A Glowing Ember

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now, fast forwards to 2010...the present. After not seeing Joe for close to six years, since my husband's funeral, I accidentally crashed my shopping cart into his out in the parking lot of the local supermarket. At first I didn't recognize him because he looked so different...a little leaner, deeply tanned, shaved head, but still ruggedly handsome...like the Marlboro man. He knew me right off and said,

"Hello Jill. Fancy crashing into you of all people."

"Joe...Joe Carson? Is that really you?"

"Guilty." I went over and gave him a big hug and said,

"My God Joe...how long has it been?"

"Six years I guess...Barry's funeral."

"Yes, it was six years."

"You're looking great Jill. Then again, you always did."

"Thank you. But tell me Joe, why didn't you ever call me after Barry died?"

"I don't know Jill...I wanted too, but I felt like I was horning in on Barry's memory."

"I didn't know you felt that way."

"Yeah, I did. I wanted to call you so many times, but always chickened out at the last moment. I just assumed that you probably were involved with someone and it wouldn't be right for me to butt in after all these years."

"Well, after Barry passed away, I was dating off and on, but none of them were serious. I waited and waited for you to call me, but you never did...so I gave up and moved on with my life."

"If I had only known."

"Well, what's stopping you now?"

"Okay, would you like to have dinner with me tonight? I know this quiet little Italian restaurant oozing buckets of charm. "

"No restaurants. I'll fix you a dinner that'll blow your taste buds to hell and back. Um, you just show up at my house at 7 tonight."

"Do you still live up on the hill?"

"Yes I do...see you at 7?"

Joe and I continued to talk while he loaded his groceries into the back of his jeep...the very same Jeep he had down at the camp ground so many years before. We said our goodbyes and parted company, but I still had my shopping to do. Suddenly I felt warm inside, like an old forgotten door was opening into my heart. It's funny, but I was thinking about Joe that very afternoon while I was at work. Something I saw or read about triggered my memory and Joe popped into my thoughts. I remember now, I was reading an article about cruise ships and I remembered how he and Barry talked about taking a canoe trip down the river. We were sitting at the bar down in the family room talking about this canoe trip. I just drank and listened, but I remember how knowledgeable Joe was about boats and ships. I was impressed and thought then he was wasting his talents doing grunt work as a printer.

I finished my grocery shopping and went next door to the State Store and bought two bottles of wine...one white and the other red and a bottle of JD. I was set. It was going to be nice cooking for a man for a change and tonight I wouldn't be alone. My daughter Cindy was spending the summer at school working as a security guard until the fall session starts at the end of August. She'll be a senior this fall. Her biweekly paycheck really helped with her tuition. When I got home, it was a mad dash to take a shower and get myself ready for my date with Joe...then I'll throw together a quick dinner. I was a good cook and didn't see any problems unless something earth shattering happens...I'll be fine. At forty-five, I was aging gracefully and I was still somewhat lanky in build, but I did have a middle age phat ass and a 'gut' but so did everyone else my age. My breasts are still large, but they sag noticeable now...curse that gravity. My once long auburn hair is now cut short and a bottle colored shade of chestnut...that suits me...I like it.

It was almost seven when I happened to look out my front bay window and saw Joe pull up to the curb and get out. I had to smile because he was dressed like aLands Endcatalog, but so was I. I didn't want to over do my casual look, but yet, I wanted to look well dressed for Joe. I know I was being silly, but I wanted to impress Joe in the worst way. The doorbell rang and as I walked to the front door...I tucked, pulled my dress and shifted my boobs a bit trying to feel more comfortable. I opened the door with a smile and greeted him with a kiss,

"Hello Joe...you're right on time..."

The End