All Comments on '16th Century Slave Market Pt. 03'

by Carole99

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Enlightening

See no reason why you should not continue. You have a perfect erotic mindset and talents so go ahead and bring out to the readers the realities.

Keep up the good - naughty work

Sam (kinkykingfisher@yahoo.com or tester _p@hotmail.com)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
very sexy

When, last year, I found your story about Carina Orellana, I was immediately triggered & intrigued & fascinated by this well-written and very sexy, very exciting story. So, now you again did me a great favour with this equally sexy story about Ysabel Quintana. I'm looking forward to your continuation of this series, about the slave-markets of Salé. Would it be a nice idea to start, after your stories about some young women abducted from Meñorca, a story, or even a series of stories, about the fate awaiting the boys and young men who were abducted and enslaved?

Carole99Carole99about 6 years agoAuthor
Dear Anon 4/11

Thanks for the kind words. I may start another story in this vein, but it will be a while. I'm a slow writer, and this requires careful research.

As for a story about the men/boys— I can't for 2 reasons. First, I wrote about a group of men in Pt. 1 and included the word 'castration' in the keywords. Lit rejected it for that reason. I rewrote the story to merely allude to this procedure.

Second, I don't have the stomach to describe this horrible practice in detail. The fact is that only 10% of the men/boys survived this in those days of unsanitary medical practice. This was torture, and I don't go for extremes. If you care to read about it, Wiki has a detailed article with pics. If you are a man, grab your testicles with a firm grip while reading, as they will be churning!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
So glad you continued writing

Your story was one of the best I read on this site so I am glad you continued. Although part 1 and 2 are more the traditional erotic harem tale part 3 was very interesting from a historical point of view though it was so scary it was not getting me hot and bothered. Nevertheless you made my day. Please continue!!!! I think you explained to us very well why girls aimed to be chosen in the end. It was at least the best option available.

thomas_deanthomas_deanalmost 4 years ago
Descent into Slavery

In 16th Century Slave Market, Carole retells an important piece of history: slavery in the Ottoman Empire which raided Europe to extract its produce, people. Carole explores the slave trade in following the reception of Luisa and Ysabel into the slave market. Taken in Menorca in 1573, the ladies are transported by sea to market. Before auction, the captives are stripped, shaved of body hair and introduced to a life of servitude.

As a virgin, whose status has been verified after careful examination Ysabel is in highest demand. She ends up in the seraglio of the Sublime porte. Not a virgin Luisa is sold to a merchant.

In Topkapi Palace, Ysabel is told how lucky she is. At the sultan's house, men and women brought in a slaves can rise to a position of power and influence. Will she win over the Sultan? We'll have to wait to see if Carole continues the story.

The story refers to a contemporary account of the slave trade which is quoted as a lead - in to stages of the process. The author refers to Shell's Ozymandias (1818) and Byron' Don Juan (1818 - 1819) as classic poems called to mind by captives in 1573, This anachronism could be excused.

Erotica, rather than dominating the narrative, supports the story line at every turn.

The one criticism I have of this story is that Luisa's tale trails off midway through the narrative. Perhaps her story should have been told in a separate short story. Nonetheless, the author presents an important part of history. The North African Slave Trade would persist until the rise of the British Empire. When the rising British Empire beat back the declining Ottoman and specifically outlawed the slave trade, only then did these raids come to an end.

Some say with Britain's retreat, the evil has resumed.

Carole99Carole99almost 4 years agoAuthor
Thank you Thomas!

I appreciate all your comments. You are well-versed in the history of this dark time. And thanks for excusing my anachronisms. I included them purposely, as I thought they served the understanding that Ysabel and many of her unfortunate companions were well educated. You are the first to notice them. Even my editor, probably out of kindness, has not mentioned them.

I'm sure you will agree that in many parts of the world the status of women has not changed significantly.

SubmissiveCelesteSubmissiveCelesteabout 1 year ago

I throughly enjoyed the history and the story and of course the eroticism. Wonderfully written. Thank you.

Dr_James_Davies_DFDr_James_Davies_DF6 months ago

OTTOMAN SLAVE TRADE

From the collapse of the Roman empire to the rise of the British Empire in the19th century, the north African slave trade was fueled by raids from the costa del sol all the way out to Iceland. Perhaps a raid on Greenland in 1600 finally brought an end to the Viking Colony there.

After 1453 the North African slave trade was dominated by the Ottoman Empire.

To the people subject to the raids, a life of forced labor and breeding awaited them. Some very few Ottoman slaves like Yasabel did very well sold into the harem of the Sultan with the chance of giving birth to a potential successor.

Here in the US we're more familiar with the role of slavery in the European colonization of the Americas. Yet Ottoman Empire was the wealthiest country on earth, more slaves were sent there.

Certainly it's a tale worth revisiting.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous