All Comments on 'A College Tryst'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

loved it

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

You talk about the girls we never meet - Andrea and Michelle - more than you do about the girl in the story. And who is Charlotte??

Most young, virginal girls -even though this virgin acts like a practiced hooker - would not find it appealing if the guy she's with tells her he fucked his last girlfriend in this toilet, so tonight it's her turn. Sorry, but that was the unsexiest sex I've ever read.

PtmcPilotPtmcPilotabout 6 years ago
totally confused

not sure who all these characters are and what we are supposed to know about them. It's a big distraction, and if cleaned up would make all the difference.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 6 years agoAuthor

Yes it is part of a much longer uncompleted work. Maybe I'll try posting the pieces in something like chronological order. See my comments about it on the Story Feedback bulletin board.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 6 years agoAuthor

I don't have first hand experience with this specific setting, but I'm sure that people without access to a private residence or hotel room often use rest rooms - and cars, rooftops, parks and a lot of other "creative" locations. (Remember how the Trapper John character in M*A*S*H got his nickname?) The narrator does mention some doubts about the location both before and after the act.

As for Judy having knowledge about sex: some of that may be through her own fantasies and imagination. She's certainly has read fiction that contains sexual situations. And she has talked to other people - like the unseen Michelle character who was her friend long before she met the narrator. I don't think she's acting like a "whore" but rather as a lady who likes sex.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Sorry but your rationalizations don't cut it. I WAS a young woman in the 70s. It was a different time - a time before guys introduced themselves by showing off selfies of their shaved penises and testicles - and if any guy had steered me into a toilet back then to get his rocks off because that's something he's used to doing with Michelle and Andrea etc, I would not have been thrilled about it at any time, never mind if it's my first time!! I might have done it were this my boyfriend of some time and it was just a kinky, spur of the moment thing. Otherwise, no.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 6 years agoAuthor

Well it is supposed to be a long-term relationship, although in its first month.

So where do you think young people go who don't have access to dorm rooms or cars? (The back seat of automobiles, a time-honored place for romance.) With my girlfriend of the time, who later became my wife and much later my ex-wife, we often used one of the college newspaper offices, usually at night. We used Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, we used the basement of an apartment building. Love we find a way.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainabout 6 years agoAuthor

Also, it wasn't her first time, it was her third. It says so in one of the early paragraphs.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
"One of the advantages of being with such an even-tempered woman was that she would forgive most of my lapses in judgment."

Judy seems real enough to me. Perhaps because people tend to treat her as if she's invisible she's willing to suspend her better judgement when the opportunity arises to try things that other girls have talked about. Plus, she has genuine puppy-love feelings for the narrator. All in all a decent vignette that captures the feelings of two real, if callow, people during their college years.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 6 years agoAuthor

Thank you. I think the college dating scene may have been less stressful or frantic then without social media or smart phones. In this case the male character believes he's in love with the various girls he knows and who's to say that he's not? He's not trying for a high "notch count," a term I never heard back then.

Also, city students without access to dorm rooms or cars had to get creative in finding trysting places. That I remember well.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...