Everything Happens for a Reason

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers

Laurie quickly recovered from it, but not Emma and Deirdre. It was Emma that said, "Oh, you big liar, you did not!"

Turning to Laurie, I quickly winked and then turned back to Emma and calmly said, "I most certainly did, and being cross-trained as a Navy Corpsman; I need to tell you that a good combination of aloe and lanolin makes a good anti-irritant that will get rid of that razor rash, sweetie."

"OH MY GOD!!!!" wailed Emma and Deirdre, simultaneously, paralyzing Laurie with laughter to the point that I had to hold her up in the water to keep her from sinking.

I couldn't keep the charade up any longer and said, "Actually I didn't see a thing but you two just told on yourselves, huh?" causing Laurie to laugh even harder.

Suddenly Deirdre broke into tears, sobbing uncontrollably and began to make her way toward the shore. "Uh oh, now you've done it, Tommy. You've made our friend Deirdre cry and we aren't going to stand for that," said Emma, with Laurie, who had stopped laughing at this point, giving me the same stern glare as Emma.

"Ah, shit!" I replied, as I began to make my way to the shore. I could see Deirdre standing on the shore with her back to us. She had her towel wrapped around her shoulders which were shaking violently from crying. Now I really felt like total hell for making this poor girl cry. As I exited the water and began to approach her, I could hear her sobbing begin to calm to what sounded to me like soft whimpers. I gently reached out and touched her shoulder and said, "Deirdre, I'm really very sorry, and I sure didn't mean to embarrass you or hurt your feelings,"

Catching me totally off-guard, Deirdre turned, and with a bright grin shining on her face, said, "Sucker!" Before I could respond, I suddenly felt three female bodies surrounding me trying to wrestle me to the ground. The sound of girlish laughter and giggles filled the air, followed by screams and squeals when, as best as I could manage; I gathered the three of them into a tight group, then lifted them into my arms and took off running toward the water. We splashed and played for a while and then made our way to the shore.

After a sufficient rest, Emma and Deirdre made preparations to leave, and once the two of them were dressed; Deirdre hugged my neck and said, "You're a good sport, Tommy."

"Yeah, well, you three are right about each other," I said, grinning, not being able to help myself.

"Oh yeah, and what's that?" said Emma, smiling.

"Bitches," I simply replied, causing all three girls to howl with laughter.

Then Emma and Deirdre leaned over and both kissed me on the cheek as Laurie smiled and said, "That's right, darlin, we sure are," and then giggled delightfully.

Right before they left for their horses Deirdre looked at Laurie, and smiling lovingly, said, "I like him, sis."

We said nothing as we watched the two friends climb the steps and disappear over the escarpment. Once they were gone, I leaned down and kissed Laurie gently and said, "There's something I need to tell you!"

As we sat down she had an alarmed look on her face and asked, "What is it Tommy? What's wrong?"

I simply leaned forward and wrapped my arms tightly around her, holding her as close to me as humanly possible, and softly said, "I love you Laurie Watson, with every fiber of my being and I can't imagine my life without you in it."

"I love you too," she replied, with tears running down both sides of her so very beautiful face. Then our lips met, and as we slowly began to taste one another; I felt her total essence wrapping around and intertwining itself with mine. I knew then that we would be together for all eternity. When the kiss ended, I looked at her and wondered why I hadn't seen it when I was young, the same look she had in her eye, even as a child, was indicative of love in its purest form. Though I desperately loved her, we both knew it wasn't yet time to take our relationship to the next level. So, we spent the rest of the afternoon frolicking in the water stopping only for the occasional hug and/or kiss.

On the ride home I was quietly enjoying the view, i.e. Laurie and the beautiful scenery surrounding her, not overwhelming her but only enhancing her already staggering beauty when she smiled and said, "What's on your mind, handsome?"

"I was thinking about you and how much I've fallen in love with you in such a short time," I replied, grinning.

Laurie brought Gus to a stop, and while dismounting, said, "Walk with me. I want to tell you something that you may or may not remember." And while we led the horses by the reins, we walked together, side-by-side and hand-in-hand, while Laurie continued, "I don't know if you remember this, but a long time ago, when I lived on your ranch, I remember that time when those boys that used to come over to see your older brother tried to pick on me, but you wouldn't let them. You stuck up for me and tried to protect me, even though they were a lot bigger than you. I thought you were so brave back then."

I smiled at the long forgotten incident as it came to mind and said, "I remember that, now."

She moved closer, and after her arm went around my waist and her head rested beneath my arm and shoulder; she continued, "Then, last night, when Harvey Crutcher tried to start something, you almost beat those guys to death protecting me. I fell in love with you all over again, Tommy."

"I love you," I replied

Chapter Six

I woke up at seven o'clock the next morning to the sound of girlish laughter coming from down the stairs. I got up and made my bed, then slipped on a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt and went downstairs. As soon as I reached the foot of the stairs I saw Laurie and Julia sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and talking. The moment she saw me, Laurie hopped up from the table and ran across the room. The second I was within her reach, she threw her arms around me and quickly but softly kissed my lips and then said, "Good morning, my beautiful love. How did you sleep?"

"I slept great; how about you?" I replied, with a grin plastered across my face.

"Mmm, I would've slept a lot better if you had been laying next me," she replied, smacking me on the butt.

"Laurie!" I scolded, blushing.

Laurie led me to the table, and as we both sat down, she looked at me and non-chalantly replied, "I told Mom that we were in love but we haven't started sleeping together...yet."

I suddenly felt like finding a hole to crawl into until Julia laughed, and reaching over and patting my hand, said, "It's alright, sweet boy. I knew a long time ago that this was going to happen."

"You did? How?" I asked, amazed not only because of how she was handling what Laurie had apparently told her about us, but at what she, herself had just said.

Laurie sat down in my lap and said, "Tell him what you told me a few weeks ago, Mom!"

Julia laughed, and looking directly at me, said, "Your mother told me that, after we left Texas to come out here; you weren't the same. She said you were like a lost puppy and it took a long time before you were back to your old self again. But before you say anything, I want you to know that it was the same way for Laurie."

Julia's always bright smile became a little cloudy for a second, and with the beginnings of tears forming in her eyes, she reached over and put her palm to the side of my face and said, "You don't know what it's done for my daughter, as well as my husband and I, having you here, sweet boy."

I was sitting down at the table, and as Laurie poured me some coffee, I gently reached across and touched Julia's hand and replied, "I'm very glad to be here, and just so you know, I love Laurie with all my heart, I swear."

"Well, that's a good thing or otherwise all the flirting she'd been doing with you would've all gone to waste, m'boy." said Mike, as he came out of the master bedroom smiling. He made his way to the table, but not before he reached down and patted me on my shoulder, then said, "We are all glad that you came to see us Tommy. I really mean that, son."

"Thank you, sir!" I replied, turning to look him in the face. There was a small part of Mike that reminded me of my father, making me remember the once forgotten days when Laurie and I were young.

I saw Mike looking at Laurie, and with the beginnings of tears in his eyes; he pulled his daughter to him, hugging her, and to Julia, said, "I guess our baby girl is growing up, huh Mom?" Julia simply smiled a silent acknowledgement in a way that only a mother who was proud of her child does. Then, grinning, Mike turned to look back at me and asked, "So when are you two gonna get married and give us some grand babies to spoil?"

"Jesus, Dad! Leave him alone, why don't ya?" Laurie scolded, while winking at her mother.

"I was just asking. Damn girl, you act just like your mother sometimes, I swear," said Mike, with a sigh.

"And it's a damn good thing that she does, Michael Watson," said Julia, in her daughter's defense.

Laurie smiled, and as she moved away from her father, she passed behind me while going to her place at the table and gently ran her fingers through my hair, producing a pleasant chill going down the back of my spine that made me slightly shiver in my seat. Then after taking her seat, she smiled at me and said, "You're going to meet the guys that work for us today. I think you'll like them. They're a good group of guys, but I need to warn you about one of them."

"Uh oh, here comes more trouble," I silently said to myself, a bad feeling beginning to rise from the pit of my stomach.

I was assured that my facial features had betrayed my thoughts when Laurie laughed and said, "It's not as bad as you think, my love."

Hearing her call me her love made me somehow immediately relax, and with one eyebrow raised, I smiled and replied, "Oh, no?"

Laurie quickly leaned across the table, kissed my lips, and then just as quickly sat back down and said, "No! I was gonna tell you about John Kettle," and as she began to speak more of this man, her face grew more somber as she looked down and continued, "John is not only the best foreman that Daddy's ever had but he's also the last known descendant of Chief Black Kettle, one of the Great Chiefs of the Northern Cheyenne Indian tribes. Black Kettle was killed in a massacre when the U.S. Army's Seventh Calvary, led by none other than George Armstrong Custer, attacked the Cheyenne People in the early dawn hours of November the 27th, 1868. The village was well within the boundaries of the reservation on the banks of the Washita River. Black Kettle even had a white flag and a U.S. flag flying above his tipi. But the Army attacked them, killing indiscriminately, men, women and children.....Bastards!"

When Laurie lifted her face and looked back up at me, I saw tears beginning to form in her eyes, and reaching across the table and taking her by the hand, I asked, "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Laurie smiled, albeit sadly, and said, "Yeah, I'm alright. It just upsets me to think about what happened to those poor people so long ago." Suddenly her mood lightened and she continued, "John is very nice man, but he's very cautious when it comes to strangers so, don't be offended if he gives you the third degree when he meets you."

After remaining silent while Laurie had been explaining John Kettle's back ground to me, Julia spoke up, smiling, and said, "Oh, I wouldn't worry so much about that, baby-girl."

"What do you mean, Mama?" Laurie asked her mother.

Julia rose from the table and walked around to where I was sitting. Then she leaned down from behind me, put her arms around my neck and shoulders, and after gently kissing me on the cheek, said, "I've got a strange feeling that John is going to get along with Tommy just fine."

At 8:30 that morning, I was standing in the stock house with Laurie and five other men. Laurie introduced me to each one. There were the Grey Brothers, Joe and Jake who both greeted me heartily. Then there was Larry Johnson who had just graduated high school and was preparing to go to Veterinary school and worked with Laurie. He seemed to be a nice kid whom, I later found out was a genius as well. Then there was Ed Williams who managed the stables with his son, Marcus. When they found out that I was from Texas, they immediately began to tease with all the standard jibes....Steers and Queers, blah, blah, blah...etc! I took it all in good fun because that's exactly how it was meant, nothing more. It was safe to say that I liked all these guys immediately, and they me.

There was still one person missing, but before I could ask; I heard another vehicle pulling into the driveway. A few seconds later, I saw an old beat up, blue Chevy step-side pickup truck, which had to be at least twenty-five years old, making its way around the driveway in a cloud of dust and skidding in the gravel to a halt in front of the huge open stock house doors where we had all gathered. The truck parked and turned off its engine followed by a loud and thunderous backfire that almost made me jump out of my skin. When the cloud of dust had settled, the driver's side door opened and out stepped a man that stood about five feet, seven or eight. I would say he was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of sixty, to sixty-five years old. He wore a pair faded blue jeans, boots and a burnt-red colored, long sleeved shirt with a blue bandana around his neck. His face left no doubt that he was full blooded Cheyenne Indian. He wore his waist length hair in braids on both sides of his head that came down the front of his chest. "Good Morning John!" said Laurie as he approached us.

The closer he drew the more clearly I could see his face and he was smiling at Laurie when he replied, "Good morning, Ka'eskone (Cheyenne word for child)!" Once he was close enough, his facial features displayed a noble blood line dating back to a time long gone. Suddenly he glanced over at me suspiciously, and to Laurie, asked, "Who is this man, Miss Laurie?"

"Do you remember the boy that I told you about when I was a little girl?" Laurie asked him, smiling.

"So, this is Tommy, huh?" asked John, smiling and extending his hand. As we shook hands, he told me, "Because you are a friend to this family, I trust you. But were it not for that, I would become the Ho'nehe (wolf) and tear you to pieces, Ve'ho'e (white man)!" I looked into his eyes and found, not anger, but a quiet understanding, born of an age old wisdom, that for reasons unbeknownst to me at the time; began to take root deep within my being, stirring my very soul. An indescribable feeling began to overtake me, but as opposed to making it known by anything I might say or do; I choose to remain silent, embracing that which I was presently feeling. No one seemed to notice anything out of the ordinary, no one except John, that is. I didn't know that John knew, nor was I supposed to know, but for some reason, I somehow knew that he'd been aware the whole time.

What John had just told me was not meant as a challenge and I took it was as something I would feel if I were him. So, I simply smiled and replied, "It's nice to meet you, John Kettle."

He looked at Laurie grinning, then at me, then back at Laurie, and with a slight chuckle, said, "You might be right about him after all, Ka'eskone," and then shaking his head while laughing, John tuned around, left the stock house and walked toward the stables, still laughing and shaking his head.

"Well, whadaya know about that?" asked Laurie, smiling at the rest of the guys. They all nodded their heads in agreement and laughed.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused as hell.

Laurie leaned over and put her arm around me, and with a smile, said, "He likes you Tommy, and that's very rare for someone he just met."

After what you told me about him at breakfast then, that's a good thing, right?" I asked her, smiling.

"We'll see. You're going to be working with him for the next three days," said Laurie, worriedly.

But, before she could continue, Mike Watson came walking around the corner from the back of the stock house, and to me, said, "There's a herd of wild horses that have been wreaking havoc among my brood mares up in the high pastures to the northwest. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like for you and John to ride up there and check it out. The wild herd is being led by a Black Rogue Stallion. Eight people have already been killed by this damn horse so, be careful if you find him. A fairly big reward has been posted by the Montana Cattlemen's Association to anyone that can either capture or kill the evil son of a bitch."

"I'm good with horses so it doesn't look like it'll be a problem, Mike," I replied, confidently.

Then Mike put his hand on my shoulder, and in a very serious tone of voice, replied, "I know that you're good at what you do and that's why I don't mind you going with John. But I want you to promise me that you'll do exactly as John says, because this particular stallion is unlike any horse you've ever encountered before. There's something evil inside of this animal. This stallion is not a horse, Tommy; he's a killer!"

The feeling I always had when danger was near began the moment Mike uttered the word 'killer'. I knew that Mike trusted me, so, I promised him that I would do as he asked and follow John's instructions.

No sooner had I finished speaking when John appeared around the corner with two horses saddled up and ready to ride. One of the horses was a young gelding named Sultan, an American Saddle Bred, and the other horse was Jessi, and handing her me reins, John said, "Here, she told me that you and her made friends a few days ago."

"Yes, we did," I replied, stroking Jessi's neck, making her whinny contentedly. As I looked her over and checked the strength of the saddle strap, I that noticed a rifle holster had been strapped to Jessi's saddle. Opening the top of the holster flap, I pulled out the rifle, which was a Winchester 44-40, and asked, "What's this for?"

"It's for if I miss," replied John, solemnly and with no emotion whatsoever in his voice. The rest of the men had all disappeared to their respective work places by this time, and the only people in the stock house were Laurie, myself, John and Mike. While John and Mike talked as they walked the horses to the pasture gates, Laurie and I were afforded a few moments alone to talk.

"I want you to be careful. Do you hear me?" said Laurie, launching herself against me, landing with her arms around me and her body pressed tightly against mine.

"I love you, Laurie Watson," I softly replied, and then tenderly kissed her soft lips.

"I love you too, Tommy. Just come back home in one piece, okay?" she said, bravely.

"Okay, I promise," I said, and then kissed her one last time before I followed Mike and John, with Laurie closely beside me.

As I made my way toward the back gates, I heard someone yell, "WAIT A MINUTE, YOU TWO!!!" I turned around to see Julia running toward us carrying a pair of saddlebags in one hand and a knapsack in the other. When she finally reached us, she was a little out of breath, but after recovering momentarily; she handed me the saddle bags and said, "I packed you some dry socks and two more pairs of dry underwear. I had to go through your things. I hope you don't mind, sweet boy."

As I took the saddle bags from her, I leaned down and kissed Julia on the cheek and said, "I don't mind at all.....Mom." She just hugged me tightly and then giggled as I threw the saddlebags across Jessi's back.

Then she handed the knapsack to John and said, "I made you guys some pound cake as well as your favorite corn bread, John!"

"I thank you, Ms. Julia. That was a very thoughtful thing to do," replied John smiling.

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,932 Followers
1...45678...14