All Comments on 'A Need To Understand Myself'

by SweetAngel36

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
estragonestragonabout 13 years ago
No Domination Without Pain

No rose without a thorn. But pain inflicted need not be torture, if properly done in a trusting, loving relationship. Your ex was a sadist, not a true Dom. But finding the right one, the Dom who is not a sadist--as the poet said, "and that made all the difference." It's not easy.

hoo_hoo_boohoo_hoo_booabout 13 years ago

I've been there and done that- not quite the same but so similar and it takes a long time to reclaim one's self. Ultimately, we have to retake control. ( I don't like the arrogance of someone who decides that they are a Dom, because they would ultimately seek to deprive me of myself and I suspect that is akin to murder. What difference is there between a Dom and a bully? In my case the murder was metaphorical but was close to literal. When some one is driven to suicide I call it murder. That anyone should be driven to that point indicates how much of a bully the perpetrator is and one must wonder about possible diagnoses- psychopath easily comes to mind as does obsessive / compulsive.)

It takes a long time but its worth it, memories will always remain but they will only be memories in the end. Please get on with your life, sometimes so many answers aren't worth the questions that have to be asked to get them. It's wise though to know enough that you can avoid the same happening again. Good luck.

RHinSCRHinSCabout 13 years ago
Yes...

I think that there can be domination without pain. You can dominate with just a look. Your ex was a controlling sadist, he was also very insecure. If he wasn't he would not have moved hundreds of miles away and cut off your families and friends. He was afraid he would loose you, that says it all. By my standards he was a weak man. Would he stand up to other men? If not, more weakness. It sounds like you want a traditional marriage with a normal man and not a freak. Nothing strange about that. I would guess that at least half of the men today are still men and not sensitive wimps. You want a marriage with mutual love and appreciation. Again nothing strange about that. Your experience may have changed you, but you can still move on with a normal man who is sure of himself. Time may not heal all wounds, but it sounds like a strong and decent man will do wonders making you forget. :) There is a difference between strength and domination.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Thank You For Writing This

Thank you for writing this essay, Sweet Angel. I've been trying to write a story for some time in which the antagonist is, essentially, your ex-husband. So this will help me understand what people like this do. It won't help me understand why they do it, because I personally don't understand either the desire for dominance or submission. But it will definitely assist me in portraying a monstrous character akin to your ex.

May your future be bright and include someone who will love, respect, and cherish you as a person.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous