All Comments on 'A Journey to Reality'

by nyte_byrd

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great story

That was great i fthere was a way to go back in time it would be a good thing i was just 16 at that year

Pat

Aurora BlackAurora Blackover 17 years ago
Your story

Has been mentioned in the New Story Review thread.

jack_strawjack_strawover 17 years ago
Beautiful, terrible

A truly gut-wrenching story. By terrible, I don't mean it's bad, but that the subject matter is so ... well, terrible. I actually gasped when I got to the part about the younger brother.

My best friend was killed in a car crash early in my senior year in high school, and this story made me think about what I'd do about that if I had a time-travel device. Could I resist the temptation to change history in an attempt to save my friend? He had so much to offer, and his life was snuffed out in a heartbeat.

I felt like I was walking through my own past. I grew up in a small town in the 60s, and you've hit it pretty accurately, especially the part about how people reacted to a teenage pregnancy. It didn't matter if you got knocked up the first time you had sex, if you got pregnant out of wedlock, you were a slut, period.

Perhaps we've gone too far in the other direction, accepting teenage pregnancy with a casualness that is detrimental to society, but one thing I am proud of my generation for is a more tolerant attitude toward the girls who find themselves in that situation. We don't just throw these kids away the way we did 40 years ago.

One thing that didn't jibe was the age thing. If Monica was 15 when she had Crystal, then how would Bill be driving if he's her younger brother? I know the laws have changed, but I don't recall kids getting driver's licences at 14.

But that's a small discrepancy that doesn't detract from the overall high quality of a very moving story. Kudos.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Truly Inspired.

I loved this poignant tale. It reminds us to slow down and appreciate those that we love. I felt much the same about my grandmother and would give anything to hear her laughter one more time. Your story brought a tear to my eye.

You have done a wonderful job. Thank you for submitting it for all of us to enjoy.

SweetWitch

J G ParkesJ G Parkesover 17 years ago
Evocative

I'm a great fan of time-travel stories and this one was very good. My paternal grandmother died long before I was born, but hearing about her and looking at photographs make me wish I could have known her. A time-travel device would be just the job. As in 'A Journey To Reality' I'm sure there would be a great deal of emotion in such a meeting. Just one thing bothered me. Only 30 minutes? Crystal seemed to spend much more time than that in the past. In fact, I would venture to say it was impossible for her to do everything she did in so short a time. That apart, a really interesting and evocative story. Well done.

RicticRicticover 17 years ago
Very Good

I really enjoyed your story. It made me think about some of my family and friends.

ReduxBlueReduxBluealmost 17 years ago
Journey to reality

I liked your story and its refreshing view of time travel. It would be really hard not to try and change things and the awakening of compassion was very well done. I would have liked a longer story, but what was there worked really well. Leaving on a sign of hope is about all that you could wish for. Thanks for sharing!

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
So Sad a Story

If i could go back to that time and see the surounding location where i lived at and see my parents that would be great i cried when i read this it reminded me of when i lived in that time i was in my teens.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
:)

Yep that's a very good still picture of life.. We believe we know but more often than not we are missing out on the picture.. Beautifully written, thank you.. Yoron

jimmyravinejimmyravinealmost 14 years ago
Terrific, sad, and frustrating

I can picture the feelings of hopelessness of this girl. Her strong character enables her to view without making the changes that her heart strongly encourages her to make, and yet her character also enables her to feel the incredible pain and anguish that comes from reliving tragedy. Well done!

I read this because of the sequel written by jack_straw, which is fun, but lacks the emotional appeal your story has. Thank you for a wonderful few minutes of pleasure.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 10 years ago
Wow

Made me think back, reliving my past. Not quite as tragic but depressing nonetheless. There's a sequel...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Bravo!

Write some more, please,

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
very thought provoking

Absolutely enjoyed the story and how it was written . It shows peoples cruelty and hypocrisy. Also the strength and fortitude of many young unmarried mothers . Especially from the mid twentieth century. . Well done. . 😊

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Too True

You have captured the essence of the truth as it regards ageing, the events we hear about growing up are the ones that were lived by our elders. Great story!!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Deep

A great story

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 5 years ago
Very Good

I've just come across this story and I enjoyed it very much. It makes me think about my own time line and how things could have been different. If you are still following comments on you stories I want to say thank you for your hard work.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
heart wrenching!!!!

probably would of not read it if in scify section. LOVE slap hapy papy #9

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 1 year ago

WOW!! This....this story is very very good. Grabs at the heart for sure. My allergies started up.

SkubabillSkubabillover 1 year ago

Thank you I loved this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A little must read story for those down-in-the-dumps days.

oldpantythiefoldpantythief9 months ago

A lot of what ifs and should haves, but a really nice story. Too bad we all can't have Peabody's Wayback Machine to fix our screw ups. The best advice derived from this story is to never pass up a chance to tell someone you love them.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous