Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 21

Story Info
Preparations.
6.3k words
4.76
17.4k
1

Part 21 of the 32 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 11/02/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JAScooter
JAScooter
114 Followers

Sadly, Bob and Ted felt a little neglected through all these preparations, although at times Jennifer and Peter joined them to all go out together with Ruth and Karen who seemed to be the permanent partners for Ted and Bob.

Things were changing in Peter's apartment, too. The place was subtly altered and Jennifer's clothes seemed to take up all the available space.

Eventually April arrived and Peter's bachelor days were almost at an end when he drove Jennifer to Mascot airport.

"Goodbye, Jennifer."

His arms encircled her waist and the passengers had to thread their way around them.

"Don't be late for our date next week. I'll be so anxious to see you. None of that rubbish about the bride always being late." Peter ruffled her hair.

"Be careful darling," she warned in a mock serious tone. "It's only a week and I don't want you arriving on crutches." Laughing and waving she joined the other passengers. Before disappearing, she turned back toward him and blew a kiss.

"I'll be there to claim my wife," Peter thought, "But why does she have to go off a week early? Women are so mysterious."

Peter shrugged his shoulders and returned home. Ted and Bob were taking him out for a Buck's Night to celebrate his final night as a single man.

They had laughed and teased Jennifer unmercifully about the event, flaunting their ideas and reveling in her looks of distaste. Yet the wicked twinkle in their eyes boded trouble if Peter wasn't careful.

Promptly at seven, as arranged, they picked him up.

"Put this over your eyes," insisted Bob who tied the blindfold tightly about his head.

When the car stopped and someone guided him up a few steps, Peter didn't have the slightest idea where he was.

A door clanged open and his nose twitched. He could recognize that smell of spray paint and dust.

That unknown person held his arms tightly as a pair of soft lips kissed him and, as he struggled, another pair of equally soft lips kissed him. Two hands took his and guided him further into the building by what he recognized as two females as their breasts pushed against his arms.

"Where have you been?" It was Joe's voice. Whipping the blindfold off and full of mischief, Joe beamed at him.

Peter was standing in his workshop and the two females holding his arms were the two young apprentices. It was obvious they had also been the ones to kiss him.

"All your workers are here and we felt it wasn't fair to exclude your two youngest," insisted Joe, putting forward a lame excuse for two females joining a traditionally all-male occasion.

Looking around him, Peter could see that Joe had gone to a lot of trouble, arranging with the others to clear the workshop of cars and to decorate it. Big posters with 'Best Wishes, Poor Bugger, Oh, the poor girl, If only she knew what we know' hung on every wall, and every guest sported a black armband of mourning.

Down the center of the workshop, the men had organized a long trestle table laden with steaming Chinese, Thai and Indian food.

Peter was amused when he saw the compulsory Tiger Beer, and he laughed aloud at what they'd placed in the center of the table - a large cake on which someone had outlined in black icing the words 'Don't do it! You'll be sorry!'

All Peter's workers were present as well as local car salesmen and clients. Andrew and his father were there, grinning as much as the Asian clients. It was a multi-cultural evening of joy for the boss.

"Dad and I are Jennifer's spies." Andrew grinned. "Well, so she thinks!"

"The apprentices have been sworn to secrecy and they are in my care," Joe beamed. "They'll be sleeping upstairs and no-one else will be allowed up under any condition. This will be their first and last Buck's Night and an education for them, but it's the age of equality of the sexes so here they are."

Joe's voice dropped away. He was taking his position as the workshop father very seriously.

Bill Williams' great paws lifted Peter off his feet and handed him the first Tiger for the night. The jokes, as they sat around the table chomping their way through the banquet, were all at Peter's expense.

Every joke had brides or bridegrooms as the topic. Repeatedly the married men offered their advice on how to behave on the honeymoon, but Peter was sure their advice was anatomically impossible.

"Yam Seng" followed "Yam Seng" and Peter, who twirled the duck's head, made certain the beak didn't point to him.

Many Tigers later, Peter heard a commotion near the back of the workshop. Everyone around the table cheered, and Peter was convinced they knew what was about to happen. He didn't have to wait long. Andrew and Eric had pulled a tarpaulin from an ornate iron double bed and the Commander was wheeling it into view.

It didn't take Peter long to recognize the occupants of the bed - two store dummies - one wearing a red wig and the other sporting a crescent scar. They were in a most obscene pose, although a sheet artfully draped across their hips hid the actual details. A sign hung above their heads on the cast iron bed head.

'Peter. Not again. Can't I get some sleep tonight?'

The men around the table roared with laughter, and Peter's blushing embarrassment only caused them to laugh even louder. Ted thrust another beer into Peter's hand as the party got into full swing.

By Monday, Peter had recovered sufficiently to remember fragmented details.

At one stage a girl had materialized and had begun stripping, her whole attention concentrated on him. She'd dragged his face against her bare body as she writhed and contorted, encouraged by the cheers of Peter's erstwhile friends.

Peter's confusion and the fact that he had far too much to drink didn't help when she dragged him to the bed and began to undress him. God alone knows what she intended before a thumping on the shutters interrupted her performance.

"Police! Open up!" The order was brief and to the point.

Joe unlocked before pushing the shutters high.

Two police from the local station marched past him, straight to the stripper. "We're here to arrest this sex fiend, Miss. It looks as though we got here just in time to save you."

They grabbed Peter. Throwing him down on the bed, they hauled his wrists to the bed head where they handcuffed him. To the cheers of the crowd, they ignored Peter's yells of innocence but stayed on to playfully pat the stripper and accept some food with a couple of beers before leaving.

Peter's friends had great fun at his expense. He was drenched with beer, chased around the workshop by the stripper and had obscene messages sprayed on his chest. The things Peter couldn't remember were when he passed out, when the party ended or how he got home.

"Some party Boss." Joe was the first to greet him in the morning. "You should have seen your face when the stripper waggled her bum on your lap." Grinning and moaning, he was holding his head as if still recovering.

"If my head didn't ache so much I would laugh."

The others in the workshop, including the apprentices, were in no better shape.

Eventually Easter arrived and the Sydney contingent arrived in Melbourne safely.

The wedding morning dawned, and Peter stood before the mirror adjusting his Sam Brown - his leather belt that included a leather strap over his shoulder attached to his waist belt. Feeling proud, he donned his slouch hat and looked at the medals on his chest.

Standing straight, he studied his reflection in the mirror. Shocked he saw the reflection not of his figure alone but of a second figure in a RAAF uniform standing beside him - a figure with a smile wreathing its face.

The reflection in the mirror raised his arm and saluted.

Peter turned to speak to his father but there was no one else in the room.

Peter knew that these visions - these remembrances - took place at significant times in his life, and he'd learned to accept them when they arrived unexpectedly.

Now the time had arrived for him to commit himself to the woman he loved, his nervousness almost overcame him as a knock came at the door.

"My God, Peter!" Ted was furious and worried. He and Bob had expected to escort their friend in the traditional manner with all the men in formal attire.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked, amazed at Peter's appearance. "Have you taken leave of your senses? Why the uniform? This is no bloody costume ball. For God's sake, get changed. If you turn up in that fancy dress Jennifer will murder you."

The arrival of another military figure interrupted Ted's words and the Regimental Sergeant Major entered the room. He threw a salute.

"Your transport is waiting, Major."

The enigma that still surrounded their friend left both of them speechless. Ted and Bob stared at their Peter who returned the salute. What could they say under these circumstances? The three men quietly followed the Regimental Sergeant Major to the limousine.

"You're a bastard! Why didn't you tell us?" Ted was furious and Bob at his elbow was fuming.

In the car, Peter quietly explained that his regiment had insisted on this military wedding as a gesture of thanks for his bravery so long ago. Briefly and without revealing his whole history, he outlined how he saved the lives of all the men in his platoon.

"Just bear with me and for God's sake hold me up. I'm so nervous I don't know if I have the strength to get through this. I'm terrified I'll make a fool of myself."

With its tires crunching their way around the gravel driveway to the huge doors of the cathedral, the car made a friendly sound in the crisp morning air. Even the peppercorn trees seemed to bow lower in welcome while the magpies threw their heads back and carolled their joy. High over-head a solitary crow croaked its mournful hello to the men.

Two Ghurkhas in full dress uniform opened the car doors. They saluted Peter as Andrew came down the steps to join them.

"Just as well we're all dressed decently. That fellow in the RSM's uniform just sniffed loudly when I wouldn't produce an invitation, and he refused to allow me into the church. When I said I was part of the bridal party - well, he smiled and saluted me.

"God his hands are like legs of ham. That knife at his belt looks bloody dangerous"

Peter laughed at the horrified look on the faces of his bridal party. "Oh, his kukri? Without that he would be naked. It is dangerous and he cannot unsheathe it without drawing blood."

Andrew changed the topic without bothering to wait for an answer. "Where the hell did you get him from, Peter? He's more gorilla than man. Just the person I wouldn't like to meet on a dark night. I thought Ghurkhas were wiry, little men but he's over 6 feet tall and I'm sure he's 12 feet broad. Is he a Sumo wrestler in his spare time? He would make a good footballer. He's a handsome bugger though.

"Hell, I didn't know what to do," Andrew began grumbling, putting on his usual act. "If I didn't know you better I'd believe that Jennifer was getting a handsome gentleman as her husband."

Hearing Andrew's familiar teasing style, Peter felt his nerves settle. All morning he'd been rushing and worrying about every detail and now it was far too late to worry.

"What a beautiful cathedral. The leadlight windows set in this sandstone are exquisite. Look at the way the peppercorns and the weeping willows over-hang the slate roof. They'd make it cool inside even on the hottest summer day. Must have taken you ages to find this church although I don't know why you dragged us this far." Ted stopped before entering the church to stroke the hand-hewn sandstone wall. He turned to look out across the red graveled driveway.

Bob laughed. "I wouldn't travel this far even on a holiday."

Quietly Ted added, "This church has seen a lot of weddings but none as joyous as this one."

"Bet the bride is late, and I'll double the stakes if she could have laughed at your Buck's Night," Bob chuckled.

"I should have taken a photograph of you and that stripper." Ted said, and Andrew joined in the laughter. "You looked as though you were going to faint."

"No bet." Peter grinned. "Our last bet got me into terrible trouble and now I would not be brave enough to bet."

Waving a fist under Bob's, nose Peter growled at him. "Today you'll say nothing. For once in your life you'll control yourself." Peter's words had a nervous bite to them. "Please behave. Today is the most important day in my life."

The two groomsmen and the best man gathered around the groom.

"We're here to help. Don't worry," they reassured him.

Andrew's next words brought a wry grin to Peter's face.

"Dad and I sneaked back to the farm and we hid in the shearer's quarters. Unfortunately Jennifer caught us and demanded to know what happened at the infamous buck's night, especially when she saw how hung over we were. Mum saved us and told Jennifer to leave us alone. What a great night! I haven't laughed so much for years."

"I had to stay outdoors today, so I didn't see Dad much," he said wryly. "It's a mad house out there with women rushing hither and thither, matron of honor, bridesmaids, mother of the bride and the bride. Mad they are, absolutely and utterly mad. Mum's giving orders, no one's listening and Dad's trying to help but only getting in the way. Been like that for days."

A polite cough brought them back to the present and the Bishop led them up the long aisle through two long lines of Ghurkhas who snapped to attention as they passed.

Patiently waiting, the men of the bridal party stood on the altar steps at the right of the aisle.

"Never fear I haven't lost a groom yet," the Bishop reassured Peter, but his words didn't do much to quell the nerves that had been building over the weeks, especially when he added, with a grin, "Have you got the rings?"

Peter sagged and almost fainted, but Ted grabbed him.

"They're safe," he said. "Ministers always ask that question."

Noting Peter's extreme state of anxiety, the Bishop suggested they sit.

The men looked about as the church filled and the organist began playing some interludes. The tunes became more and more familiar when the organist began playing them for the third time.

Bob leaned across and whispered, "Bride's late. I won that bet."

Peter's stony face reflected his lack of humor.

Before he sould reply, Jennifer's Mum appeared beside him. She bent down, kissing him on the cheek. "Jennifer's here and she'll be proud to see you in uniform."

The Bishop signaled the men of the bridal party to stand, and Peter turned to look down the aisle lined with Ghurkhas standing at attention and facing the center of the aisle as a guard of honor for the bride. He wasn't surprised to see Air Force Uniforms, one Naval Uniform and some Army Uniforms scattered amongst the congregation.

The two massive oak doors at the end of the aisle remained closed, but finally, as he watched, they creaked open and Peter could feel the throb through his feet as the opening chords of Wagner's Bridal Chorus thundered in his ears. Framed in the doorway were the flower girls as they began to move down the aisle. They moved forward and the bridesmaids with the Matron of Honor replaced them in the doorway.

Peter was almost beside himself as the vision of Jennifer, a shaft of sunlight forming a halo around her head and her face hidden behind the filmy gauze of white lace, beamed at him from the entrance.

Suddenly aware of all her family, friends and well-wishers filling the church pews, together with a smattering of uniforms representing Peter's military 'family', Jennifer paused at the door. She knew she was about to become Mrs. Peter O'Brien, but the two lines of Ghurkhas and the length of the aisle intimidated her.

Her father squeezed her arm and whispered in her ear, "Your man's waiting for you and he looks so handsome. Let's go and join him."

On the arm of her father, she began the long walk towards Peter. His eyes were on her she could tell he was unaware of the bridesmaids and flower girls who led the way. She knew he could see the flowers in her hand shaking violently.

As they reached Peter's side, Eric lifted Jennifer's veil slightly and kissed her on the cheek. She had barely a moment to register the tear that was forming in his eye but the sight of it almost moved her to tears herself.

Eric then turned and offered Jennifer's hand to Peter. It was only a small step from her father's side to Peter, but Jennifer believed it was as big a journey as she had ever taken.

Peter's hands felt sweaty, and it made Jennifer glad to see that she was not the only one feeling so jittery about this whole ceremony. As soon as he took her hand, however, he seemed to gain strength from her and she felt his courage flow into her in the same moment.

Peter knew she was as nervous as he was.

To give them strength, Peter took her free hand in his and smiled.

She leant close to him.

"I had forgotten how you'd be dressed," she whispered, "But when your friends opened the car doors and saluted, I was suddenly reminded.

"You're so handsome in uniform."

The strength Peter gained from her presence made his vow, "I do," ring from the rafters. Jennifer's "I do" was much softer and perfectly demure.

Peter did hear, "You may kiss the bride," and gently lifted her veil to see his mother's diamonds in Jennifer's ears and her necklace cradled in the soft shadow of her cleavage.

His blue eyes sparkled and danced with the joy and pride of knowing she was now his wife as he bent to allow his lips to meld with hers.

How long the kiss lasted she didn't know, but she did know that the act was telling her how much he loved her and how proud he was to have her beside him.

The fire in her eyes told him of her love and joy and was a sight he would never forget. It burnt into his heart. Smiling radiantly, her eyes gleamed as she lifted her lips to his.

They were married!

The sounds of "Love Changes Everything" resounded from the cathedral's rafters while the bridal party went into the sacristy to sign the marriage register. When the bridal party reappeared at the top of the aisle, there were not many dry eyes amongst the women.

"May I present Major and Mrs. Peter O'Brien?" The bishop sounded pleased.

Then the RSM stood, demanding everyone's attention as his voice boomed out.

"When the Major and his beautiful wife leave the church they will be standing at the top of the steps waiting for you and your cameras. They will wait so there is no rush. Please make your way out of this magnificent cathedral through the side doors."

He and his men moved in a formal procession toward the exit.

The organ throbbed into life and together Peter and Jennifer walked into their future with the stirring bars of the Wedding March to assist them. It was a long aisle for Jennifer when she'd made her entry, and it was an even longer walk as the married couple made their way back down it, their friends wanting to congratulate them at every step. When it became too much for them, Peter swung Jennifer into his arms and kissed her soundly. Eventually they stood at the top of the steps and Jennifer gasped as two lines of Ghurkhas flanked the red carpet sweeping down the stairs to the path below, swords by their sides, waiting to salute the bride and groom as they passed.

The carillon rang its joy to the town as the newlyweds posed for photographs.

Satisfied everyone was out of the church when the Bishop appeared, the RSM marched to the end of the line and flicked a salute at Peter who donned his slouch hat and returned the salute.

The RSM barked an order and the swords swept up as one to form an arch. Hand-in-hand, Peter and Jennifer dipped their heads, slowly making their way through the archway and giving everyone time to take photos.

Surrounded by guests, Peter and Jennifer concentrated on being together. Not even when Susie and the Commander gave them both hugs did they stop holding hands.

JAScooter
JAScooter
114 Followers
12