Words of the Week 09

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary for writers
855 words
3.57
69.7k
1
0

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,279 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


SPLENETIC
adjective

Pronounced: spleen-NET-tick

Meaning: Marked by morose bad temper, sullen malevolence, or spiteful, peevish anger.

Example: Thesplenetic critic gave the musical a scathing review.

* * * * *

INSIPID
adjective

Pronounced: en-SIP-pid

Meaning: Dull, uninteresting, commonplace.

Example: Jed could hardly bear listening to the sportscaster’sinsipid comments.

* * * * *

CHIMERICAL
adjective

Pronounced: ki-MARE-eh-kal

Meaning: Unreal and existing only as the product of a wild unrestrained imagination.

Example: Many video games pit the player againstchimerical monsters.

* * * * *

FACILITATOR
noun

Pronounced: fuh-SILL-ih-tay-tore

Meaning: One that makes something easier or less difficult.

Example: As a teacher, Mr. Logan considers himself afacilitator of learning rather than a dispenser of information.

* * * * *

PHEROMONE
noun

Pronounced: FAIR-o-moan

Meaning: A chemical substance that is produced by an animal and serves as a specific stimulus to other individuals of the same species for one or more behavioral responses.

Example: When attacked by another beetle, the defensive beetle emitted a repellentpheromone.

* * * * *

JUDICIOUS
adjective

Pronounced: joo-DIH-shuss

Meaning: Directed or governed by sound, usually dispassionate judgment, characterized by discretion.

Example: Jane’s mom saw to it that her summer activities were ajudicious mixture of chores and amusement.

* * * * *

HOAX
noun

Pronounced: HOKES

Meaning: An act intended to trick or dupe; a piece of trickery.

Example: Sarah forwarded the e-mail message, unaware she was participating in ahoax.

* * * * *

ALOOF
adjective

Pronounced: uh-LOOF

Meaning: Removed or distant, either physically or spiritually and usually by choice and with indifference to the feelings, opinions or interests of others.

Example: Greg’saloof personality discouraged his gregarious colleagues.

* * * * *

GUILLOTINE
noun

Pronounced: GEE-yo-teen

Meaning: A machine for beheading by means of a heavy ax or blade that slides down in vertical guides.

Example: Theguillotine was considered a merciful means of capital punishment when it was invented.

* * * * *

BAMBOOZLE
verb

Pronounced: bam-BOO-zull

Meaning: Conceal one’s true motives from someone, especially by elaborately feigning good intentions so as to gain an end or achieve an advantage; to mislead or hoodwink.

Example: Gavin tried tobamboozle his neighbor into offering her garage for his party by saying how much it needed a good airing out.

* * * * *

OBSTREPEROUS
adjective

Pronounced: ahb-STREP-err-uss

Meaning: Stubbornly defiant; resisting control or restraint, often with a show of noisy disorder.

Example: The noisy diner was asked to leave but becameobstreperous and had to be escorted out of the restaurant.

* * * * *

DISMAL
adjective

Pronounced: DIZZ-mull

Meaning: Marked by gloom, dejection, somberness or depression of spirits.

Example: The children who forgot their gloves spent adismal recess looking out the window at the snow.

* * * * *

VORTEX
noun

Pronounced: VORE-tecks

Meaning: A rapidly spinning current of water.

Example: The toy sailboat got caught in thevortex and spun wildly as the bathtub drained.

* * * * *

LOUPE
noun

Pronounced: LOOP

Meaning: A small magnifying glass used by jewelers and watchmakers.

Example: At his jewelry store, Arlo always wears aloupe on a chain around his neck.

* * * * *

TACITURN
adjective

Pronounced: TAH-sit-turn

Meaning: Habitually silent; temperamentally disinclined or reluctant to talk or converse.

Example: Mrs. Gibbons found it challenging to draw thetaciturn boy into class discussions.

* * * * *

ENVISAGE
verb

Pronounced: in-VISS-sidge

Meaning: Have a mental picture in advance of realization.

Example: Benjamin could scarcelyenvisage the scale of the project, so he broke it down into smaller, more manageable units.

* * * * *

MODICUM
noun

Pronounced: MAH-di-kum

Meaning: A small portion; a limited quantity or amount.

Example: Bernie displayed not even amodicum of modesty as he bragged about his hole-in-one.

* * * * *

KERCHIEF
noun

Pronounced: KERR-chiff

Meaning: a square of cloth usually folded and worn by women as a head covering.

Example: Before Eileen went out to tend to her garden, she put on a blue and whitekerchief.

* * * * *

QUAGMIRE
noun

Pronounced: KWAG-myer

Meaning: A complex or precarious position where disengagement is difficult.

Example: In his position as protocol officer, Russell often found himself in aquagmire of delicate relationships.

* * * * *

WRAITH
noun

Pronounced: RAYTH

Meaning: An apparition of exact likeness of a living person usually seen just before that person’s death.

Example: Thewraith of a person shortly to die is a firm article in the creed of Scottish superstition.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,279 Followers