A Momentary Lapse of Ethics 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good luck Doc," Lady Dynamic wished him. Once they were safely down the hall Lady Dynamic turned to Lady Jackal and said, "Let's go and change."

"I can handle this with a simple illusion Dynamic," Lady Jackal informed her. After a few incantations the two women looked to be in normal street attire and took after the hero and the villainess.

(Walking the streets)

A man bumped into Lady Bloodstone and she turned viciously on him. He glanced at her salaciously then shrugged and went about his day.

"You can't go atomizing everyone who is rude to you," Doctor Life whispered. Bloodstone growled. "What do I call you?" he asked.

"What?" she snarled.

"I can't call you Princess Bloodstone, Princess, or Bloodstone without drawing attention," he pointed out. Her look went from angry to contemplative.

"Terra; call me Terra," she stated. "What do I call you?"

"Conrad," he smiled.

"What now?" Terra grimaced.

"How about a park or maybe a library?" suggested Conrad. "May I hold your hand?"

"Why?" she asked suspiciously.

"If we are seen as a couple you will have fewer interactions with people seeking your affections."

"I am not afraid of any possible suitors. Many have tired and all have failed," Terra boasted.

"Since we don't want to start a series of fist fights ..." he began but as they rounded the street into Hero Plaza a host of birds took light and Terra was brought up short as she stood in awe.

She turned to Conrad with a sense of adulation on her face. Like everything else Princess Bloodstone did, power equaled pain. Flying wasn't something she enjoyed. Nothing was free to be enjoyed for what it was. She grabbed his hand and beginning pulling Conrad toward some vendors.

"I want some of that ... and that ... and that!" she shouted. It had dawned on her that food would no longer turn to ash in her mouth. Terra was going hog wild. All the time Doctor Life watched over her and indulged her. Finally they were sitting on a park bench downing a pizza. She said to him.

"How much longer do I have?" she asked sadly.

"About two hours," he informed her.

"NO!" she sobbed, "there is so much I still want to do."

"Then you come back to me," Conrad promised her.

"You are with the Alliance and I am with the Regents; we are enemies," Terra proclaimed.

"Am I your friend?" Conrad asked. Terra hesitated.

"You confuse me. This is not over between the two of us. If we meet again in battle expect no mercy," insisted Terra.

"Come to me when you need help Princess Bloodstone. I will help you as much as I'm able," Conrad stated. Terra lowered her head. She had started the day so condescending and proud and was now reduced to mere minutes before her insanity would overtake her.

"I think there is a way to permanently reduce your pain and suffering while maintaining your powers, but it will take a lot of work and research; mundane and mystical. Do you want me to try?"

"What will be the cost?"

"I'm a doctor; I treat people based on what they can afford. In your case I would ask for magical talent to be put to use by the Alliance," he suggested.

"I won't do it!" Terra insisted.

"Well, the offer is open if you change your mind," Conrad said.

After walking for about thirty minutes Conrad made notice of something.

"It is strange to be regarded with neither fear nor loathing, isn't it?"

"What ... what do you mean? These people would be wise in fearing me," she countered.

"Not right now; you are an exceptionally beautiful girl, you are drawing some male attention, and people are smiling at you. Is that so bad?" he said. Terra muttered by way of reply.

"I hate this traffic," she griped as they walked past some stalls on Center Street. "If I want to get around I can either fly or open a Blood Portal to where I want to go. This sucks. I can't even remember why I am doing this."

"Reach your hand up," directed Conrad. When she did so he added, "what do you feel?" It took her a moment to catch on.

"The Sun; I can feel the Sun warming my body," she whispered.

"And the press of these bodies is not something you can enjoy, or get irritated by, on your own. You can buy stuff at normal tables getting actual people get things that look right for you."

"I don't need anyone's fashion advice," she mumbled.

"Because you always wear the same style of costume," he finished. "But what if you want to go out on your own?"

"I don't need that," she snapped.

"Yet here we are," Conrad pointed out. Terra stomped her foot in frustration.

"You did something to me," she accused him.

"You know precisely what I did to you; I took away the pain. The rest of this is only you. I have to say that you are somewhat of a bitch." Terra glared hate at Conrad. "You claim to despise these little people yet here you are trying to lose yourself among them."

"I'll never do this again. This had been a colossal waste of my time," she declared.

"Pity because I think you are secretly enjoying yourself. Next time if you give me some advance warning I can take us to thing you might enjoy more." Terra looked at Conrad for signs of deception.

"You would betray me," she stated.

"Am I betraying you now?" he replied. "We both know it is within my power yet I have done nothing to you. You are my guest and my teammates respect my desires on your behalf. You are safe with me." They walked on in silence for over a minute.

"What would we do?" she asked.

"I figure hit a few clubs then an underground rock concert – something hardcore and more to your tastes than a walk in the park," he offered. Her eye got a glint in them.

"You don't look like the hardcore type," she commented.

"I go to all kinds of places. You would be surprised," he explained. They walked along for a bit longer.

"How about next Saturday night?"

"Consider it done," he nodded.

"I still won't join your super team," Terra stated.

"I'm not asking you to. I'm asking you to give us mystical help if something arises that Jackal Girl can't handle alone; to simply be a neutral party." She thought that over for a moment.

"I might – might be able to do that," Terra conceded.

They spent the rest of the afternoon experiencing so many of the little things in life that too many people take for granted. When she felt the pain coming back on they made their way to an alleyway and he helped her change back into Princess Bloodstone. The transformation overcame her and she found herself looking into his eyes with the rage returned.

"This is worse than ever," she seethed as Bloodstone energy crackled around her fists. Lady Dynamic and Jackal Girl got ready to intervene but Doctor Life remained stoic.

"It will take time to get used to," he informed the Princess, "but you will find it easier to deal with the more time you spend as a normal person."

"I don't want to be normal," she insisted.

"Are we still on for Saturday Night?" he countered. She hesitated, torn between watching his flesh ripped away with her awesome might and some mysterious desire to do things her normal powers wouldn't allow.

"Fine," she allowed before she created a portal in space and stepped away. Lady Dynamic and Jackal Girl walked up to him as he came out of the alley.

"She could have annihilated you," Lady Dynamic noted.

"People want what they don't have," Doctor Life answered.

"That is your plan?" Jackal Girl scoffed.

"Sometimes you don't need to overthink these things," he grinned.

"Are you really planning convert her with kindness?" Lady Dynamic questioned.

"That's not the hard part. The hard part is getting her legally rehabilitated. Making her a 'good guy' and disrupting the Regents of Wrath isn't doing us much good if she ends up in prison," he pointed out. The two women didn't say anything for a few moments.

"Does Crimson Veil know about this?" Jackal Girl asked.

"I'll tell her when I get back to HQ," he admitted, "but I would imagine she knows."

"I have to see this," Lady Dynamic grinned. It was with some surprise that Crimson Veil gave it her nod right off the bat. Dr. Life had been right about her figuring him out.

"Why?" Jackal Girl wondered after the good doctor had left Crimson Veil.

"She hates us but not him and face it; the Regents are our biggest foe. If we can weaken them we go a long way to making this city safer. If we can do it with kindness so much the better," Crimson Veil pointed out. Lady Dynamic had to admit it wasn't something she hadn't thought of, but then she thought of Princess Bloodstone as an egotistical, blood thirsty slut.

(Saturday)

Lady Dynamic (Sarah Beltran) was adjusting some of the largest pieces of Conrad's furniture as Jackal Girl (Alisha al Ryahda) was establishing the last wards when there was a knock at the door. Conrad St. John opened it and after a moment stepped side. Jackal Girl looked over to the door and grimaced at Princess Bloodstone. There was a stand off until Jackal Girl informed Conrad of a most pertinent fact.

"There is a ward that only allows accepted visitor – you have to invite her in."

"I could knock down this pathetic barrier if I wanted," Princess Bloodstone scoffed.

"But thank you for not doing it," Conrad grinned. "Please come in."

Princess Bloodstone stepped in with a tote bag and looked around clearly disrespecting her surroundings.

"Being a hero doesn't pay well," she commented.

"How did you find us, you witch?" Lady Dynamic asked.

"I am one of the most powerful sorceresses that have ever existed; finding one mere mortal is no hard task," bragged the Princess.

"I invited her over," Dr. Life informed them. Jackal Girl shook her head and looked down.

"Why do I bother?" Alisha groaned.

"I promise she's the only one," Conrad assured his team mystic.

"I'm ready," Princess Bloodstone declared as she began stripping down. The other two women stared at her.

"Body conscious much?" Lady Dynamic asked Jackal Girl as Princess's clothes went down into a pile on the ground.

"Pardon me, but are those tits real?" Jackal Girl wondered. Lady Dynamic looked down at her own abundant rack.

This time Princess Bloodstone took off all he clothes then Conrad began working his own peculiar form of power once more. His touch brought instant relief to her features turning anger to happiness. When he moved his hands around her neck she smiled at him.

"I'm sorry," Princess Bloodstone stated.

"What?" the three heroes all said

"I was bitchy last week and I shouldn't have been. Sometimes when you are superior to everyone it is easy to forget lesser people have feelings too," the Princess explained.

"Princess Bloodstone, remind me when we next meet time to knock your superior ass into next week," Lady Dynamic smiled. Bloodstone didn't take that well.

"Let's leave next time to next time and not ruin the moment," Conrad requested. Right then his hand reached round the Princess' shoulders and over her back. She pressed herself against the doctor.

"Mmmm ..." she murmured. "That feels nice."

"Please," muttered Jackal Girl sarcastically. Lady Dynamic nudged her. She was getting turned on by watching the two supers interacting. The Doctor had a sensuous touch and the Princess was either enjoying it entirely too much or over acting well. By the time he finished Lady Dynamic felt the need to find someone herself.

Conrad and 'Terra' dressed and headed out to the first club of the night leaving Jackal Girl and Lady Dynamic at his place.

"Do you know any other-worldly amulets that can possess me?" Jackal Girl asked.

"That's her problem? I thought she was having permanent PMS," Lady Dynamic joked.

"You know if Technetronic touched me that way I'd punch his lights out, so why is it okay if he does it?" Jackal Girl asked.

"Did you get turned on by watching him with Bloodstone?" Dynamic countered.

"Yes," Jackal Girl admitted.

"If he can do that without trying, imagine what he could do if he put his mind to it," Lady Dynamic sighed. "They only thing is he's apparently a lot older than he looks. I'm not sure he regards us in the same light as we regard him. We are only kids to him."

"Maybe I can change his mind," Jackal Girl mused. With that thought the two heroines left for their own night on the town.

(Saturday Night)

"Terra," Conrad called out to her over the noise, "How do you like it so far?" It had been tough initially. Terra was used to a wall of sanctity that surrounded her. It had been weakened in their first outing but totally torn down here in the club where bodies everywhere pressed against bodies. Terra turned to him and smiled gleefully.

"Paige," she shouted over the noise, "my name is Paige."

"Well Paige, do you like it?" She nodded her head and went back to dancing. When they moved to the sides after the current band had finished Paige pulled him close.

"I could never do this before. Ummm ... thank you."

"No problem Paige. You really brighten up when you are having fun like this," Conrad responded.

"Do you really think you can let me keep my powers and feel like this too?" she said in a quieter tone.

"Yes," Dr. Life nodded. "I can handle the channeling of life force but you need someone to handle the magical shunting of the power. Do you know of any magi you can trust with this?"

"No," she sighed as she shook her head. "I haven't made many friends in my line of work. Sure there are a few who fear me, but I would hardly put my power in their hands."

"Fine, Jackal Girl it is," Conrad assured her.

"What? No way. First off, she's not powerful enough. Secondly, she hates me."

"She's powerful enough if you help her," Dr. Life pointed out, "and she doesn't hate you so much as she stands against what you have been standing for – the unrestrained use of magical power. I think the two of you can work something out."

"I don't hate what I stand for, Conrad. I like the way I am, I just don't like the price I have to pay to keep what I have," she stated. Dr. Life looked at her for a long minute.

"Why should I help you then?" he asked.

"I've looked you up; you help good and bad alike, so why won't you help me?"

"I try to save lives, Paige. How am I saving lives by helping you?" he countered.

"So you won't help me because I won't change who I am," she stated angrily.

"I never said that. What I said was what is in it for me?" he answered. Now she studied him.

"What do you want?" she asked. "We could be allies ... or lovers," she offered.

"Thanks but no thanks," Dr. Life laughed. "I have enough psycho-ex-girlfriends as it is." Paige glared at him. "I want you to think about what you are doing. What are you going to do when you rule this dimension? What is going to happen to all the people, street vendors you liked, or this club? Won't you destroy them too?"

"Sacrifices have to be made," she declared with conviction.

"But will having it be worth whatever shell you have left?" he asked. "Sure you are powerful, but what you do with it is up to you. Do you protect the pieces of reality you treasure, or do you keep destroying what you value until you are left with only the things you don't care about?"

"I can have it both ways," Paige replied.

"It never works out that way," Dr. Life warned her. He put his arms around her waist and drew her to him despite some resistance. "I don't want you tossing away all that you are about to gain because of something some other entity has pushed you to do."

"The Bloodstone does not control me," Paige responded.

"Then why do you want to control the world?" Conrad asked. She had no immediate answer.

"It is my destiny," she finally managed to say.

"How are you supposed to lead this world then?" he inquired.

"Huh?"

"Couldn't you rise up to lead the superhumans?" he suggested. "Be the greatest superhuman of them all."

"What do you mean?" she murmured into his shoulder.

"I'll let you think about it, Paige. The new band is on and we have some serious partying to do," he said as he pulled her face to face with him. He led her back onto the floor where the music and the press of bodies drove other worries from her mind.

(Two Weeks Later)

Lady Dynamic flew into HQ for her share of watching over the city. If everything remained quiet it would also give her a chance to put in some work on her Master's project. As she came in she saw Crimson Veil and Doctor Light laughing and talking. They had run the night shift and since Conrad St. John had set aside his practice, Dr. Life and Crimson Veil had been scouring the town together.

The two superheroes did what they did because it was their calling. Lady Dynamic knew she had stumbled across this line of work and while one day she would be good at it, she was still so new. Jackal Girl had suddenly been handled her family's destiny one day out of the blue. T-Rex, like Lady Dynamic had been part of some accident. Only Technetronic had grown up with his power, but to him superheroing was something he did for fun.

"Hey Boss," Lady Dynamic called out, "anything happen I need to know about?"

"We put twelve members of the Leonard Street Gang away, so keep your ears open for any activity with the twelfth precinct," she sighed musically. It was a strange noise for Dynamic to hear from her mentor.

"Care for a bit of sparing," Crimson Veil asked Dr. Life.

"Sounds good to me," he answered. They made their way to that side of the complex while Lady Dynamic settled in. After a little while curiosity got the better of her and Dynamic took a look see into how things were going on between the two heroes.

Right off the bat Lady Dynamic could tell that Crimson Veil was the better combatant, but Dr. Life had his own way of fighting that revolved around taking a blow and then transferring the energy back on his attacker so they were more closely matched than it initially appeared. When it ended it was over in a flash.

Crimson did a nearly impossible acrobatic move that resulted in her sweeping Dr. Life off his feet. She did a quick roll and ended on top of him, curved blade to his throat. They were both panting heavily. Dr. Life pulled back his face covering.

"You win," he smiled. "That was one hell of a work out." Crimson Veil sheathed her knife, pulled back her hood and looked down on him smiling just as much as he was.

Then she kissed him and not in a way that could be misconstrued as friendly or platonic. Lady Dynamic, Crimson Veil, and Dr. Light all seemed surprised.

"I'm sorry," Crimson Veil said in a panicked voice. She tried to stand up but Dr. Light stopped her.

"I'm not," he whispered to her and kissed her back. Crimson rested herself against his chest and kissed him for what seemed like the longest time. Lady Dynamic felt as if she was intruding on a special moment but couldn't turn away.

"What now?" Crimson asked.

"We take it one step at a time," he answered. "Face it, our jobs take up most of our time, but at least we get to work together. Maybe we can take a night off here or there and go do something more normal.

"There is one thing I need to know," Crimson sighed. "What happened to Jennifer Morales?"

"She died; she was murdered," he clarified. Lady Dynamic made a note of the name.

"What happened to the man who did it?" she persisted.

"The Corrupter; I haven't finished him yet, but I will," he confessed. The name wasn't a familiar villain to Lady Dynamic.

"Oh," Crimson said in a small voice.

"What are you going to do when you catch up to the Eternal Flame?" he inquired.

"I've dreamed of killing him," Crimson Veil admitted. Lady Dynamic knew how strong Crimson Veil's code against murder was. To hear her put it aside for anything or anyone ...

"What does that make us? Are we really any better than they are in the end?" she sighed.

"With them it is a way of getting through the day; for us it is a momentary lapse of ethics," Dr. Life told her.