All Comments on 'A Brief Conversation'

by 0nlyEditing

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
A helpful post

Thank you for taking the trouble to write it up for us.

dougloiddougloidabout 9 years ago
Clever tutorial

Very well crafted tutorial. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Nice Work!

Misusing quotes is one of the biggest complaints I read in comments sections. However, most folks who want to complain about grammar issues, don't offer suggestions of how to improve. Anyone can say, "get an editor", but it is nice to be directed somewhere the author can actually get help. I hope people reference this essay. It WILL help. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
re: quote spans more than one paragraph

I don't know how many stories I've read where the writer punctuates a monologue as if it were a dialogue. As I often tell them, when one paragraph ends with a quotation mark and the very next one begins with a quotation mark, that’s an indication that the character talking has changed.

fanfarefanfareabout 9 years ago
good advice...

...succinct and usable in most cases.

However, (or, do LS readers prefer 'Butt,'?)for all the self-righteous whining by Academic English Major Generals in the commentary.

Is that the finest spelling, grammar and punctuation are tedious gibberish when the pedantic writer has no original idea of value to communicate.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
No dialogue.

No dialogue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

"Anyone can say, "get an editor", but it is nice to be directed somewhere the author can actually get help."

Er, try the home page of this site, which not only gives you links to editors and why you might need them, but also, as I recall, suggests contributors read before posting.

stormbreyerstormbreyerabout 9 years ago
Thanks!

A very nice, short and complete treatment of the subject.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous