Wronged

Story Info
Two broken-hearted, hopeless romantics find love.
16.8k words
4.78
62.1k
86
27
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,781 Followers

He heard the scream from 50 feet away but didn't see what happened. His three-year old son came running across the grass from the slide holding his eye and wailing like a Banshee. He stood up holding his six-month old daughter in anticipation as he screamed, "She kicked me in the eye!" pointing a little girl running up behind him.

As the boy wrapped his arms around his daddy's legs the girl arrived and said, "It was an accident!"

His son continued to scream as the girl's mother came running up to them and said to him, "I'm SO sorry. They were on the slide and your son went down first and as my daughter came down, he turned around and her foot hit him in the eye. Is he okay?"

"I'm sure he's fine. Those things tend to scare children more than they hurt them." He told his son it would be okay and said to the girl, "Don't feel bad, sweetie. It wasn't your fault. Sometimes things like this just happen."

By this point, his son had caught his breath and a quick look from his dad and a pat on the head were enough to send him running back to the slide with the little girl in tow.

"Again, I'm really sorry," she said.

"No, really. It's fine. People get hurt in accidents all the time. It's part of life." He looked down at his baby girl and said, "The real hurt comes when it's down on purpose."

"Is everything okay?" the woman asked perplexed by his comment.

"Oh, I don't want to burden you with my problems. I'm sure you've got plenty of your own."

"I've seen you here a bunch of times," she told him. "I just felt kind of awkward about saying 'hello' or talking to you. I'm sorry it was under these circumstances."

She saw him look down at the big diamond ring on her finger and said, "Well, that's perfectly understandable."

"We're gonna stay a little while longer so if you wanna talk, I'm a pretty decent listener," she told him.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," he told mustering up a rare smile.

"Boy or girl?" the woman asked looking at the bundle in his arms.

"Girl."

She coo-chee-cooed the baby and asked, "How old is she?"

"Six months."

"She's so beautiful!" The woman pointed to the bench beside them and said, "Do you mind?"

"Oh, not at all. Please."

"I'm Laura, by the way. And my daughter's name is Hannah."

"Nick," he said as he waited for her to sit down.

Nick Cavanaugh was doing his best to cope with not just the end of his marriage but being left to raise his two children without her. The news that she wanted out not only came as a complete surprise, it had devastated him; so much so that he'd moved out of their apartment and back home with his parents. It was only temporary, but it was essential. He'd never been dependent on anyone for anything in his adult life, but caring for two small children on his own while working full-time was more than he could handle. In fact, he'd had to give up the job he loved in construction and go back into real estate working with his father to make time for his children.

Looking back, he still couldn't understand. The only thing Nick had ever wanted was a family. A loving wife and children. At their high school graduation party, he'd proposed to Kelli, the love of his life, and she'd said happily said yes. They were married on the 4th of July and they'd even waited five years to have kids just so they could really get to know one another. Their son, Matt, was born the following year. Just six months ago, Callie was born. At 27—almost 28—Nick had never been happier and he thought she was, too.

He was working a lot of hours and making some real money and he finally had everything he'd ever wanted. Kelli was gorgeous. She was fun. She was gregarious. She was a classic extrovert and a perfect opposite to his quiet, introverted self. Nick wasn't anti-social, he just didn't need a lot of people. He had everything he needed. A good job, a beautiful, loving wife, two wonderful children, and two loving, concerned parents willing to help out in any way possible.

Evidently, it wasn't enough for Kelli. In order to get back in shape after her second child, she'd started taking aerobics classes. Nick didn't think anything about it when she mentioned the instructor happened to be a guy. It seemed a little odd, but what difference did it make? Apparently, a lot as Kelli quickly found herself captivated by his smile and soon found herself staying for a smoothie then agreeing to meet him somewhere for coffee and finally at his place for... Nick still couldn't even say the word out loud. He'd had a vague feeling something was wrong, but he was so trusting and so in love it never dawned on him she could do that with another man.

When she broke the news to him three months ago, she'd already mentally left him. She wanted out and she didn't care what it cost her—not even her children. "I'll always be their mother," she said defensively when he told her she was abandoning them.

"Yeah, biologically you will indeed always be their mother. But if you're not in their lives, you won't be their mom, the woman who loves them and cares for them and who raises them. Forget about the hurt you're causing me. How can you turn your backs on them like that?"

"I want more, Nick. I married you when I was 18, for heaven's sake. I was a baby! How could I know there was so much more to life than sending you off to work and sitting at home babysitting all day, every day? I'm sorry, but that's not the life I want. You're the one who wanted the kids and the family. I want to have some fun. Why can't you understand that?" she pleaded.

"Because there are two children asleep down the hall who need their mother and the one who's old enough to understand will want to know where you are when he wakes up in the morning. What am I supposed to tell him, Kelli? That you're in some other man's bed? For Christ's sake, what is wrong with you?"

She was as cold as ice as she took off her wedding ring and handed it to him. "I'm sorry, Nick. I can't do this anymore. I don't know what you'll them him, but you'll think of something. You always do." She forced the ring into his hand, gave him an air kiss on the cheek, turned around, grabbed her bags, and left.

"That's horrible!" Laura said. "I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine ever doing that to my children."

"I couldn't ever imagine my wife doing that to us before it happened." He looked at her and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that in a way that sounded like it implied you might..."

"No offense taken. I know exactly what you meant," she assured him. "My mom is going through something similar. No kids at home so it's not the same, but the hurt is just as real, you know?"

"I'm sorry," Nick said not even knowing the specifics.

"My dad has always been my hero," she began without prompting. "He married my mom when she was right out of high school—just like you and your wife. He was 25, rich, and very handsome. She was smitten and fell head over heels in love with him. Their 25th anniversary was last month, but I didn't know until two days ago that she spent it all alone in their big, empty house. She finally told me he admitted to having an affair for over a year. The crazy thing is all my mom ever wanted was him. Well, maybe one or two more children. He always said he did too, but after I was born they had to do a total hysterectomy and that was that. I'm not sure either one of them ever completely got over it, but family was everything for her. Evidently, it wasn't for my dad. I still love him, of course, but I'm also mad as hell for what he's done."

She looked over at him and said, "Geez. I'm so sorry. Here I am just prattling away about my problems when you're dealing with something so awful. Again, I'm really sorry, Nick."

"Me, too. I mean for your mom," he said.

"Well, I need to get my Hannah home for lunch and a nap. I wish I had something clever or helpful to say, but..."

"No, it's fine. There really isn't anything to say, but it was really nice talking to you, Laura. Maybe we'll run into one another here again sometime."

"Yeah. I'd like that." She stood up and smiled as she said, "So...take care, okay?"

"You, too," he said forcing another smile.

She started to walk away then turned around and said, "I just don't understand. I mean, you're a really good-looking guy. I think my husband is the greatest, most handsome man on earth, but you're just incredibly...hot. And you seem like a really nice guy, too. I honestly don't get it, Nick. It's her loss." She smiled but not in a flirtatious way.

He waved weakly at her as she called out for her daughter. He then stood up and went to retrieve Matt as it was also time for him to get something to eat and take a nap.

"How was the park today, honey?" his mother, Glenda, asked.

"Okay. Same old. You know. Matt took a foot to the eye but he's no worse for wear. Just an accident on the slide."

"Let me see!" she said to her grandson with deep concern. She looked at his face and said, "I can't even tell." She kissed him on top of the head and said, "Your dad's right, buddy. You'll live. Okay, let's go get your hands washed and then we'll have something to eat."

"I want a hotdog and pickles!" he said happily as Nana took him by the hand to the bathroom to clean him up.

Nick laid Callie down and made himself a sandwich and for the umpteenth time, replayed the events of the last few months in his head. Not once, but over and over in an endless loop the way he always did.

His mother's return temporarily broke the spell. He looked up and told her, "I gotta get to work, Mom." He turned to Matt and said, "I'll see later okay, Big Guy?" He picked his son up and kissed his chubby cheeks a bunch of times real fast making him laugh before handing him back to Nana.

"I'm glad you went back to work with your father, Nick. You really need the flexibility." She threw a hotdog in the microwave and said, "And I'm glad you're home, too. I know this isn't permanent, but we're so glad to help out. You can stay as long as you need to. You know that, right?"

He gave his mom a kiss on the forehead and said, "Yes, I do. And I appreciate it more than I can say, Mom. Okay, gotta run. See you tonight."

Nick loved construction and had always hated real estate. He got his license right out of high school and worked with his dad for several months, but he couldn't stand working in an office and walking around houses with picky buyers all day long. He preferred hard work and being outside, but construction meant being to work at 7:30am and getting off at 5pm or later with overtime a regular part of his life. He needed to be able to spend time with his kids, so reluctantly, he'd gone back to Cavanaugh Realty where his dad was both the owner and primary broker.

Regardless of where he went, Nick had always attracted a lot of attention and that was one of the things that drove his soon-to-be ex-wife crazy. She was as hot as he was, but she was insanely jealous and that made things all the more ironic as he'd never once cheated on her. In fact, he'd only had eyes for her since they met their freshman year. Even then, he knew he'd marry her and that she was all he'd ever want or need. "Yeah, right," he told himself as he walked into the building his father owned.

He looked at the front desk and hoped he might just this once avoid Heidi...

"Hi, Nick!" she said as she looked up and saw him.

"Oh, hey there, Heidi," he said as he tried to walk past her desk without engaging in conversation.

He never knew whether she really was trying to set him up with one of her friends or if perhaps she was flirting with him herself. She was married, but as he'd recently learned the hard way, that no longer meant much to him now that he knew married women sometimes do flirt—and more. She seemed to have an endless list of single friends and a smaller one of divorcees she knew and she rarely let him get by without trying to show him someone's pic or tell him how she had just the right girl for him.

"So...let me you show you something," she said starting in on him.

He stopped and said, "Heidi? My divorce isn't even final yet. Can you give it a rest?" He saw the hurt in her eyes and said, "I'm sorry. I know you're only trying to help." He moved closer to the desk and forced another smile. "You've been really great. I'm just not ready, okay?"

Her smile came back and she told him, "Well, whenever you are, just let me know, okay? I have this friend who thinks you're smokin' hot...cuz you are, by the way, and she's dying to meet you. But don't wait too long, because she really is a hottie. Someone's gonna scoop her up quick!"

"Yeah, sure. I'll definitely let you know. So...any messages?"

She handed him a small stack of call-backs and a referral. He sorted through them as he headed for his office. As he prioritized whom to call first he had to admit this was a pretty good gig. Flexible hours, clean working conditions, and although he never thought of himself the way other women did, he was a charmer. Time and time again, he could close a sale by flashing that smile of his to the woman looking with her husband as he told her how he could imagine them there in that house raising a family. She would then convince her husband this was the place for them and they'd be putting in an offer before they went home.

Partly because of that and partly because he was good at it his job, Nick was well on his way to being employee of the month as he did his best to make peace with a job he didn't particularly like or even want to do. For now though, it was good enough and as with everything else he did, he'd give 110% at selling houses—like or not. He picked up his phone, made the first call of the day, and settled in for another bland, predictable day at the office.

For the next six weeks, he repeated the mind-numbingly boring routine 5-6 days a week taking a couple hours each afternoon to spend with his kids. As long as his numbers were good, he didn't feel guilty. Besides, his dad had told him he wasn't worried about sales or money. He just wanted his son to have a place where he could put the pieces of his life back together until he figured things out. The regular, fat commission checks that kept rolling in were just icing on the cake.

He was sitting at home one Saturday afternoon when the mail carrier came by. Nick waited for her outside and grabbed the stack of junk and letters and sifted through it on the way back in. He saw a large, legal-sized envelope from the King County courthouse and anxiously opened it. He pulled out the official-looking document and read the title: Decree of Divorce in the case of Nicholas Allen Cavanaugh and Kelli Anne Cavanaugh and that was that. Nick slid the paperwork back inside the envelope and unceremoniously took off his wedding ring.

The next day at work he stopped by Heidi's desk and said, "Hey there, beautiful!"

Heidi flashed him a big smile and said, "Hey there yourself, handsome!"

"I just wanted to let you know I'm ready," he said.

"For...?" she asked with a puzzled look.

He held up his left hand and pointed to his bare ring finger. "Oh! Oh, geez! Duh!!" Heidi was cute but not the brightest bulb in the shed. "Well, I'm sorry to tell you my friend is already dating someone else, but no worries! I've got a ton of other girls lined up for you, okay?"

"Okay. Sounds good," he told her. "But I'm not looking for a hook up or a fling or whatever people call it. I've got two children and..."

"I know, I know. You want stability and maturity and all that stuff. No worries. I got you covered. Oh, speaking of girls lined up to meet you, I have three of them in your office. They just got in about five minutes before you. The younger one—with the daughter—she asked for you. Well, okay. Actually, she recognized your face in that picture of our employees over there and then asked for you. Anyway, they're all waiting for you." Heidi was pointing to the wall to her right where a large picture of Nick's father was atop all of the other members of the Cavanaugh team.

Nick thanked her then headed down the hall as Heidi called out, "Stop by when they leave and I'll show you a pic of my friend, Lindsay. She is SO hot!"

Nick smiled and just politely shook his head as he passed his dad's office on the way. He tapped on the glass, got his attention, and waved. His dad was on the phone but as soon as looked up, he smiled back and waved at him.

Nick's own office door was open and as he walked in he said, "Good morning, ladies! How are..."

"I know you!" the little girl said interrupting him.

Nick was trying to place her then looked at the woman on whose lap she was sitting and recognized Laura. He couldn't recall her name, but he knew who she was.

"Oh, my goodness! Well, hello there!" he said to Laura. He looked down at the little girl and said, "Have you been sliding into any boys at the park?"

"It was an accident!" she told him again just as adamantly.

The woman stood up and extended her hand and said, "Laura. And Hannah."

Nick was relieved he hadn't had to ask. "Sure! Of course. How could I forget? You have such a sympathetic ear." He reached out to her daughter and playfully told her he was gonna 'steal her nose' and said, "And the cutest little girl ever!" The girl giggled and reached out to take her nose back and stuck it on her face.

As he came around to the back of his desk to sit down, he noticed the third 'girl' who'd been sitting across from Laura. His back had been to her and he hadn't seen her yet. When he did, the smile briefly faded from his face until he realized what had happened. He immediately put the smile back on and extended his hand, "I'm so sorry. I didn't even see you. I'm Nick."

She stood and offered her hand to him. "Hi, Nick. I'm Becky Olson. I'm Laura's mom."

"Oh, okay! It's a family affair then," he said still smiling. "So what brings you to Cavanaugh Realty?"

Laura answered and said, "Well, Mom's decided to move here to be closer to us and we're looking for a home for her."

"Let's be honest. Laura was relentless in her arm twisting," Becky said. "I told her I was fine living in Portland, but she was having none of it. The haranguing got so bad I surrendered and came up here to Seattle."

"Mother!" Laura said objecting to her characterization of events. "I did not 'harangue' you. I just let you know how much we'd like to have you a little closer to us. That's all."

Becky smiled and said playfully, "Oh, I see. So calling me 3-4 times a day and sending me emails of homes in the area several times a day was just your way of mild hinting. Okay."

"We do care, Amaw!" the little girl said.

"Yes, I know you do, sweetheart! And that's why Amaw's moving here." The little girl ran to her grandmother and jumped into her lap as Amaw—evidently their pet name for Grandma—said, "You know, so I don't miss seeing you grow up." She shot a look at her daughter who just rolled her eyes.

Nick hadn't heard a word. He was starstruck and that just didn't happen to him. Having had so much attention from so many women all of his adult life, beautiful women were no big deal to him. They were everywhere and he knew he could start dating them anytime he wanted. Sure, any given 'hottie' might not want to sign up for a ready-made family, but getting dates would be no problem. So why was he so spellbound by this utterly gorgeous older woman sitting in front of him? And how could she possibly be a grandmother? His mother looked like a grandmother. She was only 48 but she looked her age. She didn't look old, but she most definitely didn't look like she was in her 30s the way Becky did.

Nick turned to look at Laura again and then looked back at Becky. Recalling what Laura had told him, he guessed her mother had to be around 45, but had he seen her by herself, he would have guessed she was maybe five years older than himself. So possibly 32-33-ish but there was no way on earth she could be much older than that.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,781 Followers