A Matter of Life or Death

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They are Earth creatures. They are the wild life of earth. They are animals that belong to the circle of life." He needed his words to stick in the heads of the Jury and St Peter.

"Clarence is an Angel. He is a celestial being. He is not of Earth and should not have crossed the path of my car." James needed them to remember the difference.

"It was his error that caused him to be seen by me. He had forgotten to turn on his invisibility cloak that Christmas Eve. Therefore he flew into my path not fearing my reaction to him. He had made a mistake. A terrible mistake that had dire consequences for me and my life." James paused for this to sink into the listeners.

Then James continued, "Of course, if Angel Clarence had known he would have taken a different path or switched his cloak on so he could move unseen in my world.

I call Angel Clarence to the stand to verify my claim"

Clarence entered the court room and the Usher asked him his name and to take the oath of truth just as James had done.

"Angel Clarence, Will you tell the Court what happened that night?" James asked him.

"Yes I will." Clarence said. He confirmed everything that James had claimed to the court.

His voice broke a little when he realised the moment he had forgotten his invisibility cloak.

"I was in the road, assessing the accident on the other side when I heard the screeches of a car right by me. I turned and saw the driver looking at me. I knew immediately he could see me and he turned the steering wheel to avoid contact with me."

"Who was the driver you saw in the car?" James asked him to verify.

"It was you James Carter" Clarence answered.

"Are you sure I could see you?" James asked him to confirm again.

"As clear as day. We made eye contact that night." Clarence confirmed.

"Why did I take evasive action?" James asked him.

"Because you thought you was going to hit me," Clarence lowered his voice, ashamed, "I forgot to make myself invisible you see."

"In your opinion, would I know you was an Angel straight away? Would I have had time for that to register in my brain?" James asked of the Angel.

"It all happened within seconds. I'm not sure how quick that brain of yours works but I do know that you saw me and your reaction was to avoid me.

I do know and sensed that you are a good soul and that you would not kill anything on purpose.

I do know that it was your natural reaction to avoid colliding with me." Clarence explained.

"Are you an Angel Clarence? Not of our Earth and not of our wild life?" James asked to establish this fact.

"Yes Sir, I'm an Angel. I'm not of Earth. I'm an Angel who made a terrible mistake that night." Clarence admitted.

"In your opinion Clarence, who was to blame for the accident that night?" James asked him.

"It was mine Sir. I was to blame! If only I had made myself invisible, none of this would have happened." Clarence said with true remorse.

"Was you, or any other Angel supposed to collect my soul that night?"

"No Sir, you were not on the collection list."

"Was I supposed to die that night?"

"No Sir. You was not." Clarence spoke with conviction.

"Thank you Clarence, no more questions from me." James concluded and looked at his opposition to see if he required to question this witness.

Crispus Attucks nodded and stood at his desk as James returned to his own allocated table. He slowly walked to the free area at the centre of the court.

"I won't keep you long Angel Clarence." He began. "Tell me Angel Clarence, were your wings on show that night?"

"Yes Sir, they were." Clarence confirmed.

"So you were not working incognito on Earth that night. You were an Angel and you looked like an Angel?"

"Yes Sir, not incognito. I was on soul collection duties. I am an Angel and looked like an Angel that night."

"And a car being driven through you would not injure you in anyway?" Crispus Attucks asked Clarence to confirm.

"No Sir. It would not injure me at all." Clarence agreed.

Crispus Attucks looked around the court and then addressed the jury.

"Fact - James Carter saw an Angel that night.

Fact - He knew exactly what he saw.

Fact - He also knew that he could not hurt an Angel.

Fact - James Carter caused his own death that night.

Fact - He made the wrong decision to take evasive action and as a consequence of that wrong decision, he caused his own death.

I repeat my assertions from before ...

Fact- It was fate and therefore James Carter's time of death should stand."

Crispus Attucks took a moment to stand there and look majestic to add more credence to his words before sitting down again.

Saint Peter took a moment to review all the evidence so far.

"Bring me the Book of Deaths." He instructed the Usher. Immediately there was a mad rush of whispers and court helpers to bring the Great Book to their court.

The air was heavy again with trepidation as the court waited for his assessment.

The book was bought and St Peter looked through it.

When he was ready, his voice rung firmly around the court room and he held his courtly hammer ready to bang down after each ruling.

He spoke clearly and concisely and with great authority.

"I make these rulings to progress this case...

1. James Carter's life was taken prematurely.

The Book of Deaths does not show the date he was collected by the Angel Clarence.

That death date, not publically stated, is a confidential matter but I can confirm it is long into the future.

I find Point 1 of the case proven."

The large wooden gavel was bought down hard on to the sounding block.

"2. I find that the accident that took James Carter's life was not James Carter's fault.

The Angel Clarence fully admits he forgot to switch on his invisibility cloak and therefore the earthly eye could see him.

Furthermore, if he had have realised he could be seen, Angel Clarence would have flown over the car and not in front of it."

Saint Peter frowned at Clarence. "An error that will NEVER happen again, I'm sure"

Clarence shuddered and murmured, "No Sir, never again."

Saint Peter continued, "I therefore find Point 2 of the case proven."

Again, the large wooden gavel was bought down hard on to the sounding block and it echoed round the room.

Saint Peter looked at the people in the heavenly court and decided to take a break.

"We have heard enough for now and will take a break and convene in a couple of hours to hear more of this case. Ensure your evidence and next witnesses are primed and ready."

James stood up, "May I ask the court if Angel Clarence could be my Counsel now he has given his evidence Sir?"

Saint Peter looked at Crispus Attucks, "Any objections Crispus?"

"No My Lord, none at all" Crispus Attucks agreed.

"Then so be it. Angel Clarence can assist and speak for you when we reconvene." Saint Peter instructed. He banged his gavel to make it so.

"Thank you Saint Peter." James said to him and bowed at his bench.

"Thank you Crispus Attucks," James turned to opposing counsel and gave a smaller bow to him.

Crispus Attucks nodded and bowed slightly back to acknowledge his thanks before gathering his books and paperwork to leave the room. His helpers scurried behind him.

James and Clarence left the court looking at each other in relief at the court rulings so far. They both knew however that the court case was only half way over.

James and Clarence returned to their study room.

"I will talk for you in court when we go back," Clarence told him. "Now I have given my evidence, it will be allowed."

"I was hoping you would." James felt relief. He needed the support of someone, even if it was the Angel who had killed him!

James was worried, "How on earth can I prove 3 - My life on Earth has been productive?" He asked Clarence.

Clarence thought for a moment, "Stay here, I'll be back in a moment."

About ten minutes or so later, he was back with James and carrying a rather large book for them both to look at. He had been to the Life library and borrowed James's life book.

"This should give us ideas and help prove your life is or was productive." He told him.

They both began to look through it. James was amazed at the information it contained and had forgotten a lot of the incidents that had occurred in his life.

"Aaa harrr!" Clarence exclaimed. "You remember Rufus MacManus."

"Sure, I do." James said. "He was the snotty nosed kid that got a good hiding at school from the local bullies. I stepped in and took a hiding too."

James recalled wincing at the punches he had received. "I did get a couple of good shots in myself before they took me down."

"Well, as a result of that, Rufus realised he wasn't the only kid who took beatings from them. He took up boxing and weight training, encouraged other misfits to join his gang and became quite the crusader for Nerds!"

"I did that?" James asked, feeling his chest swell in pride.

"Well maybe not, but we can say you did and they can't disprove it." Clarence told him.

James's chest deflated again.

"Here's another," Clarence was excited. "You saved a blackbird's nest that had fallen from a tree in high winds."

"I remember that. I saw it fall. All I did was pick it up and secure it back in the tree. There were three little blue eggs in it. I just hoped the parents wouldn't abandon the nest." James remembered. He had been walking his dog, Marlow, at the time and the weather had been blustery.

"Well unknown to you, the parents did return and the eggs flourished and fledged. There's a whole generation of Blackbirds around because of you ...and because of that they ate berries...

and seeds were deposited in the natural cause of digestion so sunflowers and other seed flowers flourished ...

and then there are insects who visit those flowers...

and of course the enjoyment of their bird song in spring and summer.

The list goes on and on from that one simple action."

Clarence pieced together the life footage to show the court. It would show on the wall of the celestial court rather like a cinema screen and the attendees could see for themselves the impact James's life had had so far on Earth.

James was impressed with Clarence's work with the footage. "Eat your heart out David Attenborough," he complimented to the Angel.

"I'm sure the images showing the eggs hatching and then the fledglings leaving the nest will bring joy to their hearts. No one will be able to dispute that your time on earth has not been productive."

Clarence smiled. "I think point 3 is covered well enough."

He looked at the last 2 points on his list.

4. James had people who loved him that would be wrongly deprived by his early unexpected death.

5. That a future generation will be lost by James's early demise.

James looked too. "How did my Great Grandfather prove the love part?" he asked.

Clarence was thoughtful. "It was a tear, taken to the court on a rose."

Clarence smiled wickedly as an idea began to form in his head. "I know just the thing..." He rushed off without explanation.

It was time for the celestial court to convene once more. James was worried. Clarence had been gone awhile and he needed him.

Just in time, Angel Clarence rushed into the court room carrying a brown paper bag and joined James at his allocated table.

"Thank goodness you are here." James greeted him.

Clarence smiled and when everyone was settled the Angel addressed the court.

"With the court's permission, we would like to take advantage of the Court's visual aids to show how important James Carter's life has been so far.

Crispus Attucks and St Peter both agreed and the room was set up.

Soon pictures of James life was beamed into the room.

There was footage of James's dog, Marlow that he had adopted from a Rescue centre; pictures of the dogs he had helped from his generous donation; a marathon run he had taken part in to help children with cancer and the footage of him discovering the fallen birds nest and him gingerly replacing it and wedging the nest in position.

Following the film of the saved birds, then the bees and the flowers dispersed because of James kindnesses were shown to the attendees and Saint Peter, Angel Clarence addressed the court, "So you see my learn-ed friends, the Earth is a better place for James Carter being in it rather than a drain on society and Earth's resources. In the time he was on Earth, James Carter has been worthy of his life. It has already been productive and he has the potential to do so much more."

James looked at Saint Peter but it seemed hard to tell if he was swayed or not by the cute fledgling chicks.

Crispus Attucks was invited to cross examine James about these good deeds.

Crispus Attucks shook his head. He could not discredit the good James had done with his life so far. He did not want to turn the jury against him. His argument was Fate had taken James's life that night and Fate should not be interfered with. It was a compelling argument, he did not want to ruin.

Angel Clarence returned to the centre of the court floor and stated the next part of the evidence was about to begin and would prove the latter 2 points together. These were:

4. James had people who loved him that would be wrongly deprived by his early unexpected death

and

5. That a future generation will be lost by his early demise.

He used the large court screens once more and James watched open mouthed and wide eyed.

It was last Christmas and Matilda, his girlfriend was decorating the tree and waiting for James to return home. She placed an Angel on the tree top and then the last bauble on the tree.

She turned on the Christmas lights that adorned it. They all lit up giving a comforting and Christmassy glow to the room. She clapped her hands in joy at the sight and placed another log on the open fire. The flames caused a flickering light that added to the romantic atmosphere intended.

She looked around their home and was satisfied that everything was set. Then she went to the bedroom and dressed the part.

James arrived home and knocked at the door. He slid his key into the lock, and shouted, "Honey, I'm ho..."

Matilda dutifully greeted him at the door. She was dressed in a white fur trimmed, sheer negligee. It was exquisite and see through!

He was struck silent at her beauty! He could see her feminine curves and slightly tanned skin through the material. The fur trim was strategically placed so it half covered her breasts and hid her nipples.

The cleavage on show teased and provoked his male urges. The short hem, trimmed with the same matching fur, hid her freshly shaved and trimmed quim.

It was clear, Matilda had seduction on her mind with a capitol S.

She pulled him in to her arms and pressed her body into him. She ground against him and kissed him slow and open mouthed. It was hot, extremely sexy and deliberately tempting him. She crushed even closer against him and managed to kick the door closed while her sexy tongue invaded his mouth, teasing him.

James liked his girlfriend's greeting and kissed her back just as sexily. His sizzling response made her feel bold and confident. His hands roamed over her back, stroking her, grinding the sheer negligee into her skin.

His hands slid up to grip her head, causing the negligee to rise with them. It exposed her bare pussy and ass for a moment against him. That briefest of moments titillated her senses.

She moaned and her pussy flushed wet before the material dropped down again to cover her. He held her close to him enjoying her softness against him. He smelt the fragrance of a fresh shower and his favourite perfume.

She smelt the fresh air and cold of outside on him and the unique essence of her man.

Her hands roamed over his clothed chest, sexily exploring his contours. He was an extremely sexy man and his sharp dressed suit appearance just made her want him more. She slid his suit jacket down his arms and threw it on the back of the sofa.

She pressed her hips into his crotch and ground their sexes together. She felt him stiffen against her swollen clitoris and she pressed in, teasing herself as well as him. She moaned softly in his ear, letting her breath tease.

He felt her heat and her breath caused pleasant shivers of need to run through him. His cock hardened. He wanted her.

Matilda unknotted his tie, arching her back as she leaned back and pushed her pussy harder against his cock. At the same time, she ran her tongue suggestively along her lips. She wanted to draw his attention to her sexy succulent mouth and tease his cock at the same time. It worked. He watched her tongue, mesmerised and growled.

James's hands migrated down her back, again grinding the sheer material into her skin until he finally found the furry hem. He took a moment to enjoy the feel of the fur and tease her bottom with it. Then he hitched up the negligee and placed his hands underneath, gripping and kneading her ripe bare bottom. He moaned softly.

She was a naughty little minx not wearing any panties!

She dropped his tie to the floor and moved him towards the bedroom, while unbuttoning his shirt. He did not object and liked her undressing him. He liked it a lot. She kissed him again, searing hot and very provocative.

Impatiently, James kissed her back, picked her up and carried her to the room.

Matilda giggled and wrapped her legs around his waist.

Now his shirt was open, her naked wet pussy brushed up and down on his belly button as he walked. The sensation teased her and the smeary trails felt on his body excited James.

They reached the bedroom and as she put her legs on the floor, she deliberately caressing him with her inner thighs and began undoing his belt. She continued nibbling his ear and neck.

James walked her back next to the bed and Matilda withdrew his belt and dropped it to the floor. She moved her hands to his crotch and squeezed his cock lewdly through his pants lightly stroking him.

She bit and licked her way down his chest while she hooked her thumbs into his trousers and shoved downwards. His hands gripped her hair, trying to bring her closer to his excited cock.

She squeezed his hard member through his black boxer shorts and she felt a wet spot form on them where the tip of his cock pressed against the material.

A groan escaped James's lips as Matilda kissed the spot and sucked on his cock head through the material.

James made murmurings for her hot mouth on his bare skin, "Put those lips on my cock. Taste me baby."

Her hands roamed over his thighs and up under his boxer shorts to grip his tight buttocks, while she playfully bit, sucked and teased his hard rod through the thin material.

James's moaned and was on fire. Precum seeped from the tip of his cock.

Matilda stood up and placed light kisses over his eyes. She kissed her way down his face to capture his lips in another hot, sizzling kiss while sliding a black, satin blindfold in place.

She wanted to deny his sight for the moment and enhance his other senses, particularly the one of touch.

She turned him round so now his back was towards the bed. When she pushed him back on the bed, James moved towards the centre, of his own volition.

He was excited by this unexpected turn of events. He wanted to see where Matilda was taking this. He knew though, he was going to enjoy every seductive second.

She got on top of him and straddled his hips, sliding her wet thatch on him and danced provocatively on his tummy. He groaned in approval at her seduction, feeling her heat and the wet trails on his skin. She slid her hands up his hard chest, stopping to lightly pinch and tease his nipples.

She slid further up his body and straddled his chest. She took hold of his hand and sucked on every finger, imitating fellatio to perfection making James moan and want more.