Wolf Lake Ch. 04

Story Info
Sam learns something new about her mate.
11.4k words
4.68
87.5k
29

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/06/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
762 Followers

This has quickly become one of my favorite series. I have plans for the members of our pack and I hope that you will all return to see what happens next. Please remember that as the author I retain all rights in this work including the right to copy, publish or reproduce in any medium. And thank you for all your supportive comments.

* * * * *

He found her on the northern trail leading towards the pack's clearing and mountain shelter. As always, it was Roland's duty to lead the hunt. He had headed out early that morning before anyone else had woken to search the surrounding area. Roland was looking for two things; prey and danger. There had been movement from neighboring packs and Nafarius wanted to make sure that none of them were ambushed while hunting for their food.

Roland lifted his head and sniffed the wind. His nostrils flared and instantly he was able to identify several surrounding scents including those of a rabbit, squirrel, and skunk. Noting which way the skunk had drifted he was careful to give the small animal a wide berth. No one would appreciate it if he came home smelling of the animal's foul musk and Sam would likely make him sleep outside. Thinking of his mistress cause Roland to smile. Things had worked out well, far better then either he or Nafarius had ever imagined. Gertrude was the only one that still didn't accept their leader's mate but that was more a matter of wounded pride than anything else and she was smart enough not to tempt Sam's anger again.

Turning his head Roland caught the scent of something unexpected. Death. While a natural part of life, especially theirs, it wasn't normal for such a strong smell to linger. These woods were control by Nafarius and no other pack was allowed to hunt here without first acquiring the leader's permission. None had been granted the right to pass onto their land in several months and their pack hadn't hunted in this area for at least that long. Nafarius and Roland were careful to rotate their hunting grounds to give nature a time to replenish itself. The woods to the north had been left alone for sometime yet whatever was out there had been killed recently.

Roland stilled and listened to the sounds surrounding him. It was early and the forest was still quite but not unnaturally so. Moving slowly, careful to pay attention to where he placed each paw, Roland moved towards the scent. He was able to move without making a sound and the branches remained still, undisturbed by his passing. It took him several minutes but he was able to locate the source of the smell. He circled until it was in his line of sight but by then he knew exactly what he had found.

The woman lay naked on a pile of broken branches and crushed leaves. She appeared to be unconscious and what Roland had mistaken for death was at the very least serious injuries. He could see the slight rise and fall in her body that indicated breath, and life. But there was no telling how long she had been there or how long she would last.

Mindful that this could be a trap Roland sat back on his haunches and waited. No one could have known that he would be coming here today but that didn't stop him from being cautious. There were many that would use such tactics as a way to snare an unsuspecting passerby but as he sat there listening to the woods around him Roland was unable to pick up the scent or sounds of anyone else.

Deciding that he'd waited long enough, he moved out from his hiding place and walked over to the where the woman lay still unconscious. As he drew closer another scent reached him for the first time. It was distinctly animal and it was coming from the woman. Not strong enough to carry on the wind she had the unmistakable smell of a lycanthrope but it was only after he had moved closer was he able to detect it. He couldn't say for sure that she was a werewolf but there were no lycanthrope of other animals in this area.

Assuming she was from a neighboring pack, Roland gently rolled her over. Sitting back he grimaced at the sight before him. Her face was black and blue beaten beyond recognition. There was dried blood on her face, chin and neck and what was left of her clothes were torn into shreds. Through the ripped material he was able to see that most of her body had suffered a similar fate as her face. There didn't appear to be an inch on her left untouched, undamaged.

Roland found himself growing red with rage. There was no reason in the world that could justify beating a woman to such an extent and then leaving her to die. Leaning forward, careful not to touch her, he sniffed and caught the unmistakable scent of blood just beneath the surface. Only this wasn't a good sign, the blood was too close to the surface and indicated internal bleeding.

With a growl, Roland shifted back into human form and gently picked the woman up. No matter who she was or where she came from he couldn't just leave her here to die. He would take her home and have Sam and the other women look her over. He was sure there was something that could be done.

Roland gave a low whistle of warning as he approached the clearing. He wasn't sure how the woman had come to be beaten and unconscious in the woods and he wanted the pack on alert. At his signal several men disbursed; they would search the surrounding area looking for any signs of danger. It didn't matter why Roland had called the warning, the fact that he had was enough to get everyone up and moving.

Nafarius stood waiting for him, Sam by his side. If Nafarius' scowl was any indication Roland would have to say that the leader wasn't happy to have his mate out in the open. Sam, with her arms crossed over her ample breasts, gave no indication of moving. She openly glared at her mate letting him know what she had thought of his order to remain inside with the others.

"What happened?" Nafarius looked at his second-in-command and waited.

Sam saw the unconscious woman and immediately moved forward to help. Before Nafarius could stop her she had called for Maddie and the two of them gathered the young woman and carried her inside.

Roland, for whatever reason, was reluctant to let the woman out of her sight and followed his mistress inside without answering his leader's question.

Nafarius sighed; it seemed today was the day that everyone choose to ignore him. First Sam and now Roland. If he didn't know any better he would have started questioning just who was in charge. Sam seemed determined to sweep in and take control however he knew that wasn't her intention. He knew that she was a caring individual and her thoughts had only been getting the injured woman some help.

Sam and Maddie placed the woman on a pile of blankets next to the fire. Despite it being summer the early mornings were often chilly and today was no exception. Kneeling beside her Sam set about helping the new stranger. "Maddie, bring me a bowl of warm water, some towels and Glenis."

"Yes, ma'am." Maddie went to do as her mistress had ordered only there was no need to fetch Glenis. The older woman had once been a nurse and was often the one to care for sick or injured pack members while they healed. Despite their natural ability to heal no one knew when a werewolf would reach his or her limit and require the aid of modern medical technology. Word had already reached Glenis and she sat waiting on the other side of the still unconscious woman.

Together, Sam and Glenis removed the rest of her clothing and started bathing her body. Most of the blood came away and Glenis was able to see that most of the injuries had been superficial cuts and were already healing. Although, in her mind the young woman should have been completely healed by now. In her unconscious state she was unable to shift into animal form, which allowed for the fastest healing time, however the injuries were minor and should have long since healed.

Sam ran a warm, wet cloth over the young woman's face and marveled that she had been able to survive something so brutal. Her face was black and blue and swollen; there was blood clotted in her thick black hair and it was while she was washing it away that she discovered a large lump on the back of her head. "Glenis, take a look at this."

Sam moved over and allowed the woman some room. Glenis slipped her fingers into the woman's hair and felt along her head. "She was either hit with something or fell and hit her head. I can't be sure which but either way we need to get the swelling down."

Sam could see by the look in the older woman's eyes that she didn't think that would be enough. " Is there anyway to wake her up enough so that she can change?" Sam knew that with a head injury the best thing was for the animal to heal itself.

While Sam and the other women tried to figure out what to do, Nafarius stood questioning Roland. His second-in-command had yet to take his eyes of the injured woman. "Do you know her?"

Roland shook his head. "No, I found her in the northern hunting grounds. She was unconscious. I looked around before bringing her back but I didn't see sighs of anyone else. Do you think she'll be alright?"

Nafarius was puzzled by Roland's reaction to the young woman. "Sam and Glenis will do all they can. With the two of them by her side she has the best chance. Both of those women are too stubborn to let someone die on them." Nafarius was trying to lighten his friend's mood but it was easily apparent that it hadn't worked.

Roland gave Nafarius a small smile. "I know Sam will do her best. She doesn't like harm to come to her people, unless she's the one inflicting it." It was true. Sam had shown herself to be fiercely protective of everyone in her pack. While at the same time she was quick to administer punishment whenever the need arose. She was swift but she was fair.

Nafarius was thoughtful for a moment. "Well, I think the best thing to do then is let Sam and Glenis do their work. Once the woman is awake we can question her as to who she is, where she's from and what happened."

Roland nodded and turned his attention back to where Sam and Glenis stood whispering. After a moment Sam turned and approached. "Nafarius, the young woman has a large bump on her head. We're afraid that's what is causing her unconsciousness. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do. There also appears to be some internal bleeding, which if she was in animal form would heal itself quickly. However, she can't change and the healing is taking too long."

"What are you saying?" Roland stood with his arms crossed looking down at his mistress. While she stood several inches over most of the women she was shorter than he. He never tried to use that height to intimidate her, knowing it would be useless. Today, however, he wanted straight answers. Something had happened to him when he found the woman beaten and unconscious in the woods. She'd seemed so lost and vulnerable and he found himself to be protective towards her. Roland wanted to insist that no more harm come to her and that Sam save her. Unfortunately, he knew that wasn't possible.

"I'm saying we need her conscious so that she can change. Unfortunately, we've done all we can think of but she remains unconscious. Glenis is afraid that she may be comatose in which case we'll never get her to change." Sam took a deep breath. "There is one thing we thought of but there is no guarantee that it will work."

"Do it."

Sam glared at Roland. "Wouldn't you like to know what it is first?"

"If you thought it would do more harm then good you wouldn't have suggest it." Roland had absolute faith in her.

"What did you have in mind?" Nafarius was the one to ask the question. He could see that Sam was uncomfortable and somewhat reluctant to broach the subject.

"Glenis pointed out that I had been able to prevent Gertrude from changing. She suggested that I might try doing just the opposite and instead try and assist the woman to change into animal form." Sam wasn't sure she wanted to do it, for several reasons. What if she failed? What if the young woman suffered from the invasion? What if she succeeded? There was no telling what would happen then.

Nafarius didn't like the sound of that. "I don't think that is a good idea. We don't know who this woman is, where she comes from or why she was beaten."

"Are you suggesting it was her fault?" Roland's voice held a distinct note of rage and his hands had become fists at his side.

"No; all I'm suggesting is that we think this through. I will not subject my mate or my pack to danger for some stranger." Nafarius' voice rang strong with warning. He was willing to take a lot from his second-in-command but there were limits to how much.

"Look," Sam put a restraining hand on Nafarius' chest, "I don't think there is much danger here. If I am able to help this woman change, and that's a big if, she most likely will remain unconscious even in animal form until she's healed."

"How can you be sure of that?" Nafarius asked. "What if you help her change and she emerges a conscious, injured animal. She'll feel threatened and will likely attack even those trying to help her."

"I can't be sure but I also can't sit by and watch her die. Changing is her only chance and her only chance to change is with me." Sam heaved a huge sigh. "Like I said, I don't even know if I'll be able to help but if it will make you feel better we can clear the rest of the pack out and post guards until it's done."

Nafarius considered the possibilities. He had no doubt that Sam and Roland would abide by his decision even if it meant doing nothing and letting the woman die. However, he was of a like mind to Sam; if there was a chance she could help he needed to let her take it. He could reasonably ensure her safety and besides, he was curious to see who she was and find out what had happened. "Alright. Clear the mountain. Roland, have everyone wait outside. I want four guards posted inside and I want Glenis to assist incase there are any problems along the way."

"Thank you." Sam turned and walked back to what she considered her patient. She wasn't a nurse and her healing skills were limited to what she'd learned in first aid class and from classes taught to hikers. Still, she felt like there might be a chance she could help and she intended to see it through.

Glenis knelt beside the young woman, a cold compress on the swelling still present on the back of her head. She couldn't tell anything from her mistress' expression and she feared the worse.

"Maddie, wait outside with the others. If something goes wrong I don't want you in here."

Maddie looked from Glenis to Sam; she wanted to stay but she would never refuse a direct order. "Is there anything I can bring you before I go?"

"No, thank you." Sam smiled and watched as the rest of the pack filed out. There was no discussion as to what was to take place and only Maddie and those involved would know. If it failed or succeeded they need never discuss what happened.

Roland ordered four guards inside the mountain and another two to stand outside of the entrance. Should the young woman wake while changing she would have to get through Nafarius and himself before reaching the guards. All together there were eight men standing between her and the rest of the pack. Unfortunately, Sam and Glenis would be the first ones attacked. Despite his need to save this woman, Roland knew that he could never exchange his mistress' life for that of a stranger.

"Sam?"

"Yes Roland?" Sam didn't bother looking up. She was studying the young woman and trying to get a sense of who and what she was.

"I was wrong. I don't want to see you in any danger. Please, don't do this."

Sam looked up a smiled. "It's alright, I'm not doing this for you. Even if you hadn't insisted I would have."

"Why?" But he already knew.

"I can't just stand by and do nothing. If there is a chance I can save her then I have to take it."

"Even if it means giving up your life for hers?" Nafarius stood behind Sam staring down at the top of her head. He was angry and it came out in his voice.

"Some how I don't think it will come to that." Sam looked up and realized for the first time that Nafarius was truly scared for her. "Hey, I'll be fine."

Nafarius didn't take comfort in her words. "You insist on putting yourself in danger. When the warning came you followed me outside without thought to what could be out there..."

"Just the same as you," Sam interjected.

"We're not talking about me, beside as leader it is my duty to meet whatever danger comes this way and to protect the pack. And now you insist on tampering with an unknown animal."

"It is also my duty as your mate to see to the well-being and protection of the pack. They are just as much my family as they are yours."

"She," Nafarius pointed to the woman on the ground, "is not a pack member."

"No, but what if she were? What if one of ours was injured and someone could have helped but didn't." Sam understood his concerns and shared in them but that wasn't enough to stop her from trying to help.

Nafarius knew what she said was true but how was he to explain that when it came to her the only thing that mattered was her safety. Shaking his head he took a step back. "Do what you can for her, we'll talk after."

Every one grew quiet, waiting to see what would happen. The silence stretched, grew until Sam wanted to scream. Staring down at the young woman she tried to remember how it had felt, what she had done when she had managed to reach inside of Gertrude and prevent the woman from changing. Things were so different now; then she had been angry, in a blind rage and in animal form. Now she sat scared and still human. What if she failed? What if she had the power within her but failed to understand how it worked?

Closing her eyes, Sam pushed all her thoughts, worries and doubts aside. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly she opened her eyes. The woman was still there but everyone else seemed to have been reduced to nothing more the dark, quiet background noise. They were simply shadows in the room watching and waiting but not really apparent of what was about to take place.

She was young, Sam guessed her to be around twenty-three. Looking at her Sam couldn't help but be reminded of a gypsy with her dark brown hair that lay thick and wavy around her head. Her skin was also dark, originally an olive hue that had deepened in the sun and her eyes where almost almond shaped, the corners tipped up slightly. Some how Sam knew that when she opened them they would be a deep, dark brown -- almost black. Despite all the bruises she was beautiful, the sum of her parts greater than the individuals. She was striking with her dark features and lethal body. Like most lycanthropes she was lean and muscular without an ounce of fat on her. Sam, with her attraction for both men and women could appreciate the beauty spread out before her.

She focused on that, concentrated on the person, the being before her and tried to move deeper. Sam imagined herself moving closer, feeling the heat from the woman's body and saturating her senses with her smell. Like any animal she familiarized herself with those details known only to the most primitive senses. Having committed the woman's scent to memory it was one Sam would always recognize and realizing that seemed to deepen the intimacy between them. She could feel the woman breathing, hear her heart beat and catch the flow of blood through her veins and Sam sought to emulate it. Within minutes the two of them were in sync. Feeling as if she was made of air Sam sought to settle herself more deeply inside of the woman. Reaching out with her senses she pushed past whatever physical barriers there might have been. Despite the purely metaphysical aspects of it all there was a sound resistance, a ripping and tearing as she pushed past it and obvious pain.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
762 Followers