters and the ruins of the stockmen’s homes. Then slowly, they rode around the fence line, stopping occasionally for someone to pass an opinion or make an observation.

Peter’s comment. “There’s enough old machinery lying about to start a museum,” brought laughter from Andrew.

“Got some of my own,” was Eric’s contribution to the conversation.

Question after question tumbled from Peter's lips. "Would you, Elizabeth, be interested in helping Jennifer furnish this house until it’s as beautiful as yours?

“What machinery would be required to run this place?

“Why are there so many windmills in many of the paddocks?

“Would this property, combined with yours, become viable as a moneymaking venture or be too large to manage successfully?

“How many stockmen or farm hands would we need? The workers' accommodation needs lots of rebuilding - what would be the cost?

“What about house servants?

“As primary producers, what government grants could we expect?"

The family did their best to supply accurate answers.

Peter was pleased to note they were all prepared to say, "We don't know but we’ll find out," when they couldn’t supply any information.

As the grand tour ended and Eric and Elizabeth were answering the final questions, Peter still hadn’t forgotten his childish little game with Andrew.

Once again, on their bikes, the family’s return trip to their home was an opportunity to pay Andrew some of his own. Peter dropped back a little until Andrew was half way across the deepest creek, then on one wheel, Peter bulleted through the water almost drowning Andrew and his bike.

"Just getting even for Jennifer and I’m not the apprentice," he called back as he raced up the creek bank.

Back in the family kitchen for a very late lunch, Peter made a request.

"As soon as lunch is over, Eric, would you be happy to ride with Andrew and me into town, where I guess I might find the agent for the property?

Turning away from Eric, he took Jennifer’s hand.

“Jennifer, would you like a special wedding present that you and I are giving each other? I won’t try to surprise you. I would like to purchase the property for us.”

Peter almost fell off his chair as Jennifer leapt into his arms.

“I must be the luckiest girl alive to have you as my soon-to-be-husband. Together we’ll work to make Rocky Springs a home as happy as this one has been all my life.”

Regretfully, Peter slowly disentangled himself from her arms.

“We men have some business to attend to and then we’re going for a few celebratory drinks. When we return Jennifer will know where and when we’ll be setting up our house."

The meal passed noisily, with the women talking wedding dresses, engagement rings and Christmas while the men argued about builders, fences and stock.

Immediately after lunch, Jennifer gave Peter a nod and he led the men out to their bikes. The women were about to organize Andrew’s Christmas surprise.

The stock and station agent was delighted to get the property sold even though Peter drove a hard bargain. As Andrew and Eric Blake accompanied this stranger, the deal was soon clinched and the amazing offer of instant payment by credit card was beyond the agent’s experience.

In the hotel, Peter was surprised to see a huge circle chalked out on the floor with all the drinkers gathered around. The publican poured a bucket of yabbies – freshwater crayfish – into the center and the yabby race had started. Amused by the antics and surprised to see bets being taken Peter sidled up to Andrew and asked, “What’s happening?”

“Oh they’re holding yabby races and the bookmaker gives 50% of all bets to the local hospital. The winning yabbies are set free to breed bigger and better yabbies and the slow ones are eaten.”

Eric, Andrew and Peter watched, fascinated by the gamblers and the glee they showed when their yabby won.

When the cooked losers arrived, everyone gathered around to join in the feast.

Peter told the publican that all drinks while he was there were free. He was prepared to shout everyone at the bar. Surprised that this city slicker was so generous the locals were nevertheless amused that he only drank fresh lime and soda. Yet his bearing told them he could be a formidable opponent.

When Eric announced that Peter was about to become his son-in-law, the locals crowded around to slap Peter’s back and congratulate him.

“You’re a lucky man – she was my first girlfriend in kindergarten,” said a walking mountain of a man whose nickname was Tiny.

Blue, a redheaded local, added his bit. “Remember when she used to race us on our motor bikes and we couldn’t catch her. We were stupid enough at the age of 10 to tell her we’d kiss her if we caught her. Never did – pity!”

The bar was a noisy, friendly hum of humanity as Eric, Andrew and Peter left but not before the agent had arrived to hand the deeds of the property to Peter. Bearing in mind Peter’s way of doing business, he’d hurried the transaction through the usually slow processes, using one of his lawyer associates.

He remembered Peter’s earlier words. “I don’t think I need a lawyer for the transaction as I’m marrying one. Besides you wouldn’t be foolish enough to risk losing Blake Pastoral Company as a client,” The Agent was surprised at the outset but when Peter had continued, “No-one could be so foolish as to try cheating me,” his blood ran cold.

Something about this man signaled danger.

Back home, Peter walked up behind Jennifer who was engrossed in dress patterns and fingering samples of wedding materials. Leaning over and kissing her on the hair, he broke the news that they were now property owners.

Champagne flowed and everyone was delighted that plans for their future were in place.

The days seemed to fly and Peter was surprised when Jennifer announced, “Christmas Eve is tomorrow. We’re all off to town tomorrow, or else Santa will have no presents to deliver. Early to bed tonight so we can keep ahead of Santa."

Of course, Peter knew of Christmas but it was just a word to him. He had not celebrated it since he was a little boy in Penang. His thoughts whirled through his emotions of living in strange cultures but this Christmas event was suddenly so full of love, commitment and warmth that he was determined to follow the family’s lead.

JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers
12